Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Aug 2000, 15:30 (Ref:28082)   #1
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today I read in the obituaries column of The Daily Telegraph , sadly , of the death of Owen Maddock , Chief Designer of The Cooper Car Company (in the 1950's and 60's) at the age of 75 . He revolutionised the shape of motor racing cars by mounting the engine behind the driver . This Maddock designed Cooper won its first GP in 1958 with Stirling Moss and went on to capture the Drivers title with Jack Brabham in 1959 and 1960 (and I believe the Constructors title)
"Who do you think was the most influential" designer/engineer? , or at least very important , and what was their invention/solution/innovation..........a subject about which I know so little.....so come on enlighten me ! (and there's no Franklin to insult you !)
Old 3 Aug 2000, 15:35 (Ref:28083)   #2
Slowcoach
Racer

Cripes !! I didnt think - I hope this hasn't been done before .......
Old 3 Aug 2000, 16:01 (Ref:28086)   #3
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have to be Colin Chapman. Monocoque (okay Gabriel Voisin), ground effect, chisel noses etc etc. Always seemed to be at least one step ahead of the rest, and sometimes one step ahead of himself (Lotus 80). You only have to look at the designs he has been responsible for.
Vanwall
Lotus 25
1968 - commercial sponsorship (OK slighty off topic)
Lotus 72
Lotus 56
Lotus 76
Lotus 77
Lotus 78/79
Lotus 86/88 - unfortunately not allowed by the FIA
And I'm sure there was some active suspension development instigated by him just before his death on the Lotus 93T. I admit that some of the ideas were dead ends(at the time at least), but always innovating.
Old 3 Aug 2000, 16:12 (Ref:28087)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Without getting too deep. Jim Hall (Chapperal) developed ground effects years before Chapman. However Chapman made it work without fans.

Will think a little more about this. Good topic.
Old 3 Aug 2000, 16:18 (Ref:28090)   #5
angst
Veteran

Oooops. I did mean to mention the Jim Hall thing, as with Voisin, but somehow missed it out. Quite agree, but as you say, he made it work without fans.
Old 3 Aug 2000, 16:22 (Ref:28091)   #6
angst
Veteran

Following the thread a little her, Porsche had the engine behind the driver with the Auto-Unions before the war, and Benz before that (and independent rear suspension). Who was involved in the design of the Benz?
Old 4 Aug 2000, 03:33 (Ref:28235)   #7
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If my memory isn't all messed up, Chapparell also had a ground effects Indy car before the Lotus, though not really what we now think of as 'ground effects'. It had the entire tail end of the car formed as a box below the wing, with the hopes of creating a very large area of low pressure. It was only partially successful.

I think also that it's Roger Penske that can be credited with commercial sponsorship - he sold advertising space to Zerex Anti-freeze, on an air-cooled Porsche, no less !
Old 4 Aug 2000, 09:30 (Ref:28273)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not so much an innovator but what about Carroll Shelby?
Old 4 Aug 2000, 16:06 (Ref:28342)   #9
Slowcoach
Racer

Oh yes , wasnt he the guy who put enormous engines in tiny cars ?
Going back to Maddock , he also came up with an original composite design , featuring aeronautical honeycomb sandwiched between an aluminium outer skin and a moulded glass fibre inner skin . It was made but never raced .....until 16 years later , when Williams used just such a honeycomb chassis to win the world championship !!
Old 6 Aug 2000, 15:17 (Ref:28715)   #10
XAutoRacer
Rookie

United States
Santa Barbara, California, USA
XAutoRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin Chapman: "Simplify and add lightness."
Old 29 Mar 2001, 06:57 (Ref:75195)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The honeycomb may have taken a while to be used, but a bloke named Robin Herd used a sandwich material called Mallite in an early McLaren, probably the 1966 destroked Ford-powered F1 cars, I think.

Penske's foray with Zerex was far from the first sponsorship deal, too, and this was used on the Zerex Special... a Cooper F1 car with an outrigger seat to one side under a sports car body (1963?).