Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2017, 11:53 (Ref:3721847)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Sauber

I was slightly surprised during yesterday's coverage of the GP when Ben Edwards remarked on this being Sauber's 25th anniversary in F1 and DC remarked that it had been "25 years of mediocracy". Ignore for a moment that "mediocracy" isn't a word, it just struck me as rather harsh (unusually so for DC). It's true Sauber have only one race victory to their name, but the sport needs mid-grid teams and Sauber are now one of the longest-established teams in the sport. Was Coulthard being unfair?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 12:42 (Ref:3721858)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I was slightly surprised during yesterday's coverage of the GP when Ben Edwards remarked on this being Sauber's 25th anniversary in F1 and DC remarked that it had been "25 years of mediocracy". Ignore for a moment that "mediocracy" isn't a word, it just struck me as rather harsh (unusually so for DC). It's true Sauber have only one race victory to their name, but the sport needs mid-grid teams and Sauber are now one of the longest-established teams in the sport. Was Coulthard being unfair?
Mediocracy - it is a word, but not in the context DC meant it (I think).
Unless he was passing a comment on the whole of F1? Or the Ferrari bonuses in recent years?
Old 27 Mar 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3721929)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sauber have had some good seasons, even outside of the BMW era. Think 2001, when the combined efforts of Heidfeld and Raikkonen got them 4th in the constructors
Old 27 Mar 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3721951)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
did he say mediocracy or mediocrity?

regardless, as a one time supporter of Sauber, they used to be the epitome of an underdog team, often punching above their weight class, with an owner who loved racing so for sure if applied to that Sauber team, DC's comments are unfair. that was a truly class racing operation.

however, Kaltenborn's tenure as team principle has not been good. mediocre, or whatever derivation of that word, feels like an apt description.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3721985)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Every year the motorsport press trot out the story about how Sauber has the best wind tunnels in the world... and every year (of recent note) the car shows up with few brands on it, and usually is towards the back of the field.

In comparison to their sportscar heritage, Sauber have underperformed massively. The difference of course is budget, but it isn't likely the only distinction.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Mar 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3721991)   #6
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Every year the motorsport press trot out the story about how Sauber has the best wind tunnels in the world... and every year (of recent note) the car shows up with few brands on it, and usually is towards the back of the field.

In comparison to their sportscar heritage, Sauber have underperformed massively. The difference of course is budget, but it isn't likely the only distinction.
2016 Ferrari engines would consign the best car on the grid to the back, year old development limited technology just won't do!

The FIA should not allow a manufacturer to supply this engine onto the grid. The homologation of the engines would prevent the manufacturers supplying their customers with out of date and out of spec rubbish!

Last edited by wnut; 27 Mar 2017 at 22:47.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 22:36 (Ref:3721993)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
2016 Ferrari engines would consign the best car on the grid to the back, year old development limited technology just won't do!
Sure, but this was the WORKS Mercedes team in Sportscars... they had Ilmor/Mercedes powerplants... they had what looked to be strong budgets... they were the works BMW team...

Woulda coulda shoulda...

They are the underdog team to support & cheer for.. but you can't help but wonder whether a metric shedload of $$ would make any difference at all...
Old 27 Mar 2017, 23:12 (Ref:3721996)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed, there has probably been considerable staff movement, but, with no engine their work is impossible to assess.

Their drivers are also a problem, Giovanazzi would apparently have made Q2 if not for a small mistake late in his final lap. Bit of a worry when it is the first time he has driven the car!

Just can't answer how good the car is?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 11:32 (Ref:3722136)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Sauber looked more competitive than they did during testing.

A shed load of money would enable them to move up the grid, I'm sure. But the ridiculous cost of the engines have led them to be where they are, and the podiums finishes that Perez brought seem a very long time ago now.

F1 needs to look after the likes of Force India and Sauber.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 12:18 (Ref:3722142)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
F1 needs to look after the likes of Force India and Sauber.
Just for the sake of discussion - why should Force India and Sauber be afforded any protection from the F1 seniority?

I wonder would the same have been said in 2005 say of BAR and Minardi?
The demise of BAR and Minardi has led to Mercedes and STR on the grid - I don't see an argument that either of those is bad for the sport.

{for the record, I would not like to see the demise of either Sauber or FI, but teams have come and gone since the birth of F1}
Old 28 Mar 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3722149)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think a stronger argument is not that Sauber or Force India need to be afforded any particular protection but that F1 needs to look at why smaller teams are struggling.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3722152)   #12
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I think a stronger argument is not that Sauber or Force India need to be afforded any particular protection but that F1 needs to look at why smaller teams are struggling.
But haven't smaller teams always struggled?

Do you mean specifically financially, or performance wise?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3722158)   #13
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
But haven't smaller teams always struggled?

Do you mean specifically financially, or performance wise?
They get less money for finishing last than the likes of Ferrari would. In that sense the scales are stacked against them before anyone has turned a wheel.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3722179)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
They get less money for finishing last than the likes of Ferrari would. In that sense the scales are stacked against them before anyone has turned a wheel.
Weren't the scales stacked against Mercedes and Red Bull before they turned a wheel?
Old 28 Mar 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3722159)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We can't afford to lose anymore teams in F1, at least an interview on Channel 4 wiht one of the new executives of the sport seems to suggest they are intent on getting more teams in F1, which the sooner it happens the better
Old 28 Mar 2017, 15:30 (Ref:3722193)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
F1 has lost ALL the new teams that arrived int he last few years. Force India and Sauber have rumored financial troubles. So did Lotus / Enstone until Renault stepped in.

My throwaway remark that F1 needs to look after these teams, means that the dodgy deals to give significantly more prize / travel money to the big guns should be reviewed especially in light to the increased engine costs thanks in no small part to this being driven though by the engine manufacturers (and not the small teams themselves).

If you lose Sauber or Force India, there is no guarantee that another Mercedes and Red Bull will step in to ensure we have a healthy sized grid.

The F1 grid is as short in numbers as I can ever remember it.
Old 28 Mar 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3722282)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Then we go back to the fabled 3 cars per team option
Old 29 Mar 2017, 08:58 (Ref:3722378)   #18
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Has Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein blown any chance he had at a Mercedes drive? He copped a bit over the w'end for pulling out of the GP. I too believe PW should've driven. Pulling out of the GP hasn't, and will not go down well with the old school boys in pitlane.

Some stories are still mentioning Ferrari making a deal with Kaltenborn to get Giovanni in the seat for the race as the real reason. A bunch of $$'s worth apparently. And it worked. Ferrari's investment paid off handsomely.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 07:35 (Ref:3723661)   #19
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Below is my post from 29th March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Some stories are still mentioning Ferrari making a deal with Kaltenborn to get Giovanni in the seat for the race as the real reason. A bunch of $$'s worth apparently. And it worked. Ferrari's investment paid off handsomely.
And I think the stories I heard are probably true. And AG's stock has risen sharply since he's drive at the AUS GP.

Hears another little story I heard from Melbourne's pitlane. Ferrari F1 Team is aiming to be an all Italian team. All Italian. Every employee. From the cleaner to the CEO. Including the drivers. "100% Made in Italy" is what Arrivabene wants to promote to the world. So having AG in the Sauber seat for a few more races will hopefully give the Italian driver the experience required for the Ferrari seat in 2018.

If this is so, what of SV in the next couple of years? They cannot be an all Italian team with a German driver surely?? Goodbye SV in 2019? And all the other non-Italian employees currently at working at Ferrari?
Old 4 Apr 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3723667)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All Italian. Apart from the ECU, that's British. And the fuel, that's dutch.

Basically it's all Italian apart from the bits that aren't Italian.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3723681)   #21
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
All Italian. Apart from the ECU, that's British. And the fuel, that's dutch.

Basically it's all Italian apart from the bits that aren't Italian.

Like the UK born James Allison who was ousted and replaced by Italian Mattia Binotto. Except Binotto was born in Switzerland.

Got to hand it Binotto, his been with Ferrari since 1995. That's a long term commitment.
Old 4 Apr 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3723684)   #22
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post

Like the UK born James Allison who was ousted and replaced by Italian Mattia Binotto. Except Binotto was born in Switzerland.

Got to hand it Binotto, his been with Ferrari since 1995. That's a long term commitment.
Except that Allison wasn't ousted. After the loss of his wife, he probably wisely, felt that it would be better for their children that they were back with the family in the UK.

I think that Ferrari acted quite honourably with Allison, allowing him as much compassionate leave as he required.
Old 31 Mar 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3722796)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

The latest rumours are Honda supplying engines to Sauber in 2018. I can see why, considering their Ferrari engines are out of date. The question is, would it be easier to develop the Honda engine with two teams instead of one?
Old 31 Mar 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3722826)   #24
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The latest rumours are Honda supplying engines to Sauber in 2018. I can see why, considering their Ferrari engines are out of date. The question is, would it be easier to develop the Honda engine with two teams instead of one?
Don't forget that Sauber elected to run last year's PUs in an effort to save money; it's not as though Ferrari refused to let them have the latest spec units.

And bearing that financial constraint at Sauber in mind, is it really going to help Honda develop their power-units?
Old 31 Mar 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3722837)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Don't forget that Sauber elected to run last year's PUs in an effort to save money; it's not as though Ferrari refused to let them have the latest spec units.

And bearing that financial constraint at Sauber in mind, is it really going to help Honda develop their power-units?
Well it'd double the amount of time the engines have on track, so that's a help. If I were Honda in this current state, I'd be paying Sauber to run the engines so I could get more data. This is now year 3 of the return, so it's gone beyond simple teething problems and is now it's looking like they really don't know how to make it any better. More data would be very welcome I'm sure.