Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jan 2017, 05:33 (Ref:3699834)   #51
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Pecky do you realise Formula 3 has averaged 6 cars for the last 2 - 3 seasons and has now been dissolved into Formula A and it has been voted the 4th most popular category in Australia?
Funnier than that from my point of view is that the prize for winning Formula A (ranked 4th) is a funded drive in Kumho V8s (ranked 14th).
Old 3 Jan 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3699854)   #52
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe the speedcafe results can be related back to the Touring Car Masters facebook page promoting the poll with a direct link for their 15,000 followers whereas the Australian GT page missed the boat and didn't mention it to their 53,000 followers? Who knows, but its a pretty unscientific poll.

I'd say Mr Quinn is happy he owns/manages two out of the top 3 categories in the poll without either category mentioning the poll on their facebook page?
Old 3 Jan 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3699860)   #53
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Maybe the speedcafe results can be related back to the Touring Car Masters facebook page promoting the poll with a direct link for their 15,000 followers whereas the Australian GT page missed the boat and didn't mention it to their 53,000 followers? Who knows, but its a pretty unscientific poll.

I'd say Mr Quinn is happy he owns/manages two out of the top 3 categories in the poll without either category mentioning the poll on their facebook page?
Surely the most worrying thing about the poll is the fact that the winning category features old cars, the newest in the field is from 1977.....
Old 3 Jan 2017, 23:41 (Ref:3700018)   #54
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tugs at the heart strings of motorsport fans, I think its a good outcome for a good category, although Touring Car Masters is actually far removed from it's Appendix J ancestry these days. I don't think there's anything to be concerned about for any category after a limited poll on a V8-centric website. It's cheap fill material over the off-season for a motor racing website more than any kind of scientific result on the state of various motorsport series in the country.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3700765)   #55
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Australian GT Summer Grill episode.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/01/07/...australian-gt/

Some good insight from Cameron McConville regarding the competitors and his involvement through Zagame Motorsport.

Surprising is Tim Hodges performance and his apparent negative tone towards to the championship opting to run their own events in 2017 & beyond. I am not sure of his actual motorsport knowledge or interest however he showed quite a narrow and uneducated view here.
Old 7 Jan 2017, 22:11 (Ref:3700871)   #56
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Australian GT Summer Grill episode.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/01/07/...australian-gt/

Some good insight from Cameron McConville regarding the competitors and his involvement through Zagame Motorsport.

Surprising is Tim Hodges performance and his apparent negative tone towards to the championship opting to run their own events in 2017 & beyond. I am not sure of his actual motorsport knowledge or interest however he showed quite a narrow and uneducated view here.
Seemed his opinion was the same as half the field. maybe its not him that has a narrow view, just different

Was interested in comments that teams would do the enduro race and not the sprint race when they were on the same weekend. clearly the highlands round showed the sprint race wasnt worth the risk
Old 7 Jan 2017, 23:51 (Ref:3700881)   #57
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Seemed his opinion was the same as half the field. maybe its not him that has a narrow view, just different
I say narrow in that, he clearly didn't display any knowledge of any racing in Australia outside of what occurs at V8SC events.

Highlighted by his comment, "Supercar fans (strange comment in itself) if you want to catch the GTs you will need to go to Clipsal or the Grand Prix because thats the only time you can see them". As opposed to suggesting race fans could attend the Shannons Nationals or AGT stand alone events? Maybe.

Mr Hodges didn't appear to even fathom the thought that the move to Shannons bill could work for Australian GT, even despite McConvilles feedback regarding the SMP experience in 2016. Asking, "how long would the divide continue".
Old 8 Jan 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3700887)   #58
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Its a good point: Supercar fans apparently are incapable of broadening their motorsport horizons outside of Supercar fixtures if you believe Tim Hodges.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 02:50 (Ref:3700892)   #59
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I say narrow in that, he clearly didn't display any knowledge of any racing in Australia outside of what occurs at V8SC events.

Highlighted by his comment, "Supercar fans (strange comment in itself) if you want to catch the GTs you will need to go to Clipsal or the Grand Prix because thats the only time you can see them". As opposed to suggesting race fans could attend the Shannons Nationals or AGT stand alone events? Maybe.

Mr Hodges didn't appear to even fathom the thought that the move to Shannons bill could work for Australian GT, even despite McConvilles feedback regarding the SMP experience in 2016. Asking, "how long would the divide continue".
firstly they have not moved to shannons bill, some rounds have, most are not on the shannons bill (outside of the trophy series)

plenty of the team owners agree with Mr Hodges, dont forget that.

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Jan 2017 at 02:55.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3700894)   #60
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
fplenty of the team owners agree with Mr Hodges, dont forget that.
Who are the plenty of team owners? (Outside of Mr Webb and Mr Burgess)
Old 8 Jan 2017, 03:24 (Ref:3700895)   #61
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
firstly they have not moved to shannons bill, some rounds have, most are not on the shannons bill (outside of the trophy series)
13 Australian GT rounds in 2017 across the 3 streams (Sprint, Endurance and Trophy)

8 on Shannons Nationals bill
3 on Australian GT bill
1 on Formula 1 bill
1 on Clipsal 500 bill

And as requested by Adrian Burgess - only 1 event sees sprint and endurance races on the same weekend - being at Highlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
To be fair as well - Webb was hardly up in arms about it, he seemed fairly content with the move.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 03:27 (Ref:3700897)   #62
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Ask Cam Mcconville, he was the one who said it, as did Mr Webb

Im just quoting them,
Old 8 Jan 2017, 03:32 (Ref:3700899)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
13 Australian GT rounds in 2017 across the 3 streams (Sprint, Endurance and Trophy)

8 on Shannons Nationals bill
3 on Australian GT bill
1 on Formula 1 bill
1 on Clipsal 500 bill
As i said, they havent moved to the Shannons bill, Was 7 last year.

Take out the Trophy, (mostly Marc cars and not Gt3) as i mentioned, and its only 3 out of the 9 main game events are on the shannons bill

what they have done is moved away from v8 events
Old 8 Jan 2017, 03:57 (Ref:3700903)   #64
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand how or why this is even mentioned as an issue? Surely more standalone race meetings is only a good thing for us fans?

I also don't understand why the host kept calling it a "divide"? This isn't the Super Touring/V8Supercar war....
Old 8 Jan 2017, 03:59 (Ref:3700904)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I don't understand how or why this is even mentioned as an issue? Surely more standalone race meetings is only a good thing for us fans?
In what way?

I notice you live in sydney, what way will two stand alone events with currently no tv coverage in NZ benefit you?

In no way is this about the fans. they are hardly even considered

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Jan 2017 at 04:07.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 04:20 (Ref:3700907)   #66
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In what way?

I notice you live in sydney, what way will two stand alone events with currently no tv coverage in NZ benefit you?

In no way is this about the fans. they are hardly even considered
Speedcafe is live streaming the standalone events at Symmons Plains, Hampton Downs & Highlands, so that benefits fans. If it works, this may lead to more standalone events in the future. There was live TV coverage of the Hampton Downs race last year, perhaps that will lead to both NZ events this year?

More racing on non-Supercar weekends can't be considered a bad thing for fans who want to watch motor racing.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 04:26 (Ref:3700908)   #67
D.R.T.
Veteran

Agreed Racer. Australian GT is more accessible to fans in 2017 than ever before via attending race meetings, online streaming and television.

Not sure what there is to complain about!
Old 8 Jan 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3700909)   #68
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Speedcafe is live streaming the standalone events at Symmons Plains, Hampton Downs & Highlands, so that benefits fans. If it works, this may lead to more standalone events in the future. There was live TV coverage of the Hampton Downs race last year, perhaps that will lead to both NZ events this year?

More racing on non-Supercar weekends can't be considered a bad thing for fans who want to watch motor racing.
Well if you are happy with live stream, enjoy, most fans are not. Less fans will watch Gt3 in 2017 than 2016 both live and on TV. That is a given

there is no supercar racing on every weekend already, no change there, just adding another event to the mix (in tasmania)
Old 8 Jan 2017, 04:50 (Ref:3700911)   #69
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Well if you are happy with live stream, enjoy, most fans are not. Less fans will watch Gt3 in 2017 than 2016 both live and on TV. That is a given
The times are changing Pecky - each day more consumers and sports are turning to streaming.

A great example of that is Red Bull TV and the WRC in 2017.

Speedweek will also broadcast post produced coverage of Australian GT - so both bases have been covered which is great news for motorsport fans.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 04:58 (Ref:3700914)   #70
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
The times are changing Pecky - each day more consumers and sports are turning to streaming.

A great example of that is Red Bull TV and the WRC in 2017.

Speedweek will also broadcast post produced coverage of Australian GT - so both bases have been covered which is great news for motorsport fans.
oh yeah for sure, up 50% for the year , which leaves it at less than 10% of the tv equivlent, plus less sponsors to pay for the coverage, thus less cameras and less quality viewing.

I dont think you can clain something as a good example when it hasnt started.

Times are changing with Pay TV as well, get on Board and stop being so negative about it
Old 8 Jan 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3700922)   #71
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:

Times are changing with Pay TV as well, get on Board and stop being so negative about it
I don't understand this? Who mentioned PayTV? No one in this thread, and no one from AusGT from what I can read, what relevance does it have to this conversation?
Old 8 Jan 2017, 05:55 (Ref:3700924)   #72
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I don't understand this? Who mentioned PayTV? No one in this thread, and no one from AusGT from what I can read, what relevance does it have to this conversation?
sure has been mentioned in this thread. will be again.

however my point was to DRT who has been very negative about the changing media land scape, but suddenly, when it suited him, is very fond of the changing media landscape

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Jan 2017 at 06:07.
Old 8 Jan 2017, 07:21 (Ref:3700932)   #73
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
however my point was to DRT who has been very negative about the changing media land scape, but suddenly, when it suited him, is very fond of the changing media landscape
A little bit like how you were very negative on a certain 12hr race for years until a promoter you are very fond of took over....
Old 8 Jan 2017, 07:24 (Ref:3700933)   #74
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
A little bit like how you were very negative on a certain 12hr race for years until a promoter you are very fond of took over....
Old 8 Jan 2017, 07:54 (Ref:3700941)   #75
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
nice trolling, stick to the topic at least.

to quote mayhem who thinks your funny

Quote:
I don't understand this? Who mentioned "12 hour or a certain promoter" No one in this thread, and no one from AusGT from what I can read, what relevance does it have to this conversation?
Not that hard, stick to the topic, no need for discussing of peckstar,

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Jan 2017 at 08:01.