Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jan 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3796659)   #76
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's quite clear the format that would suit the short concentration span of TV audiences, plus allow time for advertisements, celebrity inserts etc - three short, sharp heats with random grids, scoring points as you go, then a Final. Allows cars back onto the grid after a mechanical or accident, just like they invented for the WRC.

Should be simple enough for the current crop of drivers to understand, after all they all came from kart racing

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jan 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3796661)   #77
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F1 too long to hold peoples interest? Really? I can't get into a race if it's less than 3 hours. I consider Blancpain Endurance Series a little short at times.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3796664)   #78
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I struggled to watch a whole F1 race at times when I was younger, but I still loved the sport
Old 29 Jan 2018, 21:52 (Ref:3796709)   #79
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The US market may be PayTV friendly but it is alien to many of us in different markets.
It isn't though. It is the same/similar situation as everywhere else. I already pay for television and internet and now I pay for a bunch of subscription services that add to the pot again.

We're blowing apart the media distribution model or "cable" under the auspices that it is cheaper to the end-user to have a la carte choices. But the whole point of cable was to bundle services or channels together so that it was cheaper to the end-user. So to get the same services, you have to spend a 1/3rd more than 5 years ago.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 22:29 (Ref:3796714)   #80
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
If I'm having to pay to watch something, sport or otherwise, then it's got to be pretty damn good.

For those of you, like me, who've just about given up on F1 then may I encourage you to give MotoGP a shot. It's absolutely brilliant,totally gripping from start to finish.

More often than not, you'll witness around six riders dicing for the lead, no holds barred, absolutely on the limit of adhesion. You'll see more overtaking in one lap than in an entire F1 GP. The riders are sensational.....possibly mad!

The bikes have no aero worth talking about, it's purely down to talent, skill and balls.......big balls!

I seriously got into it about 7 to 8 years ago and never looked back.It's what every F1 fan would really love to see.........but never do.

Yes littleman, I watch the MotoGP too, it is everything F1 should be!

Ecellent racing, and I always feel that the people involved are real enthusiasts and there because they really love motorbike racing.

No pay riders in MotoGP, you need real talent to be there!
Old 30 Jan 2018, 10:49 (Ref:3796823)   #81
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm now totally convinced that Valentino Rossi can be bracketed with the likes of
Prost, Senna, Schumacher etc,etc.

Marc Marquez,Lorenzo,Stoner etc are at least the equals of Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton.

I really don't care if F1 disappears from TV.....I would care if MotoGP did.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 14:56 (Ref:3796896)   #82
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Both Vale and Jorge did well when they tested F1 cars. I really think Marquez is one who could star if he made the step into car racing
Old 30 Jan 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3796919)   #83
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I'm now totally convinced that Valentino Rossi can be bracketed with the likes of
Prost, Senna, Schumacher etc,etc.

Marc Marquez,Lorenzo,Stoner etc are at least the equals of Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton.
thats a big part of the problem right there...over the past several seasons we have had a truly excellent grid in F1. multiple title and race winners, some incredible young talent, future superstars emerging.

some of the best grids in decades have been hidden behind overly expensive and inaccessible pay walls.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 05:18 (Ref:3797057)   #84
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
thats a big part of the problem right there...over the past several seasons we have had a truly excellent grid in F1. multiple title and race winners, some incredible young talent, future superstars emerging.

some of the best grids in decades have been hidden behind overly expensive and inaccessible pay walls.
More like the talent has overshadowed by the worst and most unsuitable racing cars in F1 history, producing the most uninteresting championships we have ever seen.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3799337)   #85
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess F1 viewing will plummet even further when Formula E is on the scene. It now seems that there are more factory teams than drivers. Merc is entering the sport and Toto sounds pretty excited about their new entry in the works. E is the way of the future. Just imagine when Kimi leaves F1 will be dead, an when he is invited to FE it will really come alive. Liberty will have to do something that the fans really want to maintain and increase viewers.....like bringing back the grid-girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:20 (Ref:3799433)   #86
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
I guess F1 viewing will plummet even further when Formula E is on the scene. It now seems that there are more factory teams than drivers. Merc is entering the sport and Toto sounds pretty excited about their new entry in the works. E is the way of the future. Just imagine when Kimi leaves F1 will be dead, an when he is invited to FE it will really come alive. Liberty will have to do something that the fans really want to maintain and increase viewers.....like bringing back the grid-girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Ross Brawn's current suggestion of making "an event" out of the GP and having a rock concert after the race, to boost the attendance, and here I thought that the GP was supposed to be the event!

Fix the RACING!
Old 8 Feb 2018, 02:43 (Ref:3799440)   #87
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
you realise they can discuss and develop more than one plan at once, right?

changing the fluff around the edges is the easy bit. changing the cars and the racing is something that needs a lot of thought and consideration, i for one do NOT want snap, over the winter decisions that haven’t been researched and thought through properly.

especially when quite a few of the pie-in-the-sky changes people want to make would cause genuine, large scale unemployment in the f1 industry. that’s the sort of decision that can’t be made overnight.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3799567)   #88
S griffin
Veteran

Well it's obvious that the FIA were made to look like plonkers when they increased downforce last season and we got worse racing as a result. It should never of happened. Improving the racing is what Ross Brawn is there for, while Liberty are trying to make the events better to bring more people in. So we'll see what happens, plenty of things in F1 need improving
Old 8 Feb 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3799574)   #89
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're right.

The grid girls have already lost their jobs and I bet nobody consulted with them....poor things.

They were earning £100+ per day and as far as I know thoroughly enjoying themselves. Nobody forced them to do it, for many it's their living.

Why do women want to stop other women doing a job they don't like, don't agree with and have taken it upon themselves to sit in judgement. How does that improve ALL women's rights and opportunities?

Not every women wants to be an accountant, doctor, MP, teacher etc, etc.
If a women wants to be a "Grid Girl" that's fine by me.....if she doesn't then that's fine too.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3799577)   #90
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well it's obvious that the FIA were made to look like plonkers when they increased downforce last season and we got worse racing as a result. It should never of happened. Improving the racing is what Ross Brawn is there for, while Liberty are trying to make the events better to bring more people in. So we'll see what happens, plenty of things in F1 need improving
Formula Ford has it right (well had it). Small (or no) wings and then slick tyres. Why does it need to be so complicated? Less aero, more mechanical grip.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 15:07 (Ref:3799579)   #91
S griffin
Veteran

F1 always seems to prefer the complicated route rather than the simple option
Old 8 Feb 2018, 15:18 (Ref:3799583)   #92
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grand Prix racing has been on a downward slope since 1960, getting less and less interesting, as technology has developed. Too much power, lack of grip, and truly dangerous circuits brings out the men from the boys, and there is NOBODY racing today who would relish that. Going as fast as possible with no danger of straining a muscle is the order of the day. Fast does not necessarily equate to excitement, it is the risk that makes it worthwhile, and if this scenario does not chime with you ... well you deserve what F1 is at present.

After following the 'sport' since 1950 the introduction of the HALO has finally done it for me. One less viewer in 2018.

With all due respect all replies expressing horror will be ignored.

Old Timer Bauble.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3799603)   #93
littleman
Veteran

I have to agree with bauble.

If F1 cars now need a Halo they might just as well go the whole hog and switch to using LMP1 machinery.

Nobody ever wants to see a driver hurt but then again nobody finds Health & Safety the slightest bit exciting either.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 17:59 (Ref:3799640)   #94
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so in the context of this thread then, am i correct in assuming that you guys are suggesting that the decline in viewership has more to do with advancements in technology then it has to do with the move behind a pay wall/increasing subscription costs?

because if it is, then i would have to agree. there is far more to the issue of declining viewership in f1 then simply FOM's desire to have people pay for it.

unfortunately certain advancements (aero which leads to the lack of close racing and the income inequalities which lead to tech disparities being issues i have with F1 tech) has led to decline in the quality of racing and i can certainly understand why people dont think its worth paying for anymore.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3799645)   #95
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
so in the context of this thread then, am i correct in assuming that you guys are suggesting that the decline in viewership has more to do with advancements in technology then it has to do with the move behind a pay wall/increasing subscription costs?

For me, it was the absence of true racing that was and remains, the direct result of the advances in technology that started my lack of real interest in watching Grand Prixes; winning a race because of a pit strategy doesn't excite me in the least.

Putting the broadcast behind a paywall is just the final nail in the coffin. And that's after having followed F1 for nigh on 50 years.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 19:35 (Ref:3799663)   #96
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

because if it is, then i would have to agree. there is far more to the issue of declining viewership in f1 then simply FOM's desire to have people pay for it.

unfortunately certain advancements (aero which leads to the lack of close racing and the income inequalities which lead to tech disparities being issues i have with F1 tech) has led to decline in the quality of racing and i can certainly understand why people dont think its worth paying for anymore.
How dare you bring logic in to the discussion??

This is a place for people to demand others put themselves at personal risk and danger purely for their entertainment. But no, it's not at all like watching gladiatorial fighting.

Or as I try to look at it, exhibit 1 for why Liberty, and likely the teams as well, have said well who gives a rip about their opinion, we'd rather lose them as fans anyway as their fandom is based purely on how hurt drivers will be when the car fails.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3799689)   #97
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
After following the 'sport' since 1950 the introduction of the HALO has finally done it for me. One less viewer in 2018.

Old Timer Bauble.
Pretty much nails it for me as well, it seems that the "racing" has now become a sideshow to the other theatrical activities surrounding F1. Although not quite as long as Bauble, I've followed F1 since the 60's and it's sad to see it in its current pathetic state, there are far more entertaining and cheaper motor sport disciplines to follow as a spectator.
Old 8 Feb 2018, 22:28 (Ref:3799711)   #98
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You’re all so silly and behind the times. I realised in 2002 that it had got boring and sold my telly. Never watched a race since. It took me nearly half a decade to realise, but I wasn’t that slow. You lot, 2018 before you realised?!
Old 8 Feb 2018, 22:37 (Ref:3799713)   #99
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You’re all so silly and behind the times. I realised in 2002 that it had got boring and sold my telly. Never watched a race since. It took me nearly half a decade to realise, but I wasn’t that slow. You lot, 2018 before you realised?!
Some people are quicker on the up-take than others, or maybe just stubborn.
I really envy those for whom the penny dropped so much earlier. Would have save me from the Hamilton era, at least.
Old 9 Feb 2018, 02:27 (Ref:3799750)   #100
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Grand Prix racing has been on a downward slope since 1960, getting less and less interesting, as technology has developed. Too much power, lack of grip, and truly dangerous circuits brings out the men from the boys, and there is NOBODY racing today who would relish that. Going as fast as possible with no danger of straining a muscle is the order of the day. Fast does not necessarily equate to excitement, it is the risk that makes it worthwhile, and if this scenario does not chime with you ... well you deserve what F1 is at present.

Old Timer Bauble.
I must admit that the HALO doesn't offend me, as Sodemo said above they need to get the aero off the cars and bring back racing, every rule change they ever come up with just compounds the problem, the OWG, last year's wider cars with more aero, pointless. KERS, ERS, big fat heavy cars, all terrible.

Oh well, we still have MotoGP, and they were bright enough to concrete over the aero rabbit hole and preserve the integrity of the racing.

P.S. The circuits with miles and miles of run off are just beyond awful, may as well just pave a huge square and put a couple of squiggly lines in the centre. Screw up the braking go straight across a couple of corners and set a faster time while not gaining an advantage.

F1 is just so broken, you have to wonder if actual racing will ever come back. Giving up on it seems the only logical answer.

There is no hope!