Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Aug 2009, 02:16 (Ref:2517094)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
'09 ALMS Round 7 • Road America - Aug, 14-16

..... Road America,
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
....August 14-16, 2009
Schedule
Entry List
Track Map
Timing & Scoring
Hindy/Radio or RLM
IMSA Site

Spotters Guide
Live SpeedTV rounds "Q"ing Stream by Michelin
Live Acura On Board Pass Race Streams from SpeedTV rounds
Satellite
Weather
World Times
...........Qualifying for this round will start on:
Sat. Aug. 15th, 3:10pm/15:10 local CDST ( -5 GMT)

L.P.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2519269)   #2
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to kickoff all the crying over it being 2.75 hours instead of four.

The loss of the Generac sponsorship? Could that have something to do with the change in format? Or is it simply tough economic times?

Apparently Road America is not too pleased with the ALMS at the moment because it is not what it was in 2007 and 2008 competition-wise. With no ChampCar and an "ailing" ALMS they seem more content in pushing their historic races - could this be why the race is shorter?

Regardless, I will be tuned in all weekend and I will certainly enjoy every minute.

Chris
Old 11 Aug 2009, 02:53 (Ref:2519272)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post

The loss of the Generac sponsorship? Could that have something to do with the change in format? Or is it simply tough economic times?

Apparently Road America is not too pleased with the ALMS at the moment because it is not what it was in 2007 and 2008 competition-wise. With no ChampCar and an "ailing" ALMS they seem more content in pushing their historic races - could this be why the race is shorter?

Regardless, I will be tuned in all weekend and I will certainly enjoy every minute.

Chris
2.75 hours is hardly enough time to walk around the track to see all the corners!

But it will be interesting to see how the Vettes do on the long straights at RA. Also the Dyson v Cytoport v Fernandez battle should be another good one in P2.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 04:54 (Ref:2519293)   #4
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

Chris
Road America EXPECTS a return-on-investment, that is why they kicked CC out and only let them back in on a probationary status.
The IMSA show has become stagnant at best, and many of the fans who will show for vintage races, and pay, find nothing worth their bucks in the IMSA right now.
With a tiny field on the large Road America circuit a shorter race will look better.
In the past, if they had a forty some car field, it did not matter that beyond the first four, ninety nine percent of the rest stood a snowballs chance in hell of winning, more was better for everyone.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:35 (Ref:2519333)   #5
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Uncannily this looks like the first race since Sebring that Motors will be covering live in the UK. Oddly I'd sort of become used to the live T&S combined with RLM for the experience - it'll be almost odd going back to seeing moving pictures on a television.

Other than that I can see Bob's point about the size of field vs length of race - given that this is one of the best tracks out there, anything they can do to keep interest up and keep series coming back to Elkhart Lake is worth a try.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2519367)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post

Other than that I can see Bob's point about the size of field vs length of race - given that this is one of the best tracks out there, anything they can do to keep interest up and keep series coming back to Elkhart Lake is worth a try.
Run the short course!!
Old 11 Aug 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2519621)   #7
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Uncannily this looks like the first race since Sebring that Motors will be covering live in the UK. Oddly I'd sort of become used to the live T&S combined with RLM for the experience - it'll be almost odd going back to seeing moving pictures on a television.

Motors TV appears to be screening last weeks race from Mid Ohio this weekend. Where did you get that Road America would be live?
Old 11 Aug 2009, 16:46 (Ref:2519650)   #8
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Motors TV appears to be screening last weeks race from Mid Ohio this weekend. Where did you get that Road America would be live?
He is incorrect Petit Le Mans is the only race we will be getting Live for the rest of this season.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2519666)   #9
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

We are in luck, another challenge car has been added to the entry list. Now if they could just each start at a different part of the track, the emptiness of the track will seem non-existent!
Old 11 Aug 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2519822)   #10
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
He is incorrect Petit Le Mans is the only race we will be getting Live for the rest of this season.
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

My rash reading of Motors TV schedule on their website had me read ALMS coverage on a Sunday evening and I failed to register that it was Mid Ohio rather than Road America we were getting. Thus Nightstalk3r is right on the money - I am incorrect.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2519876)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Apparently Road America is not too pleased with the ALMS at the moment because it is not what it was in 2007 and 2008 competition-wise

Oh wow ..... and so bloody what ..... If they cant understand that the world is in difficult times , maybe they should be told where to shove effing their track in future !!!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2519899)   #12
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Oh wow ..... and so bloody what ..... If they cant understand that the world is in difficult times , maybe they should be told where to shove effing their track in future !!!

Champ car didnt have much more cars than ALMS does now.....I guess they want nothing short of 43 cars there.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 01:10 (Ref:2519907)   #13
jdetray
Rookie

United States
Ohio, USA
jdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjdetray should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had the good fortune to attend several of the old Can-Am and Formula 5000 meetings at both Road America and Mid Ohio. Both are fabulous places to watch a race!

My favorite viewing area at Road America was the hillside overlooking the exit of Canada Corner and the whole of Thunder Valley. The sounds of the big Can-Am machines funneled down the Valley was a treat for the ears.

- Jeff
Old 12 Aug 2009, 01:57 (Ref:2519923)   #14
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetray View Post
I had the good fortune to attend several of the old Can-Am and Formula 5000 meetings at both Road America and Mid Ohio. Both are fabulous places to watch a race!

My favorite viewing area at Road America was the hillside overlooking the exit of Canada Corner and the whole of Thunder Valley. The sounds of the big Can-Am machines funneled down the Valley was a treat for the ears.

- Jeff
My favorite place at Road America is the woods leading downhill into turn 5. Any track where you can stand in the woods and watch cars go by is tops in my opinion. The Mazda RX792 screaming through the trees was something. Back on topic, to bad the current Mazda protos make nothing like that in decibels or tone.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 07:02 (Ref:2520006)   #15
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The Ten-Tenths.com supported free download Spotter Guide for Road America is now online at http://www.spotterguides.com/content/view/20/43/

The guide will also appear on the official ALMS site later in the week.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2520205)   #16
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oooh I can't wait for the American GT2 Series - er, sorry, I mean American Le Mans Series - hits the greatest circuit in the world.

Is it a good spectator circuit?
Old 12 Aug 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2520250)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It's as good or better than Sebring, Watkins Glen, and Mid Ohio in my book. Overall access, including pit and paddock, is better than anywhere else I've visited. So, yes, it is an excellent spectator circuit.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2520284)   #18
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there in 2002 and 2004 for the champ car races there. As a track its one of the best I've ever been to, if not THE best. As a spectator track it is without a doubt the best track I have ever been to. The whole place is beautiful, there's a variety of places to watch, and there are plenty of places where you can watch the action from a shady area. If anyone here was on the fence about going or not, I highly recommend you go for it. I doubt you would regret it.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2520289)   #19
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Chris
I too am disappointed that Road America will only be 2 hours 45 minutes this year instead of 4 hours/500 miles but this is not unusal. Since ALMS has been a reality there was no Road America Race from 1999 to 2001 and then a 500 mile/4 hour race in 2002. From 2003 to 2006 the race was 2 h 45 min. Its only been the last two years that were 4 hours. Sponsorship has been Chicago Tribune, Generac and Time Warner Cable during different years with some of them overlapping some years.

DK
Old 12 Aug 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2520387)   #20
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
It's as good or better than Sebring, Watkins Glen, and Mid Ohio in my book. Overall access, including pit and paddock, is better than anywhere else I've visited. So, yes, it is an excellent spectator circuit.
Not a lot wrong with it then. It's great to drive on video games, too. And it has trees (!).
Old 12 Aug 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2520469)   #21
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
And it has trees (!).
Maybe they should tell Xavier Pompidou about them !!!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2520504)   #22
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The entry list has been updated and VDS is off, Primetime is on and there are now 7 Cup cars for a grand total of 27 entries.

DK
Old 13 Aug 2009, 03:28 (Ref:2520570)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
getting upwards of 30 cars is a plus for the ALMS, even if %25 are challenge cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Any track where you can stand in the woods and watch cars go by is tops in my opinion.
how about a track where you can watch thru the screens of the Port-a-Jons at Road ATL's turns 2, 3, 6, 8 (the hump), 9 & 12?

....only if you're standing, of course
Old 13 Aug 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2520678)   #24
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Vici again. Where are these guys half the time?
Old 13 Aug 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2520757)   #25
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
No Vici again. Where are these guys half the time?
Searching for money.