Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Sep 2002, 16:53 (Ref:382615)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti/Green make it official - Mike, Dario & Tony K gone one

From Champweb.net:

Andretti Green Racing (AGR) today announced it will field three entries in the 2003 Indy Racing League for Michael Andretti, Dario Franchitti and Tony Kanaan.
Andretti Green Racing’s engines will be maintained and developed in an exclusive relationship with Honda Performance Development.

The sponsorship details of Andretti Green’s Indy Racing League program are still being finalized, but at this point the Motorola, Archipelago, 7-Eleven and Klein Tools brands intend to be on the AGR cars. As well, the choice of chassis will be announced at a later date.

“This is a milestone for Andretti Green Racing,” said Andretti, who, along with partners Kim Green and Kevin Savoree, have purchased Team Green from owner/founder Barry Green, effective Dec. 1, 2002. “We are excited to announce our entry into the Indy Racing League, and I am particularly happy to know that Dario and Tony will be my teammates.”
Old 17 Sep 2002, 17:03 (Ref:382625)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kanaan was a surprise. Now, who will replace Kanaan at Nunn? Will Nunn still have a car in CART?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 17:13 (Ref:382631)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Andretti won't even run a single car in CART?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 17:14 (Ref:382635)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I have no one to follow in CART next year.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:02 (Ref:382668)   #5
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to my cable TV supplier, I can no longer see CART races (live or highlights or anything).

Thanks to Dario and Tony (and before them Gil), I no longer have anyone to support in CART.

Why am I still on this forum anyway?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:24 (Ref:382685)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I don't believe this! Not Dario AND Tony! This one was a sucker-punch that I never even saw coming. I didn't think that either one of those drivers would switch leagues. Not for a minute. So now I guess we've got to wait until Mo Nunn makes some kind of announcement.

My day has been ruined, and it's only just begun.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:27 (Ref:382686)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, there is no bright side, but I am hoping that Mo stays in CART. Perhaps this could open the doors for a Moreno or Gidley?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:28 (Ref:382689)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't think Dario would go...
Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:44 (Ref:382695)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team of Audacious Brazilians is saddened to report the vanishing of the driver of its third car.

TAB will run the balance of the season with two cars and leave their third car to rust against the wall where it's vanished driver left it.

Old 17 Sep 2002, 18:52 (Ref:382702)   #10
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a blow! Champweb also reports that the Red bull and Panther racing teams will swap from IRL to CART next year. Just as long as the mediocre drivers don't come with them. I wouldn't mind seeing Hornish road racing except he's staying in IRL with Penske
Old 17 Sep 2002, 19:07 (Ref:382710)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's so damn silly about "silly season"?! I'm about to give myself a damn heart attack, getting blindsided by these announcements!

So Andretti is going to the IRL and still won't be able to hold onto the tobacco money from Kool? What's the hell's the point???

Dario, Dario... He must have felt his back was against the wall to make this deal with the devil.... :confused:

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 17 Sep 2002 at 19:09.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 19:29 (Ref:382722)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is sad indeed. From every quote I've read so far it sounds like Michael, Tony and Dario were handed a big huge sacks of cash for this deal. With the exception of Michael they make no mention at all of the IRL or wanting to race there. All of their quotes are about their relationship with Honda and the team.

I'm thinking Team Andretti is getting a huge sack of cash for X number of years to race in the IRL. Michael Andretti mentioned that this was a plan for 'the short term', which I take to mean 'as long as they're giving me these bags of cash'.

On the good side, Cart will still have 18 cars for next year, without the Andretti trio. I have to wonder if for Dario and Tony the extra yacht or helicopter will make up for having to drive in circles every Sunday...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Sep 2002, 19:53 (Ref:382744)   #13
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read my frickin' words.....From now on, I will be buying my beer at Circle K, my tools from Craftsman and my cellular phones from Nokia! My favorite driver in the entire world (in any series) is Dario Franchitti. I just bought a new Dario window sticker for my truck and will throw it in the trash when it arrives in the mail! I absolutely cannot believe this!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 19:55 (Ref:382747)   #14
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
Oh yeah, and my wife was notified last week that she can no longer shop at Target.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 20:00 (Ref:382749)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Also, here's a link to Dario's personal webpage: http://www.franchitti.com/Message/index.htm

There's also a Q&A section where he'll answer your questions. Or at least they'll get read by some people who have regular contact with him.

Also, if you're going to any of the final races of the year, be sure to let him know how you personally feel .

Last edited by Jay; 17 Sep 2002 at 20:00.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Sep 2002, 20:04 (Ref:382755)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Which brings me to another good thing about this series....the drivers have to look their fans in the eye...a lot. That's going to be very difficult for 3...well...2.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 20:17 (Ref:382772)   #17
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
Good point Jay. I have pit passes for Fontana and will oblige. I went to Laguna Seca, but didn't see Dario or Paul. I think they stay out of the way. Hope to catch him this time though.

I will be seeing Tagliani and Carpentier at a wedding after the season is over. If they are cool, I will change my alegiance to them.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 20:40 (Ref:382795)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Way to go Dario, turning your back on your principles. Bet your feeling big now eh, how much did they pay ya?

Can't believe this, I couldn't give two hoots about Andretti but Dario and Tony I'm disappointed with.

Shocked to say the least.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 20:52 (Ref:382802)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Princess Leia put it so well: "If money is all you care about, then that's all you'll receive."

Anyone who is going to one of the final races should carry a sign that says "DARIO AND TONY SHOULD BE ASHAMED." Or something like that.

[Actually if I were going I'd have one that said "Dario Crapwagon."]
Old 17 Sep 2002, 21:12 (Ref:382816)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
If I were going to be at the next few races I'd just walk right up to them and tell them what I thought to their faces... but signs are always good for the TV too!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 21:12 (Ref:382817)   #21
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
If I were going to be at the next few races I'd just walk right up to them and tell them what I thought to their faces... but signs are always good for the TV too!
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:04 (Ref:382921)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PINEAPPLE RACING DUMP TONY

Pineapple Racing have announced that they will dump Tony Kanaan for the remainder of the CART FedEx Series.

In a shock move, they have announced that they will also dump Honda and use highly tweaked Maserati turbo V8s.

Team owner, mac explained the decisions, "We always thought Tony was a bit .... well .... stupid. When he trashed our garage at Mid-Ohio, I thought, "this guys a freaking idiot". Plus, he made a pass at my girlfriend, wouldn't participate in the Tagliani prostitution plan and has just really ticked me off. He can take his big nose and get stuffed."

"As for Honda, they go for taking the spirit of motor racing and turning it into dollars. They also go for the putrid reasons they left the CART series - "we don't have the time or money to build a 3.5L naturally aspirated engine for 2003" - well what the **** are you doing now. You can **** off too."

Pineapple Racing would like to note that they are mighty ****ed off at Dario and hopes his car fails at every single one of the races left in the season.

Pineapple Racing can't wait for the Miami streetrace and another mega-huge crowd on an exciting new track, at an exciting new venue.

P. Dribbler
Chief Media Liason Officer
Pineapple Racing
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:05 (Ref:382923)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Dribbler and Pineapple Racing were on the money. Good call. And I agree with everything stated in that release.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:14 (Ref:382932)   #24
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe that Dario and Tony are leaving the series. They are both nice people and easy to talk to. I got Tony's autograph at the Denver race. Both are far too talented to be driving in circles.
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:41 (Ref:382945)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I assume that they've just taken the money and run. I just hope that at the end of the season they can all still walk...