Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 25 Mar 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2852950)   #1
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
kylekosir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much will Karting help me?

After doing last minute check for my racing team, It looks like I won't be running in Canadian Touring Car this season. Now I need something to keep my driving up. After seeing Schumi Back when he was going to make his come back in F1 a couple of years ago, he was doing numerous karting racing.

I'm debating wether to get back into Karting and run ICC Junior Shifter. My mechanic and I raced Eachother in Vee's.
If there is any other ways to keep my driving up let me know
kyle
Old 25 Mar 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2852965)   #2
bendy
Rookie

bendy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I suggest Superkarts? Here in Britain we lap about 3 seconds a lap faster than BTCC so the lap times are fairly similar. Whilst they are more like single seaters than touring cars, they will certainly help keep your racecraft up, at a similar pace to touring cars, and they're also bloody good fun and not that expensive! I would certainly recommend doing 250s and not ICC, you want to be out on the big tracks doing similar laptimes to touring cars where areo comes into play.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2852966)   #3
kylekosir
Rookie

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
kylekosir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
Can I suggest Superkarts? Here in Britain we lap about 3 seconds a lap faster than BTCC so the lap times are fairly similar. Whilst they are more like single seaters than touring cars, they will certainly help keep your racecraft up, at a similar pace to touring cars, and they're also bloody good fun and not that expensive! I would certainly recommend doing 250s and not ICC, you want to be out on the big tracks doing similar laptimes to touring cars where areo comes into play.
I don't think we have Superkarts in Canada. We would have to go to the States for that. Here in Canada, we wouldn't have the oppurtunity to race karts like that on race tracks, as there are only a few good ones here. I will deff do some research tho. The big one is the Florida winter tour here. Robert Wickes (WSR) and Daniel Morad (GP3) seem to race that every year.

If there is anything else let me know
Old 11 Apr 2011, 04:36 (Ref:2861674)   #4
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
GT-Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karting is great

Hi Kylekosir,

Karting will in no doubt help you one big time. It's affordable, has a nice air of simplicity with a great fun factor. You can do lots of seat hours for little cost compared to cars.

However, you need to keep in mind that it is your duty to re-simulate what you learn in the kart you are training on to the car that you will actualy be racing. It sounds little technic but it is simple. Think of it. Each machine is different.

Leisure karts that I use drive (SODI Karts RX-7) very different than proper shifter karts as they are only 100% braked from the rear tyres (axels), the fronts are free rolling, thus trail braking is not possible in most of the type of corners - as the dynamics of trail braking depends on the yaw movement caused by the front end gripping - Just imagine trail braking with your car using hand brakes. It is very similar. It is possible but only in some slow-med speed open wide corners or on the other end super-tight corners.

So proper shifter karts drive more like cars / single seaters than the entry level karts. But It is all wheels, rubber and and an engine so I make a good use of it learning!!

Track days are also a great way to keep in shape, you have achance to drive the car that you will be racing. I use my road going Renault Sport Clio 182. This is one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.

One little humble tip; a car with supreme driving dynamics like the Clio, most Euro hot hatches, Caterhams, most Porsches, most Lotuses (like the Evora or the Two-Eleven) will impove your level. The machines teaches its master. Sounds like a Japanese cartoon thing but it is very true. Try it to belevie it.

I hope I did add something.

Cheers,
Hamad
Old 11 Apr 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2862047)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Most race drivers continue to compete or practice in karts as a means of keeping their skills sharpened, apart from those who didn't do karting on the way up (the minority).
Old 16 Nov 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2987306)   #6
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try something like KZ, close exciting racing... and its a shifter.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3060150)   #7
danemsteve
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
danemsteve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah try somthing like a superkart.... look at lewis hamalton for example he started from karting.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3094079)   #8
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendy View Post
Really? What kind of Superkarts do you run over there?
Old 12 Jul 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3105702)   #9
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danemsteve View Post
yeah try somthing like a superkart.... look at lewis hamalton for example he started from karting.
People have got to stop throwing Lewis Hamiltons names at anything karting and do research.

He was out of karts and in cars before he was OLD ENOUGH to race a superkart
Old 1 Apr 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3227742)   #10
TeamMBM
Rookie

TeamMBM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually he started in a full season of formula renault when he was 17,
He raced in formula A karting (equivalent of KF2) which you need to be 16 to do the same as super karts and then did FRenault winter series age 16 and the the next year full FRenault
Old 1 Apr 2013, 22:04 (Ref:3227767)   #11
TeamMBM
Rookie

Does: Fast in a kart = Fast in a Single Seater

If you are a quick kart driver does that mean you will be a fast single seater car driver?
Old 1 Apr 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3227770)   #12
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, you're going to be brilliant in cars. Maybe a sponsor will read your posts?
Old 1 Apr 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3227772)   #13
TeamMBM
Rookie

Delete please
Old 1 Apr 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3227775)   #14
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delete what precisely?

And the answer to your initial question is yes, as long as its a decent level of karting, not a mates stag do of course.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3227878)   #15
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMBM View Post
Actually he started in a full season of formula renault when he was 17,
He raced in formula A karting (equivalent of KF2) which you need to be 16 to do the same as super karts and then did FRenault winter series age 16 and the the next year full FRenault
MSA Yearbook:

Quote:
F2.0 Group Senior – Gearbox
F2.1 Class Formula 250 National

F2.8.3 Age. The class is open to any driver aged 16 or over on short circuits, or aged 17 and over
on long circuits.
And for your information Superkarts are widely know to be only for Long Circuits, not Short circuit, there usually referred to as 250 nationals.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 23:21 (Ref:3228294)   #16
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ping a message to Flavio Galtieri, I think he is looking for someone to test his new Super Formula Vee contraption complete with slicks and wings and an Audi R8 V10!
Old 5 Apr 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3229670)   #17
S.Moss
Racer

England
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
S.Moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMBM View Post
If you are a quick kart driver does that mean you will be a fast single seater car driver?
Not necessarily 2 completely different disciplines. Most kart drivers have never driven something with a gearbox until they step into cars / single seaters so its rather an unknown for them. Somebody that races ICC / 250's etc to single seater would have a better head start.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 21:20 (Ref:3229709)   #18
Secret squirrel
Rookie

Secret squirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Booooorrrrriiiiingggg, are you stillllllll seriously asking this question!!!!! What answers are you expecting? Nobody can answer this ridiculous question!!!!!!!
Old 5 Apr 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3229718)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is history here so let's just close the thread.