Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 7 Oct 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3314175)   #1
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of Dario career?

It could look bad to make the question today, but a consideration should give it: yesterday's crash could put an end to the career of Franchitti? I do not mean just in the true sense of the word, I'm sure that next year we'll see him at the start of the first race of the season...but last win of Franchitti is a year and a half ago...do you think this crash can mark his final decline?
Old 7 Oct 2013, 16:34 (Ref:3314184)   #2
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what he is feeling now. He may be thinking about trying to get back for the finale, he may be emotionally a wreck having just experienced a wreck similar to those that killed Jeff Krosnoff and his good friend Dan Wheldon, or he may have written off this season but be planning a comeback next season.

But, as inhumane as it seems to say it now, with Kanaan moving to Ganassi, will it be Kimball or Dario leaving? I doubt it will be Dixon.

But, lets question this later, and wait for Dario to recover fully and be back to his best soon.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3314206)   #3
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Again, the most important thing is that all of his health problems will be surmountable. He escaped lightly compared to what could've been and the crowd was particularly fortunate.

The OP reminds me of Fittipaldi. He crashed at Michigan and that was it for him in terms of his career. Don't know where Dario is at in his mind really. He's been in or around multicar crashes that look like airline crashes and he's come back for some more each time. My mind maybe slipping but this is the first crash he's had significant injury so maybe that'll give him further pause for thought.

My betting is this: he'll get back in the car and when he does, he'll have forgotten this and will be competitive again.

In the meantime, whilst Franchitti recuperates, I wonder who will be caretaker for his car at Fontana?
Old 7 Oct 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3314216)   #4
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Who knows, he has nothing to prove so no one would blame him if he stopped.

But the mindset of a top line driver is completely different to the rest of us, they have a drive, motivation and competitive spirit that enables them to carry on when others would give up.

Let's wait for him to recover before we speculate too much!
Old 7 Oct 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3314218)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so fast. He's not even out of hospital yet. Here's wishing Dario (and the other 3 people who were brought to hospital, too) a full and quick recovery.

Too bad it happened but that is one dangerous corner, though exciting to drive for sure.

Franchitti had 2 "significant" injuries prior to this accident. One in IndyCar in the early 00s which put him on the sidelines for a while, and he broke a leg during his year in NASCAR.

Regarding the possibilities for a temporary replacement driver in the #10 car, a lot of people who have driven the DW-12 on an oval before are involved in the Petit Le Mans ALMS race which is held on the same day as Fontana. I don't know who is unavailable. Briscoe surely is because Panther have lined up Servia. And it would be a surprise if Chip Ganassi chose a driver with no prior experience in the car as a temporary replacement for the season finale when his other car is fighting for the title.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3314244)   #6
Speed Merchant 91
Rookie

United States
Gilbert, Arizona
Speed Merchant 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
But, as inhumane as it seems to say it now, with Kanaan moving to Ganassi, will it be Kimball or Dario leaving? I doubt it will be Dixon.
o
I know it's off topic but I believe Ganassi are expanding to 4 cars which means everyone is staying put.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Dario and the injured spectators and thank God it wasn't worse.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3314335)   #7
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been wondering about Dario for a couple years now. He clearly hasn't been on it this year, nowhere near Dixon's pace.

This has been kind of the first year where the shift of luck has been more on Dixons side than Franchitti's, though only slightly. But it's meant Dixon on his way to winning the title almost, while Dario's best finish is only 3rd and 8th in points. Apart from Pocono, he hasn't really looked fast enough to win any races. The few times where he has been in front, he dropped back quickly. His pole at Sonoma; Dixon passed him around the outside. His pole at Toronto; Dixon passed him twice in the race, the second time within only a few corners of falling behind after Dixon butchered the restart. His pole at Long Beach, can't quite remember what happened, but I think he was struggling with tyres and went off quickly at the end of the runs.

Up until about midway through 2012, the two of them were always pretty even on speed (Dario probably slightly more aggressive than Dixon, hence 2 titles, but also prone to making mistakes and having collisions). So I do wonder if Franchitti is at that point of his career where he's just not as quick anymore. Even Kimball won a race.

Afterall he's been racing in Indycar/Cart since 1997. 17 seasons. That's more than Schumacher in F1, and he at least had a 3 year break. Indycar is perhaps more gruelling these days, what with all the bumpy street circuits they race on.

With Dario off the pace, Will Power and Dixon pretty unstoppable, I don't see Dario being much of a contender next year, and this is quite a big injury he's suffered. And he has had some big crashes over the years, rolling at least 4 times I can remember. I would actually be a little surprised if he does continue on next season. 4 titles is a great accomplishment to retire with. Then again, Helio, Dixon, Montoya, Kanaan, they've all been around a long time now and could just as easily decide to retire. Even Rubens doesn't seem to know when to call it a day.

Especially Dixon or Helio if they win the title, it wouldn't surprise me if they decided they've accomplished everything they want to. Next year will be a tough season; with Kanaan and Montoya in top teams, Will seems to be back on form, Pagenaud's getting better. 2014 I think the only driver who could stop Will is either himself, or Dixon.

As for replacements for the next race, if they choose to do so, I think Briscoe is the only choice. He's fast on ovals and they could use him to trial different setups. This is definitely the one race where Dixon could have used a team mate, Power has been helping Helio quite a lot lately, probably doing more for Helio's title bid and taking points off Dixon, than Helio himself. Without Will Power in the race, Dixon probably would have won the last 3 races.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3314380)   #8
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would not surprise me if he decided to head to sportscars.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 8 Oct 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3314408)   #9
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A little to early to speculate as the guy is still in the hospital with another surgery to go. I wish him a quick recovery and he'll make his own decision in due time.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3314473)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's in his forties now, and maybe he think he's getting too old for this. However, I can't imagine any driver wanting to end their career like this. Kenny Brack came back for one last blast at Indy, and his injuries were a hell of lot more significant than Dario's. Dario has already broken an ankle before in a NASCAR race.

If he does decide to call it a career, I'd imagine he'd want to have one last go at the 500 first. Fingers crossed he stays on though!
Old 8 Oct 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3314492)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Regarding the possibilities for a temporary replacement driver in the #10 car, a lot of people who have driven the DW-12 on an oval before are involved in the Petit Le Mans ALMS race which is held on the same day as Fontana. I don't know who is unavailable. Briscoe surely is because Panther have lined up Servia. And it would be a surprise if Chip Ganassi chose a driver with no prior experience in the car as a temporary replacement for the season finale when his other car is fighting for the title.
Two words... Kurt Busch!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Oct 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3314501)   #12
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he has been all that far off the pace this season. He's had 7 top fives (slightly more than last year) and led 64 laps. He's also put in some decent qualifying performances. Not brilliant but not totally disastrous either.

You've also got to give credit where its due - Dixon has had an outstanding year.

There is a lot of nonsense talked about age. Mansell raced into his forties. Andretti Snr into his fifties. If you've got the desire and fitness there is no reason why you can't carry on.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3314528)   #13
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
He's in his forties now, and maybe he think he's getting too old for this. However, I can't imagine any driver wanting to end their career like this.
Everyone wants to retire from sport on his terms, but Dario has nothing left to prove or accomplish IMO. It wouldn't be as devastating as say Kubica's exit from F1.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3314545)   #14
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Ganassi's star driver injures himself prior to the 500 at Fontana...could someone give Arie Luyendyk a call?
Old 8 Oct 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3314668)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I certainly hope this is not the end of his career, if he misses Fontana so be it, he's not a championship contender. However, there are big changes a foot at Ganassi next year, with the team expanding to four cars and switching from Honda to Chevrolet and his input as a driver and his experience will be invaluable.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 16:40 (Ref:3314682)   #16
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Unless there's something undetected in the medical evaluation he'll be well able to get back into the saddle and compete.

I have a sneaky suspicion it might be more us, the fans, that are taken aback by the ferocity of the crash than Franchitti is,.

Whether he'll take a Mike Conway self evaluation or not, well, I don't think so, tbh. I think we'll see him back and competitive next year.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3314734)   #17
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
whether he'll take a Mike Conway self evaluation or not, well, I don't think so, tbh.
You mean, lost his bottle?
Old 8 Oct 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3314747)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
You mean, lost his bottle?
Well in Dario's case having, lost his taste for risking serious injury having had an accomplished career.
Old 9 Oct 2013, 00:34 (Ref:3314896)   #19
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Might be time for Dario to consider looking at doing some
team driving with his brother again. Give the open wheelers a break
for a while.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:34 (Ref:3317867)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dario should do Le Mans or something. Nothing left to achieve in Indycar and it is too dangerous to hang around in.

This is why I am sad at Montoya returning.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3317879)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Dario should do Le Mans or something. Nothing left to achieve in Indycar and it is too dangerous to hang around in.

This is why I am sad at Montoya returning.
I'm sure Dario would like another crack at the 500, only two other drivers have won it four times and as for Montoya, he wasn't doing a hell of a lot in NASCAR apart from eating hamburgers.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 14:11 (Ref:3318452)   #22
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like Tags is going to race in the #10 at Fontana.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 17:06 (Ref:3323743)   #23
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm glad Dario's injuries weren't more severe. I wish him a quick and healthy recovery in the off season and hope he comes back strong next year. It's very much true that he has nothing to prove, I'd still like to see him win another 500 and Championship now that the series is reunited.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3331417)   #24
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, so......
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3331418)   #25
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
On a serious note. Gutted.

What a crap way to end a magificent career.

Cheers Dario!