Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30 Nov 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2993417)   #1101
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...do-better.html
I like how the last sentence reads like it is from Crazy D.
OK Adam, I think you've made your point...
Old 30 Nov 2011, 14:28 (Ref:2993500)   #1102
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having siad how good the "rivalry" between Sky and the BBC will be for fans "I’m delighted to confirm that I’m staying with the BBC for another year, and would like to extend beyond that." says DC.

He may be able to drive an F1 car but poor old DC hasn't a clue about how the media industry works.

Unless I have got this completely wrong (and I hope I have) there will be no "rivalry" within a year or two. It'll all be on Sky.

And David, you will be applying for a job.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2993506)   #1103
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is a danger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OK Adam, I think you've made your point...
What, that I was desperate to mention Crazy D. I didn't bid on his tiny whites!
Old 30 Nov 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2993526)   #1104
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's really sad that Martin Brundle has taken the Devil's shilling and gone to the Sky F1 programme. I thought better of him.
Quite apart from the fact that I cannot afford £47 per race on Sky, I will never ever give money ot that crooked Maxwell family!
Old 30 Nov 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2993529)   #1105
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Quite apart from the fact that I cannot afford £47 per race on Sky
£47 a race???
Old 30 Nov 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2993536)   #1106
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
It's really sad that Martin Brundle has taken the Devil's shilling and gone to the Sky F1 programme. I thought better of him.
I'm a fan of Brundle's commentary, grid walks and incisiveness, and will miss him from the free-to-air coverage. However I understand his decision to move to Sky TV.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "thought better of him" though; of course you're entitled to say that you're disappointed that you won't see/hear him next season - and I share your disappointment - but it's not for you or I to make a judgement on his career move. This is a direct quote from Martin Brundle's Twitter:

Quote:
Few tweets of 'sell out' or 'traitor'. After 15 yrs of F1 comm I've made a career choice, don't recall any promises or obligations to anyone. Many fans saying they will come to Sky F1 with me,others don't want/can't afford to. Completely understand. BBC changed course, I've reacted.
So with that in mind, I wish him all the very best and hope that the Sky TV viewers enjoy his commentary as much as I have done since he picked up the microphone for ITV back in 1997.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2993539)   #1107
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
£47 a race???
Definitley not £47 per race (Sorry, MagentON, couldn't get the double quote of your message in as well). In fact for most people the Sky F1 channel will be arriving at no extra cost to their current package.

From the Sky F1 website, it says basically anyone with existing Sky Sports 1/2 packages will get the F1 channel (HD or SD - dependant upon your Sports package) at no extra cost. Anyone who has the HD pack will get the Sky F1 HD channel at no extra cost.

I believe that the extra cost people are shouting about is where they might not have either Sky Sports or HD Packages in place already. And if you are looking at the cost, go for the HD package, which at an extra £10 / month gives you £120/year or less than £5/race in 2012 (plus the luxury of HD - which you don't have to use, if you don't have an HD telly)

Disclaimer: Not a Sky employee, Not a Sky Sports Subscriber but I do have Sky HD - so a free addition for me.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2993546)   #1108
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Definitley not £47 per race (Sorry, MagentON, couldn't get the double quote of your message in as well). In fact for most people the Sky F1 channel will be arriving at no extra cost to their current package.
Yeah, I'm a Sky subscriber already so will get it free, was just wondering where DM got the figure of £47 a race from.

Assuming you're NOT a Sky subscriber then taking the basic package plus HD is £30.25 a month or £363 a year, under £20 a race, assuming that's all you bought it for.

Oh, and for all the "I want it free" folks, F1 has never been free on the BBC, you're paying £145 a year.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2993558)   #1109
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but paying money on top of that? £145 is much less and it goes towards other programming.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2993563)   #1110
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post

From the Sky F1 website, it says basically anyone with existing Sky Sports 1/2 packages will get the F1 channel (HD or SD - dependant upon your Sports package) at no extra cost. Anyone who has the HD pack will get the Sky F1 HD channel at no extra cost.

I believe that the extra cost people are shouting about is where they might not have either Sky Sports or HD Packages in place already. And if you are looking at the cost, go for the HD package, which at an extra £10 / month gives you £120/year or less than £5/race in 2012 (plus the luxury of HD - which you don't have to use, if you don't have an HD telly)

Disclaimer: Not a Sky employee, Not a Sky Sports Subscriber but I do have Sky HD - so a free addition for me.
Whats the best deal for somebody who doesn't have a Sky package at all at this moment in time though? I have freeview and pay nothing but my TV license at present. Of course I only really need to use Sky for 10 or 8 of the races the way things are going as I can watch the others on the BBC. If you break down the sunscription and divide it by the amount of races the Sky are showing live but not the BBC, then I think thats where people are getting the high figures per race. Add to that the setup cost, or do sky provide free boxes and dishes with free installation? I don't know.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2993568)   #1111
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
Yeah, I'm a Sky subscriber already so will get it free, was just wondering where DM got the figure of £47 a race from.

Assuming you're NOT a Sky subscriber then taking the basic package plus HD is £30.25 a month or £363 a year, under £20 a race, assuming that's all you bought it for.

Oh, and for all the "I want it free" folks, F1 has never been free on the BBC, you're paying £145 a year.
Can't quite work out your thinking there......

It's not free on the BBC because we all have to pay a licence fee but is IS free to you because you're already a Sky subscriber?

Weird logic
Old 30 Nov 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2993570)   #1112
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Whats the best deal for somebody who doesn't have a Sky package at all at this moment in time though? I have freeview and pay nothing but my TV license at present. Of course I only really need to use Sky for 10 or 8 of the races the way things are going as I can watch the others on the BBC. If you break down the sunscription and divide it by the amount of races the Sky are showing live but not the BBC, then I think thats where people are getting the high figures per race. Add to that the setup cost, or do sky provide free boxes and dishes with free installation? I don't know.
Not that I would advocate such a thing but I believe there are a number of free, live feeds which exist on the www and could be used as an alternative to subscribing to Sky.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2993574)   #1113
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post

It's not free on the BBC because we all have to pay a licence fee but is IS free to you because you're already a Sky subscriber?

Weird logic
I'm in Ireland with a grand total of 5 tv channels without Sky or cable. So have been paying for Sky for years to get something worth watching so to me it's "free"

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Old 30 Nov 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2993575)   #1114
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Not that I would advocate such a thing but I believe there are a number of free, live feeds which exist on the www and could be used as an alternative to subscribing to Sky.
That is the main alternative I am hoping for to be honest. Hopefully nearer the time fans will share (in private as they are illegal) such feeds. My laptop has a HDMI port on the side so I should be able to watch them through my TV and I have seen claims that the quality presently for fans doing this is not as bad as some would want you to beleive.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2993579)   #1115
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That is the main alternative I am hoping for to be honest. Hopefully nearer the time fans will share (in private as they are illegal) such feeds. My laptop has a HDMI port on the side so I should be able to watch them through my TV and I have seen claims that the quality presently for fans doing this is not as bad as some would want you to beleive.
Alot of IndyCar fans had to resort to these feeds last season as the live feed provided by Versus on the IndyCar website was axed. From what I've heard these live feeds can be hit and miss and are sometimes not worth watching but I suppose a dodgy live feed, combined with BBC highlights, might be preferrable to lining Murdoch's pockets.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2993582)   #1116
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Weird logic
"Free" as in "no extra cost to what we are paying already"
Old 30 Nov 2011, 19:47 (Ref:2993620)   #1117
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just seen a trailer for the new channel. I must admit it made me excited for next year.

Although there was a complete lack of content to the ad.

Last edited by Adam43; 30 Nov 2011 at 20:01.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2993622)   #1118
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Thats good then.
Old 30 Nov 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2993668)   #1119
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I noticed that and thought that it caught the race at Abu Dhabi quite accurately from that point of view.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2993858)   #1120
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Just seen a trailer for the new channel. I must admit it made me excited for next year.

If it was this one then it is pretty dull if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkx-R...e_gdata_player
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAum...e_gdata_player
Old 1 Dec 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2993882)   #1121
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Regarding Brundle's move to Sky, I don't think the criticism is fair because I think most people in his position would do the same.

He has racing ambitions for himself and his son which don't come cheap, and the Sky deal will be worth a lot of money. Also I can't see the BBC getting the F1 deal back on an exclusive basis anytime soon.

The only thing that I would slightly worry about, but I'm sure he's thought of this, is that if you were a PR person for a team, and your driver had just 3 mins left available for interviews for a UK TV station before the BGP, who would you choose? The BBC with potentially more than 7 million viewers, or Sky with possibly a tenth of that......

Whoever takes over the Grid walks for the BBC is in a pretty strong position imho.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2993885)   #1122
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Well the simplicity worked for me. It is what is said...
Still I was going to like the anticipation and you won't like anything to do with it, so it tells us nothing.

It is a dedicated F1 channel man!

I'd rather BBC had a dedicated channel, but hey ho.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2993888)   #1123
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Whoever takes over the Grid walks for the BBC is in a pretty strong position imho.
Could be, also depends on who the commentator is really.

To be honest, the drivers are (in my mind) the least interesting thing on the grid walk, I prefer it when he talks to team members and stuff. With the drivers it's pretty much a given it'll be "We quallified in X but we think we have a stronger race pace, so yeah... I think we'll be going forward."
Old 1 Dec 2011, 10:50 (Ref:2993890)   #1124
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Well the simplicity worked for me. It is what is said...
Still I was going to like the anticipation and you won't like anything to do with it, so it tells us nothing.

It is a dedicated F1 channel man!

I'd rather BBC had a dedicated channel, but hey ho.
You're right I won't like anything about it as the whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth and I find it very difficult to get enthusiastic about something that is out of my reach financially. Its basically an advert promoting something I have had for the past 23 years and now I'll be forced to view illegally. Or perhaps not at all. If Sky used their heads and offered a freeview package to fans for £10 p/m I'm sure many would try it out, and I'd consider it. Sky need to realise that their deals are just out of reach by most and if they weren't, everybody would be a Sky viewer instead of only having 10% of the market.

If the BBC had a dedicated channel for F1 it would be great and would no doubt blow Sky out of the water, but the chances of that ever happening are slim. I think we'll be lucky to have any F1 coverage at all after 2013 with Sky getting every race and Channel 5 getting the highlights like they did with the cricket.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2993894)   #1125
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Forced to view illegally!? No, you're not forced, that will be your choice.

It has the potential to be more than what we've had before. That is what is exciting. A dedicated F1 channel!

Tags
outrage, sky