Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Jul 2014, 16:11 (Ref:3434153)   #51
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver View Post
... but if they are going to try to get the masses interested then the GTE car has to be a Mustang. There is no other option.
That's what I was hinting at; anything else would be harder to 'activate'. The GT500 Mustang is Corvette prices anyway, unless I'm mistaken.

So if that is ruled out then P2 would seem the most relevant/likely category.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 16:18 (Ref:3434157)   #52
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
That's what I was hinting at; anything else would be harder to 'activate'. The GT500 Mustang is Corvette prices anyway, unless I'm mistaken.

So if that is ruled out then P2 would seem the most relevant/likely category.
You are correct Roger. The GT500 has a base MSRP of $55,110 USD. The Corvette has a base MSRP of $53,000 USD.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 16:49 (Ref:3434165)   #53
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Privateer P1?

Couldn't Ford pair an Ecoboost engine with a Privateer P1 team at LeMans? Would that be better than going P2?
Old 15 Jul 2014, 18:00 (Ref:3434182)   #54
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Couldn't Ford pair an Ecoboost engine with a Privateer P1 team at LeMans? Would that be better than going P2?
I would argue that having a chance to get overall wins at Daytona, Sebring, Petit Le Mans, and the P2 class at Le Mans trumps being behind the 3 full fledged factory efforts at the 24. Not to mention there is only 1 Privateer P1 team left on earth and no customer chassis.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 18:08 (Ref:3434186)   #55
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HPD, Oak, Rebellion, Zytek, Adess would all build customer P1's if there was a large enough market. Their aren't enough interested privateers because realistically you can't be competitive in LMP1 as a privateer. not long ago 2008, you couldn't be competitive in ALMS P2 unless your name was Roger Penske, or you were part of the Acura program.

You can no longer be competitive in GTLM or GTE-Pro or whatever unless you are factory. The only classes that remain for privateers in ACO competition are GTE-Am and LMP2.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3434190)   #56
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
HPD, Oak, Rebellion, Zytek, Adess would all build customer P1's if there was a large enough market. Their aren't enough interested privateers because realistically you can't be competitive in LMP1 as a privateer. not long ago 2008, you couldn't be competitive in ALMS P2 unless your name was Roger Penske, or you were part of the Acura program.

You can no longer be competitive in GTLM or GTE-Pro or whatever unless you are factory. The only classes that remain for privateers in ACO competition are GTE-Am and LMP2.
Then again there were zero classes aimed exclusively for privateers five years ago (all P1, P2, GT1 and GT2 had both factories and privateers and NO PRO-AM crap) when now two are built around them, so in reality has the situation really 'worsened' or has it actually gone more towards the 'everybodys winner today' concept...

Anyway, open ELMS for P1(-L) again and the annoying problem is partly solved
Old 15 Jul 2014, 18:27 (Ref:3434194)   #57
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Falken and Risi have been competitive in North America over the last 3 years in GTLM/GTE. They have proven that good teams with competitive, recent platforms can fight against the factory efforts when they have the ability to purchase competitive packages.

It has gotten to the point that P1 makes zero sense for any new privateer teams coming into LMP racing. How many chassis would any of those companies that you listed have to sell before it made sense to build and develop a platform? P2 is the only class that has variety, competition, and options to non-factory efforts. Thus is did not make any sense for TUSC.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 18:29 (Ref:3434196)   #58
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Then again there were zero classes aimed exclusively for privateers five years ago (all P1, P2, GT1 and GT2 had both factories and privateers and NO PRO-AM crap) when now two are built around them, so in reality has the situation really 'worsened' or has it actually gone more towards the 'everybodys winner today' concept...

Anyway, open ELMS for P1(-L) again and the annoying problem is partly solved
5 years ago the WEC did not exist either sucking the life out of the continental series. Yes, I think the sport is much better off having a strong series in Europe and a strong series in North America, instead of trying to put together an F1 calendar that only rich guys and factories can afford to enter. Thus the reason why we ended up with 2 Pro/Am classes.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3434199)   #59
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
5 years ago the WEC did not exist either sucking the life out of the continental series. Yes, I think the sport is much better off having a strong series in Europe and a strong series in North America, instead of trying to put together an F1 calendar that only rich guys and factories can afford to enter. Thus the reason why we ended up with 2 Pro/Am classes.
Very much agree with you!
Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3434205)   #60
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Me too. For the record.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3434210)   #61
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe a two seater Thunderbird GT? But with actual effort.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3434709)   #62
cobraRed01
Rookie

United States
New Jersey
cobraRed01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
This is one of the best looking concepts Ford put out in the last decade.

If Ford could deliver a updated Daytona Coupe to match the performance and price of the C7 variants...they would do very well with it. On many Mustang/Cobra forums the upgrade path is often from Cobra/Shelby to C6 or C7. I guarantee they would prefer to move up to the GR...and stay in Ford Blue. If the performance is there you won't have to wait to sell a lot of them. Why couldn't it run in GTE?

The Ford GT is hallowed ground. If it is ever released again it would a command supercar dollar with supercar performance. It would need to be far above the performance and price point of the Corvette.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 00:22 (Ref:3434712)   #63
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraRed01 View Post
If Ford could deliver a updated Daytona Coupe to match the performance and price of the C7 variants...they would do very well with it. On many Mustang/Cobra forums the upgrade path is often from Cobra/Shelby to C6 or C7. I guarantee they would prefer to move up to the GR...and stay in Ford Blue. If the performance is there you won't have to wait to sell a lot of them. Why couldn't it run in GTE?

The Ford GT is hallowed ground. If it is ever released again it would a command supercar dollar with supercar performance. It would need to be far above the performance and price point of the Corvette.
Yeah the GR1 concept is, IMO, the best of them.

L.P.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 01:05 (Ref:3434721)   #64
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I really liked the gt90, but that was before the 'GT' was produced.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 01:13 (Ref:3434723)   #65
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
It's trick The more I think about this, the less a Ford GT makes sense any time soon. A Ford GT succesor is going to be in development for several years before it's ever released. It took Audi a really long time before they ever sold the R8. I don't see how a Ford GT could be done in 2 years. That's just not enough time to build a bespoke super car unless they want to raid the Fiesta and Focus scrap bins. I don't think a new GT would use any common parts except maybe cup holders from a Focus.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 01:18 (Ref:3434724)   #66
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraRed01 View Post

I agree with everything you said...but...
If you are Ford marketing and you want to have your fans come out in force, thus being able to show some ROI to the damned bean counters, then the answer is Mustang. IMO if its about Ford bringing out a car with the same level of prestige as the 911s, BMWs, etc. then the GR1 or GT is the way to go. If its about getting bodies to the track then Mustang is the one.

I would love to see a 2 pronged attack like Dodge and Porsche are doing. Factory (Penske?) GR1 or GT in GTLM and factory-supported Mustangs in GTD (or GT3 depending on the timing) for TUSCC and let Ford of Europe (Matech?) run a WEC program with the GR1 or GT. Use the programs in their advertising like Audi does, and do that advertising on non-racing programming. This would help bring more eyes to our sport.

If this brought enough support from the public then, just maybe, it could help convince them to jump in the deep end and build a P1 and swim with the sharks.

...or maybe i'm just dreaming...

Last edited by 1969MGCGTdriver; 17 Jul 2014 at 01:25.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 01:43 (Ref:3434726)   #67
cobraRed01
Rookie

United States
New Jersey
cobraRed01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver View Post
I agree with everything you said...but...
If you are Ford marketing and you want to have your fans come out in force, thus being able to show some ROI to the damned bean counters, then the answer is Mustang. IMO if its about Ford bringing out a car with the same level of prestige as the 911s, BMWs, etc. then the GR1 or GT is the way to go. If its about getting bodies to the track then Mustang is the one.

I would love to see a 2 pronged attack like Dodge and Porsche are doing. Factory (Penske?) GR1 or GT in GTLM and factory-supported Mustangs in GTD (or GT3 depending on the timing) for TUSCC and let Ford of Europe (Matech?) run a WEC program with the GR1 or GT. Use the programs in their advertising like Audi does, and do that advertising on non-racing programming. This would help bring more eyes to our sport.

If this brought enough support from the public then, just maybe, it could help convince them to jump in the deep end and build a P1 and swim with the sharks.

...or maybe i'm just dreaming...
Seeing a new Mustang GT3 based on the new platform would be a hoot. I was so looking forward to the Marc VDS Mustang GT3 awhile back. The Matech FR500 and, even more so, their Ford GT1 and GT3 cars, were stunning to behold and pretty effective despite the age of the later platform. Yes, we sure can dream, can't we??

First stop, the new IRS-equipped Mustang putting a hurtin' on the new Camaros in PWC and the CTSCC. Then, maybe going up a notch against the Cadillacs in the GT class.
Old 17 Jul 2014, 06:46 (Ref:3434773)   #68
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
GT is hallowed ground and should remain so - ie any reincarnation should be a limited production supercar.

But there is definitely room in the market for a Ford competitor to the Vette - as has been said there is nowhere to go with Ford products beyond the Mustang
Old 17 Jul 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3434853)   #69
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Maybe a two seater Thunderbird GT? But with actual effort.
That would work since Thunderbird was once a competitor to the 1st Gen Corvette. However, it needs to have the proportions of the Shelby Cobra Coupe should Ford go toe-to-toe with the C7 Corvette.
Old 18 Jul 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3435249)   #70
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's no coincidence that the new GT350 Shelby has been pounding around the ring recently, it's also no coincidence that it's being released in Europe.

I've been saying it since before LeMans....they are coming back. And it's with the Mustang.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 18 Jul 2014, 20:36 (Ref:3435264)   #71
Articus
Veteran

For what reason? Strictly speaking the Mustang doesn't compete with the Vette or the Viper. Remember how everyone seemed to have it in for the M3 GT2....A Ford Mustang GTE might require ungodly waivers. Isn't this the first Mustang they've even run independent suspension on
Old 18 Jul 2014, 22:52 (Ref:3435289)   #72
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Anyone see this? For you mustang lovers

Old 18 Jul 2014, 23:03 (Ref:3435290)   #73
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at a car show today, and among all the muscle cars and hot rods (which I love) I saw one modern GT car, a Ford GT, it was beautiful. I don't get to see many rear engine modern GT cars, so seeing it in person so that cool.

However, even though I would love to see a new Ford GT with a rear engine, I believe a front engine GT car price competitively at the Corvette, would make more sense economically.
Old 19 Jul 2014, 00:40 (Ref:3435309)   #74
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For what reason? Strictly speaking the Mustang doesn't compete with the Vette or the Viper. Remember how everyone seemed to have it in for the M3 GT2....A Ford Mustang GTE might require ungodly waivers. Isn't this the first Mustang they've even run independent suspension on
SO.....how would this be any different from the secretary/frat girl Z4 in GTLM?

Yes this is the first mustang to have IRS.
Old 19 Jul 2014, 00:45 (Ref:3435311)   #75
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Anyone see this? For you mustang lovers

Not gonna lie........I'm in lovveee...........

What's it matter anyways,GTE/GTLM has lost its original gt/gt2 spirit.if anything it's now an expensive manufacture only exclusive class that's about as silly as gt3.ask Chiana

Let em play.