Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Mar 2016, 11:43 (Ref:3620534)   #26
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
reading rule 9.4.6 and 9.4.7 together,
does it state that the race starts at the end of the lap after the safety car pulls in? being THAT lap
As that would have been quite a few laps into the race in that case?
The SC rules also state that all laps led by the SC will be counted as race laps. Does seem to me that 9.4.7 could confuse someone who only ready that rule in isolation.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3620551)   #27
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
reading rule 9.4.6 and 9.4.7 together,
does it state that the race starts at the end of the lap after the safety car pulls in? being THAT lap
As that would have been quite a few laps into the race in that case?
Relevant rules section: Click me

I think the problem goes back to rules that are poorly written allowing different interpretations. After reading the rules for both normal and safety car starts, I think one issue is that the race was originally intended to start under normal conditions, and was switched to a safety car start after the completion of the formation lap. I can't see that situation covered by the rules ... and I could be wrong.

Firstly, under 9.1.10 or 9.2.9 (normal start), 25 out of 26 cars were correctly positioned to be considered under starter's orders - 21 on the grid and 4 at pit exit. This is 3-5 seconds before the actual race start.

Under normal conditions, the race is considered started when the red lights go out (9.1.11 or 9.2.10).

Cars starting at pit exit may start the race only on the direction of an Official, and after the rest of the field has passed the Pit Lane exit (9.1.14 or 9.2.13)

Surely this is what happened today, except under a safety car start.

However, under a safety car start, when said red lights go out, the cars are said to be under starters orders (9.4.3), so there is the start of the muddle.

As stated above, we then have the 9.4.7 and 9.4.7.1 rules. One literal interpretation of those 2 rules is that the 4 cars at pit exit prior to the safety car leaving on lap 1 is that those 4 cars should not have been under starter's orders until lap 6 ... ridiculous! And also not in keeping with the general intent of the starting from pit exit rules above.

Some simple rewording and re-positioning of the 9.4 set of rules would resolve it? Possibly along the lines of:

1) Change the wording in 9.4.3 so it says the race is started under full course yellow behind the safety car (instead of under starters orders).
2) Leave 9.4.4, 9.4.5 and 9.4.6 as is.
3) Reword 9.4.7 to say "The race will be move from FCY to green flag condition when the leading Car crosses the Control Line at the end of that lap."
4) Move and reword 9.4.7.1 to become 9.4.3.1 Cars starting from Pit Lane exit may enter the circuit only on the direction of an Official, and after the rest of the field has passed the Pit Lane exit.
And if required, add an extra timing point before 9.4.3 to differentiate cars coming under starter's orders, and the race starting under FCY.

Just my opinions, I'm not a lawyer nor an expert interpreter of legalese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
Schenken and co should do themselves a favour and review each rule and decide whether it adds to the sport. ?
Agreed!
Old 6 Mar 2016, 19:42 (Ref:3620603)   #28
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Heres something a bit dodgy, penalty is now 60 seconds not 30 seconds for fabian and pye. put them back 2 further spots, still thats really bad
Why was it 30, now 60? Does anyone know the rules? Shambles
Old 6 Mar 2016, 21:08 (Ref:3620663)   #29
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Word is tomorrow it will be a 1 minute 20 penalty.

What a mess.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 21:57 (Ref:3620681)   #30
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PLEASE HELP!!!! Where does one find the V8 Supercars rules and regulations on the web?

I seem to have looked everywhere?
Old 6 Mar 2016, 22:20 (Ref:3620686)   #31
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
PLEASE HELP!!!! Where does one find the V8 Supercars rules and regulations on the web?

I seem to have looked everywhere?
They're on the V8 website. Click on the "Championship" tab, then on "Rules & cars" and there you are.
Old 6 Mar 2016, 23:04 (Ref:3620692)   #32
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Why was it 30, now 60? Does anyone know the rules? Shambles
The whole thing was a bloody shambles.... VERY unprofessional looking.

It was a disaster right from the get-go with no-one even knowing if the race had started.

Also was Bargs asleep for those first part of the race? Why does some simple stuff need to be investigated post race.

Then it seemed that no-one knew the rules on the fuel dump thing, let alone the penalty. Personally I think its tough when a race is shortened.
Maybe 140 litre if the race goes full distance, needs to be done on a percentage scale. (70 litres if the race is called at 50%, 105L @ 75% etc etc)

The commentators either need to know the rules or shut up and as for changing the penalty after the event.... FFS what an amateur operation!

I really expected more from such a big & supposedly professional outfit.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 02:13 (Ref:3620722)   #33
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the fuel dump rules apply to all the races this year or just the longer races?

I also assume this isn't a rule in the ops manual, but a supplemental reg for the relevant race?
Old 7 Mar 2016, 02:40 (Ref:3620727)   #34
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Perhaps Tim Schenken & Holden Bargs and all the other officials could take a leaf out of the NRL with its new Bunker, it has being given great praise after 1 round.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 7 Mar 2016, 02:43 (Ref:3620729)   #35
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
Does the fuel dump rules apply to all the races this year or just the longer races?

I also assume this isn't a rule in the ops manual, but a supplemental reg for the relevant race?
relates to certain races

Operations Manual

However, during the Sunday race at the Clipsal 500 Adelaide, the Skycity Triple Crown Darwin and all SuperSprint events, as well as both races at the Castrol EDGE Townsville 400 and Coates Hire Sydney 500, a minimum quantity fuel drop exists. This means that for the specified race, all cars will need to deliver the correct amount of fuel during pit stops. Please see following table for further detail.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 02:47 (Ref:3620730)   #36
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I just watched a replay of the start again

Watched the lap counter in the coverage click over to lap 4, then about 30 seconds later it flicked to lap 5

My understanding is that originally a lap wasnt being counted under the first lap under the safety car (ie warm up lap), the timing started on the 2nd lap under safety car as Lap 1 of the race and then on the 5th lap under safety car they changed the timing from lap 4 of the race to lap 5 of the race
Old 7 Mar 2016, 03:00 (Ref:3620735)   #37
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
They're on the V8 website. Click on the "Championship" tab, then on "Rules & cars" and there you are.
Thanks for the advice, I never would have found.

I've gone thru their 2016 Operations Manual from Div A to Div F and can't seem to find any mention of the penalty for not loading 140L of fuel.

Can anyone please help?

Also why was the penalty changed from 30 seconds to 60 seconds in the middle of the night.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 03:22 (Ref:3620740)   #38
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

I've gone thru their 2016 Operations Manual from Div A to Div F and can't seem to find any mention of the penalty for not loading 140L of fuel.

Can anyone please help?

Also why was the penalty changed from 30 seconds to 60 seconds in the middle of the night.
you need the table of penalties to determine that, I dont believe they are in the operations manual or maybe even the international sporting code of the FIA

as per definitions in Division A
Old 7 Mar 2016, 03:49 (Ref:3620748)   #39
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
you need the table of penalties to determine that, I dont believe they are in the operations manual or maybe even the international sporting code of the FIA

as per definitions in Division A
What a Mickey Mouse organisation. So the penalties are a SECRET.

No wonder Pye and Coulthard were confused at the end of the race. Imagine Tim Cendric ringing back to Roger Penske that we really cam second and third but now they have some secret penalty they have made up which drops us way down the field.

And what of the viewing public perception. There was poor Crompton on live TV trying to find penalties that aren't in the book. You could hear his great frustration clearly as he made several attempts.

And as I said above if it is all so clear why was it changed from 30 seconds to 60 seconds overnight?
Old 7 Mar 2016, 04:02 (Ref:3620755)   #40
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:

No wonder Pye and Coulthard were confused at the end of the race. Imagine Tim Cendric ringing back to Roger Penske that we really cam second and third but now they have some secret penalty they have made up which drops us way down the field.

And what of the viewing public perception. There was poor Crompton on live TV trying to find penalties that aren't in the book. You could hear his great frustration clearly as he made several attempts.

And as I said above if it is all so clear why was it changed from 30 seconds to 60 seconds overnight?
I don't believe that the penalties are a total secret - the teams are exposed to them and the penalties themselves are set before each season by the Commission, which has team reps on it.

The stewards have a range of penalties available to them and apply the penalties depending on the circumstances - some are straightforward (such as pit lane speeding) some more involved.

Where it falls down is when (as in this case) a commentator is trying to make a live call during a race on what penalty might be applied. That might be in regard to on track incidents, pit lane breaches etc.

Clearly the results at the conclusion of the race had some penalties applied by the stewards - those results immediately after the race are never final and are subject to protests, further stewards hearings etc.

Clearly after further investigation by the stewards the decision was taken that a penalty of 60 seconds was the go for those that didn't fuel.

It's all due process but jeez it's not a good look - made worse by the commentators having NFI in regard to a number of rules through the race, clearly not getting good advice from their assistants and the wide range of confusion that often comes with severe weather conditions such as those seen on Sunday.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 04:05 (Ref:3620756)   #41
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

No one said it was a secret, its just not in the operations manual.

it was changed because the stewards found that the penalty was not significant enough, Not the first time this has happened, wont be the last, Stewards are always able to look at penalties post race

This happens all through the legal structure of Australia
Old 7 Mar 2016, 04:10 (Ref:3620757)   #42
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:

Can anyone please help?

All good. The ops manual has been on the V8 website for years, interestingly they used to also have sup regs for each event there but they've stopped doing that for some reason.

The applicable penalties might be in the sup regs.

In regard to the change of penalty after the race (not the middle of the night) please see my post above.

Gotta say that it was a messy Sunday at Clipsal, no doubt about it.

In my view it is made worse by the powers that be getting too cute on the time certain cutoff - it seems to only take a small delay or SC period to move a race into time certain status and to me that is just wrong. It time certain was based on an extra half hour over expected completion, that would probably make more sense.

To me, the 140 litre requirement has always been something of a problem - if some engines aren't competitive on fuel consumption, then they need to adjust their engines and strategy accordingly.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 04:56 (Ref:3620764)   #43
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Perhaps Tim Schenken & Holden Bargs and all the other officials could take a leaf out of the NRL with its new Bunker, it has being given great praise after 1 round.
Put Schenken and Bargwanna in the bunker then lock the doors and cut off all communications.Schenken has a history of bringing out the safety car for entertainment value and Bargwanna should have been made to walk the plank after Van Gisbergen taking out Reynolds last year.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 05:02 (Ref:3620765)   #44
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My understanding is that originally a lap wasnt being counted under the first lap under the safety car (ie warm up lap), the timing started on the 2nd lap under safety car as Lap 1 of the race and then on the 5th lap under safety car they changed the timing from lap 4 of the race to lap 5 of the race
See it's so simple, why couldn't the average punter 5 beers deep at home work that out???
Old 7 Mar 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3620790)   #45
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
See it's so simple, why couldn't the average punter 5 beers deep at home work that out???
Of course they should be able.

Bill Tuckey would often write the Motorsport was the most misunderstood sport and sadly on Sunday we saw why.

I have never seen compulsory pit stops add anything of value to any part of the sport.

Set a race distance and let the teams manage how they get there.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 07:46 (Ref:3620794)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Look i agree that they messed up the start according to the rules. I said that in the clipsal thread at the time and as soon as it started to my son. They need to go over this procedure and get this right next time. Naughty them.

But it was clear to all that the race had started under safety car. just some teams wanted to argue about it and others dealt with it

But that was the only issue.

140 litres in is the rules, everyone knew it, was well explained, some teams dealt with it better than others. Should we have that rule, Would prefer not to, but it has a purpose (although is the purpose still relevant (needs investigation)) But to have some halfarsed variations that may or may not affect the race is not the answer. That just makes things worse.

It was right to start the race under SC (it sucks, but it was right), it was right to call it out again when they did, it was right to have a red flag, it was right to re-start when they did. No-one likes timed finishes, but they are a necessary evil. They got the call right in my opinion with SVG, but im 60:40 on it. (incidents like that are always grey)

Did i mention that triple 8 messed up and LDM showed they understood the rules better (the richman and the pauper)
Old 7 Mar 2016, 08:03 (Ref:3620798)   #47
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching the race (recorded, had a prior engagement), mulling it over for 24 hours, and reading a lot of comments and articles, I think everything was probably handled as well as it could be.
The only thing that needs to change, in my very humble opinion, is the time certain finish.
Why not start EVERY race with at least an hour extra at the end of the expected finish? The production team are more than capable of filling hours upon hours over the weekend with waffle, so why not build in a buffer around the most important part of the weekend?
Ratings blah blah, any business person knows that repeat business if the best business. Keep the customers happy and they'll come back for more. Even if it hurts you a little in the short term.
If that race hadn't been time certain, all other arguments, apart from maybe SVG v JC, would never have been brought up.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 08:18 (Ref:3620803)   #48
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
After watching the race (recorded, had a prior engagement), mulling it over for 24 hours, and reading a lot of comments and articles, I think everything was probably handled as well as it could be.
The only thing that needs to change, in my very humble opinion, is the time certain finish.
Why not start EVERY race with at least an hour extra at the end of the expected finish? The production team are more than capable of filling hours upon hours over the weekend with waffle, so why not build in a buffer around the most important part of the weekend?
Ratings blah blah, any business person knows that repeat business if the best business. Keep the customers happy and they'll come back for more. Even if it hurts you a little in the short term.
If that race hadn't been time certain, all other arguments, apart from maybe SVG v JC, would never have been brought up.
I'm with you - I think that they've got far, far too cute with the gap between estimated finish time in dry conditions and the time certain finish time. It should be at least half an hour but an hour as you suggest wouldn't go astray. They've made it worse by starting races later which puts more pressure in the telecaster before their evening news.

If time-certain didn't come into play, the rest of the "issues" would have been non-issues. Mind you, I'm still not a fan of the whole compulsory fuel amount.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 08:53 (Ref:3620815)   #49
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
It's a rare occurence that something like yesterday happens. The ratings are (it would seem) better if you run the races as close to 6pm as possible (although i don't know if that works as well with the current TV deal, given that neither network has a 6pm news service)
Old 3 Apr 2016, 10:42 (Ref:3629812)   #50
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Race control throws a yellow flag for a broken mirror on the track but doesn't throw the yellow for multiple cars parked at the end of a 200 kmh straight with oil on the track.

So is a finish under green flag conditions is more important than safety?