Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 3 Sep 2013, 14:20 (Ref:3298345)   #51
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have Bremsport calipers on the back of one of my cars and apparently they are made by Outlaw in America and use the same pad as the Wilwood Dynalytes which is a bit of a result as I didn't knw where to get pads from. Apparently their calipers are rebranded for several different companies but they are a nice piece and have been on there for ages now.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 14:25 (Ref:3298346)   #52
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran Malmberg View Post
One should not exaggerate mark hysteria with calipers, not with anything else either. If you have money then, however, the best known brands is usually a safe bet qualitatively. The big problem is lack of knowledge of what to do. A large kalipper is better than a small one, is often thought of as a recipes, which is not right. Racing brakes should be kept at the right temperature and the wrong size, both small and large, can create anomalies. If you use no power assist so it is important with low flexe in the cliper, otherwise you get bad pedal at large hydraulic ratios. Flex in the caliper can be measured with a dial indicator. For a car that runs a lot on open roads and on tracks sometimes, a larger brake system may be better if using more normal brake linings as these works from cooler operating temperatures.
Funny you should say that Goran I believe a lot of guys go over the top on brakes. I have modest sized (303mm) GM LE1 discs all round on my IROC with Wilwood Superlites and Dynalites and I have to say they have never given me any real cause for concern especially as I race on treaded tyres. I often wonder if the weight of a larger disc/caliper would be counter productive. On my older car I have the same discs but massive Wilewood GN 6 pots up front and the Bremsport/Outlaws at the rear and yes I could lock those up at any speed as I have to run on a treaded 8" wide tyre and IMHO they are overkill! BTW I am into my 3rd season on a set of pads on those so maybe I am not trying hard enough !
Old 3 Sep 2013, 21:53 (Ref:3298539)   #53
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Just wound off some of the camber on my old car to try to stop front wheel lockups at Snett this weekend, it was wrong anyhow with 4 degrees on one side
Old 5 Sep 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3299416)   #54
Kozy
Rookie

Kozy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran Malmberg View Post
One should not exaggerate mark hysteria with calipers, not with anything else either. If you have money then, however, the best known brands is usually a safe bet qualitatively. The big problem is lack of knowledge of what to do. A large kalipper is better than a small one, is often thought of as a recipes, which is not right. Racing brakes should be kept at the right temperature and the wrong size, both small and large, can create anomalies. If you use no power assist so it is important with low flexe in the cliper, otherwise you get bad pedal at large hydraulic ratios. Flex in the caliper can be measured with a dial indicator. For a car that runs a lot on open roads and on tracks sometimes, a larger brake system may be better if using more normal brake linings as these works from cooler operating temperatures.
It's a model specific tool for MX5s, but I thought this tool might be of interest, with regards to things like brake bias, pedal force and temperatures:

http://blackartracing.zxq.net/Brakes/Index.php
Old 29 Jun 2014, 18:25 (Ref:3428030)   #55
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try Hi Spec good value
Old 2 Jul 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3429439)   #56
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
My Wilwoods still giving good service on both cars, I went to EBC Orange pads briefly as no Wilwood pads available at short notice, never again, the things actually melted through the back plate and the pad collapsed it contributed to a crash I had at Donington as I couldn't pull the car up at the chicane, back to Wilwood now!
Old 5 Jul 2014, 02:44 (Ref:3430439)   #57
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally found better results with Hawk over Wilwood pads (use their calipers though) but yes, EBC are not for real racers...
(Although I used them 10 years ago on my Suzuki GTi, but that was 850kg all up and about 100hp at the wheels, so brakes were not an issue!)