Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Aug 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1984831)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I've got blue ones, and a blue cap as well

do I win a prize ?

I think my points are blue too
You dont get a prize,what you get is reliable starting!
Old 9 Aug 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1984869)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Theres always someone who has to fit a Managment system ,is,nt there Zef?
I've even been known to swear into my helmet mike. Haven't I Mike, you remember that time in........................................
Old 9 Aug 2007, 13:57 (Ref:1984894)   #28
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've got blue ones, and a blue cap as well

do I win a prize ?

I think my points are blue too
I thought you had a blue painted MSD box
Old 9 Aug 2007, 13:59 (Ref:1984896)   #29
LC driver
Rookie

Netherlands
The Netherlands
LC driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
well I know I'm in a dieing minority !
Count me in Zef so at least two of us have points No I have no connection with him but I buy al my ingnition parts at JS Motorsport (John Smirtwaite) never problems.
Old 10 Aug 2007, 11:16 (Ref:1985437)   #30
white65
Rookie

white65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have to admit new parts turned up today so have a busy weekend. Have to limit time spent on car seeing as at the moment have a damage cartalage and displaced knee cap so working on the car proves wearing at best, but can't complain hoping to get it going this weekend and frighten the neighbours with the side exit exhaust. I'm going to have to admit whn the car is all sorted i' going over to magnetic ignition rather than this stuff that one minute works and the next doesn't.
Old 14 Aug 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1988359)   #31
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
white65 . We are all sitting by our screens waiting for the news !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Aug 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1988438)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
well almost, I did take a loo break myself !!!
Old 14 Aug 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1989170)   #33
white65
Rookie

I finally have a spark soooo chuffed, turns out that when I was fitting up all the wiring that wasn't labelled I put the black/blue ignition cable on the wrong terminal of the ignition switch. This lead to nearly all the current being drained away and it was more luck than judgement that had got me a spark the first time. Now ihave a big fat spark but it also turns out that the cap I got on the dizzy when i bought the car is completely wrong too, so the right cap is ow winging it's way to me. Hopefully it'll all be hunky dory for my trip down to Goodwood. I would just like to say thanks for all the advice and support.................
Old 14 Aug 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1989188)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
You haven't got a crappy Ford dizzy with the wrong cap that was made for the V4 engine that's a few degrees out have you ? If so chuck it away and fit a Lucas one !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Aug 2007, 23:12 (Ref:1989208)   #35
white65
Rookie

Nope got a lUCAS 43d4, with the wrong cap..........................
Old 15 Aug 2007, 07:06 (Ref:1989310)   #36
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
You haven't got a crappy Ford dizzy with the wrong cap that was made for the V4 engine that's a few degrees out have you ? If so chuck it away and fit a Lucas one !
do you mean the motorcraft ones with the chocolate bearings that seize up and turn your HT leads into a nice twisted rope ?
Old 15 Aug 2007, 07:33 (Ref:1989326)   #37
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Zef I didn't know they fitted bearings in the Motorcraft dizzy, as they normally have about an inch of play from new !
Old 15 Aug 2007, 08:08 (Ref:1989355)   #38
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
when I say 'bearing' I mean they drilled a hole down the middle bigger than the rod they poked down it

I've just stripped a late 1500 GT and I had to hammer the B'st@rd out as it had seized solid, fortunately the last whack knocked it clean out and it flew in the bin, saved me having to physically touch it!
Old 20 Aug 2007, 19:37 (Ref:1993019)   #39
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Hey white65 if you cant get it going tow it down to Goodwood and I'll fix it in the car park. I'll bring a hammer and a pair of imperial mole grips !
Old 21 Aug 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1993488)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I'll have a fleet of Cortinas and bits there too

6 taxis and a race car
Old 22 Aug 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1994517)   #41
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make sure you have recently purchased petrol in the system not some that is 6 months or more old.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1994533)   #42
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Zef I didn't know they fitted bearings in the Motorcraft dizzy, as they normally have about an inch of play from new !
Ah, the good old days of 'value engineering' - or 'design by accountants'!
Old 22 Aug 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1994579)   #43
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Gordon, is it right that only imperial hammers work on those things as well?
Anything in KG just doesn't work?
Old 22 Aug 2007, 17:04 (Ref:1994614)   #44
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I haven't replaced my 2lb ball pien hammer with the metric equivalent yet as its a little heavier to pick up ! RTH I did ask him that on post 2 he's obviously never tried to start a mower in the spring
Old 25 Aug 2007, 21:28 (Ref:1996462)   #45
white65
Rookie

Ok got new fuel new starter motor and a big fat mains powered battery jumper and still turns over slow and won't fire shame as i paid for the pre 66 parking on the Lavant bank, but hey ho. Took the plugs out and spins over like crazy so sunday we're going to tow the bugger maybe just maybe it might make it.. Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 25 Aug 2007, 22:35 (Ref:1996502)   #46
vjay48
Racer

vjay48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
poor earth?
Old 26 Aug 2007, 00:23 (Ref:1996551)   #47
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
white65 Before you go spending "more" shed loads of money on unnecessary things as you obviously have, get someone that knows what they are up too to look at it . How much do you know about the engine in the car ? has it been rebuilt and by whom ? did they know what they were doing ? is the valve timing correct ? has it got the correct 10 tooth starter bendix gear ? As I said its a very simple engine and shouldn't be any problem to a half decent mechanic and I don't mean a "fitter" As vjay 48 said has it got an earth from the chassis to the engine/gearbox. Clip a jumper lead from the earth of the battery to the engine somewhere and see if it makes any difference ! I have seen all this over the years and its normally something very basic.
Old 26 Aug 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1996628)   #48
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Gordon talks sense . . . Poor earth leads are a cheap or sometimes free and simple cure.

have you tried bump starting yet ? often with fresh build rope seal engines thay can be a bit tight ( some rope seals are not very good quality) until the thing starts and it settles down
Old 26 Aug 2007, 06:56 (Ref:1996629)   #49
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjay48
poor earth?
_

Last edited by terence; 26 Aug 2007 at 07:00.