Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Oct 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3467454)   #276
Nicklouse
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nicklouse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep seen that thread.

Basically I am wanting to see the internal build etc of the works cars as I have never knowingly seen one.

But I might have unknowingly driven one. And done changes to it.

Or what suspension did they run? Was it metro? What were the brakes? MGB discs.

Did all of them have side exit exhausts as I see on one car?
Old 6 Nov 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3472365)   #277
Nicklouse
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ok another question. Did Howley end up using one of the shells after a crash?

Or any one have a contact for them as we know they are not really doing much now.
Old 23 Nov 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3477867)   #278
volkerhalt
Rookie

Germany
Bensheim, Germany
volkerhalt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am delighted to be able to contribute to the last unsettled mystery of an important piece of the British motor racing heritage, the history and fate of the works MG Metro Turbo Group A chassis no. 007. No, it is not James Bond`s car, it is mine.

My name is Volker Anhalt, I live in Germany near Frankfurt and have owned 007 for the last 30 years. It was the last of the works Group A Metros with all the latest modifications and improvements learned from the previous chassis and was built in early 1984 for the German DTM driven by Armin Hahne in Hockenheim and Zolder in Massa livery.

Massa, the then biggest German department store company, had opened a Austin Rover dealership and workshop in each of their 23 stores in 1984. To promote the brand with the models Mini and Metro my company Anhalt Motorsport Technik (AMT) got the job of developing and building a special Mini version for Massa in 1984. These cars had uprated engines, suspension, interior and 13” wheels (we were the inventors of the 13” Mini wheels which were much later adopted by Austin Rover).

After Austin Rover withdrew their Rover SD1 and the Metros from the BTCC caused by the arrogance of one certain Tom W. Massa organized the transfer of Metro no. 007 from Austin Rover UK to Austin Rover Germany so I could buy it in autumn 1984 to run and race it the following year in the DTM.

After running and racing one of the Datapost Metros quite successfully in the Deutsche Rundstreckenmeisterschaft in 1984, actually Alan Curnow`s car which I still own, with very little sponsorship money from Massa which could barely cover the travelling costs I only managed 4 races in 1985 with 2 DNFs because of minor mechanical failures in Zolder and Erding, a 3rd place in free practice at the Nürburgring in April with the race unfortunately cancelled because of snow on the track and a 15th place in Mainz-Finthen with no brakes for the last 9 laps at least beating the works Sierra Cosworths of Niedzewitz and Reuter. The car was the absolute spectator`s favourite being by far the smallest of the touring cars but spitting the longest flame of them all out of the rear silencer. Since then the poor vehicle has been lurking in a distant corner of my workshop barely seeing any daylight and collecting loads of dust. However not all is lost because this little lap time giant is now being rebuilt completely regardless of cost to the highest possible standard which it certainly deserves. I haven´t decided yet wether to race it in 2015 or sell it.

So far we have completely disassembled the car, then most components corrosion protected which makes it highly suitable as a collector`s car and finally assembled with every wearing part being replaced. It is being rebuilt as raced in totally original and genuine works state, down to the last nut and bolt, nothing changed or modified, everything absolutely original as developed by Austin Rover Motorsport. This leaves us to rebuild the power unit with its semi dry sumped most powerful ever A-series engine (what a title!) and renew the paintwork which should be finished before Christmas.

Hope this has been of any interest to you, and don`t hesitate to ask any questions which I hopefully will be able to answer. I also hope I haven´ t annoyed any member by making too many spelling mistakes or any bad grammar (see Forum rules).
Old 24 Nov 2014, 07:22 (Ref:3478104)   #279
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hello Volker

Welcome to our forum and thanks for such an intriguing and informative post!!

Very interesting that the car is being readied for a possible return to duty?

I guess it could go in DTM Revival or the Peter Auto series and of course the UK series run by MRL to join Patrick Watts' similar car if your time and budget permits?

Lool forward to your reply and further posts!
Old 24 Nov 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3478379)   #280
Ross Curnow
Rookie

Ross Curnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I would introduce myself on this thread, I am Alan Curnow's son Ross. Great to see pictures of some of Dad's Metro's. I have also sent him a link to this thread.

Volker please could you post some pictures of the car, myself and my dad would really like to see them. If you do plan on selling the car please let me know.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 22:30 (Ref:3478394)   #281
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hi Ross good to have you with us to and also good to hear Alan's showing an interest. .

Are you still at JD's?
Old 24 Nov 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3478399)   #282
Ross Curnow
Rookie

Ross Curnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the welcome, yes am still working for JDR, even squeezed myself back behind the wheel a couple of times this year a Lotus Elite and Elan. Great fun!
Old 25 Nov 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3478418)   #283
Nicklouse
Rookie

United Kingdom
Volker, perfect, I am just down the road in Mainz and I would very much like to have a look at your car as it will help me with my quest to find out more about a Metro that I worked on in the mid to late 90s. Not much on it was really Metro.

I will PM you with some contact details. I will be back in the UK for Xmas but will be back in Mainz in the New year.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 18:05 (Ref:3482912)   #284
volkerhalt
Rookie

Germany
Bensheim, Germany
Hello there,

please apologize my late answer but I was in Switzerland for some days with only limited access to email and internet. Anyway many thanks for the nice welcome to this excellent and informative forum. There are many forums with people chating unnecessary and stupid things and I am very happy that this is absolutely not the case here. Of course I will let you know in the next few weeks what will happen to chassis no. 007.

Cheers, Volker
Old 7 Dec 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3482947)   #285
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerhalt View Post
There are many forums with people chating unnecessary and stupid things and I am very happy that this is absolutely not the case here. Cheers, Volker
Volker, you obviously have not yet visited the 'Delta's Earl Grey Tea Break' thread in the Historic Racing Today section!
Old 8 Dec 2014, 07:23 (Ref:3483038)   #286
volkerhalt
Rookie

Germany
Bensheim, Germany
Thanks for the hint, Morninggents. Amazing! What a difference! I should have referred to the thread and not the forum.
Old 8 Mar 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3512975)   #287
volkerhalt
Rookie

Germany
Bensheim, Germany
Hello everybody,

restauration of chassis no. 007 to as new condition will hopefully be finished by the end of March. I have realized in the meantime that it would be totally unrealistic for me to go racing within the next 5 years simply because of lack of time (job!). So the car is now for sale. Anybody interested? Just send me an email (office@amt-jaguar.com). Maybe we`ll see 2 Metros battling together against the big bangers on the British circuits this year.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3674040)   #288
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Surprised it hasn't cropped up before but Patrick Watts is now the proud owner of 007 which Volker has for many years. This car joins the other 2 Turbo's Patrick has acquired in the last few years.

The 3 cars that raced in 1984/85 in the BSCC are now all running in the MRL series and were seen at Silverstone at the end of July.

Great news for all Group A and ARG fans.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3674173)   #289
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Surprised it hasn't cropped up before but Patrick Watts is now the proud owner of 007 which Volker has for many years. This car joins the other 2 Turbo's Patrick has acquired in the last few years.

The 3 cars that raced in 1984 in the BSCC are now all running in the MRL series and were seen at Silverstone at the end of July.

Great news for all Group A and ARG fans.
007 was at Spa last week-end.

Last edited by chunterer; 19 Sep 2016 at 21:59.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 22:00 (Ref:3674195)   #290
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdm View Post
007 was at Spa last week-end.
Great! Is that the first time a Group A Metro has ever visited Spa?
Old 5 Oct 2016, 15:00 (Ref:3677546)   #291
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Dont know about chassis numbers but Watts entered 2 cars in HTC (Peter auto) during last Dix Mille Tours du Castellet. Co driver was Harrison, they achieved 11 th and 14 th lap time during qualification. Probably only one on the starting grid, not classified but great lap times. Amazing car among big Capris, CSL's and group A 635's !
Old 12 Jan 2020, 11:31 (Ref:3951184)   #292
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:17 (Ref:4015666)   #293
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:17 (Ref:4015667)   #294
mab01UK
Veteran

Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:18 (Ref:4015668)   #295
mab01UK
Veteran

Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:34 (Ref:4015673)   #296
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab01UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab01UK View Post
These look like Group 1. The MG Metro was Group A.

Looking at the Richard Longman Bio you can see that 1981 ans 82 (Pre Group A in the UK) he ran the Metro 1300 HLS.

https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/richard-longman/
Old 9 Nov 2020, 21:56 (Ref:4015743)   #297
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yep Peter is spot on. These 2 cars are pre Group A.
The Datapost car pictured at Mallory hairpin isfrom 1981 and the Hepolite #74 car is from Thruxton in 1982, Steve Soper leading Jon Dooley?
Old 10 Nov 2020, 11:50 (Ref:4015828)   #298
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the clarification. Those were very different times

Yes I think you’re right Chunt. Can’t think of anyone else who raced that liveried car at the time other than Soperman. Back when times were simpler in tin tops and the racing was close throughout the field. Different times as I said
Old 18 Dec 2020, 10:16 (Ref:4023583)   #299
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yours for £120k The Ex Brundle, Harvey, Watts BTCC and ETCC Group A Metro Turbo.

https://www.dhrofgo.com/for-sale/198...acing-legends/
Old 19 Dec 2020, 10:31 (Ref:4023863)   #300
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yours for £120k The Ex Brundle, Harvey, Watts BTCC and ETCC Group A Metro Turbo.

https://www.dhrofgo.com/for-sale/198...acing-legends/
Bonkers money. I know they're rare but they've hardly got any pedigree other than being excellently built by Rogers crew back in the day.

Tags
arg, btcc, group a, metro turbo, roger dowson engineering