Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2924125)   #226
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I think the standard V6 petrol was 2.5 ltrs.

One that I drove had overdrive and a mechanical ABS system for the rear brakes.

It went well when new but seemed troubled after a trip to Spain, towing, and a tank or more of what was then poor quality fuel in Spain. That and being thrashed all the way back in less than 24 hours probably didn't help it at all.

Danger of anorakism here......Zephyr V6 were 2.5, Zodiac 3.0....and the one I fitted was out of a 3.0 Capri......better manifolds

We borrowed one Transit to tow our SD1 to a rally in Germany - it had a 5.7 V8 Chevy lump with auto box, and a disc-braked rear axle......on the way back a prop-shaft UJ started breaking up, and we had to limp back to Calais, clanking our way onto the ferry. Set off up the big hill out of Dover and as the box changed up halway up the hill the UJ finally let go.......after debate we decided to unhook the trailer and turn it round, then turn the Transit round , rehitch and roll back down the hill. Turning the trailer went reasonably well, until we realised that the Transit was starting to disappear down the hill on its own, as the disc-braked handbrake wasn't too good...the driver protested that he'd left it in Park - but seemed not to appreciate that the lack of a prop UJ would render this somewhat useless......we caught the van, but it was interesting for a few moments....
Old 4 Aug 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2935887)   #227
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spotted last weekend at Knockhill, 'Italian Job' themed coach, used by Triumph TR8 team of Willy Toye & co.
Attached Thumbnails
W TOYE COACH.jpg  
Old 4 Aug 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2935981)   #228
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember this from a few weeks back....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Saw this Mk1 Transit transporter at a local show the other week. The cab and chassis were excellent but I thought the aluminium tilt bed a little too modern. Would be ideal for carrying a 105E or similiar.

Well it turned up again tonight -

And if you look its carrying a 105E, of sorts!

Some sort of carbon fibre clothed bewinged wonder. No idea what its going to be used for. Its not complete (I hope) as the roof panel was held on by a bungy strap and some tank tape.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 5 Aug 2011, 06:12 (Ref:2936036)   #229
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
And if you look its carrying a 105E, of sorts!

I know this is completely off thread topic so big apologies-

"Having followed the FIA's deliberations on correct period specification for TVR Griffiths, Gordon Streeter goes to great lengths to ensure his new Appendix K Anglia complies."
Old 5 Aug 2011, 06:20 (Ref:2936037)   #230
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't that the Hot Rod Anglebox in Al's photo restored back to original condition

See Al, I told you so
Old 5 Aug 2011, 07:33 (Ref:2936050)   #231
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ha ha no its my old one!

Next job is to renovate my old Threepenny bit Austin transporter! (Just to get back on topic lol)

BTW that Anglia in Waynes post looks like its being done up for Drifting, I dont like that sport sorry it leaves me cold, each to their own though. BTW2 I dropped a garment round to your house last night Cliff and would be obliged if you can give it to Wayne.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2936056)   #232
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
where those windows for tanning ones legs?

That Anglia is one of the worst things I've ever seen
Old 5 Aug 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2936067)   #233
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ha ha dont be cruel it was a long time ago (74?) If I remember rightly moments after that picture was taken old Bill turned up and wanted to arrest me and take me down to the slammer for missing a court appearance although I had made the correct application to postpone. They let me off when I told them I was raising money for charity but had to report to the nick at 7pm and they banged me up for the night to appear in court on the Monday and I was still covered in grease from the days racing as I thought they would let me go home but oh no!!! BTW the Mini was mine as well.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2936108)   #234
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Ha ha dont be cruel it was a long time ago (74?) If I remember rightly moments after that picture was taken old Bill turned up and wanted to arrest me and take me down to the slammer for missing a court appearance although I had made the correct application to postpone. They let me off when I told them I was raising money for charity but had to report to the nick at 7pm and they banged me up for the night to appear in court on the Monday and I was still covered in grease from the days racing as I thought they would let me go home but oh no!!! BTW the Mini was mine as well.

I'd have thought with the old BMC truck loaded and towing a trailer you'd have been done for obstruction, it would have been that slow......

I had an early Bedford TK as a recovery truck about 20 years ago and it was terrible, although when the TK first came out (late 50s / early 60s?) it was seen as being really advanced
Old 6 Aug 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2936364)   #235
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
not your Anglia Al, the abortion on the tranny, which is great, what a contrast!

I drove a late model TK a couple of years ago, not that bad, it was virtually new though . . . better than the old Army MK 4T General service variant. loads of them going cheap if you what a vintage clunker!
Old 6 Aug 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2936370)   #236
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Going back to Al's pic of his old Threepenny bit Austin transporter, what great times they were driving about everywhere, in anything, on trade plates!

Those were the days.....
Old 6 Aug 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2936372)   #237
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yep they sure were, I even used to drive race cars on them on occassions.
Old 7 Aug 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2936882)   #238
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
That bullnose was originally made for the diesel engined version
Perkins 4/108 indirect injection, combustion chambers used to split, drop out, holded piston, what fun, Not my impression at the time...
Mark Konig had one this type with a Uren V6 installed for transporting Mk2 Nomad
Old 8 Aug 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2937134)   #239
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Yep they sure were, I even used to drive race cars on them on occassions.
Yep, trade plates were good....though one of my mates reckoned the local police had a mantra "Red and White, stop on sight"........could have been just him, though - never had a problem when I had mine......
Old 8 Aug 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2937141)   #240
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes I heard that but in fact I think it was the white on red they used to have a go at more cannot quite remember now.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2937188)   #241
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes I heard that but in fact I think it was the white on red they used to have a go at more cannot quite remember now.
White on red general trade plate Red on White restricted use? Law changed 1970?
Old 13 Sep 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2955148)   #242
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My MAN transporter is for sale on Ebay. Been a great workhorse in case anyone is after a good reliable no-frills transporter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190576622497
Old 14 Sep 2011, 07:24 (Ref:2955262)   #243
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
My MAN transporter is for sale on Ebay. Been a great workhorse in case anyone is after a good reliable no-frills transporter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190576622497
Well Roger considering your modern endurance racing in recent times, this lorry is very historic
Old 14 Sep 2011, 07:33 (Ref:2955267)   #244
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Useful looking vehicle Roger.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2955400)   #245
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice pic, Roger. Is one of the Minis the ex-Richard Wood car?
Old 4 Oct 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2965380)   #246
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A nice old thing; pic taken in the paddock at the MGCC, Snetterton meeting on Saturday, 1st October:-
Attached Thumbnails
MGCCSnet1Oct2011 011wb.jpg  
Old 4 Oct 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2965385)   #247
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
they had that at Julius' race at Thruxton having bought it a couple of weeks before at auction. There were two of these from memory and weren't they the official support trucks for the rally mini's?
Old 4 Oct 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2965392)   #248
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the one that sold at auction earlier in the year. I was more than a little interested when it was first appeared with a guide price of £5K - £7K. A week later there was "an amendment to this lot" - guide price £30K - £35K and I think it sold for somewhere near the top end of that estimate, nicely restored with good history.

I think there were about 5 built (by Marshalls of Cambridge?) for use as mobile classrooms for mechanics when the Mini came out, and they went on to have second lives as rally support vehicles or went overseas to colonial dealers.

There are still some of the others around.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2965481)   #249
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
A nice old thing; pic taken in the paddock at the MGCC, Snetterton meeting on Saturday, 1st October:-
'Works' colour scheme?
Old 4 Oct 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2965515)   #250
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
There was one of these used by a guy wuo used to travel the circuits in the late 70's / early 80's selling clothing (what were called rally jackets in those days), just painted plain white.
It was a little tatty around the edges but a classy vehicle all the same.