Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Nov 2017, 05:58 (Ref:3780337)   #1
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Formula One Sliding Doors

Thought I'd start up a bit of a fun thread here - based on RBR's news that they offered Alonso a deal for the 2009/10 season.

Current Scenario:
Alonso stays with Renault in 2009 - joins Ferrari in 2010, it is currently 2017 and Alonso is still a two-time WDC and has yet to add to the success of 2005/06.

Sliding Doors:
Alonso signs for Red Bull for the 2009 and 2010 season.
This move sees Mark Webber move to Renault
Jenson Button holds on for the 2009 title from Fernando Alonso and an impressive Sebastian Vettel, going all the way to the final race in Abu Dhabi.

Benefitting from the strong 2010 Red Bull, Alonso, despite some inter-team angst, wins the title, losing it to Vettel in 2011 but bouncing back in 2012/13 to become just the third ever five-time WDC, retiring from the sport at the end of the 2013 season.

The pre-2010 driver market sees a "retiring" Kimi Raikkonen leave Ferrari, with Robert Kubica moving to Ferrari, and never trying his hand at rallying. Kubica pushes Vettel and Alonso all the way in 2012 for Ferrari.

---

This is just one I cooked up - get creative, what other moments could have seen big different scenarios (Schumacher going to McLaren, Button going to Williams, Hamilton staying at McLaren...etc etc)
Old 14 Nov 2017, 09:16 (Ref:3780357)   #2
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I've got a headache!
Old 14 Nov 2017, 12:50 (Ref:3780376)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
maybe someone has too much time on their hands...
Old 14 Nov 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3780380)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1980. Jim Tyler wins big time on the Pools. Talented son Max gets the break into F3 he so richly deserved and five seasons later is picked up by Williams, beating Nigel Mansell to the Championship by several years.

As you say, sliding doors.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Nov 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3780383)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
1980. Jim Tyler wins big time on the Pools. Talented son Max gets the break into F3 he so richly deserved and five seasons later is picked up by Williams, beating Nigel Mansell to the Championship by several years.

As you say, sliding doors.

Sorry MM, I read this and thought "I know that name from somewhere". It was only on my second read that my eyes fell to your signature!
Old 14 Nov 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3780406)   #6
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I had to google the "sliding doors" idiom.

Richard
Old 15 Nov 2017, 08:08 (Ref:3780524)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If the sliding doors had opened maybe my screen name would be "Williamsman" :ROFL:

And if my aunty had ***** she'd be my uncle. None of this happened, and my mind never dwells on "what it's".

Old 15 Nov 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3780543)   #8
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Old 15 Nov 2017, 12:55 (Ref:3780554)   #9
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2016 Liberty Media goes online.
2025 Liberty turns F1 into a virtual reality computer game to save costs. Lewis Hamilton leads the resistance.
2026 Liberty send a killer robot back to 1984 to kill Lewis' mother. Lewis is never born, Alonso gets his titles.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3780575)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
This advice was posted by someone in another thread recently - ' If you don't feel you can contribute to the discussion, then please save the immature comments and bullsh*t for your school friends.' - which seems quite applicable here.

The Sliding Doors scenario opens up infinite trains of thought for F1, and could give everything from the sublime to the ridiculous.
I like to wonder if things may have turned out different if Honda had decided to stick it out for another season instead of selling to Brawn GP. Would they have continued development with Button in the seat, and we would see Button as a 4/5 time WDC.
I guess he would then face criticism for living outside the UK, having a superior car, having a privileged upbringing and not being like the good old drivers of yesteryear?
Old 15 Nov 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3780583)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fun idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
This move sees Mark Webber move to Renault
classic but too good to be true!

Flav, recently kicked out of the sport, would not have let Webber sign with a Renault team that he was just forced to leave.

Flav being Flav, also meant he would have not wanted two of his clients/drivers on the same team (unless that other driver was named Trulli) so RB would have kept SV to pair with Alonso.

so RB, knowing they were getting Alonso for 2010 would not have objected to Schumi's special test in 2009 to replace Massa and if Schumi had finished out the 2009 season then he would have been retained by Ferrari for 2010.

thus, mainly because Webber to Renault would have been too good to be true then Webber would have slotted into the higher paying Merc seat!

Flav of course would win out again in the end by securing another ridiculously large and unwarranted contract for Trulli as his parting shot to Renault/Lotus!

and once again Flav cheats us of the Webber to Renault dream!

Old 15 Nov 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3780595)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
2025 Liberty turns F1 into a virtual reality computer game to save costs. Lewis Hamilton leads the resistance.
2026 Liberty send a killer robot back to 1984 to kill Lewis' mother. Lewis is never born, Alonso gets his titles.

i think there is a great movie idea in there somewhere!
Old 15 Nov 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3780613)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've got one adjustment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
2026 alonso sends a killer robot back to 1984 to kill Lewis' mother. Lewis is never born, Alonso gets his titles.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3780620)   #14
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I had to google the "sliding doors" idiom.

Richard
Did you find an answer? Because I didn't!
Old 15 Nov 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3780627)   #15
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It's painful but here's your Gwyneth moment.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 23:46 (Ref:3780653)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

It was actually a reasonable film. I enjoyed it anyway, harmless bit of fluff to while away the hours. Much like this thread
Old 16 Nov 2017, 00:07 (Ref:3780654)   #17
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
You knew this off the top of your head? That's facinating. I had no idea the big guy was into chick flicks.

And, ohh, it means crossroads. Got it!
Old 16 Nov 2017, 00:38 (Ref:3780658)   #18
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Well... I assume it is a UK (or European) specific idiom. I have never heard of it here in the US. I believe the idea is that if you reach some type of crossroads in your life (here in the US, we would say "fork in the road") and you can go one way or another. The choice might even seem inconsequential at that time, but might have a large impact that is only knowable when looking back upon it.

Somehow I assume the sliding door part is that you pick one door vs. another. Or maybe it really is from that Gwyneth Paltrow movie.

Richard
Old 16 Nov 2017, 00:52 (Ref:3780659)   #19
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Well... I assume it is a UK (or European) specific idiom. I have never heard of it here in the US. I believe the idea is that if you reach some type of crossroads in your life (here in the US, we would say "fork in the road") and you can go one way or another. The choice might even seem inconsequential at that time, but might have a large impact that is only knowable when looking back upon it.

Somehow I assume the sliding door part is that you pick one door vs. another. Or maybe it really is from that Gwyneth Paltrow movie.

Richard
I have never heard the expression once before. It definitely is not commonly used. It must be from the movie.
It is interesting to watch the chick flick fans "coming out" though.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 02:44 (Ref:3780666)   #20
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This advice was posted by someone in another thread recently - ' If you don't feel you can contribute to the discussion, then please save the immature comments and bullsh*t for your school friends.' - which seems quite applicable here.
Unfortunately this particular user cannot fathom that you can actually have a bit of light-hearted fun on this forum that doesn't involve hating on another driver.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 02:48 (Ref:3780667)   #21
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
fun idea!

classic but too good to be true!

Flav, recently kicked out of the sport, would not have let Webber sign with a Renault team that he was just forced to leave.

Flav being Flav, also meant he would have not wanted two of his clients/drivers on the same team (unless that other driver was named Trulli) so RB would have kept SV to pair with Alonso.

so RB, knowing they were getting Alonso for 2010 would not have objected to Schumi's special test in 2009 to replace Massa and if Schumi had finished out the 2009 season then he would have been retained by Ferrari for 2010.

thus, mainly because Webber to Renault would have been too good to be true then Webber would have slotted into the higher paying Merc seat!

Flav of course would win out again in the end by securing another ridiculously large and unwarranted contract for Trulli as his parting shot to Renault/Lotus!

and once again Flav cheats us of the Webber to Renault dream!

Fair point, then maybe Webber moves to Mercedes in 2010 instead of Schumacher, taking MSC's credit for helping to build Mercedes into the world beaters they are today!
Old 16 Nov 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3780740)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
My god these things are real pub anoraky stuff. Love it!

My take starting in 2003....
Montoya wins the 03 title despite Ferrari whinging about tyres and decides to stay at Williams instead of signing for McLaren...

Williams decide not to develop a walrus nose and stick with developing the fw25 base concept further and Montoya again challenges for the 04 title but cannot halt the Ferrari.

DC gets a stay of execution at McLaren until the end of '05 before Hamilton gets signed alongside Kimi who rejects an offer from Ferrari because.... McLaren erase reliability issues of the MP4/20 which goes onto blitz the field 1-2 in 2006

Kubica has signed to replace the retiring Schumacher alongside Massa and runs the McLaren's close in a great season long scrap for 3rd with JPM.

Vettel is promoted to Williams BMW alongside Montoya in 2007 who make another enormous effort with engines to get back to the front....

At the end of 2008, Honda streamline their operations and decide to support the more cost effective Super Aguri effort with it's strange and interesting 'double diffuser' concept.... This leads to an amazing 2009 season....with Button and Davidson finishing 1-2 in the title race.

Also in '09 Brendon Hartley moves up from Toro Rosso to partner Webber at Red Bull going on to win his first title in 2011. Webber then retires and in comes Alonso after Renault decide to pull the plug....
Old 16 Nov 2017, 16:27 (Ref:3780777)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
At the end of 2008, Honda streamline their operations and decide to support the more cost effective Super Aguri effort with it's strange and interesting 'double diffuser' concept.... This leads to an amazing 2009 season....with Button and Davidson finishing 1-2 in the title race.
Love that!
Old 16 Nov 2017, 16:44 (Ref:3780780)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is more fantasy in this thread than all the fantasy competitions on 10th s put together.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 22:27 (Ref:3780859)   #25
Skam85
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
My god these things are real pub anoraky stuff. Love it!

My take starting in 2003....
Montoya wins the 03 title despite Ferrari whinging about tyres and decides to stay at Williams instead of signing for McLaren...

Williams decide not to develop a walrus nose and stick with developing the fw25 base concept further and Montoya again challenges for the 04 title but cannot halt the Ferrari.

DC gets a stay of execution at McLaren until the end of '05 before Hamilton gets signed alongside Kimi who rejects an offer from Ferrari because.... McLaren erase reliability issues of the MP4/20 which goes onto blitz the field 1-2 in 2006

Kubica has signed to replace the retiring Schumacher alongside Massa and runs the McLaren's close in a great season long scrap for 3rd with JPM.

Vettel is promoted to Williams BMW alongside Montoya in 2007 who make another enormous effort with engines to get back to the front....

Also in '09 Brendon Hartley moves up from Toro Rosso to partner Webber at Red Bull going on to win his first title in 2011. Webber then retires and in comes Alonso after Renault decide to pull the plug....
Love it! The 2003 season was filled with so many 'what if' moments. Fantastic season.