Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Oct 2011, 03:22 (Ref:2977470)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know we pick on Mr Phelps, Mr McKay & Mr Kershler...

... but none of them have written anything like This

Jill Singer is the 'reporter' who threw together this inappropriate piece of literature.... also known as @snooplady on twitter..

Its entertaining trying to see her defend the story on there... fighting a losing battle methinks...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Oct 2011, 03:35 (Ref:2977473)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is the worst bit of journalism I have ever seen. There is so much wrong with that article, I don't know where to begin criticising it.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 03:45 (Ref:2977475)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Problem for people like Jill Singer is that they simple don't get the attraction of activities outside their own experience (in this case motor sport).

No doubt she refers to football players as "thugs", as their supporters as "neanderthals" and similar terms. She probably likes the "sport" of horse racing as she can wear a nice frock, sip a glass of bubbly and not pay for the privilege , you can imagine her liking netball because the nice girls aren't allowed to run into each other.

That article is not only flawed in its central premise but is also full of contradictions and incorrect assumptions. Might have worked a bit better if she'd tried doing some research rather than jumping to a heap of conclusions.

She's a failed TV host who now writes blogs in the hope of getting some attention and I guess that this article has generated here some of that.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 04:08 (Ref:2977478)   #4
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
She's a failed TV host who now writes blogs in the hope of getting some attention and I guess that this article has generated here some of that.
This happens a lot with media websites these days, where they write sensational opinionated crap in a hope of drumming up a debate, getting more hits on their site and generally making a name for themselves.

I'm not a fan.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 04:12 (Ref:2977480)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't see anything thought provoking or of value in that article.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 04:58 (Ref:2977486)   #6
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Opinions are bit like ars%holes, everyones got one.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 05:29 (Ref:2977490)   #7
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Total and utter crap.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 05:33 (Ref:2977491)   #8
Bradley
Rookie

Bradley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone remember the soccer player that had a heart attack on the field and died? wonder if the same 'blood on the fans hands' could be applied to that..

rubbish from someone who has no interest in the sport. they talk about carnage - maybe referring to on the road but at the end of the day if you have no interest in something you won't be good at it.. as a generalisation, if you have no interest in cars etc maybe you aren't the safest driver on the road... you know the ones, that whinge about 'P' platers but they themselves don't follow the road rules..
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:21 (Ref:2977498)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Unfortunately I think Jill is partly right

Part of the thrill of motorsport is the speed and with increased speed comes increased risk and incresed likelihood of injury or death

We can try to mitigate that risk with improved safety, but that doesnt take away the risk, just reduces it.

We therefore shouldn't be surprised when death does happen, Sad yes, but not surprised.

Its interesting that even on here, people want to go back to the bad old days of increased risk.

I havent done it, but i would imagine that if you went to youtube and looked up some of the recent deaths, the view count would be quite high (the fact that someone put it on youtube in the first place is another story (but not unrelated))
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:29 (Ref:2977503)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
could be tied with this article as being the worst ever written
http://www.good.is/post/why-dan-whel...r+request.#_=_
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2977507)   #11
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that is nothing but utter bull**** and makes Mr Phelps & Co look like the worlds best jeurno's she should be ashamed of heself and like David Patterson worst piece of jeurnolism i've seen & i don't know where to start and if i did i'd probably rant for a week.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 06:51 (Ref:2977509)   #12
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TV and radio has always given ratbags with big mouths and small brains an outlet to rant about subjects they know little about. TV current affairs and talkback radio survives on this rubbish. The print media also jumped on the bandwagon, with the advent of on line immediate news reporting. The sad part is that these people have the audacity to call themselves journalists.
Journalists used to report the news, the facts, the truth. Nowadays, it's the individuals personal spin on a subject to further their own careers via a story slanted to create as much publicity for themselves as possible.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2977533)   #13
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is why I read Auto Action and other motor racing media. Only passionate people and people who understand it should be able to write on it.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2977536)   #14
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Columnist scum.

This would likely have best been dealt with by boycotting (e.g. not providing reference to) the linked content (or better yet, the entire site - and any affiliates).
By the rationale of those at the 'Herald Sun', the article has now well and truly served its purpose.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2977550)   #15
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This one is much betterand written by someone who understands.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/10/27...or-your-sport/
Old 27 Oct 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2977560)   #16
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
richie17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know who did this but checkout what someone wrote about her personal life on wikipedia!
It gets better (or worse depending on your viewpoint.) if you look at view history.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2977570)   #17
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
40 odd years involed in some form of sport. There is always the knockers, the " I could do it better", the would have should have could have, come out. I like AFL, NRl, Soccer, V8's, F1, NASCAR, Indy , Rally , Historics etc,

Articles written acusing organisations of poorly run, executed events, etc are from people, that have their own agenda to run a sporting code their way, normaly to suit there own agenda.

Sad to say, these people suffer from the little finger syndrome.

Big dog, Biggest car, biggest boat , biggest house, little male aphendage.

to many years of " I could do it better", well if you could, then you would be hired.

little finger sign.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2977582)   #18
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why you guys are getting so upset? I thought it was a hilarious piece and Jill's future as a comedian is looking bright!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
This is why I read Auto Action and other motor racing media. Only passionate people and people who understand it should be able to write on it.
As much as I don't want to say this, because my whole life revolved around the two weeks in between getting Auto Action as a kid (those were the days ), and at risk of being "unpopular", but it's been a little while since AA has understood motor racing and, therefore, not even they should be writing on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie17 View Post
I don't know who did this but checkout what someone wrote about her personal life on wikipedia!
It gets better (or worse depending on your viewpoint.) if you look at view history.
This is was very funny!

In all seriousness, I would've thought our reactions to Wheldon and Simoncelli's deaths had something to do with the fact we're humans and none of us, despite the danger connected with motorsport that we all know about, like seeing people die!
Old 27 Oct 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2977732)   #19
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Like this edit:
Quote:
In 2011, Singer proved to the world what a clueless **** she is by publishing a blatantly inflammatory article regarding the death of MotoGP rider Marco Simoncelli. Described by many observers as "horse ****", the article has attained cult status as a shining beacon of mediocrity worldwide. The Dali Lama is reported to have used a copy of the article as toilet paper.
Old 27 Oct 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2977893)   #20
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You've got to laugh at the way that the media/entertainment industry have the need to present themselves with these ridiculous annual awards. Is there anyone in the game who hasn't got one?
She probably placed all that crap on wikipedia herself.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 01:09 (Ref:2977988)   #21
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, she's obviously got some brain issues happening. She collapsed on air with a severe migraine. Hang on, migraines are symptomatic of pressure on the brain - you need a brain in order for these symptoms to present.

She is apparantly an active campaigner against motorbiking and motorbike racing in particular.

Therefore, I reckon you need to view that article in a different light - i.e. totally disregard it as it was written by someone who probably lies in bed alone at night, listening to ABC late night rivetting talkback mixed with miserable opera. Probably got shafted by a motorbike enthusiast at one point in history, has not forgiven this person, and probably hasn't had a r**t since.

As motorsports enthusiasts, we can take heart knowing that we don't want to see people die. We enjoy the sport for what it is and will continue to do so in spite of tools like her.

If you use her theory, every time there is a public road fatality, the reminaing 6 million licesned drivers (or however many there are) in australia will have blood on their hands. That about sums up the validity of the article.

So look at it, laugh at it, and wipe your arse with it. Move on and look forward to the next motorsport event coming up. And raise your glass to her when it happens
Old 28 Oct 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2978133)   #22
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
As much as I don't want to say this, because my whole life revolved around the two weeks in between getting Auto Action as a kid (those were the days ), and at risk of being "unpopular", but it's been a little while since AA has understood motor racing and, therefore, not even they should be writing on it!

LOL, whatever you say. I also read the American magazines RACER, expensive but quite good.
Old 28 Oct 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2978174)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Can't be seen as unpopular as its the truth. AA these days is terrible, tabloid motorsport coverage
Old 28 Oct 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2978414)   #24
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
LOL, whatever you say. I also read the American magazines RACER, expensive but quite good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Can't be seen as unpopular as its the truth. AA these days is terrible, tabloid motorsport coverage
I don't know about anyone else, but on the rare occasion I buy AA, after a few days, I couldn't care less where it is. And yet, AA's I've bought from the early/mid '90s, I still have stored in boxes in the back of my garage.
Old 31 Oct 2011, 01:52 (Ref:2979332)   #25
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The following was penned by Yarrive Konsky who is the promoter of the Australian Superbike Series and was posted on the Cycleonline website.

Quote:
WOW……I sat motionless for quite some time after reading Jill Singer’s personal views that blatantly blanket motorsport to be evil-spirited. Ms Singer, your disrespectful opinions laid bare your shortcomings as a knowledgeable, researched journalist and compassionate human being. I am glad you’re clever with words, as I feel you will always do well ducking behind them.

As humans we are taught to love, improve, help, support, encourage, nurture, and develop ourselves and others, and above all respect the freedoms to do as we please so long as we do it diligently without harm to others. We choose to go after our dreams and we inspire others to do the same. Perhaps you weren’t taught these things.

How dare you suggest motorsport fans watch to revel in the death of someone they love, follow, admire and feel a sense of connection with. When someone is tackled in football and crushed, fans cheer - by your rationale, they must be hoping for blood. God forgive such an inhumane suggestion. When someone falls in our sport we worry, pray and hope they get up. To consider that anyone wishes death or injury on someone is barbaric.

You go on to bemoan the outpouring of grief from fans following the death of Marco Simoncelli – as though you are qualified to judge – and have the audacity to complain about the response to your inaccurate, insensitive, evangelical accusations that understandably provoked contempt from motorsport fans.

Not only have you invalidated and disregarded the emotions and opinions of the entire motorsport fraternity, Jill Singer, you personally have disrespected a supreme elite athlete, a son, and a human being without true insight to his reason for being.

You also quoted Valentino Rossi – “The rest means nothing when this happens”.

You then continued to question his reason for continuing to compete. Who are you to make such a comment? Do you know him? Again, you place blame for the passing of motorsport athletes on others. Motorsport athletes are accountable for choosing to compete; not their fellow riders, motorcycle manufacturers, or the fans.

Rossi has said, “Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside.” Such raw vulnerability from a man who is revered as genius for his capabilities can never be questioned. He competes for the love of sport, for the peace it brings his heart, mind and soul – everything else is merely an unexpected but deserving bonus.

These athletes are no different to anyone who has a burning desire to better themselves. Whether the field of sport is athletics, football, cycling, or it’s a field of business, scientific research, or perhaps even journalism. They are merely people trying to be better every day and in every moment of their lives…..stand up and bloody applaud them.

Your suggestion that motorsport is a legitimised form of road carnage is nonsense and provokes rage. It saddens me that you think so little of the capabilities of our drivers and riders and the respect they have for one another. Road carnage is how you label our sport? These athletes ride with the same precision brain surgeons operate.

Imagine, if you will, Australian hero Casey Stoner is racing at 300kmh; he has to use his front brake, rear brake, change gears, use the clutch, throttle, counter steer the motorcycle, balance the inside and outside peg, look way ahead in order to read the track at the speed he is traveling. Now add passing into the equation. A rider is calculating and physically activating upward of nine to 10 separate elements simultaneously. Rossi, Stoner and the field of Moto GP racers are athletic geniuses. How ignorant of you to suggest this is not sport. How ignorant of you to denigrate motorsport fans, overlooking their admiration and appreciation of such finely tuned skills and talents, and simply labelling them as ghouls.

Don’t feel for a moment you have the right to pass judgement on the competitors, the sport or the fans.

I will not pass judgement on other sports, I admire athletes in all disciplines, but let me make it clear race fans do not turn up to horse race events to see jockeys or horses die, and this happens more often around the world than it does on the motorsport scene. This does not make death right in our sport, nor does it make it acceptable in any sport. But people will not stop doing what they love because there is an element of danger involved. More people die rock fishing, so should we place a ban on fishing? Boats capsize and fishermen die, should we ban the sport of fishing and boating. Should all boat lovers, car and motorcycle enthusiasts and manufacturers walk around with blood on their hands?

R.I.P Marco Simoncelli.

PS: Some research I thought I would do own your behalf. These figures are based on the elite performers in varied sports.
· Motorcycle Racing - 2003-2011: 3 deaths
· AFL 2011: deaths due to sporting incidents: 3
· Boxing: 6 deaths in the ring since 2003
· Cycling: 2000-2009, 10 racing deaths, 2010-2011 2 deaths
· Rugby: 5 players died since 2000 due to injuries sustained on the field
· Gymnastics: Rates of eating disorders / knowingly stunting young children’s’ growth for competition (major research showing adverse effects of years of gymnastics training)