Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Sep 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3451851)   #1
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
2014 Petit Le Mans Discussion

I might have missed it but it seems Petit's race duration has been *updated* to a 10 hours race only instead of the traditional '1,000 miles/10 hours which ever comes first' one (see imsa.com or roadatlanta.com).

Then again, it wouldn't be a surprise to see both the 1,000 miles and 10 hours markers being reached with a lengthy and/or late FCY (or two)....
Old 10 Sep 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3451862)   #2
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I might have missed it but it seems Petit's race duration has been *updated* to a 10 hours race only instead of the traditional '1,000 miles/10 hours which ever comes first' one (see imsa.com or roadatlanta.com).

Then again, it wouldn't be a surprise to see both the 1,000 miles and 10 hours markers being reached with a lengthy and/or late FCY (or two)....
Wow you're right This is huge

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...s%20090214.pdf
Race - Petit Le Mans Powered by Mazda for the TUDOR Championship - 10 Hours
ART 9.6.7 - Duration of the race: Ten (10) hours

There goes the last remaining distance based race for ACO eglible vehicles. And before any of you say why would anyone complain of longer events - well it not only breaks tradition (as if the auto entry cancellations and ACO turning it's back weren't enough) but it also destroys strategic element involved in lower classes. You know how they had to calculate at which point the 1000 miles is reached by the top class and fuel themselves accordingly. No more Risi Comp screwing it up on last lap etc

Isn't it interesting, we have no pre-event testing (no Sunday-Monday or Promoter's session in Wednesday) and 30 minutes less of actual practice too - but the race itself just gets de facto longer?

They really should rename it Road Atlanta 10 Hours and safe the name of PLM.

Last edited by Deleted; 10 Sep 2014 at 14:59.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3451906)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The distance standard of Petit was always one of the things I liked about it. You knew the leader would do 394 laps, but what about the other classes? As you say that introduced strategy that mattered. Ask Mr Risi!
Old 10 Sep 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3451909)   #4
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is pretty dumb. I guess they're avoiding the inevitable not getting to 1000 miles because race control would throw a FCY every 15 minutes and they'd get about 500 miles in.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3451913)   #5
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it is being done for TV reasons. I length-limited race could be over way early or way late, which screws up scheduling for the network. A ten-hour race is easy to plan for.

So ... take the race off TV (two-hour hi-lite reel only) or put up with the fact that a once-in-history ending (Risi running dry a few corners from victory) won't be repeated.

It is still pretty much the same race. If anyone really just cannot stomach that the P-cars might run 396 laps, I guess I am not the one to try to win you back.

I am working right now to actually attend the race---and if things pan out, in honor of those who refuse to accept this change, I stage a standing protest during every lap past 394---standing by the fence watching the cars come by, of course.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 16:57 (Ref:3451914)   #6
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I think it is being done for TV reasons. I length-limited race could be over way early or way late, which screws up scheduling for the network. A ten-hour race is easy to plan for.

So ... take the race off TV (two-hour hi-lite reel only) or put up with the fact that a once-in-history ending (Risi running dry a few corners from victory) won't be repeated.

It is still pretty much the same race. If anyone really just cannot stomach that the P-cars might run 396 laps, I guess I am not the one to try to win you back.

I am working right now to actually attend the race---and if things pan out, in honor of those who refuse to accept this change, I stage a standing protest during every lap past 394---standing by the fence watching the cars come by, of course.
It's 10 hours at most. It won't run later than that! The distance is 1000 miles OR 10 hours, whichever comes first. 1000 miles has ALWAYS come before 10 hours, with the exception of the rain shortened 2009 race.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 17:36 (Ref:3451921)   #7
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would've been likely gone to 10h this year anyway due to much-lower-than-LMP1 pace and 45 minute cautions for coke cans and LMPC crashes and GWCs, but it still stinks. PLM is disappearing from PLM ever so rapidly.

How many distance based sportscar events are there left, seriously is Super GT with it's 1x 1000km race 7x sprint-ish races the only major one left... BES has the Nurburgring 1000km but they got rid of it again didn't they...
Old 10 Sep 2014, 17:42 (Ref:3451922)   #8
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Moved it to Paul Richard for next year, though I think the 1000K is only the name with a fixed duration of six hours.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3451927)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Moved it to Paul Richard for next year, though I think the 1000K is only the name with a fixed duration of six hours.
Too bad... ILMC called Spa round of 2011 as "Spa 1000km" as well, even though it was a 6 hour event.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3451930)   #10
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Great post.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 17:59 (Ref:3451931)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Here are the overall times and top finishers in P2 and GT over the past 10 or so Petits:
YearTimeTop P2 LapsCarTop GT2/LM LapTeam
20139:37:5.851388HPD ARX 03b375Falken
20129:37:43.578391HPD ARX 03b375ESM
20119:34:23.972375HPD ARX 01G367AF Corse
20109:10:43.451383HPD ARX 01c355Corvette
20089:41:17.825394RS Spyder358Risi
20079:18:58.275394RS Spyder353Flying Lizard
20069:16:49.835386RS Spyder356Peterson White Lightning
20059:16:20.630375Lola B05/40 AER364Peterson White Lightning
20049:35:41.562369Lola B2K/40/Judd360Alex Job
20039:31:10.608357Lola EX257 Judd360Alex Job

That was actually a lot of fun to put together!
Old 10 Sep 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3451933)   #12
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:

Screws up scheduling for what, Fox Sports 2? Oh dear. It's always going to take over 9 hours anyway so we're not talking about massive gaps either.

And they had the race on live TV for what, 16 seasons (okay 14 as 2011-2012 were web + ABC highlights only) and it was okay even last year with Fox Sports 1, why not now...

Sebring finishes have not been live on TV for a while either, just on web, and that's a timed event...

The strategical element is important for me in motor racing and this was one of the last places to see it happening with the lower classes. And while yes Risi is the most obvious example as it ended up in disaster, there have been other great fuel based shenanigans going on at the end in many other races as well.

And yes you're not the one winning it back

Last edited by Deleted; 10 Sep 2014 at 18:07.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3451934)   #13
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Here are the overall times and top finishers in P2 and GT over the past 10 or so Petits:
YearTimeTop P2 LapsCarTop GT2/LM LapTeam
20139:37:5.851388HPD ARX 03b375Falken
20129:37:43.578391HPD ARX 03b375ESM
20119:34:23.972375HPD ARX 01G367AF Corse
20109:10:43.451383HPD ARX 01c355Corvette
20089:41:17.825394RS Spyder358Risi
20079:18:58.275394RS Spyder353Flying Lizard
20069:16:49.835386RS Spyder356Peterson White Lightning
20059:16:20.630375Lola B05/40 AER364Peterson White Lightning
20049:35:41.562369Lola B2K/40/Judd360Alex Job
20039:31:10.608357Lola EX257 Judd360Alex Job

That was actually a lot of fun to put together!
Thanks joeb, very interesting indeed.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3452138)   #14
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I'm sad to see more strategy thrown out by management. I don't think this is as horrendous as allowing tires at the same time as fuel, but it's still sad to see intriguing aspects of the sport widdled away.

What frustrates me more about this is the spins that will likely come after the event similar to the 12hr. The change does seem only because, as others have posted, management is concerned that the race won't get to 1000 miles being the only Petit (1998 391 laps) run to completion that didn't hit 1000 miles first. Whether caution or other reasons, they're concerned it won't go the full distance. Can't have a NASCAR series portrayed as second rate compared to what existed before. Taking distance out gives them the opportunity to place the almighty DP on terms with Audi, Peugeot, Porsche. "The definitely a Chevrolet Corvette and not just stickers DP joins the ranks of the world's best and most advanced sports car prototypes. Heck, we went further than Peugeot when Peugeot won in 2009! Ha!"

The alternative is just as delicious to management: Petit 2014 does run further than 1000 miles. I'll call it now: "TUSC runs a Petit distance further than any previous iteration of the event in history! History made! Never before has Petit gone over 1000 miles! We did it! The definitely a Chevrolet Corvette and not just stickers DP has not only beaten everyone today, but everyone in all of history! Heck, we went waaay further than Peugeot when Peugeot won in 2009! Ha!"

The whole thing wreaks. DPs have been a farce for a while, why stop now? Personally I can't stand leaving out important facts while painting a rosy picture about anything. During VIR I kept hearing how this was going to be the first time in TUSC history the a GT car would win overall. While true, it was also the first time where no proto was there to win overall. Also, history? Yes while true, your less than 10 month history of races doesn't exactly have significant weight as far as history goes. The PR spin is worse than ever. The removal of the distance only serves to help that train roll on.

Having said that, this year I will get the pleasure of introducing Petit and the track in general to the person who introduced me to Sebring. Hence I'll also be standing on the fence at 9:30, rooting for another Viper or Falken win.

Last edited by seanyb505; 11 Sep 2014 at 13:59.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3452172)   #15
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
The thing about history in a niche sport such as ours is that only the people who really give a you-know-what about the sport will give a darn. Those who will give a darn will hopefully know better. I mean even in sports where there's a tremendous amount more focus it's hard to remember who won what? Can anyone remember without checking google who won the Super Bowl five years ago? Probably not.

I would agree that they're doing these types of things for PR spin and sound bites, however I can't see that they get much out of the effort.

(Although how much effort is there to *******ize and change everything we've come to know and love, sadly not much)

I just can't believe that this day has come. I used to look forward to Petit Le Mans for 364 days of the year. I used to go down on Friday and Saturday and it would tear me up inside that the cars were running around the track without me on the Wednesday and Thursday. Now I think I could care less.

At least it was all good for something, at least now I have Le Mans to look forward to for 364 days of the year!
Old 11 Sep 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3452194)   #16
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any word on a WEC P2 showing up?
Old 11 Sep 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3452195)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Any word on a WEC P2 showing up?
Doesn't really fit into their schedule, and is only 2 weeks before the last ELMS round so could be tough for anybody wanting to make the trip. Could be done, but there just isn't any reason for somebody to want to make the trip. Oak talked about running two cars but the damage done to the Morgan at Road America put an end to that.

Regardless, I"m still massively looking forward to Petit. I know it is likely to be a caution fest, and the P2's won't be able to stay ahead on the back straight, but it is still a great track to watch cars on. Should have 55 cars on track so there will be action everywhere.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:02 (Ref:3452227)   #18
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
........ but there just isn't any reason for somebody to want to make the trip.
This applies to fans as well.

I miss being able to look forward to IMSA races.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3452228)   #19
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I'm sad to see more strategy thrown out by management. I don't think this is as horrendous as allowing tires at the same time as fuel, but it's still sad to see intriguing aspects of the sport widdled away.

What frustrates me more about this is the spins that will likely come after the event similar to the 12hr. The change does seem only because, as others have posted, management is concerned that the race won't get to 1000 miles being the only Petit (1998 391 laps) run to completion that didn't hit 1000 miles first. Whether caution or other reasons, they're concerned it won't go the full distance. Can't have a NASCAR series portrayed as second rate compared to what existed before. Taking distance out gives them the opportunity to place the almighty DP on terms with Audi, Peugeot, Porsche. "The definitely a Chevrolet Corvette and not just stickers DP joins the ranks of the world's best and most advanced sports car prototypes. Heck, we went further than Peugeot when Peugeot won in 2009! Ha!"

The alternative is just as delicious to management: Petit 2014 does run further than 1000 miles. I'll call it now: "TUSC runs a Petit distance further than any previous iteration of the event in history! History made! Never before has Petit gone over 1000 miles! We did it! The definitely a Chevrolet Corvette and not just stickers DP has not only beaten everyone today, but everyone in all of history! Heck, we went waaay further than Peugeot when Peugeot won in 2009! Ha!"

The whole thing wreaks. DPs have been a farce for a while, why stop now? Personally I can't stand leaving out important facts while painting a rosy picture about anything. During VIR I kept hearing how this was going to be the first time in TUSC history the a GT car would win overall. While true, it was also the first time where no proto was there to win overall. Also, history? Yes while true, your less than 10 month history of races doesn't exactly have significant weight as far as history goes. The PR spin is worse than ever. The removal of the distance only serves to help that train roll on.

Having said that, this year I will get the pleasure of introducing Petit and the track in general to the person who introduced me to Sebring. Hence I'll also be standing on the fence at 9:30, rooting for another Viper or Falken win.
Good post.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3452239)   #20
Deleted
Veteran

Speaking of euro entries - and discounting Oak Racing as they have done every other race in the series anyway - is this gonna be the first year without one-off Euro influence at all? Last year we still had Rebellion (whom had folded full season after Laguna), in 2012 Rebellion again plus bunch of ELMS teams, 2010-2011 obviously ILMC and before that plenty of -particularly proto- teams each year
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3452243)   #21
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Speaking of euro entries - and discounting Oak Racing as they have done every other race in the series anyway - is this gonna be the first year without one-off Euro influence at all? Last year we still had Rebellion (whom had folded full season after Laguna), in 2012 Rebellion again plus bunch of ELMS teams, 2010-2011 obviously ILMC and before that plenty of -particularly proto- teams each year
Sure looks that way. End of an era for sure.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3452244)   #22
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't mean to trivialize anyone's dissatisfaction with this change.

For me, after the severe and repeated crotch-kicks I have endured as ALMS decayed and morphed in the the TUSC zombie, this seems like only a gently poke--probably because the affected region is growing numb, which isn't good for the series or myself.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3452246)   #23
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
This applies to fans as well.

I miss being able to look forward to IMSA races.
Point taken, but we still have the GTLM, GTD and PC battles to look forward to. Yes say what you will about the bop/specness of each of those classes,but we truly don't know what car will win from those classes. In Protos there are probably only 3 or 4 cars that can win depending on how the latest adjustments go.

Plus the support races will be good at Petit, and the atmosphere (hopefully) will still be there.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3452248)   #24
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
I don't mean to trivialize anyone's dissatisfaction with this change.

For me, after the severe and repeated crotch-kicks I have endured as ALMS decayed and morphed in the the TUSC zombie, this seems like only a gently poke--probably because the affected region is growing numb, which isn't good for the series or myself.
I think it's because no matter how little respect there is left for the series itself anymore, there is still desire for these single big events to remain relatively familiar and relevant. 'Little' things like this just add to the bigger picture.

Daytona 24h is pretty much the same as was before 'merger' I would say, still the same show with sameish cars, atmosphere and grandstand finish plan. When I looked at in in January it felt like the same exact ish thing as 5 years ago.

However Petit with no P1, no auto entries, no European guest entries / international flavour, no 1000 mile distance, no particular ACO love, less track time + no pre-event testing and Grand-Am cars in the mix does not seem the same as 5 years ago. I mean if only some of those things were removed it would still felt like the same race, but now...

How many still agree with this sentence regarding PLM (wikipedia)
It uses the rules established for the 24 Hours of Le Mans by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO), which are slightly modified if necessary, mainly to allow additional cars to compete.

ANYWAY, despite all of this I will watch PLM as Road Atlanta is still unbeliavable & pure circuit, the support package is great and you can never completely get rid of the special atmosphere the event has. Size of the crowds makes 95% of the other sportscar events jealous

Last edited by Deleted; 11 Sep 2014 at 18:53.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 01:19 (Ref:3452352)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The change is just not needed. It's meddling for the sake of meddling and makes no damn sense no matter how you spin it.

I'll be there whether it's 5 hours or 10, 500 miles or 1000 miles and I'll enjoy myself unless there's 400 inches of rain in a day and I am simultaneously crapping in a port a lit every 2 hrs with no way to get home to my own toilet.