Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Aug 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2943248)   #1
Ross Cadell
Racer

Ross Cadell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it is his series but......

Guys and Gals,

It may be his series but I would think that Mr Ward may be in massive trouble for his actions today.

If you don't want to race, that is what pit lane is for. I understand his motives but its like a cricket captain walking on field during a test match and declaring play over for bad light. These are things we have stewards or umpires for.

Aside from possible official sanction I would think it may be a cold day in the most thermally challenging parts of hell before V8 Television decides to give them a live broadcast again.

Your thoughts?

Rossco
Old 20 Aug 2011, 08:25 (Ref:2943249)   #2
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing like some light comedy to enliven a live race coverage.

The competitiors at the back who took off when the red went out and the yellow came on could have been more than comedy.

Despite the theatrics no one went off on the first lap and they sure as hell didn't look like they were taking it easy.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2943250)   #3
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was simply showing to a wider audience what many of us in motorsport have known for years.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 08:49 (Ref:2943253)   #4
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Highlights? I missed the telecast.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2943254)   #5
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Cadell View Post
Guys and Gals,

It may be his series but I would think that Mr Ward may be in massive trouble for his actions today....

Your thoughts?

Rossco

and... for those of us that missed the telecast......
Old 20 Aug 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2943257)   #6
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found it

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/08/20/...at-race-start/

Yes, well, hmmmm......
Old 20 Aug 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2943258)   #7
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This story covers it for those who didn't see the telecast
Old 20 Aug 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2943263)   #8
pascofi m-sport
Racer

Australia
pascofi m-sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't see the race, but have just read the story.

Phil Ward had a good point, as the boss, he had to make his voice heard, and the V8 series management had the balls to whinge and haul him up to race control later.

If all the competitors are siding with Ward, then the officials are holding a bucket which has become a colander, a very weak case.

Does anyone agree?
Old 20 Aug 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2943265)   #9
Ross Cadell
Racer

from a couple of conversations I had with some steerers I think the phrase would be best said as "most competitors agreed with me.....to my face"

Mate the category management ends at just that. Race control is not in his jurisdiction and the number of incidents in the race shows that race control was correct and Mr Ward was incorrect.

I feel he should be given the rough end of the pineapple.

Rossco
Old 20 Aug 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2943278)   #10
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pure farce, just amazing!
Old 20 Aug 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2943332)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of the more ridiculous things I've seen in motorsport. Here's a link to the whole start if you want to have a look-see... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQPhgvVOGHY
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Aug 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2943479)   #12
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Completely ridiculous!

This is a good example to show the reasons behind why we have guys independent from the race administrating and running it - why there must be one unbiased decision which is final and irrefutable, and that is so that there is order and discipline and everyone knows what's happening. When one competitor decides to change what's happening, whether he runs the series or not, the system falls apart. Whether it is the right or wrong decision is immaterial compared to the utter chaos that gets caused otherwise as demonstrated here.

As a result hope he gets a good talking-to at least for doing that, causing confusion and creating danger unnecessarily. If he wants control over the race and the say over whether it happens or not, he shouldn't be taking part in it! He should have come into the pits if he didn't like the conditions. And if the other competitors didn't like the conditions either they should have come in too.

Last edited by dyewat808; 20 Aug 2011 at 22:02.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 00:12 (Ref:2943520)   #13
Ross Cadell
Racer

from the aussie racing cars website

Following the incident at yesterday's FW1 Aussie Racing Cars race at Queensland

Raceway, Aussie Racing Cars management team have decided that competitor, Phil Ward will be withdrawn from the competition and stand down from his Category role.

CAMS and Aussie Racing Cars Category Management are in the process of conducting independent inquiries.

The existing Category management team of Brad and James Ward have confirmed the FW1 Aussie Racing Cars Super Series will continue as scheduled.

It is our understanding that Phil Ward's actions as a competitor were designed to alert the other competitors and officials that there was oil on the circuit of which they may not have been aware. Whilst this may have been considered to be meritorious, Aussie Racing Cars management have deemed his course of action not to have been in the best interests of the various stakeholders.

This decision has been made by Aussie Racing Cars management who would like to reiterate that no pressure has been applied by any other motor racing body or organisation.

For all media enquiries please contact the Category Manager, Brad Ward on

0404 052 878.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2943524)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sounds like an attempt to placate CAMS in advance, to help alleviate a harsh punishment that is surely coming

So... what are the surnames of the new Category Managers again?

Oh Spherix... where are you... Spherix...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Aug 2011, 00:49 (Ref:2943529)   #15
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on him, he took the safety of his fellow competitors over the need for the puppets in race control to keep up the TV broadcast schedule.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 01:41 (Ref:2943539)   #16
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was insane
Old 21 Aug 2011, 05:20 (Ref:2943566)   #17
Ross Cadell
Racer

It is happening

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/08/21/...nto-disrepute/

methinks the pineapple is being lubricated as we wait.

Cheers

Rossco
Old 21 Aug 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2943603)   #18
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
Good on him, he took the safety of his fellow competitors over the need for the puppets in race control to keep up the TV broadcast schedule.
The track was slippery in HIS opinion but they didn't touch the track after his complaint and funnily enough no one seemed to have any issues on that part of the track once they eventually got the race started.

It may come as a complete surprise to some but most times the people runing THIER race track know it better than a driver who races there once a year.

He has a history of doing this and attempting to threaten junior officials.

He tried the guys on at Winton during a Friday practice a few years ago but the Stewards didn't want to know about it when they turned up the next day.

At least one member on this forum was involved but I'll leave it to him if he chooses to weigh into this.

Didn't he have a suspended sentence hanging over him at one stage??
Old 21 Aug 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2943608)   #19
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Completely ridiculous!

This is a good example to show the reasons behind why we have guys independent from the race administrating and running it - why there must be one unbiased decision which is final and irrefutable, and that is so that there is order and discipline and everyone knows what's happening. When one competitor decides to change what's happening, whether he runs the series or not, the system falls apart. Whether it is the right or wrong decision is immaterial compared to the utter chaos that gets caused otherwise as demonstrated here.

As a result hope he gets a good talking-to at least for doing that, causing confusion and creating danger unnecessarily. If he wants control over the race and the say over whether it happens or not, he shouldn't be taking part in it! He should have come into the pits if he didn't like the conditions. And if the other competitors didn't like the conditions either they should have come in too.
Exactly.It would be hoped that it goes further than a good talking to-- all the issues relating to that CMA need to be investigated.
Old 21 Aug 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2943616)   #20
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
This decision has been made by Aussie Racing Cars management who would like to reiterate that no pressure has been applied by any other motor racing body or organisation.
Haha yeah right!
Old 21 Aug 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2943870)   #21
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to so many race meetings where cars have dropped oil in the middle of races and the guys during the race and even the proceeding race have been able to drive around it without any issue. That's even after I've just exhausted myself trying to assist in cleaning it up.

He just went too far in this case...... But I suppose that what happens when you put on helmet, it turns that reasonable judgement switch off on the back your head.

This will cost ARC more than they think, especially since they've been on the outter-circle of support catagories.

As a side note, I'd like to give Cam McConville the "Commentry one liner of the year award" for his "if you're just tuning in at home, yes this is professional motor racing". Just gold Cam!!

I think we can safely assume who takes the "Golden C%$k" award home......
Old 22 Aug 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2944160)   #22
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
He was simply showing to a wider audience what many of us in motorsport have known for years.
I think that this is the best summation of the entire situation.

As for the drivers all siding with Phil, heres a question for you to answer: Where do you buy Aussie Racer parts from? Here is a hint, it is best to keep the only and sole supplier on-side if you want to continue racing in the category

And that is where I will end my involvement in this thread
Old 22 Aug 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2944467)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
As a side note, I'd like to give Cam McConville the "Commentry one liner of the year award" for his "if you're just tuning in at home, yes this is professional motor racing". Just gold Cam!!
Except that it was completely untrue... The only guy in the Aussie Racing Car field that makes any money out of it is P.Ward.

Phil is an excellent engineer... He makes excellent race cars, and has created the basis for a fantastic series in Aussie Racing Cars. He was also a pretty handy steerer in his time.

Unfortunately, he does not have the business, commercial or diplomatic nous to manage all aspects of a category. Most of those around the sport have known it for ages - the only one who hasn't is Phil... Perhaps until now...

And I can't blame him... He has sunk a hell of a lot of time, effort and money into the business over the years - it is his baby and I completely understand that he wants to run it, and have control over all aspects of it.

There would be considerable fear over hiring someone external and having them run your baby into the ground - like so many other categories have had done to them over the years.

Would Aussie Racing Cars be the largest manufacturer of racing cars in Australian history if Ward wasn't in charge?

Would there still be 39 car fields after nearly a decade if Ward wasn't in charge? Many many support categories have been and gone in that time...

Who knows!? However, it has been my opinion for some time that it would be a sound investment for Aussie Racing Cars to hire a Category Manager - they wouldn't even need to be full time... Just someone that has a solid grip on both the sporting and commercial side of motor sport - with the right person at the helm, I think the series could be the most popular non-V8 series in the country.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 04:46 (Ref:2944518)   #24
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Goneski.....but for how longski??
Old 23 Aug 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2944868)   #25
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Would Aussie Racing Cars be the largest manufacturer of racing cars in Australian history if Ward wasn't in charge?

Would there still be 39 car fields after nearly a decade if Ward wasn't in charge? Many many support categories have been and gone in that time...

Who knows!? However, it has been my opinion for some time that it would be a sound investment for Aussie Racing Cars to hire a Category Manager - they wouldn't even need to be full time... Just someone that has a solid grip on both the sporting and commercial side of motor sport - with the right person at the helm, I think the series could be the most popular non-V8 series in the country.
Well said Mac...

Whether you like Phil Ward or not, appreciate the politics involved in the category or not & whether you think what he did was right or not his passion for the class he helped build & develop is obvious.

It is time for a professional category manager to come in & help restore the reputation of the class now though & possibly help with providing better sponsorship / media exposure opportunities too.

Long live Aussie Race Cars