Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Mar 2012, 13:47 (Ref:3038307)   #1
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Air bags v. Thin pillars

I'm getting on a bit now, and I'm a little bit stiff when I turn my head. It happens to us all in time.

I have noticed that when I parallel-park I have real problems being able to see what I'm doing, and have to rely on the door mirrors. That shouldn't be a difficulty to any reasonably competent driver, but that's hardly the point.

Looking over my left shoulder :-
The driver's head restraint completely blocks the rear window
The passenger's head restraint blocks about a third of the rear nearside window
The C-pillar blocks the bit in between

The frustrating bit is that it's all in the name of safety - I know that I can remove the head restraints, but it's the airbag factor which is now so important to manufacturers. Only the number of cup-holders seems to be a more saleable feature in the brochure. The C-pillar on my Golf must be about 1.5 feet thick.

"Back in the day", before all the paranoia, you could actually see all around you whilst driving because of the thin pillars and thus excellent visibility. I'm not anti-safety, but can't there be a happy medium? I've been in many minor accidents, and one or two major ones, but I've never needed an airbag yet. (My daughter hit black ice once, clipped the verge and barrel-rolled twice into a field - not one of the airbags on her Yaris operated).

To be honest, given the choice, I'd rather buy a car I could see out of than one with umpteen airbags I'll probably never need. Who else has to peer forward at junctions to see what's coming?

I just know at this point you'll all be ready with stories about people you know who had lives saved etc.! Out of curiosity, what would you rather have - more glass or more bags?
Old 11 Mar 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3038343)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I agree, I drive all sorts of vehicles every day and it seems that it's not only the safety factor aspect that has done it with blind spots caused by very thick A posts but also "fashion".
As for some of the sports supercars they are almost impossible to see out of when reversing, but then I suppose you just get your butler to park it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Mar 2012, 16:07 (Ref:3038344)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thicker pillars also contribute to better roll-over protection. If it is a problem perhaps think about a rear view camera. (Or Land rover bumpers )

Regards

Jim
Old 11 Mar 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3038374)   #4
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Thicker pillars also contribute to better roll-over protection. If it is a problem perhaps think about a rear view camera. (Or Land rover bumpers )

Regards

Jim

Point taken,but I don't intend to roll unless I have to! I just feel that the whole "elf & safety" thing is being taken to extremes. We're not being given a choice.

I don't do technology - sat navs remain unused . It's a lot quicker to look on a map. Maybe it's all just pressure from Governments on the manufacturers, trying to reduce NHS bills. They'll be insisting we wear crash helmets to the shops before long.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 04:10 (Ref:3038620)   #5
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post

Regards

Jim
...and chassis stiffness when keeping the shiny side up.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3038791)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's a fair point, particularly if you prefer hatchbacks. i guess the c-pillar is the one at the back where the boot is? in which case i find that depending on the car, the mirror solves that blind spot, it just needs setting up carefully.

for parking, my most recent 2 cars have had rear parking sensors (audio beepy ones, not the fancy telly dashboard display) which really helped with visibility when parking. i'd definitely recommend trying to pick up your next car with those.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3041669)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
The C-pillar on my Golf must be about 1.5 feet thick......
There is, of course, a very simple solution......
Attached Thumbnails
2011-Volkswagen-Golf-Convertible-3-e1298459650682.jpg  
Old 16 Mar 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3042171)   #8
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
mmm.... must just get my medallion and chest-wig!
Old 26 Mar 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3048550)   #9
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Just seen a statistic in today's paper:-

2000 fatalities in UK last year froom road/rail accidents
3000 fatalities in UK last year from "falls"

I know there may have been more deaths on the road if air-bags had not been fitted, but all the same!

Talk about nanny states - we're not allowed to think for ourselves any more. I expect to be asked to complete a risk-assessment form next time I cross the road, or perhaps wear a crash-helmet on the bus just in case it hits a low bridge.

Get rid of these airbags,please! I'm quite prepared to accept the consequences.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3048561)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Well, one thing going for road accidents is that you can get some nice young men to sort out your C-pillars for you....