Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Aug 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3762905)   #1
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jensen CV8

Does anybody know if the Jensen CV8 was ever homologated? If it was, was it as a Touring car or Grand Touring car?
Old 30 Aug 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3762919)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Does anybody know if the Jensen CV8 was ever homologated? If it was, was it as a Touring car or Grand Touring car?
IIRC only the '72 Jensen-Healey has FIA homologation, but you can always check here:
http://historicdb.fia.com/
Old 30 Aug 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3762921)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
IIRC only the '72 Jensen-Healey has FIA homologation, but you can always check here:
http://historicdb.fia.com/
Agree. That's what I found.... Richard Warbyoff prepared a 541R for Malcolm Verey a few years ago, and I think Martin Brewer has it for sale (Runnymede MC)- or did have. It competed in Pre '63 races, but again, wasn't homologated.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 14:16 (Ref:3762935)   #4
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
So even if not homologated in any category could it be considered a 'Touring' car.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3762960)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
So even if not homologated in any category could it be considered a 'Touring' car.
Does definition not come down to internal (habitacle) dimensions? Somewhere in the rules, no doubt...... App J or K.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 16:33 (Ref:3762985)   #6
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Not yet checked on FIA database but your suggestion seems reasonable until you consider the internal dimensions of, say,your Gilbern which will be larger than, say, a Mini, Imp or Fiat 500.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3762997)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Not yet checked on FIA database but your suggestion seems reasonable until you consider the internal dimensions of, say,your Gilbern which will be larger than, say, a Mini, Imp or Fiat 500.
Exactly. The Gilbern GT I'm sure could have been homologated as a touring car if they had wanted, but guess the GT category was more appropriate for marketing..... It may be that the CV8 meets the TC criteria.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 18:37 (Ref:3762999)   #8
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Exactly. The Gilbern GT I'm sure could have been homologated as a touring car if they had wanted, but guess the GT category was more appropriate for marketing..... It may be that the CV8 meets the TC criteria.
Not forgetting the production numbers within 12 months thing. I think the question of cars not homologated in period is documented in appendix K as you suggested, Mike.
Old 30 Aug 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3763005)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks Gerard, I'd forgotten the production numbers in a 12 month period bit.......
Old 31 Aug 2017, 07:14 (Ref:3763117)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Does definition not come down to internal (habitacle) dimensions? Somewhere in the rules, no doubt...... App J or K.
I am sure that the internal dimensions of the vehicle do have something to do with specifying it as a Touring Car. There was always controversy that the Mazda RX7 (which most people would have thought was a sports car) was allowed to race as a Touring Car and I seem to remember that it was the internal dimensions thing that got it through. (Mind you, the cars were entered by TWR at the time, so there was bound to be controversy!)
Old 31 Aug 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3763121)   #11
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Tornado Talismans and 911's are homologised as GT's and have raced as saloons, having rear seats, of a kind!
Old 31 Aug 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3763126)   #12
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Tornado Talismans and 911's are homologised as GT's and have raced as saloons, having rear seats, of a kind!
Likewise, XJSs also.
Old 31 Aug 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3763127)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Likewise, XJSs also.
Does any one know if a 1997/98 Vauxhall Astra would comply with any relevant FIA specifications to qualify as a 'Saloon Car', and thus eligible for Historic Touring Car events?
Old 31 Aug 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3763134)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Does any one know if a 1997/98 Vauxhall Astra would comply with any relevant FIA specifications to qualify as a 'Saloon Car', and thus eligible for Historic Touring Car events?
As someone who knows a bit about Vauxhalls, I'd say that your Astra would be more suitable for Hysterical Touring Car Racing...
Old 31 Aug 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3763140)   #15
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
As to the internal dimensions we could also add the Alfa Bertone supposed to make room for 4 adults… Both with RX7 were Group1 homologated. In my list only one Porsche was ever homologated as a Group 1, the 912 (first series I think) but ok correct me if its wrong.
If a Jensen CV8 has been entered in an international meeting you could make a perfect copy and have it recognized. Right or wrong?
Old 31 Aug 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3763142)   #16
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mon ami Robert, actually not, but you have to look in the Opel list to find another homologated Astra's list, the '98 CC model. Two doors only but this can be fixed!
Old 31 Aug 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3763269)   #17
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
To qualify as a saloon, surely you'd want the Belmont, not the Astra!

However, having driven a Belmont (the auto version at that), the only FIA qualification it has is Forever Internally Awful
Old 2 Sep 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3763694)   #18
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
As to the internal dimensions we could also add the Alfa Bertone supposed to make room for 4 adults… Both with RX7 were Group1 homologated. In my list only one Porsche was ever homologated as a Group 1, the 912 (first series I think) but ok correct me if its wrong.
If a Jensen CV8 has been entered in an international meeting you could make a perfect copy and have it recognized. Right or wrong?
Vic Elford drove a Porsche 911 in the 1967 British Saloon Car Championship. According to the Snetterton programme, the championship was "For Special Touring Cars complying with Appendix 'J' Group 5 to the International Sporting Code."

There were also 911's competing in the ETCC in 1968, entered by the likes of Kremer.