Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Apr 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3728920)   #26
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll need to sift through them, but I'll post a few pics sometime later this week. Got to see Brain Johnson (in the flesh) but not speak to him. 64 Falcon Sprint was my favorite car on the weekend (never seen one in person on the track), but the one there was in great shape. Watching the Nissan GTP and the two Intrepids warm their engines for the Saturday race made my day.

Saturday was epically fantastic weather. Sunday? Well, got cool and very wet and I'd bet there were few folks left after lunch. We had to cut out early...for the best.

Good to see the gang I did get to see. Sorry I missed some others...
Old 24 Apr 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3728930)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Good that you got one fine weather day, and look forward to some pics- in your own time.....

Considering how many Falcon Sprints are racing in Europe, seems bizarre that you don't get to see them on your side of the pond! I guess one reason it's popular here because the car works well in FIA spec and it's those regs that most European Pre '66 series are run to.....
Old 24 Apr 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3728936)   #28
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Good that you got one fine weather day, and look forward to some pics- in your own time.....

Considering how many Falcon Sprints are racing in Europe, seems bizarre that you don't get to see them on your side of the pond! I guess one reason it's popular here because the car works well in FIA spec and it's those regs that most European Pre '66 series are run to.....
Funny enough, a Brit, Robin Ward, was the primary pilot and it seems this very car has been at Spa from a quick search.

Perhaps I've seen one in my past and just didn't know, but they just seem to be rare around here.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 13:36 (Ref:3729134)   #29
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Falcon Sprints are very rare here and most have been scrapped for Mustang projects. They are not a necessarily appreciated here either... I think because it's so much cheaper to build a Mustang instead.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3729147)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Falcon Sprints are very rare here and most have been scrapped for Mustang projects. They are not a necessarily appreciated here either... I think because it's so much cheaper to build a Mustang instead.
Yes, the parts availability for Mustang is incredible! I like the story behind the Falcon being homologated by Ford and Alan Mann Racing with all the trick parts. Makes it a bit special..... We also have a Mercury Comet Cyclone (same floorpan / chassis?) and a Fairline, as well as all the Falcons and Mustangs, racing in the UK. Plus Galaxies, of course! The Fairline was debuted after rebuild by Henry Mann, son of the late Alan, with Tom Kristensen at Goodwood in 2015, and it won. http://www.alanmann.co.uk/media/
Old 25 Apr 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3729176)   #31
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure if this will work, so bear with me... Let me know if you can see them or the video as they are linked directly to my Google brain. A few shots from the paddock on Saturday. I only took the camera out for a couple of sessions in T6. I will post those shortly.

Video link: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...RIuOaAhXyIF_sv
Old 25 Apr 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3729178)   #32
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Yes, the parts availability for Mustang is incredible! I like the story behind the Falcon being homologated by Ford and Alan Mann Racing with all the trick parts. Makes it a bit special..... We also have a Mercury Comet Cyclone (same floorpan / chassis?) and a Fairline, as well as all the Falcons and Mustangs, racing in the UK. Plus Galaxies, of course! The Fairline was debuted after rebuild by Henry Mann, son of the late Alan, with Tom Kristensen at Goodwood in 2015, and it won. http://www.alanmann.co.uk/media/
I'll have to read that article when I get home tonight! The Comet was originally the same car as the Falcon and then changed to the midsize Fairlane in the mid-60's. I haven't seen a Galaxie on the road in at least a decade! I most definitely have not seen one on track. Chevys (and even Mopars) are so much cheaper to build, that's mostly what we see.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3729184)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Not sure if this will work, so bear with me... Let me know if you can see them or the video as they are linked directly to my Google brain. A few shots from the paddock on Saturday. I only took the camera out for a couple of sessions in T6. I will post those shortly.
I haven't tried to look at video but the 3 pics are great. That Cortina is very cool......... Especially the side exit exhaust!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3729192)   #34
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I haven't tried to look at video but the 3 pics are great. That Cortina is very cool......... Especially the side exit exhaust!
That's the only Cortina I think I've ever seen. It's a sweet Holman-Moody car.

Old 26 Apr 2017, 00:38 (Ref:3729212)   #35
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
That Cortina is one of the nicest cars I've ever seen. And it may be hard to believe, but it sounds better than it looks

And the underside is as clean as the top.
Quote:
That's the only Cortina I think I've ever seen. It's a sweet Holman-Moody car.

The IMGs are broken on tapatalk but I know what it looks like
Old 26 Apr 2017, 06:02 (Ref:3729234)   #36
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Great that out of 3 pics- a Leyton House GpC Porsche, Ferrari P3 or P4, and a Mk1 Cortina, it's the last car that tugs the heart strings the most!

I'm guessing neither of the other two was racing, as they don't appear on the entry list?
Old 26 Apr 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3729295)   #37
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Great that out of 3 pics- a Leyton House GpC Porsche, Ferrari P3 or P4, and a Mk1 Cortina, it's the last car that tugs the heart strings the most!

I'm guessing neither of the other two was racing, as they don't appear on the entry list?
Leyton House ran Thurs in the 'test' day but as parade laps. It did sadly did not reappear the rest of the weekend. The Ferrari was not on track at all
Old 26 Apr 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3729386)   #38
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Here's a youtube link to that Corvette video we were watching at the track, fellas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM9-sPlScII
Old 26 Apr 2017, 22:55 (Ref:3729388)   #39
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Here's a youtube link to that Corvette video we were watching at the track, fellas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM9-sPlScII
I've been driving with the right hand at 2 o'clock all week because of this.

Me need fast car.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 22:57 (Ref:3729389)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

The Ferrari and 962 were nice, but the Cortina........
Old 27 Apr 2017, 05:34 (Ref:3729420)   #41
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Link to the HSR report on the meeting. Good to see a 356 and Triumph Spitfire pictured-

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1...55/0b53a96cf7/
Old 27 Apr 2017, 09:21 (Ref:3729441)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I looked at a V8 MK1 here some years back, quite subtly done, only problem there was no where to put your legs! I'll stick with my 4 pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
That Cortina is one of the nicest cars I've ever seen. And it may be hard to believe, but it sounds better than it looks

And the underside is as clean as the top.

The IMGs are broken on tapatalk but I know what it looks like
Attached Thumbnails
10536814_10152138987076883_7022450530844439971_o.jpg  
Old 27 Apr 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3729477)   #43
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Borderline if I'd fit in the Cortina but I know I'd fit in this ramp truck. People were snapping photos of the two Beetles on the left. I took one of the ramp truck

2006 LM class winner Corvette #64

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 27 Apr 2017 at 13:38.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3729505)   #44
Drafting Partne
Rookie

Drafting Partne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took 200 photos on Saturday (when it was Sunny). Let me know if you would like photos of a particular car. Chances are I have some.
Old 28 Apr 2017, 14:36 (Ref:3729671)   #45
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafting Partne View Post
I took 200 photos on Saturday (when it was Sunny). Let me know if you would like photos of a particular car. Chances are I have some.
Welcome!

I'm a fan of the Nissan GTP, the Cheetah and the little Tiger Coupe but feel free to share all that you want!

Old 29 Apr 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3729931)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah, a Cheetah, we've got one of those over here now, too.

Bit late to this party, but I agree that poster (in first post) is brilliant.

Any more photos?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 29 Apr 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3729946)   #47
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafting Partne View Post
Welcome! Please post whatever you like or even a gallery of your photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Ah, a Cheetah, we've got one of those over here now, too.

Bit late to this party, but I agree that poster (in first post) is brilliant.

Any more photos?
Except for all the Porsches of course, it's pretty epic.

I'll post some of my on track shots this weekend, John.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3729957)   #48
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the Cheetah testing at Brands Hatch twice over the winter and found it quite interesting- had never heard of it up until that point. Goodwood did a video of it from its second test day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidWaqU-fjo
Old 3 May 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3730771)   #49
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
I saw the Cheetah testing at Brands Hatch twice over the winter and found it quite interesting- had never heard of it up until that point. Goodwood did a video of it from its second test day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidWaqU-fjo
Yay for these guys saving and campaigning this beautiful machine. Booooo for noise reducers.

I may be getting into motor racing history instead of history racing today but I thought the Cheetahs stopped racing partly due to the homologation but mostly due to the factory catching fire and the loss cars and parts?

Missing from the little film there was the reason why these beauties came about and it was Chevrolet's attempt to go head-to-head with Ford and the Cobras. I love me some Cobras but the Cheetahs are some of the coolest cars ever. Meh, so are Cobras.

Thanks for posting that video fergus.