Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Jul 2008, 02:42 (Ref:2242750)   #26
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like they are pulling back to $$ to fund the Ford Dealer Team
Old 3 Jul 2008, 02:58 (Ref:2242753)   #27
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It really sounds like they need a 3rd manufacturer now. I wonder if V8SCA are starting to think that too.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 03:14 (Ref:2242759)   #28
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney
It really sounds like they need a 3rd manufacturer now. I wonder if V8SCA are starting to think that too.
They would have to have rocks in their heads if they wern't looking at another brand for the future anyway.

As Dane says

"Only a fool would rule out another brand. Never say never."
Old 3 Jul 2008, 03:23 (Ref:2242760)   #29
gab73
Rookie

gab73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To late for another manufacturer joining V8SC. I doubt they could find a 3rd one interested.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 04:52 (Ref:2242780)   #30
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets read between the lines maybe?

Triple Eight...maybe its 888 who Ford don't feel are committed to being a long term partner(read 3rd manufacturer)? No one at Ford would dare question 888's record as the best performing Ford team in recent history. 888 are in an engineering/manufacturing position to apply thier technology to any new platform, hence are the best positioned team to represent a new marque.

DJR...recent financial turmoil and liquidation wouldn't sit well with Ford PR. DJR have only become competitive again with the 888 components, and if 888 defect, then DJR's edge also disappears.

PCR/Britek...When the parent manufacturer (Ford) is hurting, its natural that those who contribute least in a marketing sense will struggle to be considered.

Finally, it's primarily the cash thats been turned off for some teams...the shell/component supply deals remain largely intact.

And more finally than the previous finally, Toyota's success in NASCAR has not gone unnoticed by Toyota Australia. Though whether that small engine torque advantage could permeate V8 Supercars is an unknown factor (watch the Toyota's accelerate off the restarts in N/wide and Cup).
Old 3 Jul 2008, 04:56 (Ref:2242782)   #31
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which division at Ford did you say you worked for???
Old 3 Jul 2008, 04:57 (Ref:2242783)   #32
dmcl
Racer

dmcl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
red vs blue

I shake my head every time I hear the whole Ford has to be blue argument, Some of the most succesfull Fords that ever ran in ATCC history would have to be the DJR Sierras, which were red, and that was at a time when the small shopffront of what became the evil empire were running around in Commodores that were predominantly white, with black and later blue, when Mobil came on board.
Yes, I understand the Blue Oval and that Funny Red thing with Rory, but cmon guys, do the manufacturers really care what colour the car is, so long as their brand has success and the windscreen banner is clearly visible????
Old 3 Jul 2008, 05:01 (Ref:2242786)   #33
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A local DJR, GSR, Brock, Miedecke, Waldock or Longhurst Ford Sierra never had a Ford logo aboard its windscreen... there was backdoor funding from Motorcraft for some of these, but not all....

The only ones with that kind of branding were the '87 Eggenberger and Rouse works car..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Jul 2008, 05:05 (Ref:2242787)   #34
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASupporter
Sounds like they are pulling back to $$ to fund the Ford Dealer Team
I doubt it, the whole idea of a dealer team is to have it funded by the dealers.

Dane admitted he's talking to other manufacturers, this obviously would have been before this announcement. This shows Dane has no loyalty to Ford, no reason for Ford to have loyalty to 888.

888 Vodaphone Commodore with CL at the wheel isn't going to happen. CL's integral to Ford plans, 888 have invested heavily in Ford components and supply DJR and would have to develop a Commodore or become a Tom customer. 888 are an race engineering company so I doubt they would become a customer and I doubt Vodaphone would like a midpacker Commodore for a few years as 888 develop the thing.

So 888 to continue at the front, along with a bunch of 4 formidable cars run by 2 of the best blue teams in the business, smart move by Ford really.

As a DJR fan from the late 70's I really feel for DJ though and wished Ford could have slipped a few under the counter for him.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 05:10 (Ref:2242789)   #35
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could SBR become the FDT (Courtney's already there)? i feel sorry for 888 they have been Fords best team for the past 2 years, i also feel sorry for DJR Fords longest serving team they have shown loyalty so should Ford, i supose it's just jike Footy loyalty is dead and it's all about business.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2242803)   #36
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl
I shake my head every time I hear the whole Ford has to be blue argument, Some of the most succesfull Fords that ever ran in ATCC history would have to be the DJR Sierras, which were red, and that was at a time when the small shopffront of what became the evil empire were running around in Commodores that were predominantly white, with black and later blue, when Mobil came on board.
Yes, I understand the Blue Oval and that Funny Red thing with Rory, but cmon guys, do the manufacturers really care what colour the car is, so long as their brand has success and the windscreen banner is clearly visible????
But Ford Aust. wasn't a major DJR sponsor. Typically, your warpaint is in the colours of your major sponsor.

Obviosuly, the manufacturers care about what colour the car is, i'd bet the reason we didn't see 'Ford wins Bathurst' pics plastered everywhere is due to the winning car being red and effectively providing Vodaphone with free advertising. Much more effective to have a blue car with FORD DEALER TEAM written up the side. A smart move by Ford, despite being a no brainer when you think about it.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 07:02 (Ref:2242831)   #37
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The warning bells have been ringing for a while now. With Fords ailing financial situation [here in Aus and elsewhere], scaling back in their team support was not unexpected, only a matter of when. Surely, GM must be thinking of something similar.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2242840)   #38
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
time was when the factory Fords were red.... FOrd don't seem to have a problem with the half-red #6 works Castrol Falcon, so i hardly think red 888 cars were the deal breaker.

What saved SBR from getting the arse, their engines??
Old 3 Jul 2008, 08:34 (Ref:2242872)   #39
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHE917[22]
The warning bells have been ringing for a while now. With Fords ailing financial situation [here in Aus and elsewhere], scaling back in their team support was not unexpected, only a matter of when. Surely, GM must be thinking of something similar.
A lot of truth here - Today "General Motors" share price dropped 20% leaving the shares at the lowest they have been since 1954 and leaving the company with "no money" and a bunch of brands that they want (need) to offload as they have been soaking up money and are still in the red - tightening the belt for both Ford and GM Holden is a reality as both companies are in dire financial woe and beyond saving by being part of V8 Supercars - be thankful that a few teams will get some financial help ; maybe it's time (Toyota) for a new player to enter the fray , but then why would they bother ? they are already outselling Holden and Ford combined and really don't have anything left to prove !!
Old 3 Jul 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2242882)   #40
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's not forget Paul Gover reckoned the Energy Polariser worked.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 09:37 (Ref:2242897)   #41
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
time was when the factory Fords were red.... FOrd don't seem to have a problem with the half-red #6 works Castrol Falcon, so i hardly think red 888 cars were the deal breaker.

What saved SBR from getting the arse, their engines??
They were my thoughts also. Both FPR and SBR have there own engine programs. T8 are supplied with engines from SBR.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2242905)   #42
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so will DJR end up better out of this, how long is it since they have had a new car and now they getting given two, sounds pretty good to me

and for those that say triple 8 deserve the ford money more than SBR. there is one simple equation SBR 3 championships Triple 8 nil. who deserves the support more, plus Ford are paying one of their key drivers wages anyway and giving them a couple of cars
Old 3 Jul 2008, 10:23 (Ref:2242910)   #43
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... Could they be trying to pool FPR and SBR engine building resources into building a 'standard' Ford engine to be sold to all Ford teams..

It makes sense... Build the shells, Sell the shells... and then the manufacturer is the only provider of the engine!

Instead of Ford having to support the teams going 3 different ways on Engine development, they only have to go one.

It paves the way for a downsizing of financial commitment without actually having to downsize the amount of teams supplied.

Some may call it economies of scale.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2242918)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
works for me
Old 3 Jul 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2242946)   #45
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
Hmmm... Could they be trying to pool FPR and SBR engine building resources into building a 'standard' Ford engine to be sold to all Ford teams..

It makes sense... Build the shells, Sell the shells... and then the manufacturer is the only provider of the engine!

Instead of Ford having to support the teams going 3 different ways on Engine development, they only have to go one.

It paves the way for a downsizing of financial commitment without actually having to downsize the amount of teams supplied.

Some may call it economies of scale.
Well just look at how many teams WP is supplying engines to. Similar setup in some ways. If that is what will happen.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2242950)   #46
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see what GMH do now. My money would be on them pulling back on their fianancial support as well. It was really only a matter of which one blinked first and Ford was the one, all fairly predictable of course. I do hope it will lead to more manufacturers and more flexibility in the thinking of the promoters, maybe they will be willing to look at letting other manufacturers run their own vehicles not a silhouette formula which is going to have limited life in the future, Blind Freddy can see that. When you think about it if the promoters can't persuade others to join the present formula then they will have no choice and will have to change to persuade them to join in. I am sure that other manufacturers would like to get involved but not within the present rule structure. We need to go back to a capacity based class system to get some really interesting racing in this country.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2242966)   #47
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport
Well just look at how many teams WP is supplying engines to. Similar setup in some ways. If that is what will happen.
It's not just engines, but cars as well.

On the engine front, WP had BIG issues with component supply and that has been a plague of 2008 until quite recently.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2243126)   #48
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
My guess is the V8Stupidcars is on the wane ... for reasons that have been talked about before. The relevance of these cars is now almost nil, outdated technology, stupid formats and a limited audience.

Now the marketers have finally woken up too.

Start counting the days until Series Production makes it big comeback ... as they say, everything is cyclical.
Old 3 Jul 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2243450)   #49
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
My guess is the V8Stupidcars is on the wane ... for reasons that have been talked about before. The relevance of these cars is now almost nil, outdated technology, stupid formats and a limited audience.

Now the marketers have finally woken up too.

Start counting the days until Series Production makes it big comeback ... as they say, everything is cyclical.
I think I would prefer Improved Production in some form.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 00:26 (Ref:2243484)   #50
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport
I think I would prefer Improved Production in some form.
I'd prefer V8SC over both of those. I like loud and fast cars. Powered by V8's.