Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jan 2004, 23:58 (Ref:851744)   #51
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bishop

Even putting drum brakes on your Cooper will not make it LC&ES eligible despite your connections.

It is fun over here and I suspect that we'll be able to fully take use of the extra facilities.

See you at the Pom, and if not, at the Metropole.

Duncan

Translation for the benefit of "normal" people.

The LC&ES (Light Car & Edwardian section) is a club within a club for the owners of lower powered vintage cars and anything WW1 and older. Kevin is competition secretary, and a large number of us will be joining him in Llandridnod Wells soon for a cultural weekend. The Bishops Cooper is an FJ, so fits the spirit (apart from the age and lack of power) of the LC&ES, so hence his appearance in a Cammy Minor (opppss - I meant an MG M type).

Mrs B asks whether this is the new 2B's lemon? Are we safe from being told we're off topic?
Old 27 Jan 2004, 03:16 (Ref:851834)   #52
Anzaniste
Rookie

Anzaniste should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had to look in.
I think a forum is a bit like a wife, more than one is expensive, I've had the current one 40 years and don't intend to change now. Still 'cos a chap is on a diet it doesn't mean he can't look at the menu every now and then. This one is quite attractive though I can't see a smilie that says "harrumph" I also had to have a go at the picture bit. Picture is entitled "Tyre Testing in the Wet!"

John Turner, or any one else wanting to get their paper signed to join the VSCC can call in at the tyre shed at any VSCC speed meeting. We are a friendly bunch and won't force a tyre sale on you in exchange for a signature!! We have the advantage of being easy to locate at any meeting.
Attached Thumbnails
tyre testing in the wet2.jpg  

Last edited by Anzaniste; 27 Jan 2004 at 03:18.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 03:20 (Ref:851836)   #53
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Swift-1929
Shuffles in - hands in pocket - frendly faces!

Hello one and all - it seems strange in a new place - are the waters warm here?

K
Bring back Blubottle, and Little Jim and ......

"He's fallen in the water!!"

Goon but not forgotten

Now we're cooking! Yeah!!

Last edited by Andrew Fellowes; 27 Jan 2004 at 03:21.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 03:37 (Ref:851838)   #54
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only did one VSCC meeting, grid was allocated three days before qualifying, interesting way of doing things, -but great fun.

A bit far away now!
Old 27 Jan 2004, 08:28 (Ref:851943)   #55
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bishop Ranter, your grace, there is a reason for Stephen's monicker. He is genuinely the chap who jumped on the pitch invader at last year's GP.

I think "Priest Catcher" is a reasonable epithet for such a fellow - although we've always been a bit anxious when he's within sight of Canon Webber blessing the track at Goodwood.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 08:29 (Ref:851944)   #56
MGCooperman
Rookie

MGCooperman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome your eminence - the water is warm in this font of all knowledge and the smilies are better we can stop and get on with the matter in hand.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 08:40 (Ref:851954)   #57
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

"I feel a lot of rot set in with the decision, a few years back, that the competition side of the Club had to cover its costs.....

What on earth would the Club be like without competition???"

UNQUOTE

I was contemplating my earlier comments here above, and here are some thoughts.

(1) The decision on not susidising the Competitions of the VSCC led to the appointment of a PR person to impress potential sponsors.

(2) Considerable time effort and money spent on that policy over several years.

(3) Finally the appearance of sponsors at Donington.

(4) Dissent about that meeting being posted on the VSCC website Forum.

(5) The decision to hermetically seal the Forum to prevent sponsors reading critical comment. (Not yet implemented).

One reason that I can see for not having low profile race meetings subsidised by the general membership would be the enormous loss of face for our previous President that such a reversal of policy would lead to.

Ours is not a poor Club struggling to survive, and should not need to supress dissent. A friend of mine has tried repeatedly to keep this discussion to the fore by way of letters to the editor, only to be told that the subject has already been aired and no more letters please!

If you sup with the devil you need a long long spoon!

Without Competition the VSCC would degenerate into a load of polishers and rivet counters with Committee politics to match and if you don't think that likely I suggest you talk to anyone in the other Very old Car Club.

I love our Club and will be getting on with playing with my old cars this summer, but I do nothave to agree with everything it does. Long live the VSCC.

Last edited by eclectic; 27 Jan 2004 at 08:44.

Steve McQueen.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:07 (Ref:851963)   #58
Swift-1929
Rookie

Swift-1929 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome one and all

Andy, I like the photo - and I know GN's are tough but that wall looks a tad close!

Lets hope for a dry Welsh this year eh? Shall we say the Saturday route will be 'challenging' although we have arranged for 4x4's with ropes and water stations at strategic points for the needy...

Tim, I'm impressed at the way Stephen earned 'priest catcher'. All that running - one way to get exorcised
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:13 (Ref:851975)   #59
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
it proved how out of condition I really am. Still old age catches up with us all at some stage
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:21 (Ref:851984)   #60
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So this is the VSCC equivalent of Pitcairn Island
I have to confess I've been here before as I was informed that one of my cars (and I) had a mention in another thread.

I am pleased to see that while we are abroad, non of the criticism of the club has ceased, but that it is tempered with a reassurance that you all intend to continue to be involved in club events. I am sure that you would all be sorely missed as your contribution has been immense.

I hope that the detailed reasoning behind the VSCC forum changes is published in the next bulletin, and we can understand the reasoning. If not, surely we can organise a lobby group, get the topic on the AGM agenda, and send a delegation.

I like to think that, as the committee do not read the forum, the offending posts have been taken out of context. The people who have complained cannot IMHO have included complete threads, or indeed lemons, in their letters, simply individual posts, and this may have distorted meanings, inferences and understanding.

Any road up, I will continue to make my miniscule contribution to both houses in the hope that we can all pull together to sort out the fuss.

In response to an earlier post on the Measham, I did take a few, pretty poor, photos. We were too busy at the TCs to take any action shots, competitors regularly arrived in two's, three's and on one occasion seven at once!
Photos can be found here
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:26 (Ref:851989)   #61
pvmw
Rookie

pvmw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eclectic

One reason that I can see for not having low profile race meetings subsidised by the general membership would be the enormous loss of face for our previous President that such a reversal of policy would lead to.
This would be the ex-president who I'm told (allegedly) has since been angling to become president for life I assume??

I'm disappointed that the new committee members have had such little effect on current club policy, tho' I gather they are having to fight entrenched attitudes and self interest. I still reckon that, considering that the forum comprises only active members who are likely to vote, if a couple of forum members stood for the committee on some clearly declared policies they'd stand a good chance of getting in.

Roll on the AGM!!

Last edited by pvmw; 27 Jan 2004 at 09:27.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:31 (Ref:851997)   #62
Swift-1929
Rookie

Swift-1929 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know who has stood for committee this year - this will be apparent in the Feb newsletter, so it's far too late this year. Lets just wait and see...
Old 27 Jan 2004, 09:43 (Ref:852009)   #63
pvmw
Rookie

pvmw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know who has stood for committee this year -
Normally one gets to hear thro' the grapevine of at least a couple of candidates, but this year I haven't heard anything.

As you say, we'll find out next week - except for Eclectic, who might get his newletter sometime just before the AGM

Last edited by pvmw; 27 Jan 2004 at 09:44.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 11:35 (Ref:852120)   #64
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still have no Jan newsletter, furthermore everytime I try to download it from the website it crashes AoL.Do you think I might have been sent to Coventry!

(No, I'm not that paranoid.)

Steve McQueen.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 12:29 (Ref:852163)   #65
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Is there a French equivalent?
Old 27 Jan 2004, 12:38 (Ref:852174)   #66
GoThatWay
Rookie

GoThatWay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cannot think of a French equivalent to Coventry. Detroit would I guess be the only other city on the world to compare with Coventry in terms of our pre-occupation ??

Bernard (owner of three vehicular products from Coventry)
Old 27 Jan 2004, 12:44 (Ref:852183)   #67
exilegaas
Rookie

exilegaas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
it's far too late this year.
Same as last year, remember Hicky on the Exmoor (big Yellow Dodge with Vote Hicky on the sides)

Anyway sorry - Hello everyone - again.

So what is this party we've all crashed?

I think all car club committee's have the same issues. The TVRCC also made the wrong decision on their bulletin board, they went the freeware route. However I think it is planned to re-launch it with vBulletin - the engine in the back room here - only I think it costs a few hundred quid. Why spend money on Internet - we're a car club, and a magazine publisher

So the row is over the 'rrari lot. Oh dear, I guess better not mention Inv***a!

David
Old 27 Jan 2004, 12:46 (Ref:852185)   #68
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BugEyed

The changes to the Forum are not in themselves a reason to get too upset. However, they are symptomatic of the high handed approach of the Committee who are convinced that they know best and that any dissent from that view point is wrong and must be shouted down. The disgusting treatment of Donald Day at last years AGM made me wonder about the Committee, and their continuing adherence to the mantra of making the club the "prime organiser of historic events" hence taking on events jointly with the HSCC, BRDC and the BARC has soured my views further.
Duncan
If some of the members/committe get upset about others views how about a place like the parc ferme on here but say only for members? It could still be viewable as well and thus included everyone who wants to read it but stops 'spam posting' etc... hope it all goes well
Old 27 Jan 2004, 13:05 (Ref:852201)   #69
blackhands
Racer

blackhands should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I've come over to here from the VSCC forum. I shan't go back until its members only and a bit more private, when I will feel free to express my opinions fully - I've always felt restrained up to now, knowing its an open site.

I have visited this site on occasion - it persuaded me to volunteer to marshal MGCC events when I saw that they gave marshals free rucksacks (no I'm not really that cheap).

Going back to the thread, BugEyed's enthusiasm encouraged me to start marshalling again for the VSCC after a lay off due to disillusionment with the casual attitude etc. Whils't this feeling is creeping back again I don't feel that this forum is the place to air my views.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 13:36 (Ref:852235)   #70
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Welcome to Ten Tenths Blackhands, another Kentish chap! The rucksacks were rather posh you know
Old 27 Jan 2004, 14:25 (Ref:852310)   #71
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Is there a French equivalent?
My Collins Robert dictionary only gives 'mettre en quarantine' or 'boycotter' - more defintions than equivalent colloquialisms.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 14:48 (Ref:852331)   #72
Woofly
Rookie

Woofly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made it!

Hi guys, where's the bar .... its been a bit of a dry spell!

Frantically working on Fifi, new gears are almost finished so hopefully will be back at the Herefordshire although may be in need of a navigator...if I don't get it finished will probably come for a look anyway although not on the Norton 200 + miles each way is a bit much just for a beer and a natter especially as any delays mean riding in the dark!

Will probably miss next couple of London noggins - rehearsing for musical with the Loveley A but am going to the Phoenix on Thursday and Elsted on Friday (hmmm thats not the way to get Fifi back together)

Re Goodwood FOS - how do you get involved - would love to roar up the hill on the Norton - I think it would fit in with the day (constructive comments welcome from those deafened at Brooklands)

Anyway nice to be back in touch with you guys, this is a great site although its a bit like the transition from school to university - feel like I need to leave a trail of crumbs so I can find my way back!
Old 27 Jan 2004, 15:08 (Ref:852346)   #73
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
It's probably best to speak to Charles (Lord) March first. The Goodwood website is www.goodwood.co.uk then click on motorsport. You should be able to access some of the photographs of last years meeting to give you an idea of the wide variety of machinery that attend.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 15:16 (Ref:852355)   #74
Woofly
Rookie

Thanks PC, have been to FOS several times but don't know any of the people involved in driving, riding, organisig etc and do not know Lord March (although he is only about 15 miles from me in a straight line).
Old 27 Jan 2004, 15:17 (Ref:852357)   #75
Woofly
Rookie

This is a fantastic site, this reply box at the bottom of the page is very cool.