Old 27 Sep 2014, 02:04 (Ref:3457998)   #1
HOLDEN RT
Rookie

England
chesterton newcastle-u-lyme
HOLDEN RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cliff Hammond

just heard some sad news
that cliff as past away on 23 sept funeral service will be held at bradwell crematorium on 7 oct at 12 40 pm
Old 27 Sep 2014, 06:05 (Ref:3458021)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
That's very sad indeed. I was only thinking about him the other day wondering how he was doing. A true legend of oulton park. RIP Cliff
Old 27 Sep 2014, 09:06 (Ref:3458054)   #3
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the Oulton Park characters who always took such care to support and encourage others.

RIP Cliff.

Jim Whitaker
Old 27 Sep 2014, 22:05 (Ref:3458201)   #4
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Cliff was (co-incidentally) my observer on my first few meetings as a trainee - all meetings without walkabouts, clearly! But I couldn't have asked for a better introduction to marshalling. The history and the knowledge were such a great foundation to build on.
A very sad loss.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 00:43 (Ref:3458228)   #5
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another great character sadly lost to us. RIP Cliff.

Unlikely to get to the funeral but I will be there in my heart. I have so many memories of Cliff from over the years that there will be a lot of contemplating.

I still have a programme from him which was the closest he could find to my actual birthday and fondly remember discussing numerous topics with him, usually accompanied by photos. It was always a joy to work with him or to catch up with him socially. His humour was gentle but he used it to get his point across and it was sad enough to see him laid low by his health.

And I think he ended up one time with a third-hand computer from us which we had passed on via my Mum - hope he forgave us for that one!
Old 28 Sep 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3458395)   #6
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news - obituary information below

17 years ago I went on a walkabout with Cliff around Oulton Park - big boots to fill but many newbies have benefitted from this initiative which is an amazing legacy he has left us - RIP Cliff.

HAMMOND Clifford John (Cliff) Peacefully on 23rd September 2014 at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire. Cliff aged 81 years of Bradwell Hall Nursing Home, formerly of Hilltop Avenue, Basford. Loving nephew of Bessie, also loved cousin. Funeral service and cremation to be held at Bradwell Crematorium on Tuesday 7th October 2014 at 12.40pm.

Will all relatives and friends please meet at the crematorium. No flowers by request, donations preferred to Bradwell Hall, Audley Unit. Donations and inquiries to: HOPKINSON WOOTTON LOVATT Independent Funeral Directors 15 Chetwynd Street Wolstanton ST5 0EQ Telephone: 01782 715152 www.hopkinsonwoottonlovatt.co.uk
Old 28 Sep 2014, 17:09 (Ref:3458398)   #7
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many are called a gentleman but Cliff truly was. His stories of the early days of Oulton were fascinating and I have spent many joyful days on post with him, listening to his memories RIP, Cliff.
Old 28 Sep 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3458413)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I last saw Cliff a couple of weeks ago.
Very poorly but managed a smile or two when I mentioned some names from Oulton Park.
Cliff, you were a true gentleman.
Thankyou for all you did for me and for many many other Marshals
RIP
Old 28 Sep 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3458424)   #9
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was probably in one of the first groups to have Nadine doing the walk round after Cliff had to stop doing it but was fortunate to met him and have the opportunity to chat to him on a few occasions

It's been said before a true gent and a sad loss but a wonderful legacy left
Old 29 Sep 2014, 07:01 (Ref:3458501)   #10
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
Many are called a gentleman but Cliff truly was. His stories of the early days of Oulton were fascinating and I have spent many joyful days on post with him, listening to his memories RIP, Cliff.
I totally agree Paul. The few times I worked with him were a joy, particularly when he brought in his photos from a snow bound Good Friday F5000(?) meeting. The world is a slightly worse place today.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3458504)   #11
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many, many years ago - probably the early 1980's - Cliff's signature appeared repeatedly on my training cards. I fondly remember his instruction and guidance always accompanied with an example or an explanation why. He tapped into my enthusiasm and reinforced my desire to marshal. Undoubtedly one of the reasons I'm still at it.

He treated everybody likewise and motor sport marshalling has much to be grateful to Cliff. Cliff deserves to have gone to a happy place.

David Morgan
Old 29 Sep 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3458523)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
As several people have said, a real gentleman; a sad loss.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3458613)   #13
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sad loss indeed, Cliff was a true legend of Oulton Park and a gentleman of the old school.
Unfortunately I will be unable to attend Cliff's funeral as I will be working at Oulton
Park on that day. I will however be in the right place to be thinking about Cliff.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3458621)   #14
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I, too, was a Clifflet. A lovely man. The world is a darker place now. RIP.
Old 29 Sep 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3458720)   #15
Mark Smith
Racer

United Kingdom
Chester
Mark Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news to hear. Cliff also took me on one of his famous walking tours of Oulton Park when I started. A true legend and a real gentleman. RIP.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3458926)   #16
Mark Noble
Racer

England
Warrington
Mark Noble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can only echo what has already been said. Greatful for Cliff's help when I first started. Rest peacefully.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3459813)   #17
HOLDEN RT
Rookie

England
chesterton newcastle-u-lyme
HOLDEN RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for you who are going to cliffs funeral the address is Chatterley close bradwell Newcastle staffs st5 8le
Old 5 Oct 2014, 19:07 (Ref:3460955)   #18
vintage
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
vintage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cliff Hammond

Well another great Oulton Park stalwart has passed on. He had been there from the beginning and was a marshal who with others started the BMRMC. He guided me when I was a new marshal and I thank him for that. I have been to see him over the years he was in the home in Newcastle Under Lyme. It was sad to see him deteriorate. I took him an Oulton Park cap he looked at it and said I love Oulton Park it was nice to get out in the fresh air and then he would drift back to when he worked on the council that was the time to leave. God Bless you Cliff a real Gentle Man.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 17:00 (Ref:3461357)   #19
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I endorse the comments in the last post. Cliff's main legacy to marshalling was his role in the creation of the BMRMC along with his brother John. In addition both he and John where prominent committee members of the North West Region when I first started marshalling.
I recall turning up on spec for an Oulton Park Training Day on a freezing Feb morning to be greeted by this guy with the words 'You look frozz youth, come into the BMRMC caravan and have mug of tea'.
A few years later Cliff was fundamental to me becoming a flag marshal, when I turned up at Lodge for a day running about on the bank with a fire bottle to be informed by Cliff that 'we're short of a flag marshal and I've decided your it'.
Hence my first day flagging was for a mixed grid of F1's and F5000's. Nothing like being broken in gently...

Thanks Cliff for the advice and support over the years, and the good times on post.
My favourite quote from Cliff was at a HSCC meeting at Donington at a point when mainstream F1 was going through a major debate on the future power units/tyre etc. A well driven 250F came drifting through McLeans and Cliff just said 'In my opinion F1 should have just one rule - any power unit you like provided it can fit in the profile of that car'.

RIP Cliff
Old 6 Oct 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3461360)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLDEN RT View Post
for you who are going to cliffs funeral the address is Chatterley close bradwell Newcastle staffs st5 8le
I'm working but my wife, Lisa, a former Marshal and Cliffling, will be attending and representing me
Old 9 Oct 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3462577)   #21
vintage
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
vintage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cliff,s funeral.

Severn members of the BMSMC gathered at the funeral along with friends and neighbours to give Cliff his send off. The service went well with 2 hymns and the blessings. Nice words were spoken of his life and hobbys. Oulton Park came out as one of his favorites. I placed an Oulton Park cap on the coffin as I thought he would like that. We went to have refreshments after and one of his neighbours had a small suitcase full of photographs. We thought at last some of Cliff,s memrabilia from Oulton but not to be. It is a mystery were his photo,s have got but a neighour said he would try and find out. It was sad not more friends from Oulton could have made it but maybe they did not know in time. RIP Cliff.
Old 9 Oct 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3462588)   #22
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Lisa went and said it was a nice send off! I think she said she recognised Ken, Paul and Glyn but couldn't recall the others.
It would be nice if the North Region could perhaps consider some lasting tribute to Cliff
Old 9 Oct 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3462641)   #23
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Ian and Jan Walker that also attended. Past Oulton marshals that haven't been around for several years. Andy was there, too.