Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jul 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2243739)   #1
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
British GP to be held at Donington

Being reported on BBC News 24 now, also see http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68828
Old 4 Jul 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2243744)   #2
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I assume if the development plans are completed by 2010...
Old 4 Jul 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2243745)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How ironic that, having spent years criticising Silverstone for access (before the next hobby horse came along) we are moving to the circuit with quite possibly the worst access on earth.

Still, great track. I just hope the F1 brigade don't ruin it.

They will won't they?
Old 4 Jul 2008, 10:51 (Ref:2243747)   #4
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the Donington Park website now:

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/even...ws?news_id=133

Nick Froome
Old 4 Jul 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2243748)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Does this mean that Donington will get the 'Tilke' treatment ?
Old 4 Jul 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2243752)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prepare for the circuit to be torn apart...
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2243757)   #7
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
This is going to screw up the whole of the British racing scene.

Donington destroyed and probably bankrupted for a deal I really can't see them sustaining for the full 10 years.

Silverstone, in order that it does not decline to Rockingham like levels of white elephantism , I can see bidding for just about everything of status that Brands Hatch currently gets. Which in turn....

Really really bad move Bernie, but I guess it was as much about settling personal scores as making the deal.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2243761)   #8
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
Rumours suggested so:

http://www.forumula1.net/2008/f1/f1-...its-donington/

Oh joy of joys
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2243763)   #9
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's on the FIA website.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...ritish_gp.aspx

Dear god, noooooo!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2243766)   #10
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Bodysnatcher probably the worst news for British Motorsport for a long long time. Farewell Donnington!
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2243769)   #11
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolide
On the Donington Park website now:

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/even...ws?news_id=133

Nick Froome
Intersting one liner in that report "The investment will be led by a private investor who is also a large shareholder."
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2243771)   #12
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
a tenner says it won't happen, not to this timescale anyway...
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2243773)   #13
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
It's probably a part of the deal, wouldn't it?
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2243774)   #14
rotorboy
Rookie

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
rotorboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm distraught. Talk about out of the blue! Certainly was not expecting an announcement like this today - feel like I've lost an arm! I wonder how much money Donington have now got to spend to upgrade the facilities?? And what will come of the planned (and approved) £30m developments to Silverstone??
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:15 (Ref:2243777)   #15
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
a tenner says it won't happen, not to this timescale anyway...
It could well be a hopeless task.. meaning that the Brit GP disappears. Bernie's got it sorted.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:16 (Ref:2243778)   #16
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondo
It's on the FIA website.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...ritish_gp.aspx

Dear god, noooooo!
Well that all read as being very childish indeed. "The Olympics can have some money so why not us"

Oh I don't know Bernie it's a mystery to me. Can anyone out there think why a government of a country heading for a recession might not want to help out Britain's 24th most wealthy individual........
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:17 (Ref:2243779)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Bernie says

"I am sorry that we could not have helped Silverstone to raise the money to carry out the circuit improvements and run Formula One. I believe that the government should have supported them which would have cost probably less than .002% of the government’s commitment for the Olympic Games.”

Well Bernie it's partly down to your own selfish aims (£1m donation to labour party to allegedly delay cigarette advertising ban that was handed back) that the government will not be seen dead giving money to Formula One.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2243782)   #18
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh god no...now I know i'm a silverstone marshal and all of that, but could this move is the worst thought idea i've ever seen.

Bodysnatcher is right I do have to say...god help british motorsport.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2243790)   #19
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good write up about this here:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20551.html

No planning permission and a gargantuan amount of building work to be done in 2 years. This could well end up a mess in itself, regardless of the repercussions for the UK motorsport scene.

Interesting point about Max making the announcement too.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2243791)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm going to put this one in the box marked never gonna happen, and Bernie and the British GP will go back to Silverstone with their tails between their legs.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:42 (Ref:2243793)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think it's very sad news indeed and certainly the end of an era going right back to the beginning of the World Championship. I'm not at Silverstone this year because the circumstances in which I like to go just didn't come together, but I shall try very hard to make them happen next year.

I hope it's one of those temporary ideas that gets changed, rather like the French GP at Magny Cours.

Unless there is suddenly a lot more land available at Donington than we know about, I don't see how they can make it into a circuit with "the very high standards we and FOM expect from a modern F1 circuit."

As others have said, it would certainly change the face of British motorsport completely.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2243798)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
This is going to screw up the whole of the British racing scene.

Donington destroyed and probably bankrupted for a deal I really can't see them sustaining for the full 10 years.

Silverstone, in order that it does not decline to Rockingham like levels of white elephantism , I can see bidding for just about everything of status that Brands Hatch currently gets. Which in turn....

Really really bad move Bernie, but I guess it was as much about settling personal scores as making the deal.
Absolutely right. I can't think of any way that this will be good for motor racing in Britain.

It's going to be a huge disaster. Silverstone has all the plans in place to improve facilities (and I've never been, but from what I can gather a lot has been done already improve access etc. in recent years) but Donington has absolutely nothing in the pipeline right now. I just can't imagine how on earth this is supposed to come together in 2 years. Surely it's impossible?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2243799)   #23
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
It might be Foulston/Octagon all over again.
It gets taken to the brink, Donington can't deliver or at least not to FOM's or FIA satisfaction. Back to Silverstone (after 1 year off the calender) ups the ante again.
The only losers will be...everyone apart from BCE.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2243800)   #24
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic news. Yes, Donington may be butchered, but it should retain its undulating character.

Silverstone is, by comparison, a bland facility run by one of the least customer focused companies around.

So many national championships, including touring cars, have moved away from hosting events at Silverstone because of their management style.

If we lost Donington and Brands Hatch from the Uk scene, I'd be upset. Silverstone is one venue I'd prefer to see as a housing estate.
Old 4 Jul 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2243803)   #25
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is terrible news. Surely Silverstone won't be able to find the money to redevelop it's facilities now, so when Donington can't host the race there'll be nowhere for the Grand Prix to go.

Given how long it took Silverstone to get access roads improved the idea the Donington can have the roads around the circuit widened in two years seems inconceivable. They'll end up sterilising Donington just to get a race that's financially unviable.

In the worst case scenario you end up with Silverstone unable to redevelop, Donington unable to host the race and no British Grand Prix.
Closed Thread