Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Apr 2011, 22:41 (Ref:2868774)   #26
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
None taken Eduardo, I have had many, many conversations with Mr Berghouse over the years and they generally do a competent job but don't always get the behind the scenes stuff right.

I can only offer word of mouth from one of the TEGA directors of the time and I'm not prepared to name names so I have no issue with you going with the Chevron version.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 01:11 (Ref:2869821)   #27
Kiwikid
Racer

Kiwikid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
None taken Eduardo, I have had many, many conversations with Mr Berghouse over the years and they generally do a competent job but don't always get the behind the scenes stuff right.

I can only offer word of mouth from one of the TEGA directors of the time and I'm not prepared to name names so I have no issue with you going with the Chevron version.
Tourer, I am informed by "those that know" that SEL acquired IMG's share as part of a severance deal for James E and Tony C (both employees of IMG at the time).

My contact tells me this happened at the end of 1997, and IMG kept the rights to promote Bathurst but, "sold" SEL the shareholding in AVESCO. He believes that value paid was $50K!
Old 26 Apr 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2869822)   #28
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikid View Post
Tourer, I am informed by "those that know" that SEL acquired IMG's share as part of a severance deal for James E and Tony C (both employees of IMG at the time).

My contact tells me this happened at the end of 1997, and IMG kept the rights to promote Bathurst but, "sold" SEL the shareholding in AVESCO. He believes that value paid was $50K!
Hi Kiwikid - I have been told the same amount, which was explained to me as an agreement to pay expenses incurred by IMG, rather than to buy a share. When the company was set up, it was SEL that had a shareholding from the start is what I am told.

Don't know if all this will be covered in the book but could make for some interesting reading if it is - sounds like a fair bit of "fancy footwork" going on at the time/
Old 8 May 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2877090)   #29
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EXCLUSIVE!!!!

Well there Ladies and Gentlemen I happened to have had a sneek peak at this book over the weekend and I must say it is going to make for a good read, once I get my hands on it for longer than 20 minutes.

I didn't have long with the book, but for what I quickly skimmed thru, some interesting tid-bits about a few of the players who have come and gone over the years, the formation of it past, present and future, background to international events and local events, info on some of the day to day op's and some good photography to match. And some good history for those who like to look back.

And at the risk of blowing my trumpet, I found that I make an appearance on a couple of pages. You can't make me out, which is a good thing for me and those who don't know me, but I know which events they're from and know that I was there. How's that!!

I'm told it will be on the shelves in the weeks leading up to Father's Day.
Old 19 May 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2882531)   #30
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone catch the latest RPM?

They showed Barry Sheene interviewing Tony Cochrane in 1997. Tony explains that he and James Erskine have left IMG to form their own company.

This, if nothing else, indicates that the forming of SEL was after IMG's initial involvement with V8 Supercars.

So if IMG was not involved through the closing months of '96 to early '97, then who was?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2899149)   #31
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The book will be on sale in August. Just in time for Father's Day.

Interesting read so far with the copy that fell of the back of truck into my hands....
Old 15 Jun 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2899159)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
The book will be on sale in August. Just in time for Father's Day.

Interesting read so far with the copy that fell of the back of truck into my hands....
Is it all PC.. or is there actually new stuff to read about?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Jun 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2899830)   #33
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Some of it I'd say would have had the PC police go over to make sure some stuff doesn't make it out, but then some other stuff that you wouldn't expect, like a whole chapter (only couple of pages) on our crazy friend Mr Gore.

So far I've done the quick flick read (look at each page and photo) and bits that have caught my eye I've stopped and had a read. Getting stuck into it over the next couple of days as it only landed in my hands at the start of the week.

As I go thru it, I'll put up some posts about what I read, without letting the cat out of the bag.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 00:07 (Ref:2899881)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I hope there will be a bookstore somewhere to buy it from. With the demise and closure of A&R and Borders stores... a huge chunk of the retail supply chain has been destroyed...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Jun 2011, 03:13 (Ref:2899924)   #35
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highly likely you'll see it on the shelves at Target/Kmart/BigW at 35% off RRP.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2922695)   #36
piston509
Rookie

piston509 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These comments amaze me! You all get stuck into something you haven't seen.

I have seen it and read it twice. Lomas sticks it in to Cochrane in certain areas including the stuffed up Canberra debacle and chapter 14 is a O'Rielly/ Hewson and
Cochrane War. I don't know how he did it but he get's all the main players to cough their guts up. Lomas you have created a great read and the Dirk guys photography is the hottest!
Old 6 Jul 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2922712)   #37
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston509 View Post

I have seen it and read it twice. Lomas sticks it in to Cochrane in certain areas including the stuffed up Canberra debacle and chapter 14 is a O'Rielly/ Hewson and
Cochrane War. I don't know how he did it but he get's all the main players to cough their guts up. Lomas you have created a great read and the Dirk guys photography is the hottest!
History is written by the winners. DId it really point out how they absoluotley hate the sight of each other?

Just like question to an ex polie, answer with an answer.

like all forms of media, "they tell you what you think you need to know, not what you realy need to know"

Last edited by fomoco; 6 Jul 2011 at 08:54. Reason: missed something
Old 6 Jul 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2922769)   #38
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

No, I have not read it yet, but it is by Gordon Lomas after all. His newspaper columns always read like a VESA press release.

Welcome to the forum. I look foward to your next post.
Old 6 Jul 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2923101)   #39
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stay tuned for Paul Gover's new book too... I've only gone few the first few pages and I learned a fair few things.
Old 7 Jul 2011, 00:55 (Ref:2923118)   #40
piston509
Rookie

The V8 Book

I have followed this sport as a spectator and participant for 30 years and have wanted to see a book like this for ages, but no one had the gut's to write it truthfully. Lomas has done that, I am sure that he is not on the Christmas card list of a few people particularly Kelvin Orielly and John Hewson. This book is warts and all and it amazes me with it's content, which is contoversial, that it is an official V8Supercar product. I bet TC did not know what was going to be written before he made it an official product. The quotes of Orielly and Cochrane between each other are venomous. And the chapter on Gore is an assisnation well aimed. They have also put in the back a pile of fact pages about different elements of the sport which I found quite enlightning. If you are a V8 fan I can tell you it's worth the 50 bucks.
Old 7 Jul 2011, 06:11 (Ref:2923143)   #41
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
... I am sure that he is not on the Christmas card list of a few people particularly Kelvin Orielly and John Hewson.
Given how O'Reilly and Hewson ended their association with Tony Cochrane/V8Supercars, the fact that those two aren't portrayed favourably in the book is hardly an argument for how balanced the book might be.....

Does the book give a balanced view on the "no saced sites" battle of Bathurst? What about the HRT ownership saga?
Old 7 Jul 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2923145)   #42
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What do Hewson and O'Reilly even do these days?
Old 7 Jul 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2923163)   #43
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
Stay tuned for Paul Gover's new book too... I've only gone few the first few pages and I learned a fair few things.
More info on this book please?
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:23 (Ref:2924882)   #44
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I bet TC did not know what was going to be written before he made it an official product.
Yeah right!
Old 12 Jul 2011, 23:17 (Ref:2925821)   #45
piston509
Rookie

I went to Townsville on the weekend and spoke to a few people that I know who had also seen the book including a team manager and a few drivers. All reports from them is they think it is well wriiten and controversial in sections. They also confer with me that the pictorial content is great! They tell me that it goes on Sale on the 1st August
Old 12 Jul 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2925824)   #46
piston509
Rookie

Hewson sits on a few boards and O'rielly is involved with some marketing company at Mermaid Waters on the Gold Coast
Old 13 Jul 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2926009)   #47
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I went to Townsville on the weekend and spoke to a few people that I know who had also seen the book including a team manager and a few drivers. All reports from them is they think it is well wriiten and controversial in sections. They also confer with me that the pictorial content is great! They tell me that it goes on Sale on the 1st August
I trust you are the author, because that's a bit embarrassingly gushing if not...
Old 13 Jul 2011, 23:43 (Ref:2926275)   #48
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds more like a Publisher's PR ?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2945412)   #49
888_Fan
Racer

888_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on this book? It was supposed to be released in August...with September just around the corner, thought we would have heard about it by now....
Old 25 Aug 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2945415)   #50
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
been out for weeks...