Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Nov 2011, 05:40 (Ref:2986546)   #51
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
according to facebook (v8 supercars) there is an issue regarding the correct wearing of fire protection equipment by the driver of car 88

dont know any more, but we should know more in 48 hours

this is very unusal to happen at this point of the season to the championship leader ;-)
Would be very surprised, no make that shocked if Whincup put his championship at risk by flouting the rules with an Ingall/Ambrose effort, especially when there are decision makers just champing at the bit to have the championship not decided until Sydney.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 05:54 (Ref:2986550)   #52
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i agree, but its not abnormal for weird things to happen at this time of the year. apparantly it has come from viewer questions, so might not be anything.

PS just a minor correction/addition, It was Luff who was driving with Ambrose
Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2986660)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Whincup also dismissed reports he could be facing a penalty after TV footage appeared to show him not wearing a protective balaclava underneath his helmet during the Tasmania event.

The balaclava is a safety requirement and drivers have been penalised for not wearing the garment in the past but Whincup said he had no reason to be concerned.

"I've got no other comment than that's complete bulls--t," he said.

"There's nothing official whatsoever, this is all just dribble."
some more info
Old 15 Nov 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2986698)   #54
Bugger All
Racer

Australia
32 DME to the west Left Fl 210
Bugger All should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
some more info
So who has post race video of JW taking his helmet off after getting out of the car??? Should not be hard to find. Cant believe he would (or his crew would let him) forget to put it on prior to a non enduro (i.e. normal not fast crew change) race. In a previous life I spent many years piloting military aircraft around and trust me if you are used to wearing one under your helmet you WILL notice if you don't have it on, things feel and sound very different!!!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2986823)   #55
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the balaclava is not on right... but if he has no balaclava, then he should be excluded!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2986924)   #56
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow that looks damning, but it also makes no sense, not hot in Tassie!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2986945)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
to me that photo makes the neck look very consistant in colour, like a balaclava is being worn,

could it be just a trick of the light,

but hey, V8S would get what they want, a championship going down to the wire
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2986957)   #58
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i believe the footage shows him getting out of the car, looks at something else, then comes back to him after taking off helmet (and potentially balaclava), so is inconclusive.

I also believe there is a similar frame taken from the same sequence as the above frame, from front on, which shows he is wearing a balaclava.

but hey, i've been wrong once before
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2986964)   #59
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
off course there are no gurantees that the above shot is the relevant shot

Axeman, when you say you believe, im assuming that means you have gone back and looked at the footage? as opposed to going from memory?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2986994)   #60
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
off course there are no gurantees that the above shot is the relevant shot

Axeman, when you say you believe, im assuming that means you have gone back and looked at the footage? as opposed to going from memory?
assume whatever you want, other than implying anything others have done or not done, think or not think, without the facts.

it means I believe there is what I mentioned, how i believe that is irrelevant. perhaps i could have more appropriately used the word "understand" instead. I could also say i "know", or something along the lines of "he did wear/he was wearing" etc, but that would be a bit presumptuous, hence why i didn't.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 00:03 (Ref:2987014)   #61
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
thanks for your simple answer,

just telling me what your belief was based on would have been simply

that being see v8 supercars website have released some footage that suggest he was wearing one (its black)

Bu that picture above suggest it might not be adequate enough
Old 16 Nov 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2987018)   #62
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's two by inetpics from the front

http://inetpics.com/showimage.aspx?unid=207160

http://www.v8wire.com/showimage.aspx?unid=207281

Balaclava in his hand?
http://www.v8wire.com/showimage.aspx?unid=207161

The Proof!
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champi...6/default.aspx
Old 16 Nov 2011, 02:52 (Ref:2987058)   #63
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
thanks for your simple answer,

just telling me what your belief was based on would have been simply

that being see v8 supercars website have released some footage that suggest he was wearing one (its black)

Bu that picture above suggest it might not be adequate enough
if that was what i was basing my beliefs/understanding/knowledge on i may have, however it is not, and therefore if i did as such i would be fibbing.

note what i mentioned about assumptions...
Old 16 Nov 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2987106)   #64
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... I always understood that the entirity of the racer driver's person is supposed to be covered in some kind of fire retardant safety equipment, being a race suit, race socks, race suit, balaclava and helmet.

When you look at some of those pics, including bizarrely VESA's "Proof" video snapshot, it is clear that there is a gap around the driver's neck that remains uncovered, despite the other racing paraphernalia in attendance.

Should Mr Whincup be the unfortunate victim of a fire in the cabin, the whole of his person is not protected from the flames. In a scenario such as the WA wreck, where both cars had flames in the cabin, arguably the driver would be at risk of injury to have such exposed skin.

Presumably there is a CAMS/FIA standard about such things?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Nov 2011, 09:01 (Ref:2987128)   #65
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... I always understood that the entirity of the racer driver's person is supposed to be covered in some kind of fire retardant safety equipment, being a race suit, race socks, race suit, balaclava and helmet.

When you look at some of those pics, including bizarrely VESA's "Proof" video snapshot, it is clear that there is a gap around the driver's neck that remains uncovered, despite the other racing paraphernalia in attendance.

Should Mr Whincup be the unfortunate victim of a fire in the cabin, the whole of his person is not protected from the flames. In a scenario such as the WA wreck, where both cars had flames in the cabin, arguably the driver would be at risk of injury to have such exposed skin.

Presumably there is a CAMS/FIA standard about such things?
In some incar footage from Tassie it showed someones legs exposed (either socks not on at all, or just pulled down). Cant remember the driver though.

Same rules apply?
Old 16 Nov 2011, 09:11 (Ref:2987130)   #66
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
two examples of the equipment not being up to scratch now
Old 16 Nov 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2987142)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
In some incar footage from Tassie it showed someones legs exposed (either socks not on at all, or just pulled down). Cant remember the driver though.

Same rules apply?
I saw that too...

You would imagine that this is a serious safety risk... whose role is it to ensure compliance of all equipment to the appropriate CAMS/FIA requirements?
Old 16 Nov 2011, 10:28 (Ref:2987150)   #68
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I saw that too...

You would imagine that this is a serious safety risk... whose role is it to ensure compliance of all equipment to the appropriate CAMS/FIA requirements?
It was Winterbottom, given the drivers wear full length nomex pants and socks under the driving suit it isn't as bad as it looks. The driving suits I bought this year had what was referred to as "Nascar" legs. There was an inner leg with elastic around the ankle and the outside looks like normal pants.
Normally the balaclava would be long enough to tuck inside the collar of the suit, it did look short.

Last edited by sizzle; 16 Nov 2011 at 10:41.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2987159)   #69
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
There's nothing in the compliance that says it has to cover all skin, for all we know it could just be a size too small for him. it did kinda look tapered at the back though.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 11:04 (Ref:2987169)   #70
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
actually mixer from the regulations

3.11 Balaclava hood
One-piece garment designed to fit closely
over the entire head and to extend
downwards to cover the neck.

and also

5.3 Balaclava hoods
All the part of the balaclava hood seen in
frontal projection when the garment is worn
shall consist of at least two layers and shall
have no more than two apertures, no larger
than necessary for normal vision. A
supplementary aperture of minimum size for
the mouth is permitted. The minimum mass
per area of the two layers together shall be =
360 g/m².
The lower part shall be designed to extend
inside the outer or inner garment all around
the neck so that it will not come free
whichever way the head is moved.

and also
Drivers must ensure that garments are not too tight, as this reduces the level of
protection
Old 18 Nov 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2988104)   #71
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
What's the deal with racesuit undergarments?

From Sandown today...

Old 18 Nov 2011, 09:04 (Ref:2988137)   #72
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What's the deal with racesuit undergarments?

From Sandown today...

Maybe Tim should have lucky 6 as a sponsor ??