Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 7 Jan 2002, 02:09 (Ref:194745)   #1
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans movie 1971

Le Mans movie 1971 is on Win 14 January 2001 at 12.00 (lunch) (Australia)

Is this movie any good??
Old 7 Jan 2002, 03:15 (Ref:194750)   #2
GasMan
Racer

GasMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crikey. I've been hunting around for that film for what feels like decades now with no luck and it's on the tele?! Probably worth watching at least the once I'd guess, considering it is about LeMans. Would love to see it on UK tele at some point in the future.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 07:21 (Ref:194772)   #3
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Le Mans movie 1971

Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
Is this movie any good??
If you are purely a cineast - no.
If you love sportscars (and I guess that's why you are here ) - HELL YES! Set your VCR, you will want to watch it again.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 08:26 (Ref:194777)   #4
Abs
Rookie

Abs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mill House Books are selling the video for 25GBPs. It is in NTSC format, but most of the new video players now support NTSC playback.

If anyone is unterested I'll dig the contact details out and post them later.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 08:41 (Ref:194780)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Abs
Mill House Books are selling the video for 25GBPs. It is in NTSC format, but most of the new video players now support NTSC playback.

If anyone is unterested I'll dig the contact details out and post them later.
That would be appreciated.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 08:57 (Ref:194785)   #6
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
The husband of a colleague at work recently taped it for me, as I couldn't find a copy of it anywhere, (UK). Cybersdorf is spot on; as a film it is pretty bad, as a piece of history with Porsche 917s battling Ferrari 512s it is just amazing. The start of the race is brilliantly portrayed and the sight of Gulf 917s getting sideways out of Arnage should be appreciated by most forum members.

Finally for those of you who haven't understood the passion in the debate about changes to the track, you should understand after seeing the Mulsanne in all its glory, along with the original Dunlop layout and even the old Maison Blanche section. As somebody said in response to my thread about Kyalami, nostaglia ain't want it used to be!
Old 7 Jan 2002, 10:23 (Ref:194815)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Since there isn't much of a plot to speak of in this movie, I suggest you watch it as a documentary
Old 7 Jan 2002, 10:30 (Ref:194819)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I really like it. It's as good if not better than Grand Prix. There is also a book about Steve McQueen and the making of this film. It's called "A French Kiss with Death". OK it's a stupid title, but is a very good book. It talks about Steve's early career and his earlier races preparing for the film.

Here's a link to info about the book.
http://autosportsltd.com/fkwd.html

Last edited by Adam43; 7 Jan 2002 at 10:31.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 10:57 (Ref:194824)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Grand Prix has a better cast, and an attempt was made to actually give the movie a plot. Both stories are lousy, of course. There isn't one good movie about racing, really: Days of Thunder, Driven, Winning - none of them are any good story-wise.

Did you ever see this James Garner flick, "The Racing Scene" about his exploits as a team owner? That's actually quite neat; it has lots of actual race footage. A documentary, the sole purpose of which is to portrait Garner as an über-cool racer dude - but hey, it's his own movie

What other movies about racing are there?
Old 7 Jan 2002, 11:42 (Ref:194834)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Better cast? Steve McQueen is in Le Mans!
Better cast?It had 917s in Le Mans!

Both films (and most other racing films) have the "love" interest who spends the whole film despairing about motor racing, with normally a few screams or tantrums thrown in!

Do you think Schmuacher's wife is like this?

I seem to vaguely remember a thread about motor racing films a couple of months ago.

The footage in Grand Prix and Le Mans is fantastic, both made by people who clearly cared about the project. Unlike driven. I went to see Driven at the cinema, in it's few week of realise. Luckily the three of us who went were the only people in the whole cinema otherwise we would have been thrown out. I don't think we were meant to laugh that much! We cheered every time a proper motor racing driver was on. Totally devoid of a decent plot, but also the most unrealistic motor racing movie of all time? It made Days of Thunder credible.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 11:55 (Ref:194838)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always enjoy both Grand Prix and Le Mans when they're on (or used to be on) Speedvision. Last year when we went to Le Mans we stopped briefly at the spot where Steve McQueen stops to ponder his fate, at the beginning, having just seen the movie on Speedvision. It is best as a sort of documentary (why do they bother with Love Interests in these movies, who cares about anything but the racing?) and is interesting to see that the drivers are all a lot older in those days too.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 12:03 (Ref:194839)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Better cast? Steve McQueen is in Le Mans!
And Siegfried Rauch, and Elga Andersen. Duh. Grand Prix had Garner, Montand, Eve-Marie Saint, Adolfo Celi, JOCHEN RINDT,...!

Quote:
Better cast?It had 917s in Le Mans!
Touché!

Quote:
Do you think Schmuacher's wife is like this?
No, she's pregnant all the time.

Quote:
Luckily the three of us who went were the only people in the whole cinema otherwise we would have been thrown out. I don't think we were meant to laugh that much! We cheered every time a proper motor racing driver was on. Totally devoid of a decent plot, but also the most unrealistic motor racing movie of all time? It made Days of Thunder credible.
LOL!

I deliberately gave Driven a miss. Stallone... - oh please. Rocky on wheels.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 12:10 (Ref:194842)   #13
Abs
Rookie

Mill House contact details as promised.

http://www.millhousebooks.com/

Just search under NTSC videos for Le Mans.

If anyone knows where I can get a conversion from NTSC to UK format done I'd appreciate it as my video is not up to playing this tape!!

Happy Viewing.
Old 7 Jan 2002, 12:15 (Ref:194845)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
I deliberately gave Driven a miss. Stallone... - oh please. Rocky on wheels.
I don't know why we did it! It was a moment of weakness. We knew it would bad, but we still had to see it. Madness.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 12:33 (Ref:195414)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Canada we can get them converted at the photography store (Blacks does the best job). Maisie sent me the whole of one year's BTCC tapes and it cost me about $150 to have them all converted, but it was well worth it.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 20:08 (Ref:195691)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got both Le Mans and Grand Prix on tape from the last time each was shown on British TV.

I guess I've watched Le Mans a few times....

well, quite a few times.....,

well 40 or 50 times, I suppose!

But then you all know me by now.........

Now, what was it you said Champ? Is it worth watching did you say?

Oh yes!!!!

Last edited by Aysedasi; 8 Jan 2002 at 20:10.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 20:25 (Ref:195718)   #17
Abs
Rookie

Aysedasi,

I am very happy for you now that I know you have the film on tape, but please tell me where I can get an NTSC copy transfered to UK format cheaper than buying a new video player.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 21:58 (Ref:195773)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anything's possible Abs. I'll get back to you on that.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 22:02 (Ref:195776)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
How about this one Abs? (First up on a Google search).

http://www.alkenmrs.com/video/prices.html

£16.00 - Port Talbot company.

If you want more, just put - Video NSTC to UK format conversation into Google and you might even find something local to you - I'll bet there are hundreds of firms offering the same service in the UK.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 8 Jan 2002 at 22:05.
Old 8 Jan 2002, 23:55 (Ref:195818)   #20
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be taping Le Mans on PAL format. I suppose I can organise some copies for those in PAL countries. It may be good to swap vids I have some V8 supercar races on tape (including Bathurst 2000 and 2001 - the whole 8 hrs each)
Old 9 Jan 2002, 20:53 (Ref:196247)   #21
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore

I don't know why we did it! It was a moment of weakness. We knew it would bad, but we still had to see it. Madness.
well , i bought it from the states on region 1 dvd....what a waste of money that was.....Driven is the worst film ive ever seen...especially the end bit where they try and make it look like the Indionapolis grandstands are in the middle of Belle isle park DETRIOT !...abosolute pants !!! ..Stallone should be ashamed of himself .
Old 11 Jan 2002, 16:22 (Ref:197055)   #22
powermite
Rookie

powermite should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive ordered the american format video from Mill House Boooks but they have informed me that it is out of stock for a while.
I live only 30 miles or so from that company in Port Talbot so i'll have it converted.Let you all know what its like asap
PM
Old 11 Jan 2002, 18:40 (Ref:197128)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by powermite
Ive ordered the american format video from Mill House Boooks but they have informed me that it is out of stock for a while.
I live only 30 miles or so from that company in Port Talbot so i'll have it converted.Let you all know what its like asap
PM
Yes, nice one, pm. It sounds as though there could be a few takers for the service. Perhaps you could persuade them to do you a job lot? You could make a killing selling the converted vids!
Old 14 Jan 2002, 18:30 (Ref:198610)   #24
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't suppose anyone would consider capturing either of them to either an mpeg or QT mov?
Old 14 Jan 2002, 19:20 (Ref:198654)   #25
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Don't know if i'm missing anything obvious here, but it's on www.amazon.com ?