Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Nov 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2979886)   #26
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I started going to Bathurst in 1967 and have been to every race since 1971 so from the perspective of a trackside viewer the emphasis needs to be on close competition throughout the race preferably between makes and with the finish not completely orchestrated by a late safety car rendering the first 140 laps irrelevant.My picks in chronological order are 1973,1985,1990,1995,2001,2004 and 2011.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 00:18 (Ref:2979891)   #27
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After further thought scratch 2011 from that list.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 05:48 (Ref:2979966)   #28
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My three, in no particular order:

2010: For Skaife and Lowndes finally beating the Mountain together. I was there for that moment, and needless to say it is something I will not forget for a long time to come, the emotion, and the fact that nearly everybody in the crowd was willing them on those last few laps.

2006: Another Lowndes victory, I nominate this because it was such an emotional day for Craig. It had the most heartfelt result for one and the most heartbreaking result for another, with Skaife crashing on the first lap.

1993/1995/1997: Too hard to separate these three Perkins victories, '93 for the absolute sprint that the race was between car 2 and car 11, '95 for that sensational last to first (and for Seton's fractured fairytale), and '97, being the "last" race for Peter Brock...

Obviously being a young fella I have picked more recent races, but I will give an honourable mention to:

2011: That last stint by Craig Lowndes was something else. I don't think we will see anything like that for many years.

1977/1978: For Ford to win so emphatically one year, and for the General to get their **** together and trounce them the next, back when manufacturers raced to sell cars, and not the other way around.

1970/1971/1972: For Moffat, Brock, and numerous others to do the entire race by themselves.

1990: For the little Commodore beating the turbocharged monsters of the Group A days.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Nov 2011, 06:14 (Ref:2979974)   #29
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Best Bathursts???........Group A years prior to the current category.
Old 1 Nov 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2980088)   #30
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1990 - Gricey gets his second
1995 - Perkins worst to first

1984 keeps on getting mentioned on posts, and I don't get it. What was so appealing about a race where the winner controlled the race all day and won by a lap?
Old 1 Nov 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2980360)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
suddenly i relised that this forum is full of old men with failing memories
Old 2 Nov 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2980431)   #32
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
[
1984 keeps on getting mentioned on posts, and I don't get it. What was so appealing about a race where the winner controlled the race all day and won by a lap?[/QUOTE] I tend to agree that alot of peoples picks have more to do with a misty eyed view of history rather than any accurate memory of the race.Many Bathurst races in the Group C era were so 1 sided that you knew the winner an hour after the start. Even if the obvious winner fell over (eg Brock in 74 with a 6 lap lead) hours of relative tedium as far as the lead of the race was concerned resulted.Years that fall into this category were 70,71,74,77,78,79,82,84,87(pre disqualifications),91,92,97,03and 08.Even tough these races had some of Bathurst's greatest individual performances as races they weren't compelling entertainment.The compensation in the Group C era was there was a lot of interest in the small car classes and even if outright was a done deal there were stii great battles to be had-2 litre class in 77 being perhaps the definitive example.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2980468)   #33
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it misty-eyed views?

I think its more that alot people are remembering fondly a 1000km adventure as it once was, as opposed to the modern 25-lap sprint at the end preceeded by 5hrs of 'buying a ticket to the end game'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
1993/1995/1997: Too hard to separate these three Perkins victories, '93 for the absolute sprint that the race was between car 2 and car 11, '95 for that sensational last to first (and for Seton's fractured fairytale), and '97, being the "last" race for Peter Brock...
Whilst appreciating that your seemingly a Perkins fan, i can't see what was a 'sprint' about the 1993 race.

In race trim, Skaife/Richards were easily the fastest car on the day, and even though still needing two pitstops to Perkins/Hansford's one, they were 50+ secs in front...

After the only safety car intervention which lost them their lead but still needing the extra stop, the race was basically decided, whilst the Winfield car had to try and bridge the advantage they lost.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 07:21 (Ref:2980477)   #34
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
[
1984 keeps on getting mentioned on posts, and I don't get it. What was so appealing about a race where the winner controlled the race all day and won by a lap?
I tend to agree that alot of peoples picks have more to do with a misty eyed view of history rather than any accurate memory of the race.Many Bathurst races in the Group C era were so 1 sided that you knew the winner an hour after the start. Even if the obvious winner fell over (eg Brock in 74 with a 6 lap lead) hours of relative tedium as far as the lead of the race was concerned resulted.Years that fall into this category were 70,71,74,77,78,79,82,84,87(pre disqualifications),91,92,97,03and 08.Even tough these races had some of Bathurst's greatest individual performances as races they weren't compelling entertainment.The compensation in the Group C era was there was a lot of interest in the small car classes and even if outright was a done deal there were stii great battles to be had-2 litre class in 77 being perhaps the definitive example.[/QUOTE]

1979 is a classic example of the hype over shadowing the race. Brock may have won by six laps, but he did have challenges from the elements (rain) and other teams, all of which failed trying to keep up. It is a race I enjoy watching and I am not a Peter Brock fan.

And the first 30 laps of the 1978 race worth the price of admission alone.

I think it is easy in hindsight to say the races were predictable, but I was on the edge of my seat throughout '87 praying that the Fords would hang together and the 1992 was the most emotional I have watched.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 23:10 (Ref:2980864)   #35
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
1979 rain?5 minutes of drizzle that no one even put umbrellas up for. 1978.Good first 30 laps,totally predictable and processional last 130 laps. 1987 and 1992.So obvious all race week that Eggenberger and Nissan were dominant enough to control the race running at a pace that was about half their potential advantage over the rest of the field.1987 did however have one of the all time great class battles with the Frank Gardner BMW's up against the factory European versions.
Old 2 Nov 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2980866)   #36
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1987 was good fun to watch the early stages, with the likes of Mr Miedecke and Mr Soper and Mr Rouse taking turns at the head of the field. The rest of the grid kinda didnt see which way these guys went for a while.. till the Eggenbergers reverted to formation flying as mechanical dramas crept into the other Sierras.. and some Commodores & BMWs.. in hot pursuit.

The clips of Mr Brock & Mr Seton in their wet weather driving sequences, overlaid with James Reyne's "Fall of Rome" was my memory of watching the highlights a week later on #7's Sportsworld... it was request by fans so much that the segment was replayed the following week! Bet that hasnt happened before or since!

Except for the weirdo mudguards, the result was never likely in doubt then either. But they were magnificently presented cars, a beautiful finish, their fluoro sponsor stickers standing out on what was a very dark day (in many many ways) at Bathurst that year....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 Nov 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2980870)   #37
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
tend to agree that alot of peoples picks have more to do with a misty eyed view of history rather than any accurate memory of the race.Many Bathurst races in the Group C era were so 1 sided that you knew the winner an hour after the start. Even if the obvious winner fell over (eg Brock in 74 with a 6 lap lead) hours of relative tedium as far as the lead of the race was concerned resulted
"It was better in my day" syndrome. Amazing how past events get so much better 30-40 yrs later.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 05:16 (Ref:2980929)   #38
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The clips of Mr Brock & Mr Seton in their wet weather driving sequences, overlaid with James Reyne's "Fall of Rome" was my memory of watching the highlights a week later on #7's Sportsworld... it was request by fans so much that the segment was replayed the following week! Bet that hasnt happened before or since!
Now that is something i would like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
"It was better in my day" syndrome. Amazing how past events get so much better 30-40 yrs later.
Are you seriously suggesting the race was viewed as boring 30 or 40 years ago??

If it was as boring and processional to the public as you make out, the race wouldn't have survived past the 1970s!!
Old 3 Nov 2011, 06:37 (Ref:2980938)   #39
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting the race was viewed as boring 30 or 40 years ago??

If it was as boring and processional to the public as you make out, the race wouldn't have survived past the 1970s!!
Basically todays race is a Sprint Race that has a grid covered by 1-2 seconds. In the 1970's it was an Endurance Race that ran 500 miles or later 1000miles. You could go out for lunch and come back and ask"Who is leading?" The Leader could have been 1-2 laps in front. In the 1960's it was a production car endurance event broken down into classes.. No people were not "comparing" their Bathurst 500 /1000 to some future event. Boring? do you like the 24hr of LeMans or a Drag Race/Sprintcar race?
Old 3 Nov 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2981090)   #40
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes 1987 was a truley great race.
Old 4 Nov 2011, 03:07 (Ref:2981324)   #41
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1977 The XC Coupe 1-2.
1985 The beautiful Jaguar V12.
1992 For better or worse we are still talking about it.
2006 Ford is back. (if only we knew at the time it was mostly 888 not so much Ford).
2011 Was pretty good as well.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2981880)   #42
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

I remember that!! If someone has a copy PLEASE put it on YouTube.

For me, most memorable Bathurst was 89, as it was the first time I was actually there. Dick winning was the highlight of a great weekend.

1990 was memorable for a different reason, just watching the Nissan while it was running you knew once they worked out how to bolt the thing togeather to last, nothing was going to come close.

The final laps of the 2007 race were good to watch as well.
Old 5 Nov 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2982041)   #43
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
just search for them gaz, they are both there, at least in part
Old 6 Nov 2011, 02:20 (Ref:2982115)   #44
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
just search for them gaz, they are both there, at least in part
I think Gaz means the clips of Brock/Seton to "Fall of Rome" as shown on Sportsworld (hosted by Jon Harker at the time if it remember rightly?), rather than the individual clips.
Old 7 Nov 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2982619)   #45
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Whilst appreciating that your seemingly a Perkins fan, i can't see what was a 'sprint' about the 1993 race.

In race trim, Skaife/Richards were easily the fastest car on the day, and even though still needing two pitstops to Perkins/Hansford's one, they were 50+ secs in front...

After the only safety car intervention which lost them their lead but still needing the extra stop, the race was basically decided, whilst the Winfield car had to try and bridge the advantage they lost.
Point noted, obviously my perceptions of the race have been a bit skewed, having never seen it and being only 3 at the time Thank you for the correction.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 13 Nov 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2985414)   #46
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I resent being told that older people look at things through rose coloured glasses, of course we do and I don't need to be told that by you or anyone else. My memories are precious to me so don't denigrate them, I enjoyed the races then and still watch the DVD's every so often to rekindle the memory of my youth. Are you going to seriously tell me that you won't do the same? It is human nature and yes, you will so get off your soapbox.

Anyway back to the topic, the Group A years were great but those manic Cooper S's freight training down Con Rod to gain more speed were classic, no one did it before or has done it since. I think it was the first time the Europeans/Poms came out here to race and they loved it.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2985456)   #47
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
But i resent being told how good the old days where and then when we see the facts we see thats not true and todays is actually much better
Old 13 Nov 2011, 09:50 (Ref:2985469)   #48
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its hard to say, I've collected as much footage as possible and there appears to be good and bad from each era. I think the group c cars were hurt by reliability. Plenty of different cars, the early stages of the race were always a lot of fun but often you would have someone get out front and stay there. Group A appeared to be more competitive and appeared to throw up a lot of different winners plenty of different cars and the international factor. 91 was probably the only real boring race. Then you have the modern formula a lot more competitive cars, less cars, less makes, more reliable and probably and probably too interrupted by safety cars. Can't pick a favourite race though.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2985474)   #49
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have watched since 1965,the race has evoled, to me the races were great back in the 60's and 70's were any one could win and classes counted, today it's a bit clinical, but thats want they wanted, to me the mondern race should have at least 30 cars , but V8SCI, dont want to go that way.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 10:11 (Ref:2985477)   #50
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
, today it's a bit clinical, but thats want they wanted, to me the mondern race should have at least 30 cars , but V8SCI, dont want to go that way.
they had 29 and had 4 more spots for any takers,

you also forget that in the old days, lots of cars started, but most didnt finish.

today there is often more cars circulating at the end than many of the old races