Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:57 (Ref:3041299)   #951
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Not sure if this thread is a discussion on NZV8's or just schoolgirl's squabbling, but back on topic....

I think that its more likely to be the NZV8's rather than V8ST's to be the first to have another manufacturer purely because of the strong ties to Toyota of the two mentioned above....
Possibly, but Roger made a good point about development costs and audience size earlier, so we shall see. Talk is of a third in ST's next season too. Only about 10 months to go (or 8 months for NZV8's)!
Old 15 Mar 2012, 06:41 (Ref:3041307)   #952
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
weren't st talking it up (before their cars were even completed) about having more manufacturers in their series than V8SC?
Old 15 Mar 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3041312)   #953
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
wonder which one the NZV8 will use...
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3041314)   #954
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hmmm Probably the UZ actually. Lots more development done on that. Bugger all done on the UR so far.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:07 (Ref:3041315)   #955
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
weren't st talking it up (before their cars were even completed) about having more manufacturers in their series than V8SC?
Well if that's true then all they would have needed to do was add one, wouldn't they? It would have been said before the recent V8SC announcement of Nissan coming in, so apart from having your usual dig I'm not sure what the point of that post was...
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3041318)   #956
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Hmmm Probably the UZ actually. Lots more development done on that. Bugger all done on the UR so far.
The 4.7l version? Would still be the smallest out there by some margin, so will have a different performance curve. We get back to the issue of just how much you can control the torque curve with electronics alone...
Old 15 Mar 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3041321)   #957
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
1uz. 4 ltr revving to 9500 rpm
In reality I think it will depend on if Toyota themselves decide to put money into it. Personally I wouldn't be putting money on it
Old 15 Mar 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3041384)   #958
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
I think that its more likely to be the NZV8's rather than V8ST's to be the first to have another manufacturer purely because of the strong ties to Toyota of the two mentioned above....
Although there are some dealer relationships with Toyota in the NZV8s (McKenzie and Richards), it is a big step to get all the panels made up, moulds to make the composite components and take what is basically a production engine and engineer it into a race engine that meets the parity criteria. To do this without the approval and assistance from Toyota is a very big ask.

I understand in ST, McIntyre is effectively a Ford NZ entry and Murphy a Holden NZ entry as they have significant backing from the respective "factories". I don't know if these "factory" relationships exist in either NZV8 or the revamped NZV8.

If this is correct then it appears that Ford NZ and Holden NZ have backed ST instead of the revamped NZV8 and that may be a disincentive for Toyota NZ getting involved?

The cost of Holden and Ford's backing would be much less than Toyotas as they didn't need to develop an engine or underwrite the cost of panels etc. Therefore it is a much bigger commitment required from any new manufacturer like Toyota.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3041401)   #959
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
The cost of Holden and Ford's backing would be much less than Toyotas as they didn't need to develop an engine or underwrite the cost of panels etc. Therefore it is a much bigger commitment required from any new manufacturer like Toyota.
There is probably no reason that they can't fit the Toyota panels to the new NZV8 and still use one either the ford or holden engine though.
Just dont promote the engine type and dont open the bonnet for when on show?
Old 15 Mar 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3041745)   #960
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
If this is correct then it appears that Ford NZ and Holden NZ have backed ST instead of the revamped NZV8 and that may be a disincentive for Toyota NZ getting involved?

Agreed, and I think if Toyota NZ were going to become involved in developing "their" version of the car, it would make sense that they would want to develop a current engine, such as the UR, rather than the UZ which is now basically obsolete. It gives them the option of running a 5.0 or 5.7 litre engine too. (although the long stroke of the 5.7 might not be that suitable, it is basically a "truck" engine)
Old 15 Mar 2012, 20:36 (Ref:3041794)   #961
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Agreed, and I think if Toyota NZ were going to become involved in developing "their" version of the car, it would make sense that they would want to develop a current engine, such as the UR, rather than the UZ which is now basically obsolete. It gives them the option of running a 5.0 or 5.7 litre engine too. (although the long stroke of the 5.7 might not be that suitable, it is basically a "truck" engine)
Truck engine works alright in a Dodge Viper though...
Old 15 Mar 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3041826)   #962
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
oh just get one of these off Brennan

it's close enough

well sort of
Old 16 Mar 2012, 03:00 (Ref:3041981)   #963
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I reckon the STs will be well off the SC lap times. They are heavier and 200 odd hp down
Old 16 Mar 2012, 03:50 (Ref:3041988)   #964
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
I reckon the STs will be well off the SC lap times. They are heavier and 200 odd hp down
What, 575 compared to 630?? That's 55 HP by my reckoning - anyway they actually have more torque than the SC's, and we worked out earlier that their torque-to-weight ratio is better than a SC, which means on a tighter track they'd have the advantage. Pukekohe? Maybe not but at somewhere like HD I reckon there wouldn't be a lot in it...

Just checked the kerb weights too, V8SC 1355kg without driver, V8ST 1300 kg including driver...

Last edited by Goat Boy; 16 Mar 2012 at 03:57.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 03:56 (Ref:3041990)   #965
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Oh ok I thought it was 500 vs 700

When did the SC drop under 700??
Old 16 Mar 2012, 04:15 (Ref:3041996)   #966
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:

The SC has never been anywhere near 700, apparently the very best now may get 650 but that's as good as it's ever been to my knowledge. My recollections when they first came about was that they developed about 600 compared to an NZV8's 400-430.

Wonder what the new NZV8 donks will be allowed to develop?
Old 16 Mar 2012, 04:41 (Ref:3042000)   #967
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Hmm seems I could be out of date with my figures. I also thought the SCs were 1250.
Still, given the level of developmet and tech in them, I'd be surprised if the STs are as fast.

Can one of the ST teams please test at Puke?
Old 16 Mar 2012, 04:56 (Ref:3042003)   #968
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

the Fords and Holdens were just over 700hp before the major rule changes about 6 or 7 years ago when the Holdens switched from the Chev engine to the Aurora engine.Lots of other rules at the same time such as restricted choice of camshafts, limited valve lift, minimum components weight etc. When Murph did his "lap of the gods" it was with the old spec. Chev engine, which might go some way to explain why it has taken so long to get back to that lap time around the Mountain. The ST has been tested around Puke, albeit the prototype car. I believe the times were comparable to a V8SC, even in this early stage.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3042071)   #969
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
now this car is V8SC approved

yeah baby!
Old 16 Mar 2012, 16:57 (Ref:3042297)   #970
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just had to waste a bunch of my time deleting pathetic bickering and one or two fankly libelous posts. I'd be very grateful if a few of you would just grow some and grow up, and stick to the topic while you're at it. Thank you.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3042351)   #971
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I've just had to waste a bunch of my time deleting pathetic bickering and one or two fankly libelous posts. I'd be very grateful if a few of you would just grow some and grow up, and stick to the topic while you're at it. Thank you.
Agreed, it's been a pain in the ass to read through that BS to get to the actual NZV8 post.

Goat Boy. I think you power to weight on the ST may be a little off, considering they had a min weight of 1390 at HD.

Bring on the future of NZV8 exciting times ahead.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3042456)   #972
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Estimated 635+ bhp limited to maximum 7,500 RPM
Old 16 Mar 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3042469)   #973
Fairlane GTA
Rookie

New Zealand
Parnell
Fairlane GTA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
the Fords and Holdens were just over 700hp before the major rule changes about 6 or 7 years ago when the Holdens switched from the Chev engine to the Aurora engine.
As far as I know the very best of the old spec 18 degree Chev engines would have maybe got to 600hp with a tailwind. Most would have been mid to late 500's.

The Aurora was introduced for parity reasons, same deck height, conrod length etc as the Ford engine, and a special small port version of an existing Chev canted valve head. The Aurora was introduced in 2003, but the tightening of engine regs, re camshafts and such didn't come in till later, maybe 07/08 ish.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3042525)   #974
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewayz View Post
Agreed, it's been a pain in the ass to read through that BS to get to the actual NZV8 post.

Goat Boy. I think you power to weight on the ST may be a little off, considering they had a min weight of 1390 at HD.

Bring on the future of NZV8 exciting times ahead.
Yeah I took that from the early press release, but Mark Petch informed me it was 1390 at HD compared to 1455 for a V8SC.
Old 17 Mar 2012, 05:40 (Ref:3042566)   #975
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
J Mac confirmed 1390 kg was the figure used last meeting, as those with light cars had to match the heaviest car in the field. For Jmr their only option was to run more fuel which did not help the handling.