Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:14 (Ref:328544)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What;s up with Andretti?

Hard to believe that this is the second time this season that Michael has qualified dead last. What's going on? He seems to be struggling with the Lola on road courses for sure, I'm surprised he doesn't use the Reynard as I'm sure they have enough spares for one. Maybe he is losing his edge, he must be in his 40s. Or perhaps he has his eye on this rumoured venture of personally buying out Team Motorola and perhaps running IRL as owner-driver. Any thoughts?
Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:18 (Ref:328548)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got to say it:

He's getting old!!!!
Old 7 Jul 2002, 10:29 (Ref:328555)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was the way he looked on track, in both his primary and his spare car. Cristiano and Bruno were simply leaving him in the dust, and I think it has made him nervous. Plus there has been a lot of emphasis on how many times he has won here and everyone who saw him win last year knows that was just phenomenal good luck on his part. He drove a terrible race, but the guys who were driving a good race simply threw it away on bad pit strategy or exploded. Tags nearly beat him even so!

You never know with him. Still, since I am going to the victory party, I hope he doesnt' win!
Old 7 Jul 2002, 11:09 (Ref:328588)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, maybe he's trying to repeat last year...
Old 7 Jul 2002, 11:41 (Ref:328604)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti had problems with his main car, electrical I think. He then had to switch to his backup car which had a fuel pickup problem, which consequently meant that he had to qualify on full tanks. Nobody will be quick that way. No mysteries, just plain bad luck.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 7 Jul 2002, 14:37 (Ref:328684)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I think he was 6th in the Saturday practice, before his fuel pickup problems began, and then he was 6th again in the Sunday warmup. But with these new mandatory-pit rules, I find it very unlikely that he'll repeat last year's result.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 01:57 (Ref:329876)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Michael is 37. Maybe he thinks if he goes to IRL he can dominate again. Which is what Unser Jr. probably thought. His results have been uneven at best.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Jul 2002, 02:09 (Ref:329879)   #8
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please don't be sloppy with the facts, Micheal Andretti is not 37. He was born Oct 5, 1962. That makes him 39 years and 9 months old.

Andretti started last because he withdrew his primary car. Yes, Michael slower than he once was, but remember he won as recently as Long Beach this season.

Andretti's interest in the IRL has nothing to do with dominating again, but more to do with a career once his driving days are over. With money from Motorola and Honda he may be able to start his own IRL team. Michael has expressed an interest in being a team owner, but he is certainly smart enough not to use his own money. I'd perfer to see him stay in CART, but if somebody is offering to pay the bills, it's hard to say no....
Old 9 Jul 2002, 07:08 (Ref:329939)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I wonder if his dad would still go to all the races?
Old 9 Jul 2002, 11:02 (Ref:330082)   #10
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
Mario was at Indy the last two years. He was also at the inagural USGP at Tony Georges invitation.

Whether or not Mario will travel to all of the IRL events probably depends on Texaco. Mario still works for Texaco as a spokesman, and does a lot of personal appearance work for them at the CART events. Texaco pays all of his travel expense as wel. (like I said, the Andretti's are smart enough not to spend their own money on anything, Texaco also built Mario a new house in Nazareth about 7 years ago) He may be obligated to continue attending CART events at Texaco bequest, even if his son is racing elsewhere...
Old 9 Jul 2002, 11:10 (Ref:330086)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Texaco will go back to sponsoring da Matta if Mikey goes to the Dark Side. They'd certainly get more value for their money!

Maybe even Mario will hang around with his good friend Paul Newman again ...
Old 9 Jul 2002, 11:53 (Ref:330112)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I stand corrected on Michael's age! Excellent point made about following the dollars and certainly Michael would be prudent to prepare for life after his career as an active driver closes. My point though about IRL is that Michael has done pretty well over the years on the ovals, and seems to like racing on the smaller ones. Perhaps part of his decision-making is that he can more readily duplicate his past success in CART running an oval series as his career closes.

I would prefer that he stay in CART just so we have the odd American born driver or two still there, the Andretti name is still a good draw and I think (hope) with the right equipment he could still be a regular winner. CART's many difficulties will only be compounded for Mr. Pook if Andretti leaves the series. That would be a tough PR blow.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 07:57 (Ref:331580)   #13
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
News from Auto Sport Magazine

Looks like Andretti may go...
http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=19791&s=18
Old 11 Jul 2002, 08:44 (Ref:331607)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Losing the name "Michael" is not as big of a deal as losing the name "Andretti".

Mario's not the type to talk to the media about starting a team in CART if he weren't more than a little bit serious about it. I'll admit that Michael jumping ship would be a coup for TG, but Mario is a household name. In every household, everywhere. Mario also has a better media presence (charisma). I'm sure the sponsors know that. I guess I shouldn't count my chickens, but I'm really looking forward to Mario coming back to the sport.

Never really did like Michael anyway.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 12:11 (Ref:331744)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Gaining Mario as an owner would far outweigh the loss of Michael. The name "Mario" is almost synonomous (sic) with the word "racing" for most Americans. If he brings the same drive and purpose to ownership as he did to his driving his team will be competitive right out of the box.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 15:57 (Ref:331965)   #16
Liz
Veteran

During Molson Indy Week here they asked people on the street (on camera) what they liked about the MIT. Several people said they liked to see "MARIO Andretti" race because he had won so many times here!

My guess is that nobody will know Mikey has gone, as long as Mario says. People seem to think it's the same guy.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 18:09 (Ref:332034)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously... during the autograph session people were referring to Michael as Mario too... lol...Mario doesn't need an autograph session to sign autographs.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 14 Jul 2002, 16:59 (Ref:333713)   #18
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Mario doesn't need an autograph session to sign autographs.
No, he just needs you to line up in front of the Andretti Signature Line merchandise trailer and he'll sign anything you want...provided that you purchased it from him first
Old 14 Jul 2002, 17:01 (Ref:333715)   #19
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Several people said they liked to see "MARIO Andretti" race because he had won so many times here!

My guess is that nobody will know Mikey has gone, as long as Mario says. People seem to think it's the same guy.
Hmmm, I thought that Torontonians (?) were known for being knowledgable about CART racing. I guess stupidity runs rampant everywhere...