Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Oct 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2964377)   #276
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Sorry if it's already been covered in here but does anyone know about rearward visibility on this? I'm assuming it HAS to have wing mirrors still even if running outside regs? Or would a rear-facing onboard camera suffice?

The cockpit is nothing more than any other P1 open top proto. Most of the rear bodywork is below the driver, and there is no rear wing stretching horizontally across the tail. The display car is most likely nothing more than a mockup. The final product isn't due yet, if I recall. So outboard rear mirrors will most likely provide just as much, if not more, rearward visibility.

Compared to a coupe, the rearward visibility is probably good enough, but think about the HUGE front tires now on most P1 cars. Scott Sharp never saw the Porche at PLM a couple of years ago due to the large front fenders. This will not be a problem in the DW.

dh
Old 2 Oct 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2964400)   #277
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
Would have prefered the electric or fuell cell proto to be chosen as 56th car at Le Mans
To be honest it sucks that the fuel cell car isn't racing. I'm hugely enthusiastic about the technology and it would be interesting to see how it would compare to the diesels.

Yes, I'm not a fan of how the Delta looks but I do like the fact they are pushing for efficiency.

In my opinion the best way to develop these technologies, even if they make us cringe at times is through racing. When the day comes that petrol and diesels are replaced by either pure electric or fuel cell cars, -and they will even if it doesn't happen for a while- it is the only way we can make them more efficient and more powerful. (So long as they find a way of making noise!)
Old 2 Oct 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2964405)   #278
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Making a noise is the least of there problems, the latest Audi V8 shuts down to 4-cylinders in certain situations, speakers then kick-in with a V8 sound.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2964413)   #279
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm sorry, I'd like to be enthusiastic, but the darned thing is utterly hideous.......
full agreement.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2964919)   #280
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
After seeing the show car at Petit, I still think the DW is ugly, but not nearly as much as before. They had a display case there with the REAMS material and pieces of carbon fiber showing how they react differently to gunshots and blunt force. Pretty impressive.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2964995)   #281
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So your saying its hard to kill with blunt instruments and we can't shoot it?
Kill it with fire then!
Old 3 Oct 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2965013)   #282
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
So your saying its hard to kill with blunt instruments and we can't shoot it?
Kill it with fire then!
Old 3 Oct 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2965055)   #283
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 3 Oct 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2965152)   #284
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'm sorry, I'd like to be enthusiastic, but the darned thing is utterly hideous.......
It's a thing of beauty, compared to the 2012 Dallara IndyCar.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2965163)   #285
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It's a thing of beauty, compared to the 2012 Dallara IndyCar.
Actually, it's even worse than the new Indycars. The DW was too ugly for the IRL even. Think about that for a minute. Too ugly for the IRL!
Old 3 Oct 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2965165)   #286
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Actually, it's even worse than the new Indycars. The DW was too ugly for the IRL even. Think about that for a minute. Too ugly for the IRL!
I disagree. Maybe there should be a poll.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2965175)   #287
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I disagree. Maybe there should be a poll.
Well, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Either way, the IRL is the formula of ugly. Everything about the IRL is ugly. You don't really expect ugly cars in sports car racing. Ok, they do happen and sometimes it can be justified for performance reasons, but why make such an ugly car for what will essentially be a spec class or spec subclass? Just so Don Panoz can make a few bucks on a spec car? If the ACO or IMSA wants to explore the idea of lightweight cars, fine, bring back LMP675 or something like that.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2965181)   #288
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Well, ugliness is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Either way, the IRL is the formula of ugly. Everything about the IRL is ugly. You don't really expect ugly cars in sports car racing. Ok, they do happen and sometimes it can be justified for performance reasons, but why make such an ugly car for what will essentially be a spec class or spec subclass? Just so Don Panoz can make a few bucks on a spec car? If the ACO or IMSA wants to explore the idea of lightweight cars, fine, bring back LMP675 or something like that.
You make a good point.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 23:57 (Ref:2965233)   #289
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
I don't think visual appeal played in to any part of the chassis decision in IndyCar.

After seeing the DW stationary, I am very interested to see it turn some laps. It might not be pretty sitting still, but heck who knows maybe moving around it looks better.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 00:15 (Ref:2965237)   #290
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I don't think visual appeal played in to any part of the chassis decision in IndyCar.
Surely the IRL considered appearance when considering what the face of their series would be. Then again, considering what they ended up choosing, maybe not.

As far as how it will look on the track, I guess we'll find out. I'm hoping that we won't find out, but if we do, I'm not optimistic. The simulator video is almost comical, but I guess there's only so much one can pull from a simulator video.

Anyway, I'm certainly hoping that this monstrosity won't be taking up one of the 30 alloted ALMS entries for Sebring next year if there are excessive entries. It's bad enough that it is taking one of the spots at Le Mans.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 00:49 (Ref:2965242)   #291
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
hoping that this monstrosity won't be taking up one of the 30 alloted ALMS entries for Sebring next year if there are excessive entries.
It pretty much has to run Sebring to be allowed to run LeMans, doesn't it?
Old 4 Oct 2011, 00:52 (Ref:2965243)   #292
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
It pretty much has to run Sebring to be allowed to run LeMans, doesn't it?
I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I think it is pretty much guaranteed the 56th garage as long as it shows up. I could be wrong about that though. If it does have to run before Le Mans, can't it run at Long Beach or something? Maybe the test day? Or would it have to be at the test day anyway?
Old 4 Oct 2011, 01:01 (Ref:2965247)   #293
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I don't think so. I think it is pretty much guaranteed the 56th garage as long as it shows up. I could be wrong about that though. If it does have to run before Le Mans, can't it run at Long Beach or something? Maybe the test day? Or would it have to be at the test day anyway?
I dunno. I know it has to test, and I believe it has to run in a race--no idea if there are parameters required for performance in either case. I would think it has to run the test day. But, again, I dunno. If it is rock solid into G 56, then I guess the two other teams are not doing anything at the moment.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2969821)   #294
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The DeltaWing's debut was announced in June when it won the selection for the 56th entry for next year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans. “Garage 56” is reserved for a car featuring new automotive technology previously unseen in motorsport."

DeltaWang has just won the 'Ignorant to Self Inflicted Irony' Award.....

Source.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2969880)   #295
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
"The DeltaWing's debut was announced in June when it won the selection for the 56th entry for next year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans. “Garage 56” is reserved for a car featuring new automotive technology previously unseen in motorsport."

DeltaWang has just won the 'Ignorant to Self Inflicted Irony' Award.....

Source.
So the DW now has tires and a gearbox. All they need is an engine, chassis and drivers and they will be set!
Old 12 Oct 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2969923)   #296
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
money
Old 12 Oct 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2969930)   #297
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I wish DeltaWang had been there a few years ago when USF1 desperately needed a car.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2970021)   #298
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So the DW now has tires and a gearbox. All they need is an engine, chassis and drivers and they will be set!
They're apparently in negotiations with two manufactuers for a GRE, basically a WRC motor.

Those available are Ford, Citroen, BMW, VW/Skoda, maybe a few more out there too.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2970058)   #299
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
They're apparently in negotiations with two manufactuers for a GRE, basically a WRC motor.

Those available are Ford, Citroen, BMW, VW/Skoda, maybe a few more out there too.
I'm not very familiar with the WRC formula, are these engines something you buy from a manufacturer without support, or do they attach engineers with the deal? If so, I wonder how much factory involvement there will be on the engine side?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2970094)   #300
JAG
Veteran

England
WRC's cost around £400k apiece so the cars and engines are high tech pieces of kit.

That being said their are probably hundreds of customer cars of various vintages run around the world by small teams.

I said earlier in the thread if DW are buying tubs from Prodrive they could also use the BMW 1.6T from the Mini WRC, that's if they don't get official support from one of the other suppliers.