Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Oct 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2974207)   #1
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectating at Sydney for the V8 Supercars

Hi guys. I have watched V8 Supercars on the TV for many years but Im thinking about coming over to Sydney in Nov/Dec which coincides with the race there. Is it a good track to spectate at and if so, which are the best seats in the house at reasonable prices? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 20 Oct 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2974520)   #2
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny1664 View Post
Is it a good track to spectate at
unless you are in a grandstand, no

if you are going for a grandstand, make sure it is one with shade, as that time of the year if the sun is out you will look like a HRT driving suit without protection, and it could get pretty hot.

if you get a 3 day pass, recommend you get the paddock access pass also, very interesting to see the V8's. However, paddock access for all other categories is already free with your gate pass...
Old 21 Oct 2011, 02:55 (Ref:2974573)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
unless you are in a grandstand, no
Even in the granstands can you see anything more than 1 corner?
Old 21 Oct 2011, 05:07 (Ref:2974583)   #4
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I wouldn't think so. Nature of the beast for street circuts. Hope they have lots of large screens so you can follow the racing.
Old 21 Oct 2011, 05:11 (Ref:2974584)   #5
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
some you could see at least 2
Old 21 Oct 2011, 07:09 (Ref:2974602)   #6
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Benny, I got free tickets including passes to pit lane and left feeling I got ripped off! A complete and utter waste of time and money from the spectator and state government IMHO. Stay home and watch it in comfort. I must say the public transport was great. I watched the first 25 laps and was on the train and home in time to see the end of the race.
Wrong location at Homebush. It needed to be in a more open, spectator friendly location similar to Clipsal. There is precious little respite from the sun on a hot day beating down from above or being reflected up by the pavers under foot.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2975002)   #7
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
some you could see at least 2
would that be the first part of the chicane, and then the second part
Old 23 Oct 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2975416)   #8
Benny1664
Racer

Benny1664 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys, it seems like the TVs the way to go then!
Old 23 Oct 2011, 22:45 (Ref:2975760)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny1664 View Post
Thanks guys, it seems like the TVs the way to go then!
It depends what you want to see.

The layout of the facility is such that there is an enormous Merchandise Alley in the centre of the complex, where all the teams are selling their merchandise.

There was a major Harley Davidson new model exhibition, where anyone could go sit upon their latest offerings and get photos taken, and nobody would get narky.

There were brand new Ford roadcars on display, with spokesmodels offering all manner of statistics and important information, again nobody getting narky.

Plenty of food eating, Ribs & Rumps had a mobile stand with the queue a mile long to get some great steak for example.

And then the race cars! In a couple of the main halls, there are exhibitions of cars of past eras, such as Green Eyed Monster, a Brock race winner or two, historically relevant motor racing vehicles... all able to have pics taken with...

Plus the pit paddocks for the GT cars, the Fujitsu series cars, the Utes and Porsches all right there for you to get very up close and personal with.

And the main game. Their pit garage complex isnt much to get excited about, but their paddock is brilliant. All the trucks are parked inside the hall, lined up perfectly in a row. The teams have sectioned off their preparation areas as if they were in a pit lane somewhere. The great unwashed (i.e. you and me) can watch these guys work from the front and the back of their work areas. All day if you like. The team people, drivers, team managers.. are all around this space with their cars, working on making them faster, plotting the acquisition of new sponsors, just getting pics taken with the fans!

The racing is fine to watch from almost anywhere. A grandstand seat is good but just as with any other venue the series goes to, shows a specific part of the circuit and that's it! You dont generally see better at Clipsal, or at the AGP or the Gold Coast Indy.

The atmosphere is usually pretty good.. concert in the night time... public transport by a dedicated rail system to probably the best railway station in the Sydney system...

It depends what you want from a weekend...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Oct 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2975781)   #10
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice positive write up there GTR
Old 24 Oct 2011, 02:35 (Ref:2975812)   #11
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

The layout of the facility is such that there is an enormous Merchandise Alley in the centre of the complex, where all the teams are selling their merchandise.

There was a major Harley Davidson new model exhibition, where anyone could go sit upon their latest offerings and get photos taken, and nobody would get narky.

There were brand new Ford roadcars on display, with spokesmodels offering all manner of statistics and important information, again nobody getting narky.

Plenty of food eating, Ribs & Rumps had a mobile stand with the queue a mile long to get some great steak for example.

And then the race cars! In a couple of the main halls, there are exhibitions of cars of past eras, such as Green Eyed Monster, a Brock race winner or two, historically relevant motor racing vehicles... all able to have pics taken with...

Plus the pit paddocks for the GT cars, the Fujitsu series cars, the Utes and Porsches all right there for you to get very up close and personal with.

And the main game. Their pit garage complex isnt much to get excited about, but their paddock is brilliant. All the trucks are parked inside the hall, lined up perfectly in a row. The teams have sectioned off their preparation areas as if they were in a pit lane somewhere. The great unwashed (i.e. you and me) can watch these guys work from the front and the back of their work areas. All day if you like. The team people, drivers, team managers.. are all around this space with their cars, working on making them faster, plotting the acquisition of new sponsors, just getting pics taken with the fans!

The racing is fine to watch from almost anywhere. A grandstand seat is good but just as with any other venue the series goes to, shows a specific part of the circuit and that's it! You dont generally see better at Clipsal, or at the AGP or the Gold Coast Indy.

The atmosphere is usually pretty good.. concert in the night time... public transport by a dedicated rail system to probably the best railway station in the Sydney system...

About the way I saw it last year GTR.

I was even thinking about returning this year.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 03:03 (Ref:2975816)   #12
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

my bold for emphasis

this is all well and good, but depends whether you go there to watch the racing, OR, do the harley salesmen/merch/paddock/car display/line-up-for-ribs. If you want to do any of these things, you can't watch the racing on the track (of the one section you are sitting/standing at), and the time it takes to walk from the stand you are in/rare non-stand spot you can see anything to any of the above also takes time. As an event, yes it ticks all the boxes, as for spectating at a car race as per the opening post, stay at home
Old 24 Oct 2011, 03:20 (Ref:2975818)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
my bold for emphasis

this is all well and good, but depends whether you go there to watch the racing, OR, do the harley salesmen/merch/paddock/car display/line-up-for-ribs. If you want to do any of these things, you can't watch the racing on the track (of the one section you are sitting/standing at), and the time it takes to walk from the stand you are in/rare non-stand spot you can see anything to any of the above also takes time. As an event, yes it ticks all the boxes, as for spectating at a car race as per the opening post, stay at home
I would argue that standing on top of the hill at Bathurst shows you only the entry and exit of a corner.. sure you can camp behind it, and put your fridge full of beers there with your mates.. but you really dont get to see much of the actual 'racing' piece unless you are placed right in front of a big screen.. or brought a genset to keep the plasma running, as many this year seemed to do.

Very few circuits show the whole layout.. I suspect QR & Winton are probably the best at this, being relatively flat, and you can walk pretty much all the way round them. But the tracks themselves are not the most interesting, nor possessing the highest level of facilities in the land. No high speeds really either...

If you want your kids to get photographed in front of a real race car, and just maybe with a real race pilot.. Homebush is the place to do it..
Old 24 Oct 2011, 03:53 (Ref:2975822)   #14
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GA at Homebush is considerably worse than either Adelaide or Surfers and there is simply no comparison with Albert Park which is in another far higher category than the other street circiuts for GA viewing.The stands are what you pay for and I wouldadvise anyone to pay the extra to get a covered stand.Looking at available seating on Ticketek it is interesting to note that ticket sales are way down this year.The stands that were sold out or largely sold out in the first few days/weeks in the previous 2 years have plenty of seats left for sale.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 07:47 (Ref:2975878)   #15
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of Ribs & Rumps, as GTR was, whilst you're in the mile long queue for food you may get to see the fabulous XXXX Angels !
If you are really lucky they will sign their calendar pictures for you, because they are so famous !
Old 24 Oct 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2975891)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Speaking of Ribs & Rumps, as GTR was, whilst you're in the mile long queue for food you may get to see the fabulous XXXX Angels !
If you are really lucky they will sign their calendar pictures for you, because they are so famous !
Will the XXXX Angels make it to Homebush? Was really different to watch the IndyV8 weekend and not see the yellow brand all over everything...
Old 24 Oct 2011, 22:28 (Ref:2976290)   #17
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
I would argue that standing on top of the hill at Bathurst shows you only the entry and exit of a corner.. sure you can camp behind it, and put your fridge full of beers there with your mates.. but you really dont get to see much of the actual 'racing' piece unless you are placed right in front of a big screen.. or brought a genset to keep the plasma running, as many this year seemed to do.

Very few circuits show the whole layout.. I suspect QR & Winton are probably the best at this, being relatively flat, and you can walk pretty much all the way round them. But the tracks themselves are not the most interesting, nor possessing the highest level of facilities in the land. No high speeds really either...

If you want your kids to get photographed in front of a real race car, and just maybe with a real race pilot.. Homebush is the place to do it..
Bathurst you can at least usually see 100m either direction from where you are standing...
Old 24 Oct 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2976316)   #18
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Will the XXXX Angels make it to Homebush? Was really different to watch the IndyV8 weekend and not see the yellow brand all over everything...
One of the XXXX Angels was working in promotions for a local radio station at the track (the one with the blonde frizzy hair - she always looked a bit scary to me)

They were missing from Qld Raceway as well this year
Old 24 Oct 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2976325)   #19
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
One of the XXXX Angels was working in promotions for a local radio station at the track (the one with the blonde frizzy hair - she always looked a bit scary to me)

They were missing from Qld Raceway as well this year
No major loss as they are getting fairly repetitious.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 03:43 (Ref:2976361)   #20
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
No major loss as they are getting fairly repetitious.
that indicates you have actually sat through more than 1 performance.

can i ask how you managed to maintain concentration and not just walk away?
Old 25 Oct 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2976363)   #21
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

My wife has strong powers of persuasion.
Old 25 Oct 2011, 04:12 (Ref:2976368)   #22
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Quote:

The mind boggles at the implications that could be read from that statement!!
Old 25 Oct 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2976813)   #23
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
oooh err Guvna!!!!
Old 25 Oct 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2976832)   #24
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My wife doesn't need them............
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19