Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 9 Feb 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3201792)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errrrr,well---
Old 9 Feb 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3201825)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I was also going to say- why would anyone want to go round the 'ring that fast on electric power? Unless their name was Ernie, of course....

Old 10 Feb 2013, 11:01 (Ref:3202342)   #28
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I was also going to say- why would anyone want to go round the 'ring that fast on electric power? Unless their name was Ernie, of course....

Or his deadly rival - Two-Ton Ted from Teddington. Although we were never advised whether his baker's van was electric-powered or i.c.e..
Old 10 Feb 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3202553)   #29
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Ernie had a horse & cart that Ted kicked IIRC !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3202739)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Ernie had a horse & cart that Ted kicked IIRC !
I bow to the font of all wisdom on matters related to Benny Hill!

Sure Ernie would have wanted to circulate the 'ring in 7.20 using electric power only though.....

Old 11 Feb 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3202774)   #31
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
... presumably chased by a gaggle of semi-clad buxom wenches.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3203147)   #32
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
... presumably chased by a gaggle of semi-clad buxom wenches.
I don't know, there we were having an intellectual discussion and someone has to come in with a smutty comment !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Feb 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3204135)   #33
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
No
Old 25 Feb 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3210260)   #34
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drove a hybrid Camry a couple of years ago and it was probably preferable to drive than the normal version I drove at the same time, with the exception of slow starts on electric power before the petrol engine started and took over. The reduced boot space was a downside as well, but I understand that is improved with the new model. The Toyota hybrid batteries & HSD system are proving to be decently long-lived so not something that would deter me.

At one stage local dealers were discounting the hybrid so that it cost only a couple of thousand dollars more than the normal one - between fuel savings, better resale and the convenience of longer range from a tank I think it would be worth it.

Mind you, the same thing in a car that drives better than a Camry would be far preferable!
Old 26 Feb 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3211296)   #35
Jim H
Rookie

Jim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJim H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are most Hybrids Petrol? Surely it would be much more economical to use a diesel. Audi have done it with their Les Mans cars, but why not in a road car?

However, having said that, Posche 918.... mmm Yes Please.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3211298)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
Why are most Hybrids Petrol? Surely it would be much more economical to use a diesel. Audi have done it with their Les Mans cars, but why not in a road car?

However, having said that, Posche 918.... mmm Yes Please.
I agree, start with your efficient engine and make that better rather than go the petrol route.

The Mercedes E300 is a diesel hybrid. It is very good, the 250CDI with a bit of extra power and a lovely schematic showing where the energy is going! Drives very well and does reward with power or economy. Very good, I liked it and would buy it. I don't do the miles to justify it, but if I did then why not?

A P1 or 918 - I agree, yes please.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3211329)   #37
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
PSA offers diesel hybrid versions of several Peugeots & Citroens.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3213129)   #38
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim, probably that the Toyota & Honda hybrids originated in Japan where diesel cars are not common, they then took off in the US (Prius) again not a big diesel market. Another factor is the added cost of a diesel version vs petrol and the reduced incremental improvement from the hybrid - more total cost and the ROI becomes less worthwhile.

I suspect that many hybrid buyers would be happy with the outright efficiency rather than counting fractions of cents cost. It will be interesting to see if the PSA or Volvo diesel hybrids do well.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3213647)   #39
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
PSA offers diesel hybrid versions of several Peugeots & Citroens.
I currently drive a Peugeot 3008 Hybrid. Whilst the fuel saving isn't significant the UK Comapny car tax (based on emissions) is!
Actually it's a good car too, uses the electric motor when in a traffic jam, moving slowly and has a very useful 200bhp diesel when things get more fun.
Old 13 May 2013, 05:31 (Ref:3246540)   #40
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we should be looking at doing an Orbital Engine Hybrid
Old 15 May 2015, 00:50 (Ref:3537555)   #41
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Anybody changed their mind regarding the purchase of a hybrid?

Starting next to a new Prius at the traffic lights yesterday it seemed far brisker off the line than the previous versions, is that valid?
Old 15 May 2015, 04:24 (Ref:3537578)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its hard to know what to do.. the move of so many cars to highly stressed turbo engines with big boost and big revs is equally as scary.

A recent turbo failure on a low km but just out of warranty 3 series diesel owned by a neighbour was quoted at over $6,500 for replacement..

What with twin clutch gearboxes, turbos and superchargers... and some using a KERS equivalent (Mazda 6?)... which of these technologies will last the ages? And the bank balance...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 May 2015, 17:55 (Ref:3537805)   #43
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Anybody changed their mind regarding the purchase of a hybrid?

Starting next to a new Prius at the traffic lights yesterday it seemed far brisker off the line than the previous versions, is that valid?
At this risk of sounding like a ****, I'm currently paying $2.50/gallon or £.42/liter, sooooooo.... no, not yet. The day I buy a diesel is getting closer however.
Old 15 May 2015, 19:10 (Ref:3537828)   #44
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
At this risk of sounding like a ****, I'm currently paying $2.50/gallon or £.42/liter, sooooooo.... no, not yet. The day I buy a diesel is getting closer however.
Presumably that will be just before diesels are banned from cities on grounds of their noxious emissions?

Jim
Old 15 May 2015, 20:25 (Ref:3537840)   #45
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes. And I would buy a Prius if needed a compact family car. It seems Prius'es keep their resale value quite well, although there were lots of scepticists a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Little comparison: 95E10 (regular 10% ethanol) ~1.55€/litre, 98E5 ("mid-grade" 5% ethanol) ~1.6€/litre. Not sure about the E85, maybe around 1,10 €/litre.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 15 May 2015 at 20:31.
Old 15 May 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3537844)   #46
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, they just get better and better. I quite fancy a plug in.
Old 16 May 2015, 21:00 (Ref:3538296)   #47
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What of something besides a Prius? Opinions?
Old 17 May 2015, 05:20 (Ref:3538430)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Honda Clarity, powered by Hydrogen
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 17 May 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3538481)   #49
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
We have a Toyota Auris (or whatever it's called) at work as a runaround and it's quite a nice car. It's very smooth to drive with no gear changing, it must have the old Daf Variomatic tranny, and very fast for a small engined car.
The downside would be being a private purchaser as it's not any more economical than a good small diesel and there's still the problem of how long the batteries will last if you intended keeping it for a long time as we tend to do.
Old 17 May 2015, 17:15 (Ref:3538613)   #50
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can you link a diesel to a hybrid system?

I think a few makers might be having to do this in coming yeras as the 80wotsits per km figure has been proven to be got from static lab tests and some new cars were over 25 times this when put under load or on hills

Seems diesels are not quite as clean as poeple thought or governments, nicely done makers for getting fleets and the government on your side, managing to get UK supliers to make diesel dearer and now apparently puling the wool over peoples eyes as to how clean diesels are in terms of ar pollution!

Why am I not surprised!