Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Aug 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4066785)   #876
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or the annual interview with a certain former team owner where he refers to drivers needing to bin the cars by 9 pm so they can all go to the pub......
Old 16 Aug 2021, 12:32 (Ref:4066998)   #877
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheese

A real shame if they can't broadcast live at the circuit.

Starting to feel like I should have made plans to come over for the race, but the past few weeks have been a bit bonkers and I wouldn't really be able to give the race the days it requires. Plus have just been away for 2 weeks north of the border with the family.
Old 16 Aug 2021, 12:55 (Ref:4067003)   #878
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps View Post
A real shame if they can't broadcast live at the circuit.

Starting to feel like I should have made plans to come over for the race, but the past few weeks have been a bit bonkers and I wouldn't really be able to give the race the days it requires. Plus have just been away for 2 weeks north of the border with the family.
Ah, tell me about it. I made a conscious decision not to go about 4 months ago, bearing in mind the situation at the time. James (Bentley) and our friend Tony have gone and seem to be having a fantastic time, even getting to see most of the test day. I'm pretty down in the dumps about it, if I'm honest.... I've insisted they send me photos but it's pretty hard to deal with....
Old 16 Aug 2021, 14:30 (Ref:4067027)   #879
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Ah, tell me about it. I made a conscious decision not to go about 4 months ago, bearing in mind the situation at the time. James (Bentley) and our friend Tony have gone and seem to be having a fantastic time, even getting to see most of the test day. I'm pretty down in the dumps about it, if I'm honest.... I've insisted they send me photos but it's pretty hard to deal with....
We'll just have to make 2022 an even bigger event!!
Old 16 Aug 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4067032)   #880
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's gonna have to be good!
Old 16 Aug 2021, 23:20 (Ref:4067109)   #881
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If FP1 isn’t televised it will make RLM’s job harder if they don’t have pictures.

To moan about the actual TV bit see the main thread: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...05#post4067105

I thought it an interesting side effect.
Old 17 Aug 2021, 07:13 (Ref:4067134)   #882
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If FP1 isn’t televised it will make RLM’s job harder if they don’t have pictures.
Not massively. Even when they are on site, they don't have a view of (much of) the track from the commentary box.

And even though there is some TV from the first qualifying session onwards, there won't be any cameras between Tetre Rouge and the Porsche Curves until Saturday. That's a lot of track to not be able to see.
Old 17 Aug 2021, 10:04 (Ref:4067150)   #883
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The commentators have had no view of the circuit since they were first ousted (by Audi) from atop the main grandstand and then from their viewing/commentating box overlooking the Ford Chicane. As I understand it, for the last 2-3 years (at least) they have been stuck in the middle of the TV compound.

I'm surprised though that there are said to be so few cameras operating during practice/qually. I know there have always been less than for the race itself, but no coverage at all from TR to the Porsche Curves? (I think) that's a new one on me....
Old 17 Aug 2021, 12:06 (Ref:4067173)   #884
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Not massively. Even when they are on site, they don't have a view of (much of) the track from the commentary box.
Yeah, they have a similar situation each year where the physical location doesn’t help, but in those years they have the TV.
Quote:
And even though there is some TV from the first qualifying session onwards, there won't be any cameras between Tetre Rouge and the Porsche Curves until Saturday. That's a lot of track to not be able to see.
IIRC they have occasionally show the race control cameras instead.

But there are some cameras then, does this mean there are none. Nothing. Zilch that they can refer to? Or will the ACO give them something? Even if there is no actual TV coverage?
Old 18 Aug 2021, 00:16 (Ref:4067325)   #885
DackAtak
Rookie

DackAtak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love Radio Show Limited and all their coverage of sports car racing. It would not be Le Mans if I didn't hear their voices.

Look forward to the rest of this week and all the stories to be written. I did miss their reporters in the physical pitlane last year but hoping that they will be able to next year.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 08:31 (Ref:4067343)   #886
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Plenty on today

https://twitter.com/RSL_Studio/statu...579163648?s=19
Old 18 Aug 2021, 09:10 (Ref:4067348)   #887
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
The commentators have had no view of the circuit since they were first ousted (by Audi) from atop the main grandstand and then from their viewing/commentating box overlooking the Ford Chicane. As I understand it, for the last 2-3 years (at least) they have been stuck in the middle of the TV compound.

I'm surprised though that there are said to be so few cameras operating during practice/qually. I know there have always been less than for the race itself, but no coverage at all from TR to the Porsche Curves? (I think) that's a new one on me....
They did the same last year - the first session with cameras outside of that area was Hyperpole.

Obviously they have onboards, and a helicopter, but they might not be on the right bit of track to see an incident.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 09:23 (Ref:4067352)   #888
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Probably because you’re so used to being there Andrew! It’s a completely standard - and frustrating - part of Le Mans week when you watch from home. I remember when I couldn’t go in 2011, Eurosport said this was the case because TR-Porsche curves is all public roads and if they set the cameras up, they could be nicked when there’s no one there. Then in 2012, I noticed that they had them up the whole week anyway...

I suspect the real reason is that viewership isn’t high enough during qualifying to justify the enormous cost of manning all those cameras. A few of them are “on” but not manned, such as the camera on the first right hand flick on the Mulsanne straight. We’ll just have to manage with CCTV/onboards.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 09:37 (Ref:4067355)   #889
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I guess you're right. I just had it in my head that last year I was able to watch pretty much everything (other than the support races) at home. Mind playing tricks, I suppose.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:26 (Ref:4067512)   #890
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The current co-commentator appears to be Norman Collier's Scottish cousin (one for the teenagers).
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4067517)   #891
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It's Dario, isn't it?
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:36 (Ref:4067519)   #892
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter MacKay. Sounds like they have people dialling in from all over with varying levels of quality.

Also, the pronunciation in the ads of 'Cayman Islands' as 3 words will annoy me as much as the Darren Turner 'simerlator' of last year.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:38 (Ref:4067520)   #893
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah.... Who is Peter Mackay when he's at home? I don't know why the ads have to be so much louder......
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:45 (Ref:4067522)   #894
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As much as I like Johnny and Bruce et al. Graham and Alan are pretty dang good on the video feed. Plus they are at the track, which does help a bit to me.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4067524)   #895
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
...I don't know why the ads have to be so much louder......
Sound level equalisation is something they've always struggled with, even their pre-recorded stuff is often all over the shop.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:51 (Ref:4067526)   #896
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Peter MacKay. Sounds like they have people dialling in from all over with varying levels of quality.

Also, the pronunciation in the ads of 'Cayman Islands' as 3 words will annoy me as much as the Darren Turner 'simerlator' of last year.
That's the correct pronunciation of Cayman Islands though.
It just sounds odd to (particularly British) people who have always mispronounced it as "Kaym'n"
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:52 (Ref:4067527)   #897
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
As much as I like Johnny and Bruce et al. Graham and Alan are pretty dang good on the video feed. Plus they are at the track, which does help a bit to me.
True, but it's just not right having anyone else other than the RLM commentators, but then I have been listening to them since 1987....
Old 18 Aug 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4067529)   #898
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Ah.... Who is Peter Mackay when he's at home? I don't know why the ads have to be so much louder......
For what it's worth, years ago I voiced my concerns about potential ear damage from headphones due to some jingles/ads being deafeningly loud compared to voices in RSL podcasts. Even Hewitt responded that it's necessary that they grab the listener's attention...

Maybe it's just me, but while technically quality generally has been on the rise, RSL has been getting progressively more annoying, more commercial, and more biased (towards their commercial loyalties) over the past few years. Even the female voice in jingles sounds like a jaded Spice Girl.
Quote:
Sound level equalisation is something they've always struggled with, even their pre-recorded stuff is often all over the shop.
Yeah, I actually had to open the 2021 Le Mans preview podcasts in DAW and put them through heavy compression before I could listen to those podcasts.
Old 18 Aug 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4067532)   #899
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
... (particularly British) people who have always mispronounced it as "Kaym'n"
To be fair, we don't pronounce our own place names as they are spelled, so there is no hope for foreign names
Old 18 Aug 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4067533)   #900
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
And they claim there isn’t a problem! But the evidence is in the ear of the listener.