Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 29 May 2000, 05:19 (Ref:10984)   #1
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Something interesting has happened...

A few weeks ago..late one night, I pulled into a Shell Service Station to obtain some lovely Leaded/Super petrol (well - what Shell calls leaded - which is actually their "half-lead").

But there was none...instead, they had a new fuel, "no-lead"..(lets not get confused with Optimax..it aint that)..and no..I am not talking "Unleaded"...this "new" fuel has been made for pre 80's cars.. I asked the guy behind the counter if it was ok for my car, he said "it was made for your car...it is the replacement for the "half-leaded" we have previously had" (eyeing of my excellent 1973 holden as he spoke)...so..I put in..

BIG MISTAKE!! dont be fooled...I have never had my car run so bad..I ended up running it dry and going straight to Mobil...filled it with some nice strong leaded petrol..and my car has returned to it former purring self.

The question that is nagging me is:

What are we going to do in a few years, when they eventually stop making leaded petrol? Is it going to be a case of *mix it yourself at home* to run our beautiful old cars...or do you think some oil companies will still retain good old leaded petrol? and if so, at what cost? gotta tell you guys, I am beginning to worry...

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!
Old 29 May 2000, 20:31 (Ref:10985)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the UK we have Lead Replacement Petrol. I've never used it prefering to use unleaded with an additive.

Not sure where you live Diabando. But I assume its outside the EEC?
Old 31 May 2000, 02:28 (Ref:10986)   #3
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I live in Australia

How long have you guys had the Lead Replacement Petrol? And what type of addititve (brand) do you use?

Ta!
Old 31 May 2000, 23:43 (Ref:10987)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it depends on your needs. We race the Capri V6 on a mix of premium unleaded (95 ron) and Millers CVL additive. This is designed to stop valve recession under extreme conditions like racing. It is also an octane booster so there was no need to retard the ignition.

I run my MGB on unleaded and Millers VSP additive. Again there has been no need to retard the ignition. Also performance has improved to the levels that the original four star leaded gave.

I have never used lead replacement fuel and indeed there is a story that it will be phased out at the end of this year because of a lack of sales. Personally I wouldn’t recommend it.
Old 1 Jun 2000, 21:31 (Ref:10988)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't touch LRP with a barge pole!
We use premium unleaded with Superblend 2000, a potasium based additive. That one's not an octain booster, but it suits our purpose.
Old 2 Jun 2000, 04:44 (Ref:10989)   #6
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Thanks Peter and bluebottle!

There is not a chance on this fine earth I am ever going to put that LRP near my car again...

You have both given me the advice that will be duly stored and remembered when the time comes...the additive products may change over time, but obviously premium unleaded as the base is the way to go.

Thankfully, Shell is the only oil company out here that has changed, so for now, I still have Mobil, BP, Castrol etc etc to get my leaded fuel.

Your advice is appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 2 Jun 2000, 08:48 (Ref:10990)   #7
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bluebottle,

LRP (for which there are no standards here in the UK) uses a sodium based additive, which is not dissimilar in properties to potassium cf auto engines.

There have been some grave concerns expressed from several quarters regarding the use of these alkali metals in high performance engines (which includes most modern auto and bike engines, and most race engines). Saab in particular have noted heavy wear in the valve area and pitting damage to the turbos.

There are a number of product out there that replace Lead with another heavy metal...OK it kind of defeats the objective of removing heavy metals, but that another issue.....
...normally manganese which provides the same features as lead, though requiring higher concentrations.

Millers and Nitrox are two that I know of.

IMHO Unless you're running a rotary like me <g> use a lead or mananganese product and avoid the alkali metals.

IanC
(Falling off soap-box!)

Old 9 Jun 2000, 21:48 (Ref:16499)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I've heard about some of these problems, although none of my engines have turbo's or could be regarded as high performance!
I seem to remember reading in Triumph World that some environmental body was wanting to ban the manganese additivefor some reason, but then they also want to ban cars, and ban fun!!
I had a look recently at the list of U.K. petrol stations selling real leaded petrol- but there are none near me!