Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Feb 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1223211)   #1
scimmie
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Midlands
scimmie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reliant Sabre works cars

Hi All,

I am trying to get as much information on the Reliant Sabre works rally cars from the early sixties. I am especailly after photographs of any Sabre four's, Sabre six's or Scimitars racing, rallying etc. for my website.

http://sporting-reliants.com

Regards

Dave Poole
Old 12 Feb 2005, 06:44 (Ref:1223501)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This may do better in the Historic forum.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 08:10 (Ref:1223524)   #3
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oooh nice, I've just inherited a half restored SE5a from my late father . . . .the thought of competition had crossed my mind :-)
Old 12 Feb 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1223528)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Zef,

Does Justine know you're wearing her login?
Old 13 Feb 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1224563)   #5
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I noticed, when looking for something else, that www.theracrally.co.uk has entry lists showing the Sabres ("1960s" menu - 63 or 64?)
Old 14 Feb 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1225551)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dave,

Great website. However, since you are already aware of the late Don Pither's, two books (incidentally, The Scimitar and its Forebears was first published in October 1987), you may be struggling to find any more original 60's Sabre material and photos. Don unearthed pretty much all that could be found. You may already know that he also wrote a number of articles covering all the Reliant sports cars for the (now defunct?) 'Sporting Cars' magazine in the early 1980's. I wish you well in your endeavours.

John
Old 15 Feb 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1226563)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I know Gerry Marshall raced a Sabre in the 60's as I was having a pee in the old toilets at Mallory when he nearly tried to demolish them.
Old 27 Feb 2005, 16:13 (Ref:1237352)   #8
scimmie
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Midlands
Hi John, Thanks for re-correcting me about Don Pithers book. I met Don a couple of times, but i didn't know anything about Sabres then. I have most of the Sporting Cars magazines with Don's Sabre articles and quite a few original roadtest articles.

I have recently bought a few black and white photographs of when Robin Rew used to race his Sabre '876 HWD' and Don Pither racing his Sabe.

I see from your profile that you used to sprint a Sabre Six and a Scimitar GT!! Do you have any photos??

Best wishes

Dave Poole
http://sporting-reliants.com
Old 28 Feb 2005, 21:03 (Ref:1238388)   #9
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Competed in the Sabre 4 of Geoff Cooper navigating on the Illuminations Rally about 15 years ago.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 18:02 (Ref:1239264)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Scimmie, I'll try to find one or two.

Carrera, I knew Geoff quite well, but lost touch years ago.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1239367)   #11
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have not seen Geoff for a couple of years. He's always been keen on his Reliants whether they be in Sabre or Scimitar form.

If you know Geoff then you must be acquainted with the Vallers.
Old 1 Mar 2005, 23:27 (Ref:1239545)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
does anyone know if GTE's ever raced ? either Se5's or Se5a's

a great touring car, but a racer ? . . . . ..could be

I guess the 6 was way tooo fat to lap !
Old 2 Mar 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1240018)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera
Have not seen Geoff for a couple of years. He's always been keen on his Reliants whether they be in Sabre or Scimitar form.

If you know Geoff then you must be acquainted with the Vallers.
Yes, I know them although again not been in touch for many years. I knew the late Roger Valler pretty well. He actually purchased an old Sabre 4 that I had comprehensively destroyed (on the road, not in competition!) and I believe his son, John still owns it, but whether it is, or will ever be, put back together, I don't know.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1240023)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly

Yes, there has been a white one with green stripes, around the circuits for the last 2 or 3 seasons. I'll try and dig out an old programme to identify driver/entrant.

Agree, the SE6 would be pretty unsuitable, but probably fun!
Old 3 Mar 2005, 20:04 (Ref:1241547)   #15
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi there

there are photo's of a racing scimitar on (i think) the europa engineering website

any help ?
d-b
Old 5 Mar 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1243745)   #16
scimmie
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Midlands
Racing Scimitar GTE's

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly

I know that Trevor Farrington raced his green and white SE5 in the Anglo/American series a couple of years ago. I spoke to Trevor a last week at the historic motorsport show. He has sold his GTE now. If you look on my site under the motorsport section, youi will see Trevors car in action, plus a couple of pictures of a red SE5 that races in New Zealand!!

http://sporting-reliants.com/contents.htm

Cheers

Dave Poole
Old 5 Mar 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1243764)   #17
scimmie
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Midlands
There are two or three Scimitar racers in New Zealand that i know of that use the Holden v6 engines instead of the Essex v6's.

I do know Geoff Cooper and John Valler, who between them have a great selection of Sabre rally cars!!