Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 5 May 2015, 18:14 (Ref:3534429)   #1
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Round 5: Angie's List Grand Prix of Indianapolis

Round 5: Angie's List Grand Prix of Indianapolis, 7 - 9 May, 2015.

Last year was the first time in the history of American Open Wheel Racing and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway that the IMS hosted the first of two consecutive rounds, of the IndyCar series in the Month of May; the Grand Prix of Indianapolis and the Indianapolis 500.

The race took place on a modified layout of the circuit previously used for the F1 United States Grand Prix, from 2000 - 2007 and currently used by the MotoGP, Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix. The race was run clockwise, the opposite direction to the Indianapolis 500 and it also featured a standing start. However, pole sitter Sebastián Saavedra stalled as the lights went out and was hit by Carlos Munoz and Mikhail Aleshin, showering the track with carbon-fibre and resulting in a restart. The inaugural event was eventually won by French driver Simon Pagenaud, driving for Schmidt Peterson Motorsports.

Layout:

Length: 2.439 Miles (3.925 Kms)

Turns: 14
Lap record: Scott Dixon, May 10, 2014. 1:10.4062, 124.711 Mph (200.703 km/h). Chip Ganassi Racing, Dallara DW12-Chevrolet, Verizon IndyCar Series.

Last year's winner:
Simon Pagenaud
Schmidt Peterson Motorsports
Dallara DW12-Honda
Laps: 82
Distance: 199.998 Miles (321.85 Km)
Race Time: 2:04:24.0261
Average Speed: 96.463 Mph (155.242 Km/h)

TV Coverage:
ABC
Green flag at 3:30p.m. ET.
Old 5 May 2015, 21:39 (Ref:3534512)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I couldn't bring myself to watch this one last year. Just seemed "wrong" then and still does.

Maybe I'll change my mind...
Old 5 May 2015, 22:16 (Ref:3534528)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This "TBA" driver is going to have a busy time - currently down to drive the #18 and #19.
Old 5 May 2015, 22:34 (Ref:3534535)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Last year's race was interesting, although it had too many caution breeds.
Old 6 May 2015, 03:35 (Ref:3534597)   #5
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are they going to try a standing start this year? Or did they learn their lesson?
Old 6 May 2015, 11:37 (Ref:3534687)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Are they going to try a standing start this year? Or did they learn their lesson?
I don't think there was a lesson to be learnt, it was one of those things that can happen at the start of a race. Whether they attempt it again, I don't know, I haven't found anything to say one way or another but I'd like to see it given another go.
Old 6 May 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3534720)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No standing starts anywhere this year I think.
Old 6 May 2015, 13:56 (Ref:3534741)   #8
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea I think they've abandoned standing starts for now. Shame really
Old 6 May 2015, 14:56 (Ref:3534766)   #9
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burp View Post
Yea I think they've abandoned standing starts for now. Shame really
They aren't doing standing starts anymore...too dangerous. The anti-stall on these cars is terrible.
Old 6 May 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3534835)   #10
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
What I dont get though is not many drivers stall leaving the pits so why can't they get off the grid?
Old 6 May 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3534844)   #11
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I couldn't bring myself to watch this one last year. Just seemed "wrong" then and still does.

Maybe I'll change my mind...
Well, the way I see it, this event is just the successor of the F1 race on the same track. Nothing more and nothing less. In the 80s, IndyCars took over the USGP West at Long Beach, too, and it's been a success ever since.

The Grand Prix of Indianapolis is going to be especially interesting from a technical point of view: since this track requires a low downforce setup and it's the first time that is required of the new aero kits, different teams will go for different solutions. And given how tight the field is at the time, there might even be a surprise winner.
Old 6 May 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3534853)   #12
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Well, the way I see it, this event is just the successor of the F1 race on the same track. Nothing more and nothing less. In the 80s, IndyCars took over the USGP West at Long Beach, too, and it's been a success ever since.
The difference is these are IndyCars racing at THE speedway in May on a roval; this is not correct, IMO.

I am no "Speedway/Open Wheel Purist", but there's no need to replace the F1 event at this track as they did in LB. F1 left LB and there was a void, so in comes IndyCar. F1 left the speedway, you still got the 500. This would be like the Rolex 24 leaving Daytona, so they race the stockcars on the roval 2 weeks before the 500. Nonsense I say.

I am not attempting to rain on anyone's parade here and I am sure it will be as entertaining as the other events this year. If one can find enjoyment in this race, so be it. It just feels so wrong, IMO.
Old 7 May 2015, 01:33 (Ref:3534989)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Understand that perspective. That said - the traditional month of May was no longer financially viable for teams or the series.

This ensures more bang for the buck for the series, sponsors and teams whilst being at Indy.
Old 7 May 2015, 02:02 (Ref:3534995)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
The difference is these are IndyCars racing at THE speedway in May on a roval; this is not correct, IMO.

I am no "Speedway/Open Wheel Purist", but there's no need to replace the F1 event at this track as they did in LB. F1 left LB and there was a void, so in comes IndyCar. F1 left the speedway, you still got the 500. This would be like the Rolex 24 leaving Daytona, so they race the stockcars on the roval 2 weeks before the 500. Nonsense I say.

I am not attempting to rain on anyone's parade here and I am sure it will be as entertaining as the other events this year. If one can find enjoyment in this race, so be it. It just feels so wrong, IMO.
CART did an excellent job of replacing LB as an F1 event.

This is going to be the 2nd running of this race and barring last year's start, I hope it works out.

The idea of running a race on the infield track was criticized last year because it was deemed gimmicky and it was argued, it would detract from the 500 and hit ticket sales.

If this race can garner interest in AOWR/IndyCar, which it sorely needs, great and if it does turn out to be a gimmick, then that's what it is.
Old 7 May 2015, 02:45 (Ref:3535003)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I am being Debbie Downer, an attitude that has turned me away from other sub forums here, so my apologies. This race could garner more interest in the sport and perhaps the old May format for the 500 is a bit antiquated - I just don't see it or like it.

I sincerely hope y'all enjoy the race. Maybe I'll watch but more than likely, I'll see you for the 500.
Old 7 May 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3535216)   #16
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see standing starts, but not in the current car. If they got the gearbox fixed then great, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Rolling are better for IndyCar now.
Old 7 May 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3535225)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
I'd love to see standing starts, but not in the current car. If they got the gearbox fixed then great, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Rolling are better for IndyCar now.
I liked the idea of a alternating standing and rolling starts at the double headers, it was a bit gimmicky but it added variety, otherwise no double header no standing start.
Old 8 May 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3535575)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Saavedra stalled because he was too aggressive with the clutch. Drivers could adjust the progressiveness, and apparently several of them didn't take time to do that.
Old 8 May 2015, 19:07 (Ref:3535601)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Qualifying is underway and IndyCar are streaming it.

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/
Old 8 May 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3535624)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Will Power has broken Scott Dixon's lap record with a time of 1:09.4886 during qualifying for the fast 6 and gets pole.
Old 9 May 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3535854)   #21
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
I suppose due to the fact that its a low downforce circuit we didn't see the lap record beaten by that much
Old 9 May 2015, 17:24 (Ref:3535889)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burp View Post
I suppose due to the fact that its a low downforce circuit we didn't see the lap record beaten by that much
Scott Dixon's previous record was 1:10.4062 and Will Power's new record is 1:09.4886, that's the best part of a second quicker.
Old 9 May 2015, 17:33 (Ref:3535892)   #23
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Oh, article I read said it was only beaten by 0.2sec. Must get more reliabe information source, Lol
Old 9 May 2015, 19:52 (Ref:3535940)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
That was an awful start, they weren't even aligned properly and then Dixon spins at turn one and chaos ensues and we have the first yellow of the day.
Old 9 May 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3535942)   #25
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That looked bizarre. Some of the drivers chose a different route.