Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:16 (Ref:2932341)   #1
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 goes to Sky sports

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9550930.stm
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:40 (Ref:2932345)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
what a disaster. Can't quite believe it.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:40 (Ref:2932346)   #3
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Final nail in the coffin for me.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2932347)   #4
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently from 2012 to 2018, half the races will be aired live on the BBC as now and the other half on Sky.
Sky of course would involve paying more but the BBC will have highlights of the races they do not show live.

Better than all Sky I suppose, but still pooh. Is this the end of F1? Murdoch AND Bernie....

P
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:44 (Ref:2932348)   #5
calibrax
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rochester, Kent
calibrax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gutted. The inevitable return of advert breaks is the killer for me.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:46 (Ref:2932349)   #6
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Screwed.

That kills F1 in this house.. I stopped "fanatical" viewing a few years back - but the remaining viewer in this house sees no point in seeing half a season live... and Sky sports is an expense we just cant cover, and I guess many fans will be in that position. Just another example of the lack of realism at the top of F1.

To quote the reaction here... "no point in watching half a season live".

Im hoping the audience figures in the UK take a dive - hot that I expect Bernie to care.

What happens to Brundle now?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2932352)   #7
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A shoddy little compromise.

Dealing with the Devil and a sell out for Licence fee payers.

This will reduce overall audience significantly, and destroy the free to air tradition over the long term.

Dealing with Murdoch in the current circumstances? BBC should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2932353)   #8
flipper
Rookie

flipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if anyone has asked the poor bloody sponsors whether they support this mess of a "solution" .. but like many above I wont pay anymore for television
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2932355)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never thought I would see this day. Can't believe it to be honest and I am
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2932356)   #10
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2011 is my last f1 season then, wouldn't have anything to do with Murdoch even before the NOTW scandal. Bye Bernie you have lost a long time devoted fan but I don't think you really care about little people like me.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2932358)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Laughable and typical Ecclestone really, "Yes you can have the British GP for years, but actually we will sell the TV rights to the highest bidder!, despite two thirds of the populaion not having access!" Just like cricker did after the Ashes years ago.

Not at all surprised, it's utterly Bernie, the Beeb cant afford the coverage and money is the only thing that ever matters with him. He has no attachment to the country.

Sky will make it look nice, spend gazillions on it, but get no viewers, it's what happened beofre with Eurosport and ITV, and that was when coverage was cheap!

Murdoch get's his way yet again, but is that at all a shock when you consider the way things are done in F1.

I won't be watching, I don't much anyway to be fair, but SKY just spend to get viewers, anyone who watches minority stuff knows that.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:17 (Ref:2932359)   #12
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a crock of sh*te. So much for Bernie, FOTA et al saying that F1 mustn't go to pay-to-view. Complete, utter, idiots.

If BBC are only showing half the races then presumably they won't be putting in the same effort as they are now, so what they do show will be a shadow of it's former self.

Another bye-bye F1 from here I'm afraid.

Mike
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:20 (Ref:2932360)   #13
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What is truly disgracefully about this grubby deal is how the BBC, funded by the public, can do a deal with a man who is under investigation by police on both sides of the atlantic and by the British Parliament.

With any luck BSB will have their broadcasting licence withdrawn as not a "fit and proper" organisation due to the disgusting antics of their Chairman and major shareholder.

BBC should hang their heads in shame.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2932361)   #14
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, when in the UK it will cost me around £15.00 a month on Sky to watch the F1 races. I think not.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2932363)   #15
Retired
Rookie

England
EGYD
Retired should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
A shoddy little compromise.

Dealing with the Devil and a sell out for Licence fee payers.

This will reduce overall audience significantly, and destroy the free to air tradition over the long term.

Dealing with Murdoch in the current circumstances? BBC should be ashamed of themselves.
Spot on Flavio. This is the slippery slope. AND adverts - nooooooooooo!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2932364)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to agree with several posters.

It is clear the Beeb and Sky have done a deal of some kind, which makes a lot of what has gone in recently abotu News Corp look very interesting?

There have been opinions raised about News Corp getting so politically involved to try and push the BBC aside a bit more and stop them having blanket coverage of marquee events like this.

here is the evidence, that not only have BSkyB done that, the Beeb have also rolled over and allowed it under pressure from government spending cuts and also the consumer who has had their licence fee frozen for years.

We didnt I believe ask for our licence fee frozen?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2932367)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I won't be paying to watch and thats a fact. Let them get on with it.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2932368)   #18
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
It's a very strange deal given that the current BBC deal with Bernie goes through to the end of 2013. Sounds to me like the BBC have cut and run rather than Sky pushing in - COULD be that Sky taking on all the races has saved half the races not being televised live at all in the UK.

Very strange also that there has been no real mention of a deal in the offing before now.

Feel for you guys in the UK - particularly when the coverage from the BBC has been so good.

Weird decision but then if the BBC were only prepared to do half the races live, it may have been the only course of action open to Bernie.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2932371)   #19
cerdic
Rookie

cerdic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ridiculous compromise. I am another that will not fork out for Sky. I will probably still watch the races that are shown on the BBC but I'm not sure if I will maintain the same level of interest if I'm only watching half the races.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2932372)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
First thought, im disapointed, naturally. Second thought, in this flat we are considering all chipping in a few quid because we are football fans, so it may transpire that we are actually able to recieve the races on Sky. The thing is, will the races be on regular Sky Sports, or will they be on Box Office for £10 a race?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:37 (Ref:2932374)   #21
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
May I just make only my 2nd or 3rd visit to the F1 forum in a decade to say:

Bernie and Rupert, a match made in Heaven.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2932376)   #22
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If the BBC wanted to save money, why not drop the expense of sending 500 people to Glastonbury, or not be involve in that waste of money and airtime that was the "one year to the Olympics" party crap that they did a couple of days back???
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2932377)   #23
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll that's a bit of a shock, I think it was inevitable it was going to happen sooner or later but just didn't expect it so soon. What surprises me most is the timing given the current storm surrounding Murdoch, which isn't going away anythime soon. I'm also surprised it's happened so quickly, clearly the beeb have been trying to get out of it for longer than we realised.

Does seem a bit half arsed having only half the races and I do wonder if in time it will all go to Sky. I assume the coverage the Beeb show will be a feed from the Sky coverage and won't involve a lot of the build up. It depends which races they show but at least they'll be highlights of the others. I don't mind that too much providing they show the better races live, the poorer circuits I tend to record and skip through anyway.

In general terms not ideal for the sport in the UK really, it's not got the mass appeal of Football which has got away with it. I certainly won't be subscribing to Sky Sports, as I've said before on here I simply cannot justify the cost at this time. Circumstances dictate that I have to have a more basic Sky package and I've always objected to lining Murdoch's pockets. As what I and many others having been saying about him for years has finally started to come out it upsets me even more. If I could justify paying for Sky Sports I wouldn't on moral grounds and would love nothing more than to cancel the whole thing and move elsewhere. Although I'll still follow the sport it certainly won't be as keenly as in the past, so well done Bernie you've reduced another avid fan to a casual spectator.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:43 (Ref:2932378)   #24
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Like many people this would mean us effectively paying 3 times for the same thing - BBC licence fee/Sky sub and now Sky sport sub...

Actually I blame the BBC, they went into this deal with their eyes open and have reneged on it. They have what most broadcasters in the world would jump at, a guaranteed income, from tax payers, with non-payment punisgable by fine or crimminal record!

Showing half of a championship is like not showing it at all IMO. As for highlights programmes, that is 20 years out of date TV scheduling and coverage.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2932379)   #25
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
First thought, im disapointed, naturally. Second thought, in this flat we are considering all chipping in a few quid because we are football fans, so it may transpire that we are actually able to recieve the races on Sky. The thing is, will the races be on regular Sky Sports, or will they be on Box Office for £10 a race?
Sky Sports HD, so it is subscription to channel service not a pay per view per se.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky