Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Jun 2017, 20:34 (Ref:3738012)   #1801
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Must be 'Three Word Thursday'..........
Old 1 Jun 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3738016)   #1802
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
This comes under the heading of 'phew, what a whopper'! And before anyone panics, it's an airyplane..........

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techan...n=true#image=1
Jet engines?

I thought all of these people were supposed to be into solar power and stuff.

What will Bill Gates think of this use of Microsoft Billions?
Old 1 Jun 2017, 22:24 (Ref:3738023)   #1803
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It appears there has been a mini tsunami on the beach at Zandvoort.

A very rare event apparently.

Presumably the arrival of IR is pure coincidence then?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...therlands.html
Old 1 Jun 2017, 23:06 (Ref:3738028)   #1804
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This comes under the heading of 'phew, what a whopper'! And before anyone panics, it's an airyplane..........

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techan...n=true#image=1
Info on this...

http://stratolaunch.com/

Designed as a low orbit launcher, powered by 6 Pratt & Whitney engines as used on 747s!
Old 2 Jun 2017, 05:17 (Ref:3738052)   #1805
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Nearer to home, I'm still not sure what the practical uses for this giant are-

https://www.hybridairvehicles.com/
Old 2 Jun 2017, 05:51 (Ref:3738053)   #1806
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

You might need something like that to live in if Komrade Korbyn wins the election!!
Old 2 Jun 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3738054)   #1807
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
On the beech at this moment . Not a cloud in the sky. Shame I have to go back to the track. Hey ho
Old 2 Jun 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3738131)   #1808
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Given the result of its first flight I'm not sure that "groundbreaking" is a good way to allude to its capabilities ....
Old 2 Jun 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3738132)   #1809
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
You might need something like that to live in if Komrade Korbyn wins the election!!
Live in along with the rest of the residents of somewhere the size of a large country town I would think.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 13:47 (Ref:3738134)   #1810
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Jet engines?

I thought all of these people were supposed to be into solar power and stuff.

What will Bill Gates think of this use of Microsoft Billions?
Just looking at that photo again ...

Will they need to widen the runway?

The undercarriages are very close to the edges of the tarmac as shown - presumably that was developed as part of the hangar and engineering complex. So could be made whatever size was required.

Landing in a cross wind of any sort might be a tad tricky and it looks like there may only be about 12ft of tarmac either side of the wheels.

Still, a few square kms of tarmac added to the cost of the plane is probably not a big deal as far as the budget is concerned.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3738135)   #1811
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Live in along with the rest of the residents of somewhere the size of a large country town I would think.
It could be very useful for Delta if he is going to continue his nomadic lifestyle.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 14:28 (Ref:3738143)   #1812
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Stop the press . Esper is joining me in the sea tomorrow morning at 6am to celebrate his 52nd birthday 😀
Old 2 Jun 2017, 15:30 (Ref:3738154)   #1813
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One for all those Vauxhall lovers on here - I'm sure you'll both be pleased:

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/n...-to-the-public
Old 2 Jun 2017, 15:32 (Ref:3738155)   #1814
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

Thanks gary
Old 2 Jun 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3738158)   #1815
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

Looks like no expense spared on the location!
Old 2 Jun 2017, 15:54 (Ref:3738161)   #1816
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Looks like no expense spared on the location!
Certainly not! They have picked one of the nicer parts of Luton for the display, but why they did not want my Astra there is a mystery.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 15:58 (Ref:3738163)   #1817
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Certainly not! They have picked one of the nicer parts of Luton for the display, but why they did not want my Astra there is a mystery.
How long before they get a ticket for parking on the pavement?
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3738183)   #1818
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I should have spoken sooner! Haven't done anything about hotels - whereabouts have you cancelled?
I had one large room in a nice place, Varennes Vauzelles/ Four de Vaux, and another in Hotel du Pont Neuf (Le Veurdre, ran by an English couple in time, ask for the new building). Bear in mind that the circuit is about 2 "départments" la Nièvre and Allier. Around the circuit the hotel rooms capacity is not huge. For dinner if you like meat, I do recommend La Grande Chaumière at Saint Pierre le Moutier, the owner is a former butcher. Reservation mandatory, red wine Mennetou Salon recommended if you like head ache, white one is OK!
John, if I can help, as on usual, you're warmly welcome!!
Old 2 Jun 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3738186)   #1819
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
But why they did not want my Astra there is a mystery.
This is the main problem with youngsters. They dont like the hard competition!
Old 2 Jun 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3738189)   #1820
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I had one large room in a nice place, Varennes Vauzelles/ Four de Vaux, and another in Hotel du Pont Neuf (Le Veurdre, ran by an English couple in time, ask for the new building). Bear in mind that the circuit is about 2 "départments" la Nièvre and Allier. Around the circuit the hotel rooms capacity is not huge. For dinner if you like meat, I do recommend La Grande Chaumière at Saint Pierre le Moutier, the owner is a former butcher. Reservation mandatory, red wine Mennetou Salon recommended if you like head ache, white one is OK!
John, if I can help, as on usual, you're warmly welcome!!
Thank you Gerard. I'm still debating in my own mind whether to go to Magny Cours or Brands Hatch. I need to see the Masters F1 during the year but an old school friend & former FF champion is racing in the Historic FF's so I equally want to see him race.

...or I could just stay at home as it is Rallye Ternois here, also the Somme 101st commemorations at Thiepval & elsewhere locally. I should also be at something in Norwich. Yes, it's the busiest weekend of the year. One thing is certain - I won't be going to Festival of Speed. Simply too crowded these days.

Watching the TV News just now, I see there was quite an event at Silverstone today to celebrate the Williams team's 40th birthday. Didn't know about that but there looked to be a lot of people there.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 18:38 (Ref:3738200)   #1821
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, this weekend will be overcrowded on our roads, sometimes a nightmare. You will be able to speak English attending either meeting! I would go for Brands but this is only for me. Lets wait a little bit to see how Masters and our FFSA can work together.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3738205)   #1822
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, this weekend will be overcrowded on our roads, sometimes a nightmare. You will be able to speak English attending either meeting! I would go for Brands but this is only for me. Lets wait a little bit to see how Masters and our FFSA can work together.
It won't be a great weekend for travel, but at least Brands is close enough for a day trip. Magny Cours isn't...

Incidentally, I have another wonderful local classic event this weekend - the Route des Vacances classic run from the Lens area to Berck-sur-Mer. It's both cars & buses, loosely tracing an old traditional holiday route from the mining area. They have a lengthy lunch stop in Hesdin, where I catch up with them. This is the eighth year, always son Pentecost Sunday, it's become a very successful event.

Then on Monday, another classic event + 'Course de caisse du savon' (who can work that one out, apart from Gerard?) in a tiny village called Willeman. It's a mad house!

Now it's time for the Isle of Man TT on TV. Someone from the village has gone - his first-ever trip to England.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 20:27 (Ref:3738221)   #1823
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Interesting.

Is that the Heritage centre in the photo?

A few weeks ago, heading down the M1 on a Sunday for a family gathering, I spotted, briefly, what looked like a "better-than-showroom" example of what I think was a Ventora. A rare thing in its day. I'm amazed that any have survived.
Old 2 Jun 2017, 22:01 (Ref:3738238)   #1824
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Interesting.

Is that the Heritage centre in the photo?

A few weeks ago, heading down the M1 on a Sunday for a family gathering, I spotted, briefly, what looked like a "better-than-showroom" example of what I think was a Ventora. A rare thing in its day. I'm amazed that any have survived.
Apparently Gary the Admiral who lead the attack on Pearl Harbour drove a Vauxhall Ventora Tora Tora.
Old 3 Jun 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3738267)   #1825
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Vauxhall Ventora Tora Tora.

Bob, if you look at the emblem you have on your bonnet or front grill, dont you think Vauxhall and Peugeot already met before. Or is it a conspiracy?

John, course de " Caisses Ã* savon" is gonna be more popular than ever. A huge sponsor (selling energy drinks) will produce a show in domaine de Saint Cloud near Paris, to take place on 1st october. The selection committee takes things very seriously, they look more professional than some others…
ça va cracher des bulles … de savon !
Closed Thread