Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 May 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3737695)   #1
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Security up this year. Expect delays when entering circuit, parking, and campsites.

A poster on pistonheads, a Brit living in Le Mans has had a chat with the head of security of the 24 Hrs Circuit, and security will be upped this year. This year at Spa it was the first time that I had my bags checked, must be similar at Le Mans. Where to hide my stash of Orval for getting it on the campsite?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=25&t=1675437
Old 31 May 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3737711)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think we can all understand the need for extra security, but i am sure we will all find ways to ensure the supply of much needed refreshment for the superb weather Ayse has assured us we will be getting, anyway see you in 3 days Vince
Old 31 May 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3737724)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully (and purely out of self interest) they will differentiate between internal and external campsites (ie. ones where you have to scan your ticket to enter (eg. Houx)).

Also, I can't see how you can do a proper effective search of the contents of every car entering the campsite. Normally they are just checking for cases of glass beer bottles, not a 'suspect device' that could be in a small backpack.

Checking pedestrians is more simple though, and indeed it is quite normal to be 'patted down' in addition to bag searches when visiting the away end at a major football game.

A longer term plan would be to add some more walls and fencing to make sites like Houx outside the main spectator area so you can scan and check people coming from the campsite into circuit proper.
Old 31 May 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3737734)   #4
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunatly we live in a world where it is nessesary, I'll be patient and respectfull to those who are securing my safety.
Old 31 May 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3737742)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i totally agree, they are doing a job that we are effectively paying them to do, so be polite and accept that they are trying to make everything safe for those attending
Old 31 May 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3737755)   #6
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As long as they are securing my safety and not trying to secure themselves a larger profit at the food and drink stands then I don't mind.
Old 31 May 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3737761)   #7
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I'm just curious, what not obvious items are not allowed in the campsites or circuit? Like obviously you can't (and shouldn't) bring a gun or fireworks, etc. Bottled beer is not allowed? Would that mean a bottle of wine is also not allowed? I'm just curious about what camping enjoyment things I have to consider either not buying, or hiding more carefully.

What are thoughts on how best then to smuggle alcoholic beverages in for the meeting on Saturday? Am I going to be shoving two bottles of moonshine into my crotch?
Old 31 May 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3737762)   #8
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There were bag searches on pedestrian entrances last year too.

In terms of your hooch perhaps get it in to plastic water bottles to bring in, which you'd likely be doing anyway.
Old 31 May 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3737766)   #9
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetdave901 View Post
There were bag searches on pedestrian entrances last year too.

In terms of your hooch perhaps get it in to plastic water bottles to bring in, which you'd likely be doing anyway.
Okay, so as long as liquids are in plastic bottles rather than glass there are no issues???
Old 31 May 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3737771)   #10
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Cans and plastic should be OK, yes. But like Simmi said, let's hope it's not a way to secure increased food and drink sales, instead of securing security.
Old 31 May 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3737772)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Glass has been a problem for as long as i have been going, in the early years the area in front of the stands on the pit straight was covered in dumpy bottles by sunday and safety is the reason for the ban, but in recent years the ban has extended to the campsites within the GE area, however it never seems to stop people, however a few cans to take with you when you go to watch the race are always needed
Old 31 May 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3737780)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We've been here before with the glass bottles and security. I recall having my camera bag checked on my first entry to the circuit on the Wednesday last year - but at no stage thereafter. It's one thing to say it - but another to actually do it.
Old 31 May 2017, 21:12 (Ref:3737826)   #13
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My dear friends, do know that allowing or not alcoholic bottles does totally not depend of security. It is written in the ACO rules that bringing alcoholic beverages is forbidden. here is the link for the access regulation but in french. Sorry impossible to find an english version.
https://ticket.lemans.org/files/regl...cuits-2015.pdf
See article 6 that says it is forbidden to "smuggle" ( inroduire en fraude) or "bringing in force" ( introduire par force ) alcoholic beverages.

And the forbidden items:
At the 24 Hours of Le Mans circuit, you are strictly forbidden from possessing any kind of weapon, any dangerous or illegal object or substance (knives, cutters, bombs, explosives, scissors, aerosols/gas) or glass bottles. You may be searched on entering the site, and entry may be refused in the event of failure to comply with instructions.

Last edited by batmobile; 31 May 2017 at 21:17.
Old 31 May 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3737828)   #14
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
Well, apart from bombs and explosives, I'll bring all of the forbidden items with me
Old 31 May 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3737830)   #15
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Well, apart from bombs and explosives, I'll bring all of the forbidden items with me
Old 31 May 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3737831)   #16
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
So you also bring all kinds of weapons?
Old 1 Jun 2017, 05:36 (Ref:3737865)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well let us say that when camping, gas for cooking, knife for eating with, sharpe knife;=s for cooking, alcohol (both cooking and drinking) lighters, hammers for driving in tent pegs are all requirements, so security will have a very difficult job deciding what banned and what is not.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3737898)   #18
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
beer in cans is also alcoholic beverages, hope that will be allowed
Old 1 Jun 2017, 10:25 (Ref:3737904)   #19
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We've had beer cans confiscated going from Houx campsite into the circuit itself. It's a bit hit and miss though and normally it's possible to hide a few tinnies.

Hence my saying a big part of it is just ensuring they make money.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 11:17 (Ref:3737910)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
never had then query cans or plastic, last year we had to drain sevral bottles before we could get in at the main enterance by TR and then empty two water bottles so that we could pour the remaining cider bottles contents into the plastic water bottles as suggested by the security people
Old 1 Jun 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3737976)   #21
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As far as I understand there is a ban on bottles, not cans and ofcourse large gas bottles.
Old 1 Jun 2017, 18:13 (Ref:3737978)   #22
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
As far as I understand there is a ban on bottles, not cans and ofcourse large gas bottles.
The glass bottle ban has been around for a while, but have they extended it to plastic bottles too?
Old 1 Jun 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3737979)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
no i am sure it is just small glass bottles as always
Old 1 Jun 2017, 19:52 (Ref:3738007)   #24
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
no i am sure it is just small glass bottles as always
Yep, glass bottles. Never had problems with plastic or cans.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3738105)   #25
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We will talk about this topic on next Sunday.