Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 May 2015, 13:12 (Ref:3539310)   #276
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
This season I have been annoyed more than ever by Hindy's severe sportscar fan inferiority complex i.e. the continuous, irrelevant and pointless jabs at F1 often based cherry picked facts. I'm afraid a lot of people only like that and identify with him, but I don't and when you hear the two-thousand-horsepower circlejerk for the tenth time in the first hour of the race, it gets old really quickly. Someone should seriously tell him this could be really off-putting to new fans trying to get into the series.

I think I actually hope the two guys from the official ELMS stream will be on the WEC App Le Mans feed.
I often agree with his jabs against F1. Commentary isn't the place for that though. In commentary it comes across as an inferiority complex, yes. It's like a rugby commentator nervous about the challenge from soccer. He should confine his withering if not altogether off base criticism of F1 to his show. Sportscars stands entirely on its own two feet - or at least it should and his commentary should reflect that imo.
Old 19 May 2015, 13:49 (Ref:3539320)   #277
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's like a rugby commentator nervous about the challenge from soccer.
Does that actually happen in rugby? Mostly this constant juxtaposition seems to be something specific to motorsport, and not just sportscars but for example Europeans always laughing at oval racing or motorbikes vs. auto racing. Might be explained by the fact everything is still counted as motorsport, but there are so many entirely different disciplines inside it, while most non-motorsports have a clear ladder system with little question about which one is the top league and they're all inside the same sport, so there's little reason to do comparisons.

Quote:
Sportscars stands entirely on its own two feet - or at least it should and his commentary should reflect that imo.
There was a great article on Autosport+ after Spa, point was exactly that.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...-the-wec-down/
Old 19 May 2015, 14:37 (Ref:3539332)   #278
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Does that actually happen in rugby? Mostly this constant juxtaposition seems to be something specific to motorsport, and not just sportscars but for example Europeans always laughing at oval racing or motorbikes vs. auto racing. Might be explained by the fact everything is still counted as motorsport, but there are so many entirely different disciplines inside it, while most non-motorsports have a clear ladder system with little question about which one is the top league and they're all inside the same sport, so there's little reason to do comparisons.
I wouldn't overthink this. It doesn't happen with rugby AFAIK. But if it did happen in rugby; if the commentators made - whether legitimate/illegitimate - jabs against soccer in a recurring way, then it would come across as an inferiority complex.
Old 20 May 2015, 14:29 (Ref:3539665)   #279
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This season I have been annoyed more than ever by Hindy's severe sportscar fan inferiority complex i.e. the continuous, irrelevant and pointless jabs at F1 often based cherry picked facts. I'm afraid a lot of people only like that and identify with him, but I don't and when you hear the two-thousand-horsepower circlejerk for the tenth time in the first hour of the race, it gets old really quickly. Someone should seriously tell him this could be really off-putting to new fans trying to get into the series.

I think I actually hope the two guys from the official ELMS stream will be on the WEC App Le Mans feed.
Only this isn't true (the description of the commentary, not your being annoyed by it!) - after getting an email from a viewer quoting this I went back over both the full Silverstone and Spa race broadcasts - a total of 14 hours of broadcasting.

Unless I missed something there were a sum total of 6 mentions of F1 across the two races, four of which responded to viewer questions. In total they added up to rather less than 5 minutes.

So not continuous, and certainly not irrelevant.

More than happy to take constructive criticism on board (indeed that's why I went back to check) but in this case, sorry but simply not justified.
Old 20 May 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3539681)   #280
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I thought my comment pretty obviously exaggerating on purpose (the 10 times in 1st hour thing) just to make the point and provoke a bit (looks the provocation worked ) and I wasn't talking about just this year's races, I only said this year I have found it to be more annoying. Also, I only specified Hindy. Rest of the team including you do not do it in the same way at all.

We are talking about the same thing, the WEC stream commentary and not the real RLM audio only one?

I have to say I'm surprised if the magic words of F1 were mentioned just 6 times, but that would then exclude all the times Hindy makes the sort of references where he might not mention "F1" directly, but considering the context it is nearly the same thing.

I just don't understand why tell the viewer/listener repeatedly or not, who is most likely already a fan of the series, that he is watching the best and most technological thing in the history of everything.

Last edited by deggis; 20 May 2015 at 15:43.
Old 20 May 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3539708)   #281
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe it's just that sometimes sportscar fans really can't resist the urge to gloat........
Old 20 May 2015, 17:21 (Ref:3539712)   #282
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well we all thing sportscar racing is better, thats why we follow it, but most of us will also watch F1 it is just we prefer sportscars
Old 20 May 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3539745)   #283
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The thing is Simon, I stay awake for a 24 hour race at Le Mans, but struggle to do that for an hour and a half GP.......
Old 20 May 2015, 19:46 (Ref:3539758)   #284
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I thought my comment pretty obviously exaggerating on purpose (the 10 times in 1st hour thing) just to make the point and provoke a bit (looks the provocation worked ) and I wasn't talking about just this year's races, I only said this year I have found it to be more annoying. Also, I only specified Hindy. Rest of the team including you do not do it in the same way at all.

We are talking about the same thing, the WEC stream commentary and not the real RLM audio only one?

I have to say I'm surprised if the magic words of F1 were mentioned just 6 times, but that would then exclude all the times Hindy makes the sort of references where he might not mention "F1" directly, but considering the context it is nearly the same thing.

I just don't understand why tell the viewer/listener repeatedly or not, who is most likely already a fan of the series, that he is watching the best and most technological thing in the history of everything.
Neither John nor I contribute to the RLM audio feed for the WEC.

There's a balance to be drawn between explaining the context for the performance of the LMP1s against other, better known and understood top ranking race cars and flogging a dead horse. it's something that John and I have discussed at length and, honestly, I don't think we come anywhere close to any undefined 'line in the sand'
Old 21 May 2015, 05:15 (Ref:3539824)   #285
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The thing is Simon, I stay awake for a 24 hour race at Le Mans, but struggle to do that for an hour and a half GP.......
It is all in the planning, plenty of fresh strong coffee during the race and lots of sleep before the race starts and you should last the full 2 hours without nodding off
Old 21 May 2015, 06:52 (Ref:3539835)   #286
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Only this isn't true (the description of the commentary, not your being annoyed by it!) - after getting an email from a viewer quoting this I went back over both the full Silverstone and Spa race broadcasts - a total of 14 hours of broadcasting.

Unless I missed something there were a sum total of 6 mentions of F1 across the two races, four of which responded to viewer questions. In total they added up to rather less than 5 minutes.

So not continuous, and certainly not irrelevant.

More than happy to take constructive criticism on board (indeed that's why I went back to check) but in this case, sorry but simply not justified.
It's hard to shake a reputation?

14 hours! Crikey that must have been fun
Old 21 May 2015, 10:55 (Ref:3539870)   #287
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
It was in several segments - in the background in the office!
Old 21 May 2015, 11:14 (Ref:3539878)   #288
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
It was in several segments - in the background in the office!
You mean in the shed???
Old 21 May 2015, 12:18 (Ref:3539898)   #289
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
You know the answer! ;-)
Old 21 May 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3539901)   #290
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Seeing as I'm the person who usually brings up this complaint I suppose I should offer my opinion for what it's worth...

It's not been an issue either during the Silverstone or Spa broadcasts. While I can see how comments that duck out of naming F1 proper (for instance, "real racing" sticks out) could be interpreted as digs, at that point you're really having to look out for things to complain about. As for the comparisons they are inevitable given the similarities in the regulations, even if the end product is rather different. As has been mentioned, they haven't cropped up a lot either.

As for Hindhaugh's giddiness, I don't blame him. I'd probably be more muted in his place but we have a very good thing going in sportscars at the moment and it should be enjoyed while it lasts.
Old 22 May 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3540134)   #291
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
I think it is a feature of his commentary over the years. I don't think it needs to be said that many times for it to make a mark in the mind.

It's not an accusation of murder and if he's stopped it this year, cool. And if he hasn't stopped it this year, well, OK, it's not that big a deal.
Old 22 May 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3540222)   #292
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Mind you, I will probably blow my top if I get told what 'momentarily' means again this year.....
Old 27 May 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3541773)   #293
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

There was a great article on Autosport+ after Spa, point was exactly that.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...-the-wec-down/
I'd struggle to call that article 'great' tbh, came across as very sour to me.
Old 27 May 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3541835)   #294
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No I agree with deggis and Straw. It becomes bore after a while. And Graham may refer to those "just 6 mentions" again, but there have been indirect referrals too and overuses of superlatives. Clearly people have noted that, I've seen comments on Autosport forums and other places of this too.

Though I noted during N24 that Graham didn't want to do comparisons when John was implying to go down that road again, so kudos to him.

Last edited by Deleted; 27 May 2015 at 18:18.
Old 27 May 2015, 18:46 (Ref:3541853)   #295
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
There are moments when I feel that some are looking for things to have a snipe at!

At the Nurburgring 24 Hours we broadcast live for c.26 hours straight - If what you are looking for is simply a blow by blow account of the race with no additional colour, interaction or debate then I'd lay good money that you're in a tiny minority.

Anyone here is perfectly entitled to express an opinion - but only as entitled as the (very) large number of people that interact with us on air and ask for comparisons from time to time. We also discussed WTCC, Rallycross, IndyCar MotoGP and a whole range of other motorsport. It most certainly did not dominate proceedings.

ref Edd's piece on Autosport.com - he has specifically made it clear that he was NOT referring to either RLM or the WEC TV commentary.

As for indirect references and overuse of superlatives - really? This is TV commentary, designed to entertain and inform not a powerpoint presentation.
Old 27 May 2015, 21:49 (Ref:3541895)   #296
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well Graham, i know a few on here will moan a little and i suppose with my comment about getting fed up with the eat, sleep drive repeat advert you might count me as one of those but your efforts knowledge and comments are appreciated and i for one would expect you to pass on that this forum supports RLM and would be lost without it, and as my first trip was in 1985 i remember what it was like before so please, accept on behalf of RLM, my thanks for all the effort and enjoyment that you have given over the years.
Old 28 May 2015, 06:54 (Ref:3541989)   #297
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the subject of sponsors and adverts, before the days of "The Nissan Pitlane Team" and the like, there were actual advert breaks with the same ads playing all week long, which was much more annoying and interupting to the flow of commentary.

Also, any idea of when the Preview shows are planned for broadcast/download ?
Old 28 May 2015, 08:44 (Ref:3542013)   #298
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Now we have someone from Radio Le Mans present, I'll ask my Viper question again:

In the late '90s you used to play a Dodge Viper ad, it kind of went like this: a guy has a house with a small living, a small bedroom, a small kitchen, and a BIG GAAAARRRRAAAAGGGGEEEEE (add emphasis at will).

Graham, Do you perhaps have a soundclip of this ad?

Thx,

Vincent
Old 31 May 2015, 09:35 (Ref:3543238)   #299
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would be good if something could be done about the relative sound levels. The big difference is always the jingles; they are so much louder than the normal chat. Painfully so. The pit lane levels can differ to the studio too, although I see how this is harder to do. However the jingles should be easy to fix.
Old 31 May 2015, 09:47 (Ref:3543246)   #300
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It would be good if something could be done about the relative sound levels. The big difference is always the jingles; they are so much louder than the normal chat. Painfully so. The pit lane levels can differ to the studio too, although I see how this is harder to do. However the jingles should be easy to fix.
I jumped from my chair when I heard the first commercial. Wasn't funny.