Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 17 Jul 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3278646)   #1
f1replaytv
Rookie

f1replaytv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Budding Journalists and Motorsport fans needed

Hi Guys.
I have long been a motorsport fan and wondered how great it would be to create a magazine, tv channel online, or radio station completely dedicated to Motorsport. There are already some great examples but wouldnt it be great to run something for the fans by the fans. It would also mean that us fans would be able to get closer to the sport we love and give us a more indepth look. A magazine could be distributed online easily, a channel cold be run of Ustream but would require us to somehow get some series on board, and a radio can also be run online easily and could provide chat shows and commentary from circuits. Just looking to see if anyone wants to get involved or has any other ideas.
Many Thanks
Luke
Old 17 Jul 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3278662)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I note your chosen user name and yet you talk of 'motorsport'. Do you have F1 particularly in mind?
Old 17 Jul 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3278733)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you have the backing to host servers, the timelines to upload content as and when , and the ability to access decent pictures then I am sure I could help

There are those who think my opinions are largely rubbish, but stuff I have had published online over the years is always well researched and received.

Also, how old are you and can you keep at this for years even though you go through periods where noone takes much interest?

Depends also what you want to cover, I would advise against F1 as unless you have press passes and access to releases and or drivers, you are gong to struggle to get anything new.

If it was up to me, you need to be controversial without being defamatory, funny without being rude and have access to decent pictures. Think of F1 rejects maybe.

Look at something like Speedhunters to see how a site can run with a theme, with contributors from all over the world.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 14:23 (Ref:3278735)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The key is to look around at what's already out there (acres and acres of it) and see if you can come up with something slightly different. A new slant, a specific insight.

Rubbish opinions are fine as long as they're well written.
Old 17 Jul 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3278759)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the problem with controversy is that it annoys people. the same people you need to talk to and form working relationships with to get the gossip and news to report on something in a way that others don't....
Old 17 Jul 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3278857)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Controversy doesn't have to upset people really.

You can write columns under a pseudonym if necessary. But might stillg et wrong attention

My reasons are to try and get interest, you don't necessarily have to day anything hugely bad, just offer an opinion, its called being a columnist.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 10:15 (Ref:3279034)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it doesn't take people very long to figure out a pseudonym, i'm afraid

i think you need to work out why the major publications and sites don't rock the boat more often, and then realise that those same factors will affect you if you try and do the same.

the key, as garc says, is to do something different. that doesn't need to be controversial. in running a self-promotion project like a blog or something, you need to figure out what you're good at and what you should probably try and get someone else to do.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 04:49 (Ref:3279262)   #8
lemansnsx
Rookie

lemansnsx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The posters above are right. With very few exceptions the "journalists" in this business are way too dependent on the hands that feed them to risk anything even slightly offensive. Unfortunately they do nothing but puff pieces and regurgitated press releases ever fearful that they will be denied access if they write anything controversial.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 07:46 (Ref:3279289)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
See, from this tiny fish bowl you already have wildly differing views

Try looking at sniffpetrol, its funny without being overly controversial, might be a little racey at times.

You need a theme, something different, simply regurgitating press releases is pretty much all most journos do these days, look at crash or autosport, especially online, I know I have done it myself and it takes an awful long time to rewrite stuff from PR people!

I really don't think must journos do this in fear, I think they do it coz they are lazy!

All you do is get the release, ring someone to get some quotes to make it 'yours' then write it, the basic work has been done for you.

Opinion is the future of a web based motorsport site, not news, plenty of people do that already with far more money, backing and ad space. And you will not beat them down easily.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3279310)   #10
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My first thought was there has been no mention of revenue or profit in any of the posts...............so why do it?

I would also argue that if you are prepared to hunt around there are plenty of internet outlets that give those who do not work in the business the inside track. There are also still a number of professional journalists and writers who do things in the old school way. There are also a growing number of wannabees who pretend that they have an inside line, make stuff up and just repeat press releases.

Joe Saward puts this eloquently HERE

As to writing just puff pieces etc...........well in most top level motorsport access to the main characters is strictly controlled, if you try and go outside of that there will be sanctions, especially in a closed shop like Formula One. I suspect a similar situation prevails in NASCAR and I know that you cannot speak to drivers/management etc at the top endurance teams without the press police being present. Few are brave or principled enough to disregard this situation.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3279315)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I very much doubt you will ever make a profit from starting a website about motrosport, unless you have a verty good understanding of online ad reveue and its necessary issues

As for being brave to go against the PR lobby, well you dont have to.

You can have opinion and comment without going to meetings! So why on earth do you need to speak to people!

A lot of old journos hate the internet, it has cut off a huge bloody supply to them, in that news is not only their domain
Old 19 Jul 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3279423)   #12
f1replaytv
Rookie

No guys, I do not have F1 in mind, F1 Replay TV is another channel I have on youtube and currently run as my tv channel. I was thinking more club racing, I know that Alan Gow is enthusiastic for youngsters to get involved, I am 16 years of age, dont let that put you off though, I am predicted high pass rates in English and Media Studies, have done my school radio project, done commentary online on my own channel and have the know how to make a basic tv channel work on Ustream, Magazine will be easy and radio pips. If anyones interested then great we can get together and start working on this, money is not an option, the magazine could be free online or could charge and pay people on pay pal if need be,
Would be great for you to help out, would really need the following things
RADIO - Commentators (like me), Reporters, get a commentary box at events
TV - Cameraman, Ability to get into locations
MAGAZINE - Reporters, Columnists, Photographer
Old 19 Jul 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3279454)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Gotta be honest with you friend

Until you get some experience, this all sounds a little naieve!

Noone is going to do a lot of that stuff for free!

But I wish you well
Old 19 Jul 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3279467)   #14
f1replaytv
Rookie

No guys, I do not have F1 in mind, F1 Replay TV is another channel I have on youtube and currently run as my tv channel. I was thinking more club racing, I know that Alan Gow is enthusiastic for youngsters to get involved, I am 16 years of age, dont let that put you off though, I am predicted high pass rates in English and Media Studies, have done my school radio project, done commentary online on my own channel and have the know how to make a basic tv channel work on Ustream, Magazine will be easy and radio pips. If anyones interested then great we can get together and start working on this, money is not an option, the magazine could be free online or could charge and pay people on pay pal if need be,
Would be great for you to help out, would really need the following things
RADIO - Commentators (like me), Reporters, get a commentary box at events
TV - Cameraman, Ability to get into locations
MAGAZINE - Reporters, Columnists, Photographer
Old 19 Jul 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3279470)   #15
f1replaytv
Rookie

Sorry, that previous message was repeated, Thanks guys, hope this gets somewhere one day, Chunder I will contact you again if something happens in a couple of years
Old 19 Jul 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3279518)   #16
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble with covering any sport is that rights are expensive.
You can't just do radio commentary on a race without paying someone for the right to do so.

Similarly, you can't just turn up at a circuit and film. In addition to the rights, there's huge amounts you need to do to fulfil the circuits health and safety rules.

Tags
btcc