Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 2 Mar 2006, 06:03 (Ref:1534384)   #1
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMA Supercross 2006

This season is turning into one of the greats over the last couple of years. With a 3 way tussle that has only emerged from some rider mistakes and a penalty handed out from the AMA to Ricky Charmichael. Reed has been consistent in 3rd while Stewart and Charmichael haven't been running up the front?
One question i have been wondering is where is Kevein Windham this year?
Whats everyone else view on the season so far?
Old 4 Mar 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1536151)   #2
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has been a great season so far, but this fuel thing has put a massive stain on the whole thing, for me.

K-Dub broke his arm pre-season, he's currently commentating (and doing an excellent job, too) on the webcasts. Should be back for the outdoors.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 07:13 (Ref:1537078)   #3
the man
Veteran

Thanks for the heads up on K-Dub

Yeah the tussle has been good so far, but i would like to see Reed,Charmichael and stewart go for it straight for 20 laps. That would be excellent

The fuel issue has put a dark spot on the championship this year but i can't still see how the AMA and FIM came to their decisions? I can't wait to hear what Reed and Stewart will ahve to say bout the topic as they had a points penalty put against their names in the last 2 years.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1537585)   #4
Pondo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man
Thanks for the heads up on K-Dub

Yeah the tussle has been good so far, but i would like to see Reed,Charmichael and stewart go for it straight for 20 laps. That would be excellent

The fuel issue has put a dark spot on the championship this year but i can't still see how the AMA and FIM came to their decisions? I can't wait to hear what Reed and Stewart will ahve to say bout the topic as they had a points penalty put against their names in the last 2 years.
Think everyone's waiting for that - there have been a few glimpses of it, but the TRULY epic battle hasn't lasted the full 20 laps yet - still, the racing has been better than it has been for a long time.

I think the AMA and FIM state that Ricky got his points back because there were discrepencies over how they both tested the fuel - although the limits are the same in both rule books, the way they test is different, so the AMA test returns illegal fuel, and the FIM test returns legal fuel. Personally, I can't see how you can run one series under two rule books - to me , it just sounds like a big Ricky Appeasement plan, I feel a bit disappointed in the guy although, ultimately, I can't blame him, as he's got to be favourite for the title right now.

I DID listen to the post-race press conference, but all I can remember is that Ricky sounded relieved, someone said they agreed with the points being returned because it's a stupid rule, and someone else said rules are rules, the points should have stayed gone - but I can't remember what James said, and what Chad said! If you go to www.supercross.cc.com look for links to the webcast or archived webcast, you can skip through to the press conference, usualy makes for interesting listening (even if I can't remember what was said - long day at Hawkstone yesterday... )
Old 24 Mar 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1559555)   #5
the man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondo
I think the AMA and FIM state that Ricky got his points back because there were discrepencies over how they both tested the fuel - although the limits are the same in both rule books, the way they test is different, so the AMA test returns illegal fuel, and the FIM test returns legal fuel. Personally, I can't see how you can run one series under two rule books - to me , it just sounds like a big Ricky Appeasement plan, I feel a bit disappointed in the guy although, ultimately, I can't blame him, as he's got to be favourite for the title right now.

I
Thanks for clearing that up mate

But it seems that it is a 2 horse race for the title now, as Chad separated his shoulder in training i believe?, Didn't catch the Daytona Race as ESPN in Australia don't show it, but from what i read it was a pretty good race for a track which was prepared in a week including plans.
Old 25 Mar 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1560516)   #6
Pondo
Rookie

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up mate

But it seems that it is a 2 horse race for the title now, as Chad separated his shoulder in training i believe?, Didn't catch the Daytona Race as ESPN in Australia don't show it, but from what i read it was a pretty good race for a track which was prepared in a week including plans.
Yeah, I think so, just between Ricky and James - tell you what, though, yer man Chad's got a big set of hairy boys down there, he isn't giving up. Seperated shoulder or not, he ran as low as ninth about halfway through Orlando, but battled his way up to fifth by the end. He got third in the second timed practice session tonight, as well. BIG balls, I'm telling you...

But I think it's likely to be between #4 and #7 for the AMA title now - Ricky's got enough of a lead that he can afford to let James win and get second himself for the rest of the year, and still take the AMA title. From what Ricky was saying post-race at Orlando, I don't think he knows how he could match Stewart on pure pace, anyway.

BTW, not sure what this site's opinion on BitTorrent is, but if they're agreeable, I could explain how you could get to watch Daytona...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1562047)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I have watched the races for the last few years, when I see them on. So somewhat irregularly, but not at all uncommonly.

However, I could only ever be described as a casual fan.

As such, I've not been able to work out the AMA/FIM mix thing. It has consistently fried my head.

How does that work?
Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:11 (Ref:1562584)   #8
Pondo
Rookie

Good question, mate.

The political bumpf -
Traditionally, as you know, supercross has been pretty much an American phenomena, so the AMA title is the biggest and most prestigious. However, about three or four years ago, there was a huge battle in American supercross between Clear Channel and JamSports, promotors who both wanted to run the series, with the AMA stuck in the middle, which I won't attempt to explain here (at least partly because I don't know what happened ). I think the AMA signed a deal with JamSports to run the series and Clear Channel, who were promoting it already, went to the FIM and asked if they wanted a deal to run a World Supercross series in direct competition, which the FIM would have been more than happy with (supercross has by far the biggest attendance and viewing figures in motocross). As the AMA are (I think) subservient to the FIM in the same kind of way that the BRDC are to the FIA, the Clear Channel series could run pretty much wherever they wanted (including America), and the AMA would both be unable to stop it and would lose whatever political clout they have at the FIM. So the AMA had to do a smart u-turn and re-sign with Clear Channel, as a result of which the FIM gave Clear Channel a threatening smile and said "as we helped you get that AMA contract, how about some of that World Supercross stuff you were offering?" Which leads us on to....

The more practical bumpf -
The SXGP World Championship is just the AMA Supercross Championship with the addition of two pre-season races, held outside the USA. Originally, they were held away from the continental United States (Holland, Spain, Switzerland, etc), but they struggled to draw the major stars, who would far rather be testing in the Californian sun than disrupting the build-up to the season with a trip abroad, especially when the teams were against it in terms of cost - what they recouped in media coverage was far less than what it cost to send their stars with all their teams to support them. Most recently, the two "World" rounds have both been held in Canada, which has encouraged the top riders to take part, but kind of makes a mockery of the "World Championship" tag. The coverage you see, however, will make as big a deal as they can out of it, as the WSXGP idea is what allowed Clear Channel to retain the AMA series.

The real-world bumpf -
The AMA series consists of sixteen rounds, all held in the US.
The World SXGP series consists of two rounds held outside the US, plus 15 of the 16 AMA rounds (Daytona doesn't count for WSXGP - it's the only supercross not promoted by Clear Channel, but is big enough and old enough not to have to worry about what anybody else thinks).

Effectively, the AMA series is still the one with all the history and the prestige - the WSXGP title is just a nice little bauble. Ricky will be quite happy to keep getting second behind James as he'll still be crowned the AMA champion at the end of the series - the World crown would be nice, but he won't risk the AMA title to go for it...

Crikey - my first novel.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1562592)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Right, great, that has cleared my areas of bafflement nicely. Thanks, Pondo, that is much appreciated!

I don't see a great deal of choice for Ricky other than trying to finish behind James...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1562599)   #10
Pondo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Right, great, that has cleared my areas of bafflement nicely. Thanks, Pondo, that is much appreciated!

I don't see a great deal of choice for Ricky other than trying to finish behind James...
Heh! Just glad it didn't make you fall asleep...

A couple of years ago, Ricky would have just ridden harder and harder, and either crashed or won (that's kind of how he toppled the mighty McGrath). Now the shoe's on the other foot - James is the new young guy with blistering speed, but frequent "mishaps", Ricky's the seasoned pro, no longer the fastest, maybe, but just as race-smart as they come. RC knows better than anyone what it takes to win titles...

Outdoors is another matter - Ricky's going to kick ass...
Old 27 Mar 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1562611)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
One of these years, I am going to have to make my way to one of the Canadian rounds. Well, I will happily go to a northern US one too if the customs policies are changed sometime.

There is just something utterly immense about motocross/supercross, whichever term one wants to use, but particularly outdoor I have to say.

It is just such a magnificently insane sport.
Old 27 Mar 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1562627)   #12
Pondo
Rookie

I love it, mate. I don't think there's another form of motorsport where the pilot is so big a part of the equation, and there's certainly no other motorsport as expressive - you can really see how hard the top guys are trying. To watch someone like Ricky or James on the limit is so special, even on television, you know you're watching a performance that only a bare handful of people on the whole face of the planet could create. And Everts - he looks boring on TV, but to watch him in real life leaves you open-mouthed, he makes it look so easy you wonder why no-one else is going that quick.

Sorry - I've gone a bit enthusiastic. I'm glad you enjoy it, mate, it's not the biggest sport in the world, and I don't think it ever will be, but I'm glad you can appreciate what you're seeing.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1570112)   #13
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondo
Yeah, I think so, just between Ricky and James - tell you what, though, yer man Chad's got a big set of hairy boys down there, he isn't giving up. Seperated shoulder or not, he ran as low as ninth about halfway through Orlando, but battled his way up to fifth by the end. He got third in the second timed practice session tonight, as well. BIG balls, I'm telling you...

But I think it's likely to be between #4 and #7 for the AMA title now - Ricky's got enough of a lead that he can afford to let James win and get second himself for the rest of the year, and still take the AMA title. From what Ricky was saying post-race at Orlando, I don't think he knows how he could match Stewart on pure pace, anyway.

BTW, not sure what this site's opinion on BitTorrent is, but if they're agreeable, I could explain how you could get to watch Daytona...
Definately agree, Chad is tough. I remember seeing him race at the Superdome in Sydney quite a few years back with a broken foot. He could barely walk and was still racing hard and jumping the huge triple.

Last weekend, he looked to be heaps more comfortable than he was the previous week, given that that the shoulder is pretty bad.

Also, for the aussie fans, Burner is consistently getting great starts. Doesn't have the outright pace of RC, James and Reedy, but easily making the main each week.

Ricky's lead looks to big but noone can match James on outright speed. He is amazingly quick. Only a problem for Ricky will give him any chance now, but you never know. Ricky has been making some mistakes. Can't wait for the next round.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1594349)   #14
the man
Veteran

With the 15th round won and done, it all leads to Vegas. I read the report from the Dallas race and couldn't believe what happened. Chad won the event and is only 2 points behind Ricky, so it comes down to the wire like it did between them two in 2003 when it was Chad's frist year in the 250cc class. But we can't forget Bubba who is only 10 points behind and can still win.
I say bring on Vegas
Old 26 Apr 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1595625)   #15
Pondo
Rookie

Oo, yeah - Dallas ripped it wide open. Two races left, and it's ALL to play for...
Old 26 Apr 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1595814)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Stewart must be regretting that muck-up...it was quite an interesting race, no doubt about it.

Is the photographer OK?

We need things to transpire in the next round that enables it to be a 3-way tie going into the final round, .
Old 27 Apr 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1596223)   #17
krypto71
Racer

OMG, I just finished watching the Dallas event!!! Can you believe we have 10 points separating them!!! Reedy rode a brilliant race, patience pays off! As others have said, lets hope it is just as close come Vegas in a couple of weeks.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1596955)   #18
the man
Veteran

Quote:
Is the photographer OK?
HOw big was that hit, i was suprised that he got up from it.

Quote:
We need things to transpire in the next round that enables it to be a 3-way tie going into the final round, .
It would be great to see a 3 way battle but i guess RC will ride smart and try to stay in front of Chad and vice versa for Chad he will want to stay in front of Ricky, but James will go out there like he has and hang it all out, and hope for the best results possible.

I thought the track was a really great mix of technical sections and some good passing opportunities.

Was it me or did Chad and Bubba touch bikes in mid air either in teh main or in their heat race?
Old 28 Apr 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1597189)   #19
Pondo
Rookie

Quote:
HOw big was that hit, i was suprised that he got up from it.

It would be great to see a 3 way battle but i guess RC will ride smart and try to stay in front of Chad and vice versa for Chad he will want to stay in front of Ricky, but James will go out there like he has and hang it all out, and hope for the best results possible.

I thought the track was a really great mix of technical sections and some good passing opportunities.

Was it me or did Chad and Bubba touch bikes in mid air either in teh main or in their heat race?
I think all the photographers were ok, I've not heard that anyone was injured and most of them have posted interviews about it...

3 way battle would be mighty - only two rounds left, it's still all to play for.... James needs the others to mess up (or get taken out...), but right now, Chad has a genuine shout.

Stewart and Preston got REAL up close and personal like at the start of the main - I don't think they touched, but I tell you what - there wasn't much in it...
Old 6 May 2006, 08:00 (Ref:1601603)   #20
Pondo
Rookie

You guys in here still watching? Last round at Vegas tonight, Ricky and Chad tied on points, James just five behind. It's going to be epic...
Old 10 May 2006, 03:29 (Ref:1604743)   #21
krypto71
Racer

Watched it last night. James is definately the man! Congratulations must go to RC, he was fast, and didn't make any mistakes. I was dissappointed that Chad couldn't get closer to him, but he was lapping as quick as he was.

The Vegas track was awesome. How good was the dirt track section

Now the question I have is whats the story with Carmichael? Why is he going into semi-retirement next year? I think I've heard bits and pieces about nascar... Is he scared of going another full season against bubba?? (tongue in cheek)

Seriously, I would be awesome to see them all battle it out again in December, adding in the guys who are going to step up from the lites.

Also, anyone know if Speed tv cover the outdoors?
Old 10 May 2006, 05:26 (Ref:1604775)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I am semi-surprised Carmichael is going to do any next year. It is pretty plain to see that he would, more than likely, not be able to beat Stewart next year (working on the premise we won't see Stewart bailing as much next season). I am certain this is why he won't do another full season, as he knows, ultimately, he will just end up being defeated: in going part-time he can always rely on the fact of it "never being known" what may have happened had he competed the whole year, and, if he is really lucky, he might beat Stewart here or there in any he does take part in.

Regarding the question about Speed's coverage of outdoor, well, I have assumed that they will show it in some guise. I have had a look in the listings and that, though, and I don't think I can see it...check out the PROGRAM LIST HERE, and let me know if you have any greater success than me.
Old 11 May 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1606256)   #23
Pondo
Rookie

Carmichael said awhile back on an MX DVD that, if he was working as hard as he is now and not winning, he'd retire. I think that James's potential has made that a very real possibilty, so it's time to leave the full-time circuit. To be fair, remember that Ricky has ruled motocross for a long time - he's never lost an outdoor championship, has never failed to win a championship he's defended, has never missed an outdoor national, and has twice won all 24 motos in an outdoor season. Those sort of figures are hugely unprecedented, there's far more for him to lose by putting that sort of record up against a younger and fired-up James Stewart than there is for him to win.

The NASCAR rumours have been around for a few months, but he's just signed a three-year deal with Suzuki to race MX and SX part-time - in the pre-race conference for Vegas, he said that it could be pheasible that, if it goes well, he could do another full season.

Coverage for the AMA outdoor nationals is by OLN - eyes open for post-race bit torrents, suspect it won't be on terrestrial in the UK.
Old 11 May 2006, 20:40 (Ref:1606319)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Ah, OLN, cool, thanks. I have that, .

I agree, btw, with your comments regarding way more to lose than gain. This will be his thinking I am sure.