Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Jan 2002, 16:05 (Ref:202741)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Clubs

As a driver I belong to the CSCC and the BARC, that takes about £150.00 out of my pocket before I start to think about runing costs rebuilds, entry fees etc. Now, I have read elswhere that Marshals are receiving short shrift from some organisers (and as there's only one major UK one, we won't mention names), so I wondered if you peeps might have some suggestions as to how your "lot" could be improved.

For my part I think it would be good for the CSCC or similar clubs to have marshalling members who would attend all of club's events. They'd also need to be members of the MRMC so there's two subscritpions, but I see some benefits to both sides of the armco.

Thoughts people?
Old 23 Jan 2002, 10:42 (Ref:203091)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, I'm happy just being a member of the the Marshal's Club (BMMC) and leave it at that, but be on the availability list distribution of BARC, BRDC, AMOC, BRSCC (SW) and HSCC. I'm not sure what further benefits I'd get from being a member of a "racing" club. Perhaps you could expand on what you see as the advantages Peter?

As for improving our lot, I have read the comments about BRSCC (SE) not distributing their availablility list to non-members, and this strikes me as stupid in a time when Marshals numbers are falling.

As for improving our lot, Start on time, don't fanny around during the day, and finish before 6pm are the main one I'd like to see
Old 23 Jan 2002, 11:57 (Ref:203129)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Peter,

Once again I agree whole heartedly with Marshal. Meetings that start on time and that do not drag on into the evenings would be a great help. I'm a member of BARC, BRSCC, BRDC and BMMC and I guess it costs me over £100 per year in membership fees. I'm not complaining as I choose to be a member of those clubs. However I also marshal for any club who needs help as long as I'm available on the day, so that would include the likes of AMOC, 750, MG Owners et al.

One or two clubs will provide a breakfast voucher or a small packed lunch which is a very nice touch and much appreciated by all of us. Some clubs hold a marshals raffle after the event which is also well received.

In order to improve our lot as you say, I think we would all ask for better conditions behind the armco barriers. Often we have to run to an accident carrying an extinguisher while trying to dodge rabbit holes or pot holes. Surely it wouldn't be too difficult for circuits to tarmac the area behind the armco?

On very hot days it would also be a nice gesture if organising clubs were to send some water bottles round. Most of us do carry plenty of water, but there are always the few who forget and suffer as a result.

Being able to park our cars within the circuit is also a nice touch, or if it's a long circuit meeting (al la Brands GP) to have transport available to get us to our posts rather than walk a mile or so carrying heavy bags (full of cold water hahaha).

Lastly, Marshal and I would like to welcome you all to the Marshals Forum and we hope it makes a serious contribution to 10-10th's!

Stephen.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:10 (Ref:203136)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen has it spot on...

Keeping the day going well is the most important thing. 750 MC days always seem to go well at Cadwell Park (all finished before 5 adn doxens of races done), but then again I've been there at 6:45 on BRSCC race days.. it's a long way home and it makes a serious difference.

I think the MSA need to get a grip of the situation, as it's just little things that can be done that make the difference to us all. I see no benefit of being a member of any club apart from the BMMC (and i only do that for insurance reasons!)
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:15 (Ref:203141)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The same can be said for Lydden Hill Dan. 12.00pm start and finished by 17.30. Within that time you can get 10 practice sessions and 10 races!
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:23 (Ref:203146)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And sometimes a sprint in the morning as well???
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:27 (Ref:203148)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Afraid not. No engines are allowed to be started before 12.00 at Lydden.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 12:34 (Ref:203152)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
That's interesting to know.. as I was told they held sprints before race meetings sometimes. Was thinking about sprinting in the morning and then marshal the afternoon..

But must still get down there before the end of the year.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 15:12 (Ref:203228)   #9
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshal conditions

Hi all again,
I will put my thoughts to marshal conditions later as for Lydden its only on Saturdays we have a sprint in the morning with all the cars getting at least 2 runs and we useually have 30 - 40 cars then 7- 9 races after lunch. Makes a good package.
Richard Sneader...
Old 23 Jan 2002, 15:32 (Ref:203231)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks Richard, I hadn't realised the ban on noise didn't extend to Saturday's. You live and learn don't you!
Old 25 Jan 2002, 21:42 (Ref:204452)   #11
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can most often tell the best run meetings by the numbers of marshals that do turn out. 750mc for example seem to have the organisation well sorted with decent sized grids making entertaining racing and often good numbers of marshals. You tend to find that it is the more experienced marshal that turns out for meetings like these because they have learnt their lesson from poorly organised international meeting where the gaps between races last for longer than the actual racing does!

You can always tell when the racing is going to be good because the regular marshals always show their faces.
Old 25 Jan 2002, 21:48 (Ref:204453)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
One of my pet hates is the amount of time we are expected to stand around doing nothing at some meetings, TOCA are famous for it, and we are not allowed to leave our posts and get treated like school kids. It's about time some of the organisers took note of the time we give for nothing and at least gave us some credit for having a few brain cells to rub together.
Old 3 Feb 2002, 19:34 (Ref:209794)   #13
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Steven.
How many times have i mentioned on the yahoo site, about doing something about the problems we all face,nobody wants to do anything about it,nobody, is us marshals.I said before christmas that we should all gang up, there was no show,with the infamous words "nuff said" im going down the pub!
Old 4 Feb 2002, 11:43 (Ref:210027)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hi Rick,

You are right in what you say but I feel we should take the 'diplomatic' route. As we have anual training days coming up soon, why don't we ALL ask the BMMC rep for some up to date feedback from the working parties that have been set up specifically to deal with these problems?

Stephen.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 20:55 (Ref:210349)   #15
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
One of my pet hates is the amount of time we are expected to stand around doing nothing at some meetings, TOCA are famous for it.
Well we have only had to deal with TOCA once, when the BTCC came over to Mondello last summer, and I have to agree with you on this one Stephen. Most of our marshals said it was the most boring day ever spent at Mondello.
Apparently the BTCC drivers and TOCA loved Mondello Park, and can't wait to come back, I think they've already scheduled at least one w/e for 2002 and there was talk of a night-time race. However, most marshals here seem to be less enamoured with TOCA & I think it'll be harder for us to get marshals to a TOCA meet at Mondello THIS time, now that we've experienced one.
Old 4 Feb 2002, 20:57 (Ref:210351)   #16
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by wickedwitch; 4 Feb 2002 at 21:01.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 12:31 (Ref:210563)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
WE certainly struggle to get enough marshals for the Saturday of TOCA meetings. Sunday's are not so bad but I rather feel the numbers who volunteer for Sundays are dropping off too!