Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Sep 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3452645)   #176
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Even just looking at the 'Mustang' race there appears to be a lot of drivers that havn't raced (much / at all??) this year Must be nice to get an entry at the top events without having to having to 'slum' it at the normal events.
I must admit to having once being guilty of assuming that because I owned and raced a historic car, I had just as much right to race at Goodwood as anyone else......unless you are a celebrity (whatever this week's definition of one of those is?) or a professional driver, it's only right that one has to work an "apprenticeship" and bide one's time.......trouble is, mine is running out faster and faster with every year
Old 12 Sep 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3452647)   #177
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Spent afternoon at Goodwood and have to say it is the best of all the Historic Meetings and provides brilliant entertainment .

Can't understand the make up of some of the races .

As an example no 356 Porsche in early 60's GT race .Wonder how many 911's raced there in period!

Notwithstanding that Andrew Smith in 911 was superb and showed the difference between an average historic driver and a proper driver

Not Always been a fan but it is brill.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3452653)   #178
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spent some time watching the qualification on the live feed this afternoon and currently watching this evening's Sussex Trophy race - just superb (both racing and coverage).
Old 12 Sep 2014, 18:10 (Ref:3452658)   #179
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Sussex trophy race is a cracker. Most spectators still here enjoying the race, I suspect the car park won't be fun later.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 18:12 (Ref:3452660)   #180
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Got to feel for Roberto Giordanelli in the Lister, it certainly wont be at Spa next week but at least he looked OK when he got out.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 19:46 (Ref:3452676)   #181
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What's wrong with the race names?

They are the Historic Races when it was BARC organised circuit before they all vanished to Thruxton.

Many normal club racers are included in list.So not that exclusive!

What about Joe,Brian,Mike and the gang?

The whole idea is to have a balanced programme for the punters and no more than that.

How does that TR4 go so quickly?

Forgot to say the planes were great.Hadn't seen a Canberra for years but I do remember Lincoln's and Lancaster's flying over the house when I was a young lad.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3452680)   #182
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see you enjoying yourself John! Agree Andrew Smith's lap time in Fordwater quali is impressive - great to see an early 911 being driven well
Old 12 Sep 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3452706)   #183
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dispite a large part of the crowd staying to the end of the Sussex Trophy the car park was fine and I made it home in just under two hours.
Saw and photographed lots of nice cars today, only slight disappointment was that the TT cars didn't appear on track today. That said the rest of the grids were to the usual Goodwood standard.
The weather was great, the air displays were the best I've seen and the crowd around Madgwick were in good form

Thanks to the marshals for their efforts, as it was a long day for them. I'm glad the driver of the A35 who rolled on the exit of Madgwick was able to get out unaided as it looked scary.

I will be following the races online tomorrow while sorting through far too many photos.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3452865)   #184
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not all feeds work in NZ! Just watched the ERAs/Maseratis etc. and looked as though three or four cars had problems - and a safety car. Watched via the Goodwood site as the link posted earlier on this thread didn't work. This one did.

http://grrc.goodwood.com/goodwood-re...-social-stream
Old 13 Sep 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3452956)   #185
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Take it the bloke who was second in Can Am race will have his card marked for the crazy passing incident to get second place . If he didn't know Win Percy he should now.

RW great drive in V8 Saloon race .Very unlucky in pits

Great watching on link and Marcus P doing a great job

Highlight,bike race,the smack on the bum when Troy passing his mate and other bloke grabbing his mates brake when alongside each other.

Great entertainment.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3452972)   #186
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Take it the bloke who was second in Can Am race will have his card marked for the crazy passing incident to get second place . If he didn't know Win Percy he should now.

RW great drive in V8 Saloon race .Very unlucky in pits

Great watching on link and Marcus P doing a great job

Highlight,bike race,the smack on the bum when Troy passing his mate and other bloke grabbing his mates brake when alongside each other.

Great entertainment.
Seems like something happened John.

http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=club&...&tabletype=gif
Old 13 Sep 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3452977)   #187
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite right too. I watched a fair bit this afternoon on the feed via PH. Extremely enjoyable. I really must get there one of these days!
Old 13 Sep 2014, 18:47 (Ref:3452979)   #188
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Seems like something happened John.
Yes, 10-second penalty, bet that took the spark out of his a Goodwood cigar!
Old 13 Sep 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3453002)   #189
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The ultimate penalty is the loss of an invitation for next year.

Goodwood with Wynn Percy have organised a great way to referee the racing.

Pity other people did it.

RW unlucky with pit stop.

Great drive in first half of race and his mate had a classy interview
Old 14 Sep 2014, 09:58 (Ref:3453175)   #190
brands
Veteran

Photo processing is slow going in between watching the streamed races.
Some shots from the Sussex Trophy, qualifying and the race:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0108.jpg   IMG_0150.jpg   IMG_0272.jpg  

IMG_2400.jpg   IMG_2404.jpg   IMG_2480.jpg  

Old 14 Sep 2014, 10:20 (Ref:3453180)   #191
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm watching the live streaming although it keeps freezing. Great to see so many 10 -Tenthers out there, albeit with mixed fortunes. Mike retired in 'Gilbert' and Joe lost a wheel in the Tornado. Didn't see Simon D in Sabre 6 after the warm up and Brian had a good result in the Elite but what was going on between him and David Clark?

Great drive by Roger in the Lotus 16 especially since it did not have the full 2.5 engine but Julian Bronson was very unlucky. Didn't see Simon H start in Wolfgang Friedrichs DBR4.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 14 Sep 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3453227)   #192
brands
Veteran

A batch from the Goodwood Trophy qualifying:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0332.jpg   IMG_0339.jpg   IMG_0362.jpg  

IMG_0367.jpg   IMG_0437.jpg   IMG_0440.jpg  

Old 14 Sep 2014, 13:20 (Ref:3453234)   #193
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Clever stuff!

Kids organised Apple TV direct You Tube 42 inch.

No problems.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3453271)   #194
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Left the toys behind and came home. knackered. will retrieve in the morning. TOo busy to contemplate now.

Possibly the first race meeting ever were I think I managed to meet and greet just about everyone. A pleasure.

TT went well, still needs improvement in front suspension set up and braking to give more confidence, and really needs bigger tyres, I was tootling along quite happily until the nearside rear drive shaft sheared clean off well inside the taper and split pin etc. Ho Hum, no real harm done. Just glad HOlly Mason was well clear of it all . . . we would both have had that Ferrari. It got past me as I made a mistake. It wasn't very impressive.

Tails half up, good start, baulked by 911's, which were ultimately 1s faster and meant the B's and GIlbert got past early on, but I kept them keen and the B was always going to expire judging by the crap coming out of it making me squirm in its wake.

Congrats to Lee in the G4, nice little engine in there

Darren Turner is a really nice bloke, restored some faith in 'pro' drivers

THanks to Mike for the loan of the tracking gauges.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3453308)   #195
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain and I were admiring the way you managed to get the errant Tornado off the circuit safely Zef. I was expecting Goodwood to be a lot of hassle, having been told how much busier it's got since I last went about five years ago. I was pleasantly surprised - all the staff I encountered were very good-humoured and gave the impression that they were having a good time as well.

Most exciting moment of the weekend for me was taking cover behind the pit wall whilst a wheel and half shaft were bouncing erratically on the circuit. Fortunately, the assembly landed safely on the grass.

A couple of days to recover and then it's off to Belgium...
Old 14 Sep 2014, 20:21 (Ref:3453325)   #196
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I'm watching the live streaming although it keeps freezing.
For me, the streaming was absolutely superb. HD all the way, no freezes or go slows at all. Been enjoying some of the highlights that I missed this evening.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3453338)   #197
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The streaming for me is a bit "iffy" as we are the last house in the village on the end of copper wires that have been there from the prehistoric era !
at least it does work on the smart tv so I can see it (most of the time) on the big screen.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Sep 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3453469)   #198
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Wow, what a last 5 days! I was completely ******ed by last night, not helped by getting a cold over the weekend! Gave up trying to get car back to truck last night and went into Chichester for a pizza.....

Gilbert's 'big adventure' turned out to be even bigger than I ever imagined. Besides the racing, there were interviews with a couple of Classic mags, and to cap it all- if you go to the Revival website- my car is featured on the front page this morning!

The GT history display boards behind Gilbert also gleaned interesting info from the public, including that the 1965 Chevvy V8 engined car is still around and in the hands of a race mechanic. (Who was with Julian Bronson and his Scarab over the w/end.)

OK, we retired from the race, but it almost didn't matter. After I stopped just past pits and climbed the bank, the rest of the race consisted of chatting to the marshals and watching the big screen- in gorgeous sunshine.

Just off back to the circuit to (hopefully) finish loading and start off for Spa, collecting another car on the way. Two days to sort the suspected intermittent fuel starvation problem. It was that that caused me to decide discretion was better than valour, get out of the way and keep everyone safe on track with me. Fingers crossed!

And the right man won the Fordwater. Allan is a proper historic racer with a car prepared and set up by one of the best TR blokes out there. He drives it superbly, and I couldn't have been more pleased to see him take the chequered flag in first place!

Old 15 Sep 2014, 08:18 (Ref:3453490)   #199
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Revival Fordwater

Arrived home at midnight absolutely cream crackered but happy. Got out of the circuit quite well at 2030- and straight back to Suffolk.
Fantastic weekend, like Joe we saw many people we knew and lots of Peerless/Warwick friends came to see us.
Hats off to the team next to us in the Alpine. After Michael Peet loaned them one of his engines as theirs was broken, they worked through Saturday into the night and Sunday first thing to get the car ready for the race. I am sure that they won't mind my saying that the gentlemen who did that weren't in the first flush of youth so well done!
Ian had a good race in the Warwick, finishing 12th which we were very pleased with. Quite satisfying after changing two exhaust gaskets on Thursday ( car blowing loading up Weds) and spending most of Saturday trying to sort the gearbox out which refused to stay/go into second and in qualifying regularly having a box full of neutrals when it wouldn't go into third or top! It did that twice in the race, once letting Elite of Robin Ellis and Jo Bamfords' MGB through. Hey ho thats' racing. At least he finished' poor Joe and Mike had to watch from the side-lines. I agree entirely with Mike, great to see Allan win in the TR4, he is a super driver and the car went well and looked superb.
Lancasters, wow what an honour to see them, unforgettable. Along with all the other WW2 planes. Did anyone see the P51 fly away with a Spitfire escort when one of its' undercarriage wheels came down after taking off? He put the other one down but I hope they both stayed locked when he eventually did land.
Off to Angouleme on Friday, not racing but supporting three racers.
Good luck to Mike at Spa.
Thoroughly enjoyable weekend and many, many thanks to Brian Arculus for pointing us in the right direction all the time and Joe for saving us a place in the camping area. So good to have ten tenthers to lend us a hand!
Old 15 Sep 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3453529)   #200
h4887
Rookie

England
Braintree,Essex
h4887 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, Celia, glad it all went (quite) well!