Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Dec 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3347945)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Algarve Classic Festival

http://www.motorracinglegends.com/in...?subj=Calendar
Old 10 Sep 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3451725)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok, I know it's a month away but finally I'll get to race my new toy. First time out in a race since Goodwood when I was Captain Slow.

Having moved the steering wheel I can actually turn it now and at Donington running the post historics, I was under three secs off the slick tyred pace from the May meeting.

We can run slicks with MRL the trouble is the tyre diameter is so small I was pulling fifth during testing at Mallory the other week so I'm afraid I'll be running Yokos, just to keep close to a reasonable ratio. Not a good thing but hopefully we can build a new rear axle for next year.

We've got the logistics sorted too.

So, hotel booked for an eight day break, flights booked so all sorted.

Looking forward to it.

Who else is going?
Old 10 Sep 2014, 08:39 (Ref:3451754)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well done Peter, you definitely need a low (numerical) diff for the circuit. Canary pulls 8.5k in top using 4.1 and 21.5" tyres.

Despite the sick engine in new car, will still be there. (Would have likely needed a 3.7 diff, from test at Goody.) Can concentrate on the karting instead! Like several others, will be at Jerez w/end before and celebrating birthday somewhere in between! Think Delta has arranged for our trucks to stay at a caravan park somewhere close to the beach. Hope they know what have let themselves in for......

Old 10 Sep 2014, 09:21 (Ref:3451761)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think we have a 3.9 at the moment. Good for the higher profile rubber we have for Goodwood, no good for the miniscule slicks. Hence the yoko selection.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3451785)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think we have a 3.9 at the moment. Good for the higher profile rubber we have for Goodwood, no good for the miniscule slicks. Hence the yoko selection.
For the RS2, yokos are smaller diameter than the Avons, if the former are 185/60s. I had them on testing (at Goodwood) last week, and felt could do with taller gearing! Sure that's not the reason engine went sick....

I hope you enjoy the AIA circuit, it is near top of my favourites. It will feel strange not racing there this year!
Old 10 Sep 2014, 11:10 (Ref:3451791)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
For the RS2, yokos are smaller diameter than the Avons, if the former are 185/60s. I had them on testing (at Goodwood) last week, and felt could do with taller gearing! Sure that's not the reason engine went sick....
It's really a compromise between stickiness and diameter. The original slicks in period were a pretty deep section so the post historics/D84 size would be best. However if I'm to get some better grip the most suitable for size is the Yoko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I hope you enjoy the AIA circuit, it is near top of my favourites. It will feel strange not racing there this year!
I'm certainly looking forward to it and any assistance/advice will be greatly received. I've booked the test day on the Thursday although I don't expect to run every session.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3451801)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Its a fantastic track peter. Takes a lot of learning.I'm sure me or mike will come out with you and show you the way. there are two super blind corners.
If you are around before hand we can walk the track together.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3451807)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Iain,

Excellent, we'll be there from the Tuesday evening. Will take you up on the walk.

Good luck this weekend.
Old 1 Oct 2014, 06:42 (Ref:3459084)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Iain,

Excellent, we'll be there from the Tuesday evening. Will take you up on the walk.

Good luck this weekend.
Latest news is that as usual, trucks and other transport will not be allowed in until Wednesday eve, and then only if testing Thursday! This is a major minus for the circuit, as understandably most people are not prepared to leave trailers etc parked up outside for one or two nights. There are no facilities and (unless changed) the parking area is unsecured. Different to Jerez week before, where vehicles are taken inside the main gate and parked in a holding area if necessary. I expect there will be usual battle with security at AIA Wednesday before, which is not what you want when the majority will have transported 1500 miles to bring cars to their facility.......
Old 3 Oct 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3459725)   #10
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am in the Algarve for most of October so I will be there also. Enjoyed this meeting 4 years ago when it was Masters. Does anyone have an entry list yet
Old 3 Oct 2014, 06:37 (Ref:3459728)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not seen a list yet. I leave Dubai next Friday, then to Portimao on the Monday (not Tuesday). Come and say hello - Group 1 SD1 Sunday Express.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 06:44 (Ref:3459731)   #12
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Peter
The website appears to be a little on the optimistic side. Suggesting F1 masters and Sportscar Masters. Pre 65 f1 etc Are these correct?

Anyhow looking forward to it
Old 3 Oct 2014, 07:46 (Ref:3459743)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy norm View Post
Thanks Peter
The website appears to be a little on the optimistic side. Suggesting F1 masters and Sportscar Masters. Pre 65 f1 etc Are these correct?

Anyhow looking forward to it
No masters grids. Certainly MRL, GTSCC, FJ and a Histo F1 race, hoping that some of the car from Jerez will join in.
Old 3 Oct 2014, 10:31 (Ref:3459779)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just received final instructions.
Old 12 Oct 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3464146)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
All packed, off to Gatwick tomorrow morning. Looking forward to meeting the guys on Wednesday.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 21:21 (Ref:3464663)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Best of luck Pete and other's!
Old 14 Oct 2014, 07:16 (Ref:3464855)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Cheers bloke.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 11:16 (Ref:3464924)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
All packed, off to Gatwick tomorrow morning. Looking forward to meeting the guys on Wednesday.
Hmm.

Arriving on Wednesday eh?

I'm suspicious you are only going in the expectation of having a good time at Mike's birthday party.

Old 14 Oct 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3464985)   #19
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Here's one for all you engine builders . Brian MGB engine started misfiring over 5000 rpm . Found valve spring retainer split and was oy working on inner valve spring . That's a first for me
Old 14 Oct 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3465005)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmm, could only happen to the Lamberts!
I remember one of the Snett three hours , waiting in the pit lane to go out on my stint as Barbara was coming onto Revett when her engine let go big style, one of her cam followers hit me on the foot!
Old 17 Oct 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3465912)   #21
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any live timing on internet????
Old 17 Oct 2014, 18:10 (Ref:3466004)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No idae about live timing I'm afraid. My first visit here and I have to say it was really daunting, extrenely difficult to remember. Lots of blind apexes and it took a couple of sessions to get down to sny meaningful time. However in qualifying today I acheived class pole, behind Richard Postins' Group A Rover and some Group 2 machinery including Dan Cox in the Vince Woodman RS1600. Good to have Vince with us in the garage too. Spokevto Mike Bell and indeed Delta who have both been very encouraging.

Two races for me; the first tomorrow morning; the second on Sunday. So far I can recommend this event to anyone interested in historic racing.
Old 18 Oct 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3466192)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Mallet man dun brilliant . He even managed to do his stop and go penalty 8 secs before chequerd flag came out . Will let him tell full story but the lad drove a great race
Old 18 Oct 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3466230)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Iain is too generous but he has been encouraging me all weekend. Yup I was a naughty boy and just served the penalty in time. Full account after the weekend but we're having a brilliant time so far.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3466435)   #25
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Well he did it .Peter won his class and p5 overhall .