Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 5 Jun 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2475678)   #1
MattC
Rookie

MattC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of Pontiac :(

Another casualty of the economic crisis, but I wonder if the brand could get reintroduced later on if GM recovers? With Chevy, Cadillac and Buick alone they are limited marketing wise.

Pontiac 1926-2009

Old 7 Jun 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2476779)   #2
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A shame but surely it doesn't have to be the end of the brand, I don't see they need to have 5 different brands all with full lines of vehicles, they could be more like the Audi model with different brands focused on different market sectors. Then again this is the company (GM) that made 4 or was it 5 different 350ci V8's...
Old 19 Jun 2009, 04:47 (Ref:2486342)   #3
Speedislife
Rookie

United States
Nebraska
Speedislife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GM HAD to cut back to stay afloat. Too many of their US models (especially Pontiacs, Buicks, and Oldsmobiles) were merely badge-engineered Chevrolets. For instance, the Bonneville in the advertisment above was a badge-engineered Chevrolet Caprice. You can't have 4 or 5 of the same model under different nameplates competing for sales with each other and remain economically viable in the current financial market. I'm surprised that they got away with it for as long as they did.

Actually, I think it's Chevrolet, Cadillac and GMC (truck-only division) that are surviving. Isn't Buick going by the wayside also? I know Oldsmobile is already dead, and Saturn is on the way out (possibly to be picked up by Penske).
Old 11 Jul 2009, 00:32 (Ref:2499242)   #4
MattC
Rookie

I would say that a Skoda Superb is a rebadged Audi A6, badge engineering is alive and well in the 21st century. I can't understand why they didn't kill Buick instead, because they already have Cadillac for luxury (which is better known as a brand globally) and the end of Pontiac means they can't bring back the GTO, which is one of the best known nameplates of all time.

I had a nightmare of Obama and Pelosi riding a Fiat 500 on the Whitehouse lawn, planning to rename the country France. It could happen.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 02:12 (Ref:2499262)   #5
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
A shame but surely it doesn't have to be the end of the brand, I don't see they need to have 5 different brands all with full lines of vehicles, they could be more like the Audi model with different brands focused on different market sectors. Then again this is the company (GM) that made 4 or was it 5 different 350ci V8's...
They also made a 346ci V8 just for the Australian market.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 20:57 (Ref:2502473)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
Yes, also two 455s and a 454. And two 400s and the 396, which became 402ci. Also home to the 302, 305, and 307. Those were the good days though... as little sense as it makes, I miss each division developing their own engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
I would say that a Skoda Superb is a rebadged Audi A6, badge engineering is alive and well in the 21st century. I can't understand why they didn't kill Buick instead, because they already have Cadillac for luxury (which is better known as a brand globally) and the end of Pontiac means they can't bring back the GTO, which is one of the best known nameplates of all time.
They did and it unfortunately didn't go over very well. People want retro. I think it's trite myself...
Old 28 Jul 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2509854)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest I have always been amazed that the likes of GM Ford and Dodge have always had more than one arm in the US.

IN the UK Leyland tried this approach and found it impossible to maintian, due largely to some appalling decision making and strike action admittedly.

Having so many different brands under one huge arm must be insane with regard to logistics and money.

Am amazed it has lasted like this for so long co0z no otehr manufacturers really do it this way.

OK VW own firms but they bought a brand not marketed their brand with a different name
Old 28 Jul 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2510040)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
To be honest I have always been amazed that the likes of GM Ford and Dodge have always had more than one arm in the US.

IN the UK Leyland tried this approach and found it impossible to maintian, due largely to some appalling decision making and strike action admittedly.

Having so many different brands under one huge arm must be insane with regard to logistics and money.

Am amazed it has lasted like this for so long co0z no otehr manufacturers really do it this way.

OK VW own firms but they bought a brand not marketed their brand with a different name
Other manufacturers do it that way with their premium brands like Lexus and Acura.

Here in the USA, GM once owned 50% of the market. So there was a need for multiple brands catering to different incomes and tastes. Now with their huge decline in percentage of the market, a lot of those brands are not needed anymore.
Old 28 Jul 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2510228)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes I am aware of that, what I meant was not so much NLexus and Acura more the many different brands of GM

Am I right in thinking at one time they had Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac and Cadillac? Oldsmobile? Aswell as Vauxhall and Opel, Holden in Oz.

Within Leyland at any one time there was Morris, Austin, MG, Triumph, Jaguar, Daimler, Rover and maybe more!! All making similar cars to subtely different markets

I can understand Lexus trying to rebrand, but Honda just rebadged everything in the US that was sold as Honda elsewhere! People arent stupid. Lexus at least make different cars to Toyota as much as they can And I am presuming Infiniti are doing the same for Nissan?

A maker with so many different brands that in these times simply dont appeal to the punter has to lose a few arms!!
Old 25 Aug 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2528250)   #10
MattC
Rookie

At one time Pontiac offered things you coudn't get on the Chevrolet version, like a turbo and 4 wheel disc brakes. This decade there was talk of aiming Pontiac at BMW and the Pontiac G8 (rebadged Holden Commodore V8) was a great rear drive budget M5.

1982, when the world was young.

Old 26 Aug 2009, 01:00 (Ref:2528276)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
There will soon be a limited edition Commodore SSV ( the top-range 'sporty' model) released featuring some 'spare' Pontiac G8 parts.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2535036)   #12
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading up on GM's "hybrid" and "flex-fuel" options - their "AFV" range (alternative fuel vehicles), there is a Pontiac on the list.

IIRC, they said they will badge some hotter models Pontiac's, without having to run different factories and lines.
Old 14 Sep 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2540676)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so whats happening to the Pontiac acing programme?
Old 19 Sep 2009, 04:32 (Ref:2543701)   #14
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
so whats happening to the Pontiac acing programme?
Pretty much axed with the rest of GM's programs. They (GM) are still supporting Nascar and Corvette Racing, but that's it. In Grand Am, the cars are being relabled as Chevys but with no factory support.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 00:01 (Ref:2561636)   #15
MattC
Rookie

I am starting to believe Pontiac's demise was caused by the bad karma started by the 1983 movie Smokey & The Bandit Part 3. Any day a Trans Am has to share the silver screen with a plastic fish is not a good one.

Snowman impersonating Bandit...OMG!!
Old 15 Oct 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2561645)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
It's hard to follow the GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2561789)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
I am starting to believe Pontiac's demise was caused by the bad karma started by the 1983 movie Smokey & The Bandit Part 3. Any day a Trans Am has to share the silver screen with a plastic fish is not a good one.

Snowman impersonating Bandit...OMG!!
Carefull Matt I've just bought the Trilogy boxset and dont want the plot spoiled for STBP3. Thanks
Old 15 Oct 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2562035)   #18
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Carefull Matt I've just bought the Trilogy boxset and dont want the plot spoiled for STBP3. Thanks
LOL... The Pursuit Pack is a must have for any man.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2566003)   #19
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It's hard to follow the GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE.
Do you mean Smokey & the Bandit 1 or 2???
Old 28 Nov 2009, 00:43 (Ref:2590520)   #20
MattC
Rookie

Quote:
I shouldn't assume everyone has enjoyed that masterpiece, but I can say this without spoiling the plot. Originally the movie was planned and shot as "Smokey Is The Bandit". And I stress "Is" because Jackie Gleason was to play Buford, AND the Bandit, thus he is pursuing himself. They used some new fangled "blue screen" or "blue ray" or god only knows what it was called tech to allow Gleason to realistically appear on screen as the two characters simultaneously. Unfortunately preview audiences hurled mightily, so they reshot the movie as the masterpiece Smokey & The Bandit Part 3...enjoy...

On the plus side the movie does contain Colleen Camp.