Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Feb 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1847267)   #1
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bunbury International Circuit is go!

Hi everyone just did some surfing and found this!

http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~New...~id~143539.htm
Old 21 Feb 2007, 22:08 (Ref:1847574)   #2
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's some good news, but I'm sorry to say, but if that's the final layout for the circuit in that photo from the launch, it's just another QLD raceway paperclip, but with an abnormality.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 00:57 (Ref:1847658)   #3
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
There's a new pimm website. This is going be be cool!!! Super GT, Formula Nippon, AFOS, FIA GT and GP Masters
Old 22 Feb 2007, 02:38 (Ref:1847694)   #4
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has their been any final development approvals or project financing put in place?

I hate to say it but it sounds like every other previous release, pretty much a wish list without the sustantial proof that the project has ticked any of the necessary boxes to begin construction. All this release does is state that certain series' will race here, if the track is in place. I suspect the announcement is just a tool to encourage new investors into the project.

Good luck getting this off the ground, but I am concerned that there isn't any juicy info available about deals to actually get the infrastructure in place (land acquisition, development approvals, construction contracts, financing). There appear to be plenty of people nodding their heads and in-principle agreements, but who has actually signed-off on anything yet?

I hope it goes ahead, but somehow I just think those who'll be required to cough up the money are yet to be convinced they'll get a return, and those who've put money up already are just seeing their investment diminish into thin air as that cash has, um, well gone.

I would have thought that given the lengthy delays in getting this off the ground, that PIMM would have taken this Asian Series package to an existing circuit in the interim, and got the cash rolling in. Surely if the series package which totally dominates most releases is viable, then the location isn't totally critical (F1, WRC, V8SC all manage event relocation).

Overall, great concept, questionable location, extremely difficult to execute when you are relying on finance from others and the income stream is full of contingent outcomes.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 03:03 (Ref:1847697)   #5
XW GT
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
XW GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just received a press release from CAMS saying that they are "unaware of plans to bring international events to bunbury circuit" They also say that they have been in contact with their Japanese equivalent body (JAF) which confirm that they've been in contact with the management of both Formula Nippon and the Japanese Super GT series to ensure that they have no intention of running their events in WA outside of the FIA's international authority.
"At this stage, CAMS has received no correspondence from PIMM regarding the proposed events"
Old 22 Feb 2007, 04:28 (Ref:1847720)   #6
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?P...e&ObjectID=855

Quote:
"Any legitimate international competition within Australia can only be organised under the auspices of the FIA and in this case, through their sole delegated authority for motor sport in Australia, CAMS," said Bob Glindemann, Acting Chief Executive Officer of CAMS.
The words, a new Challange come to mind.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 04:56 (Ref:1847726)   #7
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess CAMS wouldn't be invited to inspect the circuit until there is one.

Anyone got actual recent pics of the site and it's progress?

PIMM maybe?

In regard to PIMM going alone without CAMS, I reckon they could achieve this...but with the sanctioning of CAMS and its resources why would you want to?

Pay CAMS the fee, get the rubber stamp, get on with racing...enough delays already.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 06:56 (Ref:1847766)   #8
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its a job for Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivola
Hi everyone just did some surfing and found this!

http://www.crash.net/news_view~t~New...~id~143539.htm
Hasnt the circuit been named after Bob Jane & will be AASA affilated, not CAMS?

Has a sod been turned?

Nivola, has Simon Emmerling recovered from the bingle in Schnitzer 635 V8?
Old 22 Feb 2007, 07:10 (Ref:1847779)   #9
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm still not sure it will happen...

and if it does, why would Super GT and FNippon want to come? it's 2hrs from Perth and those series don't relate with the majority of boofheads (unfortunatly). If it does happen, crowds will be low and it won't last long.

You heard it here first

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 22 Feb 2007, 07:28 (Ref:1847789)   #10
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by XW GT
Just received a press release from CAMS saying that they are "unaware of plans to bring international events to bunbury circuit" They also say that they have been in contact with their Japanese equivalent body (JAF) which confirm that they've been in contact with the management of both Formula Nippon and the Japanese Super GT series to ensure that they have no intention of running their events in WA outside of the FIA's international authority.
"At this stage, CAMS has received no correspondence from PIMM regarding the proposed events"
Well-- if Cams say they no nothing about it isn't happening--right?
Old 22 Feb 2007, 07:30 (Ref:1847791)   #11
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester
I guess CAMS wouldn't be invited to inspect the circuit until there is one.

Anyone got actual recent pics of the site and it's progress?

PIMM maybe?

In regard to PIMM going alone without CAMS, I reckon they could achieve this...but with the sanctioning of CAMS and its resources why would you want to?

Pay CAMS the fee, get the rubber stamp, get on with racing...enough delays already.
There are alternatives-- why would you bother with Cams?
Old 22 Feb 2007, 07:31 (Ref:1847793)   #12
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy
Hasnt the circuit been named after Bob Jane & will be AASA affilated, not CAMS?

V8?
Where did you get that from?
Old 22 Feb 2007, 07:40 (Ref:1847800)   #13
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Google cached link.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 20:55 (Ref:1849397)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exciting news - but...

Not sure how many Perth locals would be willing to drive two and a half hours south to attend.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 23:59 (Ref:1849502)   #15
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, outside of the politics of who runs what, is the track and or the surrounding industrial infrastructure being constructed?
Can somebody in Perth provide some picures or feedbackfrom the local community?

Cheers
Old 23 Feb 2007, 13:00 (Ref:1849874)   #16
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuiE
I'm still not sure it will happen...
and if it does, why would Super GT and FNippon want to come? it's 2hrs from Perth and those series don't relate with the majority of boofheads (unfortunatly). If it does happen, crowds will be low and it won't last long.

You heard it here first
Despite the CAMS release rest assured that at least Super GT do want to come. In fact one of their representitives is in Perth as we speak working on a round for 2009.
They see no problem in CAMS not recognising the track or the event and have 100% faith in AASA and the team behind Bunbury.
If CAMS Japanese counterparts are saying it wont happen then they're as out of touch as CAMS is.
Rest assured if the track is built, and it's still a very big if. There will be at least a Super GT race there. Plus other Asian/Pacific events probably.
Super GT are very interested in expanding hence the Malaysian round and the fact that we'll be hopefully soon running extended highlights of the series on In Pit Lane.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 11:02 (Ref:1857111)   #17
kosher_pig
Rookie

kosher_pig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMS media release of ! March 2007 says track has no FIA approval and they still keep saying that any legitimate international competition within Australia can only be organised under the auspices of the FIA and thru thier sole delegate for motorsport in Australia........CAMS..............SO in that case how come AASA ran the Classic Adelaide..a well known INTERNATIONAL motorsport event?????
Old 3 Mar 2007, 14:12 (Ref:1857179)   #18
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosher_pig
CAMS media release of ! March 2007 says track has no FIA approval and they still keep saying that any legitimate international competition within Australia can only be organised under the auspices of the FIA and thru thier sole delegate for motorsport in Australia........CAMS..............SO in that case how come AASA ran the Classic Adelaide..a well known INTERNATIONAL motorsport event?????
Add to that at least the first Gold Coast indy which ran under Auscar sanctioning. having said that, the Bunbury website is claiming that the circuit will be FIA approved. Without CAMS there's no way that'll happen. They're also saying they want a round of the FIA GT again without CAMS it can't happen.
They're also saying that their first International race will be this December. In Malaysia they're reporting it as being the Asian Festival of Speed, but their calendar shows nothing.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1857807)   #19
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I said it before and will say it again this track will never be built.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 15:36 (Ref:1857993)   #20
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Despite the CAMS release rest assured that at least Super GT do want to come. In fact one of their representitives is in Perth as we speak working on a round for 2009.
They see no problem in CAMS not recognising the track or the event and have 100% faith in AASA and the team behind Bunbury.
If CAMS Japanese counterparts are saying it wont happen then they're as out of touch as CAMS is.
Rest assured if the track is built, and it's still a very big if. There will be at least a Super GT race there. Plus other Asian/Pacific events probably.
Super GT are very interested in expanding hence the Malaysian round and the fact that we'll be hopefully soon running extended highlights of the series on In Pit Lane.
I agree, IF (and that's a big if) it does get built, I thinkg Super GT will come, but it won't come again after the first time round IMO, unless they are contractually obliged to for x amount of years.

IF the building is going ahead, I dont' think it will be done by dec either, there is a massive skills shortage in WA and damn near everything takes forever to get built. A car wash at my work that was meant to take a week or 2 has taken 2 months so far and isn't done...

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 8 Mar 2007, 03:47 (Ref:1861142)   #21
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Add to that at least the first Gold Coast indy...
That's stretching it and then some. Champ Car as a USA based series, has only a token association with the FIA back in 1991. FIA's rep in the US, the SCCA is essentially toothless and is associated with club level events for the most part. Even today its only series of any note is ALMS.

Champ Car is a little different now, with so many more non-USA events on their calednar but back in 1991 the Gold Coast was the only one.

Japan is quite a different kettle of fish.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 04:51 (Ref:1861151)   #22
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, WA *could* suceed (sp?) from Australia, become it's own country and appoint itself an ASN (thier own or another organisation).
Old 8 Mar 2007, 07:26 (Ref:1861177)   #23
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
That's stretching it and then some. Champ Car as a USA based series, has only a token association with the FIA back in 1991. FIA's rep in the US, the SCCA is essentially toothless and is associated with club level events for the most part. Even today its only series of any note is ALMS.

Champ Car is a little different now, with so many more non-USA events on their calednar but back in 1991 the Gold Coast was the only one.

Japan is quite a different kettle of fish.

But at the time weren't there threats from CAMS that if any CAMS licenced drivers raced in any of the support events then they would be banned from racing in Australia?

It never happened, of course, but it caused some heartache at the time.

After the efforts of the NASCAR and AUSCAR drivers that weekend it is doubtful that they deserved a CAMS licence.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1861187)   #24
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
But at the time weren't there threats from CAMS that if any CAMS licenced drivers raced in any of the support events then they would be banned from racing in Australia?

It never happened, of course, but it caused some heartache at the time.

After the efforts of the NASCAR and AUSCAR drivers that weekend it is doubtful that they deserved a CAMS licence.
Well it kind of did, not neccessarily for the drivers, protected as they were by their public profile but I have been told there was retribution against officials.

But CAMS threatening drivers was largely irrelevant to the point that Champ Car did not subscribe to an ASN so did not need to comply with CAMS or the FIA and I do not believe IPL's comparison to be valid. Essentially the US is de-regulated.

What is a more valid comparison is AJGT have staged a race in recent times at Laguna Seca. If that was done outside the auspicies of the SCCA then that could explain why they might not see the need to comply with CAMS. Does anyone know if the Laguna Seca event was held with the approval of the US ASN?

If Bunbury was to go directly to the FIA for circuit approval without talking to CAMS, would the FIA support CAMS or would they not care about local politics? The most senior australian official internationally is Garry Connelly, a rallyman, a branch of the sport where the politics of CAMS vs AASA does not exist as AASA has no interest in Rallying. When the various French or Belgian or Italian official that is contacted by Bunbury goes to Connelly to ask about this situation, will he have CAMS's back?

Questions questions questions...
Old 8 Mar 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1861360)   #25
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please keep in mind that the FIA do not place a "limit" of one ASN per Country. My information is that in the US of A there are five ASN's and they all co-operate and work through a single (elected) delegate!

AASA will be the second in this country and by 2008, VESCE will be the third!!!!!